• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Man swept out to sea during baptism at Santa Barbara County park

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I hate to laugh at someone being killed, but this is just too funny:

A 43-year-old man was swept out to sea Sunday during a baptism ceremony at a coastal park in northern Santa Barbara County.

Two other people were also dragged into the ocean but returned to shore during the early morning service at Rancho Guadalupe Dunes Preserve. But an extensive search by emergency teams failed to find the missing man by nightfall...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-me-ln-man-lost-coastal-baptism-20140330,0,2458234.story

Here's the post I started at "the old place" before realizing FRDB is not long for this world:

So tell me, what exactly happened here?

- God couldn't wait to call him home as soon as he was baptized?
- He wasn't sincere in his faith, so God punished him?
- The devil did it when God looked away?
- God works in mysterious ways?

Really curious as to how the religious would justify this?

Of course, had he been swept away and rescued by the coast guard, it would have been a .... "miracle".......

Sounds like a rip current. If I'm right about that, then the church was negligent for not warning people about rip currents.

When people get caught in those, their instinct is to swim towards the shore, but a human isn't strong enough to swim against one of those currents, so they just exhaust and then get swept out to sea where they drown. If you ever get caught in one, remember to swim parallel to the shore (to get out of the rip tide), and once you're out of the current, then swim towards the shore.

This concludes today's safety tip.

Jeebus didn't save him??? Sounds like a clear breach of contract by our lord and savior. I'd sue.

Without a doubt, at the funeral the pastor used one of the cloying formulaic pronouncements: God called him home early/Jesus needs him up in heaven to be an angel...(Urp -- throwing up a little here...) Of course, if it's Christopher Hitchens dying young, you'll see the saintly Christian bloggers claiming that God struck him down in vengeance. Must be nice to have a dumb answer for everything.

Here's the post I started at "the old place" before realizing FRDB is not long for this world:

So tell me, what exactly happened here?

- God couldn't wait to call him home as soon as he was baptized?
- He wasn't sincere in his faith, so God punished him?
- The devil did it when God looked away?
- God works in mysterious ways?

Really curious as to how the religious would justify this?

Of course, had he been swept away and rescued by the coast guard, it would have been a .... "miracle".......

The Lord giveth...and the Lord taketh away. (Giggle)

Park authorities warn on their website that the surf at the spot can be "very dangerous."

But why would that matter if you have god on your side? If faith can move mountains, surely that area would be no issue?

Afterlife assurance. Yeah, he's taken care of.

The funny bit was his wife. Jumping up and down on the shore, shouting: The car keys! Harry, throw me the car keys!

Back
Top Bottom