• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Massive Demonstrations Happening In Iran

President Biden not only supported the protesters vocally - in a speech to the United Nations, no less - but levied massive sanctions on the host nation and has been vigorous in trying to build a network to allow protesters communicate through their government's information blockade.

From the speech: "[The US] stands the brave citizens and brave women of Iran, who right now are demonstrating to secure their basic rights.”

Yea, it’s not much though, a one sentence acknowledgement slipped into a speech about Russia mostly. Sanctions, weren’t they already planned due to Iran’s support of Putin? Probably.
I think I found your misplaced goal posts over here. Do you need them back?

Iran is a young country, in the demographic sense. They're the ones in the streets. Hopefully as this young generation ages and takes over the levers of power, Iran will become more free.
Bruh, Iranians been gangsta. You must not have any Iranian friends. The people in the streets aren't all fresh out of diapers for a reason.

Edit: America (like usual) screwed up multiple opportunities to make them allies. I'm not gonna point fingers at any particular party. Because I can't.

\
Ahhhhh! I get it now. Had Kaepernick been kneeling over Iranian treatment of women... that'd been okay.
Choice of causes matters. He chose to kneel over a thug who stabbed a man right after being released on parole for an armed robbery conviction.

Swizzle doesn't see the connection between people in America protesting for basic rights and Iranians protesting for Basic rights.
That whole derail is false equivalence. Especially since the the 2020 rioters were not "protesting" for basic rights.

Swizzle doesn't see the connection between people in America protesting for basic rights and Iranians protesting for Basic rights.
That whole derail is false equivalence. Especially since the the 2020 rioters were not "protesting" for basic rights.
There is no more basic right than the right to life for the living human beings. Protesting to not have the life taken away by a sadistic agent of the state is protesting for a basic right.

There was a democracy movement in Iran. We installed the Shah as an anti communist ally. We did not want the oil nationalized.
Mosaddegh wasn't exactly a democrat himself, no matter how much revisionist history wants to make him into one.
Not long before being deposed, he gave himself decree powers and stopped counting of votes so he would not lose the lead.
Stealing US and British assets is also not good. If foreign companies invest in your oil sector, you should not just get to take it.

While the Shah had his faults, the weird beards are 1000x worse. And it is a shame that western counties allowed themselves to be bamboozled by Khomeini.

There is no more basic right than the right to life for the living human beings.
And the people killed during the riots, did they have a "right to life"?
People, including police, make mistakes. And yet, when a black guy is killed by police (or even kills himself while police are pursuing him) #BLMers have been rioting.
Protesting to not have the life taken away by a sadistic agent of the state is protesting for a basic right.
They were not just protesting. They were rioting. They were "burning this bitch down". They were looting. They were even killing people.

There is no more basic right than the right to life for the living human beings.
And the people killed during the riots, did they have a "right to life"?
Try to focus, the ones killed by rioters did not have their rights violated by the government.
People, including police, make mistakes. And yet, when a black guy is killed by police (or even kills himself while police are pursuing him) #BLMers have been rioting.
Protesting to not have the life taken away by a sadistic agent of the state is protesting for a basic right.
They were not just protesting. They were rioting. They were "burning this bitch down". They were looting. They were even killing people.
Get a grip on yourself - the vast majority of protesters were not rioting. They were protesting against police violence and the indiscriminate loss of life at the hands of the police. The Floyd killing sparked protests around the world. Clearly, the killing of George Floyd hit a chord across people in different countries, continents and cultures. Moreover, not all of rioters were protesters.

Your depiction is a gross exaggeration and reeks of bigotry.

Rashida Tlaib on Twitter: "📣📣📣" / Twitter
noting
Yassmin Abdel-Magied on Twitter: "To be (hijabi) or not be (hijabi) is the business of no state or man. Solidarity with women resisting patriarchal control, the world over. 💪🏾" / Twitter

She also retweeted AOC on the Iranian protests.

Mitchell Plitnick 🔥🕎 on Twitter: "One bigoted dissembler after another is tweeting that @IlhanMN is not supporting the protesting women in #Iran. Actually she made her support clear before these cynical phonies knew what was going on, but why let facts get in the way of your expressions of hate? (pic link)" / Twitter
Subhanallah. I can't imagine the agony her loved ones feel. Those responsible for her death should be held accountable and the world should be united in fighting against the policing of what women wear and how they show up in society. Banning the Hijab is not much different than forcing one on women. Religious beliefs are personal and should never be imposed on anyone. Ala ya rahma
Subhanallah = Allah is Perfect ~ Glory to Allah ~ How Free of Imperfection is Allah

Schoolgirls in Iran have been waving their headscarves in the air and chanting against clerical authorities, in an unprecedented show of support for the protests engulfing the country.
Videos verified by the BBC showed demonstrations inside schoolyards and on the streets of several cities.
They echoed the wider unrest sparked by the death last month of a woman who was detained for breaking the hijab law.
In Karaj, girls reportedly forced an education official out of their school.
Footage posted on social media on Monday showed them shouting "shame on you" and throwing what appear to be empty water bottles at the man until he retreats through a gate.

Sigh, I said nothing about rioters. I said protestors. There's a difference. I presume you can tell the difference as well what I'll give you an opportunity to explain is why have you decided without queue to talk about rioters instead of protestors.

I don't have time to play Whack-a-Mole refuting all the half-truths from the Board's anti-democrats. But I do try to make time to refute a tiny few of the most egregious.
There was a democracy movement in Iran. We installed the Shah as an anti communist ally. We did not want the oil nationalized.
Mosaddegh wasn't exactly a democrat himself, no matter how much revisionist history wants to make him into one.
Not long before being deposed, he gave himself decree powers and stopped counting of votes so he would not lose the lead.
Wikipedia offers a different opinion on the  1952 Iranian legislative election:
The elections were held by Government of Mosaddegh, who championed free elections and tried to minimize fraud by changing several governor-generals and governors. He also ordered members of the electoral supervisory councils to be selected by lot.... Richard Cottam describes the elections as "relatively free".
... U.S. State Department documents declassified in 2017 reveal that their strategy was to undermine Mohammad Mosaddegh through parliament and the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) spent lot of money to get their 18 favorable candidates elected.

Stealing US and British assets is also not good. If foreign companies invest in your oil sector, you should not just get to take it.

This is an ignorant summary of Mosaddegh's nationalization. It was Britain which had exploited and even provoked chaos and corruption in Iran to acquire ("steal" if you will) Iran's petroleum in the first place. Second, the nationalization did offer compensation to the British company. A country has the right to possess the country's possessions. Google "eminent domain" if you don't understand this.

If it amuses you to find examples of one country "stealing" from another, you'd get far more incidents if you searched for stealing BY the big Anglophone powers. Heck; Just start with 1953 when CIA and MI6 stole Iran's hard-won democracy from the Iranian people.

The protests and violent suppression are are not letting up.

This is the latest flare up of women's rights protests in Iran since 2017. Iranian protests against compulsory hijab - Wikipedia.

But this has been the largest and most widespread, it's supported by more demographics than the usual urban centers.

Odds are still against it making any change, especially lately.

Even as Iranians Rise Up, Protests Worldwide Are Failing at Record Rates - The New York Times.

Weird, won't wear the hijab but will wear a mask outside. :unsure:
That's what you got from that???
You just don't get that being forced to wear a mask is as oppressive as being forced to wear a Hijab under penalty of arrest and potential death. This is serious business, Zipr!!11!

Back
Top Bottom