• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

May the Fourth be with you, always.

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
How are you all celebrating this most sacred of days? Quite a lot of theaters around here are doing screenings of The Phantom Menace in honor of it's twenty-fifth, and it seems like a good use of a rainy evening, so I'm dragging my trekkie boyfriend to the cinema. He drew the line as cosplaying.

How are you all celebrating this most sacred of days? Quite a lot of theaters around here are doing screenings of The Phantom Menace in honor of it's twenty-fifth, and it seems like a good use of a rainy evening, so I'm dragging my trekkie boyfriend to the cinema. He drew the line as cosplaying.
I had always heard a devoted Star Wars fan could never be in a peaceful relationship with a Trekkie. Nice to know its possible after all.

Well, no one would make that mistake around here! The way people celebrate "ethnic holidays" can be annoying, but that's a nice thing about fictional holidays. No one to offend but fellow fans, really. Or Disney by making our own swag instead of buying it from them.

Hello everyone; let me introduce myself. My name is Rip Van Winkle. I am not up on recent culture.

Some people in this thread seem to tout The Phantom Menace, which I'd never heard of. I did Google it, and learn it's one of the NEW StarWars films which I never watched. (I did watch Episode 4 and maybe 1 or 2 other episodes.) IMDB gives this one ("Episode 1"?) only 6.5 points. I usually wait for 7+. Should I watch this one anyway?

You probably wouldn't like it, to be honest? Not the most popular film at the time, though of course now there's a younger generation that views it through nostalgia goggles. Like a lot of George Lucas projects, it's a film better in concept than execution, almost redeeemed by superb art and sound direction but dragged back down by Lucas' failings as an acting director and screenwriter. Do sit down and listen to John William's score for the film, though, it's one of my favorites.

Hello everyone; let me introduce myself. My name is Rip Van Winkle. I am not up on recent culture.

Some people in this thread seem to tout The Phantom Menace, which I'd never heard of. I did Google it, and learn it's one of the NEW StarWars films which I never watched. (I did watch Episode 4 and maybe 1 or 2 other episodes.) IMDB gives this one ("Episode 1"?) only 6.5 points. I usually wait for 7+. Should I watch this one anyway?
If all you’ve seen is the original series I would recommend you stay blissfully ignorant. It’s not the worst Star Wars flick out there but it has a lot of serious flaws. If you are feeling compelled to digest more Star Wars content I would recommend Rogue One for you.

If all you’ve seen is the original series I would recommend you stay blissfully ignorant. It’s not the worst Star Wars flick out there but it has a lot of serious flaws. If you are feeling compelled to digest more Star Wars content I would recommend Rogue One for you.
Thanks. With 7.8 IMDB I'll go ahead and download that now.

Yes, Rogue One is very good. The prequel trilogy is not as good as the original trilogy, but it is better then the sequel trilogy.

Yes, Rogue One is very good. The prequel trilogy is not as good as the original trilogy, but it is better then the sequel trilogy.
Then. If rogue one is enjoyed move on to Andor, one of the few if any of the SW tv series worth watching.

Then. If rogue one is enjoyed move on to Andor, one of the few if any of the SW tv series worth watching.
Fighting words, that.

Back
Top Bottom