• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McConnell's "Freudian" Slips Out

At first, I thought this was only a “senior” moment. But GOP efforts at disenfranchisement extend beyond one racial group - it affects the poor, students, etc…
He misspoke. Like Biden does, like most politicians do. It is funny to see the typical crew come to his defense though... especially after whining about Biden gaffe'ing.

At first, I thought this was only a “senior” moment. But GOP efforts at disenfranchisement extend beyond one racial group - it affects the poor, students, etc…
He misspoke. Like Biden does, like most politicians do. It is funny to see the typical crew come to his defense though... especially after whining about Biden gaffe'ing.
I do not accept that he did, anymore. Biden misspoke. He clearly did so, as after he spoke the words he kept speaking other words that clarified intent, and revealed, at the very least, some embarrassment.
When you pose it as "African Americans" and "all Americans" it's pretty close.

When you pose it as "Minorities and White Americans" it looks a lot different...

...African Americans are not alone in having their vote suppressed.

My husband just watched a video and I couldn't believe what my ears heard from across the room.
You couldn't believe hearing someone utter a fact?
I couldn't believe someone mixed a "qualified descriptor" with an "unqualified descriptor".

It is a direct implication of lesser regard.
No, it isn't. At best, it would imply that McConnell thinks black people are not Americans.

I am sure he doesn't think that, I am sure you don't think he thinks that, and your post is a ludicrous grasping at straws, and I'm sorry I participated as much as I already did.

You are correct: At best, his statement implies that McConnell thinks that black people are not real Americans. He said the silent part out loud. And we all heard it.
Non. McConnell does not think black Americans are not American citizens. The insinuation--'real' Americans, whatever that means--is yours.
I stand corrected: We didn't ALL hear it.

In any case, McConnell was wrong.

The 2020 election must also be remembered for another turnout statistic: 70.9 percent of white voters cast ballots while only 58.4 percent of nonwhite voters did. As the graph below shows, 62.6 percent of Black American voters, 53.7 percent of Latino American voters, and 59.7 percent of Asian American voters cast ballots in 2020.
If sufficiently motivated by a cause or candidate, non-white voters can get to the polls and vote in the same proportion as white voters. Somehow they managed to do this with whitey blocking their every move. ;)

2008 Surge in Black Voters Nearly Erased Racial Gap

In last year’s presidential election, younger blacks voted in greater proportions than whites for the first time and black women turned out at a higher rate than any other racial, ethnic and gender group, a census analysis released Monday confirmed.

As a result, in the election that produced the nation’s first black president, the historic gap between black and white voter participation rates over all virtually evaporated.

In 2012, black voter turnout surpassed white turnout

America's blacks voted at a higher rate than other minority groups in 2012 and by most measures surpassed the white turnout for the first time, reflecting a deeply polarized presidential election in which blacks strongly supported Barack Obama while many whites stayed home.

My husband just watched a video and I couldn't believe what my ears heard from across the room.
I couldn't believe someone mixed a "qualified descriptor" with an "unqualified descriptor".

No, it isn't. At best, it would imply that McConnell thinks black people are not Americans.

I am sure he doesn't think that, I am sure you don't think he thinks that, and your post is a ludicrous grasping at straws, and I'm sorry I participated as much as I already did.

You are correct: At best, his statement implies that McConnell thinks that black people are not real Americans. He said the silent part out loud. And we all heard it.
Non. McConnell does not think black Americans are not American citizens. The insinuation--'real' Americans, whatever that means--is yours.

The 2020 election must also be remembered for another turnout statistic: 70.9 percent of white voters cast ballots while only 58.4 percent of nonwhite voters did. As the graph below shows, 62.6 percent of Black American voters, 53.7 percent of Latino American voters, and 59.7 percent of Asian American voters cast ballots in 2020.
If sufficiently motivated by a cause or candidate, non-white voters can get to the polls and vote in the same proportion as white voters. Somehow they managed to do this with whitey blocking their every move. ;)

In last year’s presidential election, younger blacks voted in greater proportions than whites for the first time and black women turned out at a higher rate than any other racial, ethnic and gender group, a census analysis released Monday confirmed.

As a result, in the election that produced the nation’s first black president, the historic gap between black and white voter participation rates over all virtually evaporated.

America's blacks voted at a higher rate than other minority groups in 2012 and by most measures surpassed the white turnout for the first time, reflecting a deeply polarized presidential election in which blacks strongly supported Barack Obama while many whites stayed home.
Was there anything....special about the 2008 or 2012 elections? Any special candidate?

More importantly, has that gain in the number of black voters held? Or were those two elections somehow...different?

If sufficiently motivated by a cause or candidate, (1)non-white voters can get to the polls and vote in the same proportion as white voters. Somehow they managed to do this with whitey blocking their every move. ;)

America's blacks voted at a higher rate (2)than other minority groupsin 2012 and by most measures surpassed the white turnout for the first time[/B], reflecting a deeply polarized presidential election in which blacks strongly supported Barack Obama while many whites stayed home.
Was there anything....special about the 2008 or 2012 elections? Any special candidate?

More importantly, has that gain in the number of black voters held? Or were those two elections somehow...different?
So, two things strike me. I've bolded them and numbered them.

Together, it involves a couple disjoint bits that create some stark facts in their full context together:

Minority voters can seemingly only barely surpass white voters in turnout despite "high motivation" and historic fanfare.

This points towards massive suppression.

