• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Matter/energy/spacetime qualia

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
How is one qualia selected from the whole palette?

What selects a specific qualia?

Does every point in spacetime have the whole qualia palette available to it, given the right configuration of matter to extract the qualia?

Does matter contain the qualia, and unleash it, or is it contained in spacetime, and unleashed by certain configurations of matter?

Is there research into this?

How would one go about researching this?

How would one go about testing various configurations to find out what qualia are unleashed by specific configurations of matter?

Is it still too soon to ask these questions?

Is building a big block of dopamine or serotonin like building a big orgasm? <-- silly, or could we make a new big bang with an associated spacetime collapse until something akin to us exists again?

A mind experiences things.

There is the experience of "red". A different experience depending on the external conditions and therefore stimulus.

But what is the "qualia" of "red"?

I know there are experiences.

How is a "qualia" different from "something experienced"?

Does every point in spacetime have the whole qualia palette available to it, given the right configuration of matter to extract the qualia?

Does matter contain the qualia, and unleash it, or is it contained in spacetime, and unleashed by certain configurations of matter?

How would one go about testing various configurations to find out what qualia are unleashed by specific configurations of matter?

Is building a big block of dopamine or serotonin like building a big orgasm? <-- silly, or could we make a new big bang with an associated spacetime collapse until something akin to us exists again?

You must be doing your New Year's Eve drinking early.

I never quite understood qualia and take ito be somewhat onsite outside of pre 20th century modern science.

What is qualia and how would you scientifically measure it?

Subjective component of sense perceptions. Your personal experience of what something like blueness is.

I use the idea of qualia to cover things like the sensation of thinking a word, of perceiving a thought, of thinking itself, of time passing, of space existing (distance), etc. in addition to the "traditional" quale of blueness, redness, sweetness, strawberry tartness...

I don't know that qualia "unlocking" is completely outside of all 20th century science, maybe it's outside of science available to commoners/civilians. I just wonder how specific qualia are unleashed/amplified/selected from the whole palette.

There must be a specific way that parts of the whole are unlocked. Like interference patterns from the whole somehow suppress parts, and allow other parts to become dominate. Like blueness is always there, but only sometimes is it dominate over other quale. Maybe something amplifies certain quale at certain times, which is when we experience them.

Maybe most of the time, quale are rather dampened.

I want to know how they are unleashed. What symbols, exact mathematical physical forms unleash them. Are these forms all created by attaching neutrons/protons electrons together in certain ways that unleash pulses of experience that ultimate form out experiences?

Are quantum scale behaviors those patterns of behavior that unleash quale?

Are quail quale always funny?

You need to adjust your O2/nitrous oxide mix with a bit more O2 and less laughing gas.

Energy wherever it is and whatever the form is defined by the ability to do work. Energy is a quantified definition not a subjective quality. Heavy or lite is subjective term depending on the individual.

Are you just fucking around or do you have a real question? Are you asking what reductionism means?

To repeat what has been said many times, subjective perceptions are based in chemistry. If you are trying to decompose thoughts and perceptions by reductionism that was historically metaphysics. Today probably psychology. In Buddhism karma reduces to the causal train of thoughts. How one thought leads to another and to actions.

Subjective component of sense perceptions. Your personal experience of what something like blueness is.

All experience is something created by a brain. There is the experience of blue. It is not the experience of red.

There is no "qualia" anywhere.

There is a mind experiencing what a brain creates for it to experience.

Steve, people feel shit, etc. These subjective experiences have objective existence. They are part of reality. There has to be a way to amplify, access, and manipulate qualia of different kind, on a different level than just accessing the ones our brain already unlocks, by using our body.

In other words, there has to be a physical way to access qualia and build experiences out of them, a fundamental way that qualia can be accessed and manipulated.

So the idea is, how?

Another idea is "are they accessed through matter, are they part of spacetime?"

This isn't just philosophy- it's a question about whether people are trying to figure out how to craft conscious experiences, to extract blue from the universe. I'm not talking about using wavelengths of light to unleash blue from our brains- but actually create blue, or unlock blue, or amplify blue, or whatever it is that our brains do when we experience blue.

I want to unleash blue, unlock it, whatever. Not part of a brain. But a conscious experience of it separate from a brain. To create a non brain conscious experience that we know exists, even though we don't experience it our selves. We know it exists because we know how the brain creates or unlocks blue.

There is no such thing as "qualia".

There is the experience of red. A visual experience, nothing more.

Where exactly is this added "qualia"?

Now I know better than to jump into into your threads. Don't call me, I'll call you. I'll make like the wind and blow/

Now I know better than to jump into into your threads. Don't call me, I'll call you. I'll make like the wind and blow/
It's not like you're contributing anything meaningful. :D

You have absolutely no insights into whether progress is being made on extracting specific sensations from the universe?

Like whether there is research into ways to create a conscious experience outside of a brain?

Thanks for the information you provided. <-- :D

With a human there is no way to know they are experiencing blue when they say they are experiencing blue.

Even if you look at brain activity that is not looking at an experience.

With something not a human there is no way to know it is experiencing blue either.

This is a massive area of science and philosophy. Now that correlations between brain activity and qualia/consciousness reports are becoming more and more precise, there are 3 troubling questions left to answer. How does matter generate consciousness, what is consciousness and why does is exist (functionality).

The mind exists for the same reason the leg exists. For the same reason the liver exists.

Because it helps with survival.

It exists to help survive in this world.

It is not made for any other worlds.

The mind exists for the same reason the leg exists. For the same reason the liver exists.

Then it would seem that you believe that the mind affects the body. Do you believe this?

Then it would seem that you believe that the mind affects the body. Do you believe this?

How are words typed out unless the mind that chooses them can make the body type them out?

How are words typed out unless the mind that chooses them can make the body type them out?

What if the mind just thinks it's choosing the words when it is really the body?

Where is there any evidence the body knows what an idea is?

I don't know what this has to do with what I said. The ideas would all still be happening in the mind, not the body.

You are the one saying something besides the mind is choosing ideas.

How can you choose an idea if you don't even know what an idea is?

Well, all good questions but good luck with that.

I tried something very similar about science and the quality of pain, but no luck. Steve is just the more disgracefully blunt edge of the coin of the herd of hardcore materialists who fancy themselves as close to the scientific spirit. Oops, no! Spirit, no good! For spirit is something inconceivable for the hardcore materialist sheep.

We can also notice that Steve can't even offer any rational argument or fact in favour of his position. He merely asserts it as "obviously" obvious. Whoa. How come it's no so obvious to other people, then?

So, I can predict with deadly accuracy you won't have any sensible answer if you get any answer at all, I mean, appart from untermensche, the bane of the FTF poster.
EB

Back
Top Bottom