• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Man electrocutes himself while charging phone in bath

I am assuming it was this type of charger:

IMG_2348.JPG

With the transformer in the white box, which the deceased had balanced on his chest. He made the fatal assumption that if the mains plug didn't get wet, the charger would be safe, because "It wouldn't be possible to kill someone by electrocution with a normal 5V charger".

Note that this style of charger is designed so that the mains cable can be swapped out of the unit, so it would be almost impossible to keep that functionality while making the unit safe for submerged use.

I once stuck a knife in a toaster, but the house had a safety switch, preventing my sudden departure from the gene pool.

View attachment 10339

With the transformer in the white box, which the deceased had balanced on his chest. He made the fatal assumption that if the mains plug didn't get wet, the charger would be safe, because "It wouldn't be possible to kill someone by electrocution with a normal 5V charger".

Note that this style of charger is designed so that the mains cable can be swapped out of the unit, so it would be almost impossible to keep that functionality while making the unit safe for submerged use.

I've never seen a phone charger of that style before, but I guess it's plausible. Also noticed that the extension cord ran to the hallway - do bathrooms in England generally have GFCI outlets? If so, the guy very thoroughly bypassed every safety measure installed to keep him from electrocuting himself so I seriously doubt a warning label would have helped much...

View attachment 10339

I've never seen a phone charger of that style before, but I guess it's plausible. Also noticed that the extension cord ran to the hallway - do bathrooms in England generally have GFCI outlets? If so, the guy very thoroughly bypassed every safety measure installed to keep him from electrocuting himself so I seriously doubt a warning label would have helped much...

Standards compliant outlets without built-in RCD protection are allowed, but must be at least 3m horizontally from the edge of a bath, or 4.2m from a fixed water supply for a shower; British bathrooms are usually sufficiently small as to render section 701 of the BS 7671 wiring regulations an effective prohibition against their presence in a vast majority of homes.

The building's mains supply should also be protected by an RCD; but many homes in the U.K. were built prior to that reqirement, and it's not uncommon to find homes that would not comply with the current rules - bear in mind that plenty of U.K. houses date from the 19th Century, and most of the rest from the 1950s. There's still a fair bit of dangerously old-fashioned wiring out there.

I read another report that says he ran an extension cable from the hallway into the bathroom and the extension cable fell into the water.
Yeah, this seems more plausible than being killed by charger itself.
19_123.jpg

Incredibly the coroner thinks phones need to have a warning;

Independent

So now that some fuckwit has managed to kill himself doing something incredibly stupid, phone manufacturers may be required to put a warning on their phone.

Sounds like you're blaming the victim!! :p

I blame the killer, his wife. It's always the spouse.

I read another report that says he ran an extension cable from the hallway into the bathroom and the extension cable fell into the water.
Yeah, this seems more plausible than being killed by charger itself.
19_123.jpg

They shouldn't drink when swimming.

That picture is strange. What are they doing, cooking on an electric grill? Where does the white power cord exit the pool? What is the wood and red thing doing? There has to be more to this than meets the eye. I could see one guy doing something stupid like that, but three at once, and none are concerned about electrocution?

Looks like electric grill and not one but two extension cords. First red one with just one socket is taped to piece of wood serving as weight. Could be taped to the nipple or something of that inflated pool.
Whole thing looks staged just for the picture.

Looks like electric grill and not one but two extension cords. First red one with just one socket is taped to piece of wood serving as weight. Could be taped to the nipple or something of that inflated pool.

I did an image search on google to try to find the source of that picture, and all I got was dozens and dozens of articles on "Why women live longer than men". :laughing-smiley-014

You have the cord coming from the grill into the power strip. Then the power strip needs a grounded extension cord. Hence the red cord with the big female end. But that red cord is heavy and would obviously pull any cord attached to it and fall down, yanking the grill into the pool. Hence the piece of wood to secure it and then it's taped to the pool.

They don't look Russian. Russians wouldn't be drinking beer or wearing swimsuits. The area around them is very clean and nice and there appears to be a late model car behind them. I'm thinking some place in Scandinavia.

Staged? They wouldn't be showing the concern they are if it were staged.

You have the cord coming from the grill into the power strip. Then the power strip needs a grounded extension cord. Hence the red cord with the big female end. But that red cord is heavy and would obviously pull any cord attached to it and fall down, yanking the grill into the pool. Hence the piece of wood to secure it and then it's taped to the pool.

They don't look Russian. Russians wouldn't be drinking beer or wearing swimsuits. The area around them is very clean and nice and there appears to be a late model car behind them. I'm thinking some place in Scandinavia.
I am pretty sure that Russians have access to both beer and swimsuits. Indeed, there are some very well regarded Russian beers out there at the moment - the Baltika brewery company, based in St Petersburg (but with breweries across Russia, and even one in Baku, Azerbaijan) is a major exporter of beer.

They don't all spend the entire year up to their arses in snowdrifts, swigging vodka.

Unless they were to use some new and innovative staging technique, such as what I understand the thespians call 'acting'.

If you think that you can tell whether a photo is staged or not just by looking at its content, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

So russians would be naked drinking vodka in some dirt?
They have all kinds of beer in Russia. And swimsuits looks very typical for Russia. Even power strip looks like the one I have.
There are clean places in Russia too, and cars. But most important clue is their mugs, which don't look italian/british/french/german at all.
Could be some eastern European, Czech for example.
He looks concerned but not about being electrocuted , he is concerned if powerstrip would float for the stage photo, or it's a good acting. In any case it's too stupid to be real.

They have all kinds of beer in Russia. And swimsuits looks very typical for Russia. Even power strip looks like the one I have.
There are clean places in Russia too, and cars. But most important clue is their mugs, which don't look italian/british/french/german at all.
He looks concerned but not about being electrocuted , he is concerned if powerstrip would float for the stage photo, or it's a good acting. In any case it's too stupid to be real.

47 years of observing humans has led me to conclude that there is NOTHING that is too stupid to be real.

47 years of observing humans has led me to conclude that there is NOTHING that is too stupid to be real.
Well, according to Many World Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics anything is not only possible but actually happening.
But in this particular case we are led to believe that there not one but 3 complete idiots in one place plus 4th who just happened to take a picture at that moment. It's clear to me that person who took the picture knew that the picture had to be taken :) I am assuming it's not a frame from the video.

I can show you a dozen pictures right off the bat of something that looks too stupid to be real...but is.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure that Russians have access to both beer and swimsuits. Indeed, there are some very well regarded Russian beers out there at the moment - the Baltika brewery company, based in St Petersburg (but with breweries across Russia, and even one in Baku, Azerbaijan) is a major exporter of beer.

They don't all spend the entire year up to their arses in snowdrifts, swigging vodka.

Unless they were to use some new and innovative staging technique, such as what I understand the thespians call 'acting'.

If you think that you can tell whether a photo is staged or not just by looking at its content, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

A staged photo would be better composed than this one is.

Back
Top Bottom