• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCain sez GOP won't vote on any SCOTUS for next 4 years!

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Almost put this in the election subforum because it needs to be spread far and wide before the election: especially in Arizona.

GOP doesn't want to do the job - don't vote for them.

But in a general political discussion, WTAF, GOP???

https://thinkprogress.org/john-mcca...-to-the-supreme-court-35636acca966#.jde7oghlp

“I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up,” McCain told Giordano. He added that “this is why we need the majority.

It's because he knows Trump isn't going to win and therefore any SCOTUS nomination will come from Clinton. Therefore, the GOP will not vote for a new nominee until and unless there's a Republican in the white house.

Makes sense - although it's sad, since McCain used to be pretty good.

Almost put this in the election subforum because it needs to be spread far and wide before the election: especially in Arizona.

https://thinkprogress.org/john-mcca...-to-the-supreme-court-35636acca966#.jde7oghlp

“I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up,” McCain told Giordano. He added that “this is why we need the majority.

Liberals are exactly as bad because Benghazi!!!!!!! [/conservolibertarian]

I agree, McCain DID used to be pretty good. He was a reliable moderate Republican. I even half considered a vote for him in 2008.

But now? Refusing EVERY hypothetical USSC judge Hillary might nominate? It's pathetic.

It's also why I voted a straight Democratic ticket this time. I didn't even bother researching the individual candidates the way I usually do. Choosing to associate with Republicans in 2016 is enough for me to know that you can't be trusted in public office to even do your job.

I agree, McCain DID used to be pretty good. He was a reliable moderate Republican. I even half considered a vote for him in 2008.

But now? Refusing EVERY hypothetical USSC judge Hillary might nominate? It's pathetic.

It's also why I voted a straight Democratic ticket this time. I didn't even bother researching the individual candidates the way I usually do. Choosing to associate with Republicans in 2016 is enough for me to know that you can't be trusted in public office to even do your job.

Yeah, he went from pretty good, to total windsock, to total asshole. He is a disgrace to Naval officers everywhere.

Let's dig into this a bit...

There's no mandate that the Supreme Court have 9 justices. That's simply a tradition.

We've seen, as one example, the Supreme Court rule against preclearance for voting rights in the VRA, going against all evidence and the plain meaning of the constitution itself.

Wr've also seen republicans state, openly, that they think there are too many justices in district circuits, even as cases pile up.

And, we've seen them block a Supreme Court justice for an unprecedented period of time, because "well, let the voters decide", even as they back an obviously idiotic white nationalist, one Donald Trump.

Now, let's add Mitch McConnell's old and failed vow to "make Obama a one term president."

Again, it makes perfect sense. The GOP is out for power, the end. At least for now, there isn't much to do but vote them out of office.

(Do not take this as an attack on people who vote for Stein, or Johnson.)

Let's dig into this a bit...

There's no mandate that the Supreme Court have 9 justices. That's simply a tradition.

We've seen, as one example, the Supreme Court rule against preclearance for voting rights in the VRA, going against all evidence and the plain meaning of the constitution itself.

Wr've also seen republicans state, openly, that they think there are too many justices in district circuits, even as cases pile up.

And, we've seen them block a Supreme Court justice for an unprecedented period of time, because "well, let the voters decide", even as they back an obviously idiotic white nationalist, one Donald Trump.

Now, let's add Mitch McConnell's old and failed vow to "make Obama a one term president."

Again, it makes perfect sense. The GOP is out for power, the end. At least for now, there isn't much to do but vote them out of office.

(Do not take this as an attack on people who vote for Stein, or Johnson.)

The number of Supreme Court judges is set by law, not by tradition.

However the senate's consent for a given judge is required in the constitution.

And McCain reminds us that while Trump is a batshit insane train of fire derailing in DC, the Republicans are still a bunch of super-partisan assholes that can't be trusted with power.

Sometimes the mood can only be conveyed by a meme...

b4muxpd.jpg

So much for Letting The People Decide™.

Yeah, they only want to "let the people decide" if the people agree with them, otherwise no. Hopefully we'll get control of the Senate, and hopefully Charles Schumer and the other Democrats will have the balls to strip the Republicans of every means to use Senate procedure to delay confirmations.

And McCain reminds us that while Trump is a batshit insane train of fire derailing in DC, the Republicans are still a bunch of super-partisan assholes that can't be trusted with power.

Well, they can't risk looking like honest servants of the people by comparison, y'know...

Liberals are exactly as bad because Benghazi!!!!!!! [/conservolibertarian]

There are no libertarians in Congress. As a conservative Republican you should know that. You wanted those few remaining libertarians out of your party, they left, and now you are stuck supporting Trump.

When all you do is obstruct and have no productive plans you have outlived your usefulness.

That the Republican party still exists is clear evidence of a highly dysfunctional democracy.

A democracy controlled by wealth and manipulation of the population through emotional imagery.

Cruz and Burr have said the same as well. Remember the reason they all gave for not having any hearings on Garland? They made up their own new rule that the in a election year, the next president should get to nominate. Now, they're making another new rule, that only Republican presidents can appoint justices.

Back
Top Bottom