He is in good company.
-1x-1.jpg

Though you intended this to be a whataboutism distraction, it really puts some other things on the table for discussion such as how insidious the social construct of race is and when coupled with the op, also how whiteness is normalized. Let's add a third case, too, from Dear Leader Twitler who told AOC (and others) to go back to their home countries. The "gaffes" of these White leaders are easy to slip into for white people in the presence of cultural learnings and pressures, even if disbelieved, because of their prevalence culturally and as white people, we ought to strive to correct them when they occur. It would seem Biden tried to fix his gaffe while behaviors of the QOP are to typically double-down not only on the perpetuation of these concepts, but to also continue to affect the structures that support disparity.

If sufficiently motivated by a cause or candidate, (1)non-white voters can get to the polls and vote in the same proportion as white voters. Somehow they managed to do this with whitey blocking their every move. ;)

America's blacks voted at a higher rate (2)than other minority groupsin 2012 and by most measures surpassed the white turnout for the first time[/B], reflecting a deeply polarized presidential election in which blacks strongly supported Barack Obama while many whites stayed home.

So, two things strike me. I've bolded them and numbered them.

Together, it involves a couple disjoint bits that create some stark facts in their full context together:

Minority voters can seemingly only barely surpass white voters in turnout despite "high motivation" and historic fanfare.

This points towards massive suppression.
And new efforts at voter suppression: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/new-voting-restrictions-america

I don't believe that most Republican legislators at any level honestly believe that there is any actual deliberate voter fraud. It has long been known that almost all of the (very small number) voter fraud happens because newly paroled/otherwise released from incarceration individuals are not aware of any restrictions on their ability to vote. This is understandable as each state sets is own rules for who is eligible to vote (subject to challenge in the courts). BUT I think that it is a terrific 'issue' for them to campaign on, just as abortion rights are. And welfare fraud. By insisting that there are thousands (or more) of people voting illegally, and by people, I mean: not white people, they are massively playing to the insecurity of traditional Republican votes (largely white) who are at some level very much afraid of how their country is changing in the face of individuals who are not quite as white as they are showing up in their actual towns and cities and...voting. I mean, after all, we had a black POTUS. Definitely a sign that civilization is falling. By harping on the idea that all of these not white people are coming into OUR country, and CHANGING it by VOTING illegally, then there is created an illusion that by making sure that only legal American citizens (aka white people) can vote, they can stop this terrible change and maintain things the way they are now.

He is in good company.
-1x-1.jpg

Though you intended this to be a whataboutism distraction, it really puts some other things on the table for discussion such as how insidious the social construct of race is and when coupled with the op, also how whiteness is normalized. Let's add a third case, too, from Dear Leader Twitler who told AOC (and others) to go back to their home countries. The "gaffes" of these White leaders are easy to slip into for white people in the presence of cultural learnings and pressures, even if disbelieved, because of their prevalence culturally and as white people, we ought to strive to correct them when they occur. It would seem Biden tried to fix his gaffe while behaviors of the QOP are to typically double-down not only on the perpetuation of these concepts, but to also continue to affect the structures that support disparity.
You chastise Derec for whataboutism with Joe Biden, then you turnaround and do the same regarding Trump. :ROFLMAO:

He is in good company.
-1x-1.jpg

You chastise Derec for whataboutism with Joe Biden, then you turnaround and do the same regarding Trump. :ROFLMAO:
Uh, nice try, but no, I said Derec was intending to be distracting not informative and then I tied these events to a theme that you and Derec don't want to admit to. Is there some reason you can't talk about it?

He is in good company.
-1x-1.jpg

Don2 didn't reference a gaffe by Trump. His post referenced specifically and intentional targeted race related statements. Did you even read his post, or just noticed he mentioned Trump and then made a bunch of presumptions?

If I recall correctly, both those election had African American candidates participating in similar rates to American candidates.

Anyway, I find the outrage over McConnell's gaffe a bit superficial, considering Biden made a similar gaffe a while back. But in McConnell's case, it distracts from the factual falsehood of his statement.

If I recall correctly, both those election had African American candidates participating in similar rates to American candidates.

Anyway, I find the outrage over McConnell's gaffe a bit superficial, considering Biden made a similar gaffe a while back. But in McConnell's case, it distracts from the factual falsehood of his statement.
To a certain extent, I think you are correct but there are important distinctions. Mitch McConnell has actively worked against legislation to ensure access to voting by all Americans. Joe Biden's remark comparing poor children and white children has some basis in actual statistics. Black and Indian/Alaskan Native children are about 3 times as likely to live in poverty as are white children, with Hispanic children being nearly 3 times as likely and Pacific Islander children more than twice as likely as white children to live in poverty:

In 2016, about 19 percent of children under age 18 were living in poverty. The percentages of children living in poverty were highest for Black and American Indian/Alaska Native children (34 percent each), followed by Hispanic children (28 percent), Pacific Islander children (23 percent), and children of Two or more races (19 percent), and were lowest for White and Asian children (11 percent each).

When you pose it as "Minorities and White Americans" it looks a lot different.

regardless of any trickery on McConnell's part with their delivery, [the content] is that African Americans are not alone in having their vote suppressed.
This is why I made sure to clarify this other thing and am discussing it now in this way.

It is apparent he is hiding something much worse under a false Freudian slip

Can you [fine people] just start quoting the specific, selected bits you want to comment on, instead of re-pasting everything said up to that point?
They can't figure out how to find the [ ] icon so that they may do markup editing, not how to operate the "highlight quote/reply" functionality.

For those so challenged, [ ] is in the vertical ... Next to the undo icon (the counter-clockeise arrow).

To operate "highlight quote/reply", select the text with your cursor (on a phone it's a long touch), and then click "+quote" or "reply".

Why not?
Black folks are a subset of U.S. folks.

And the fact is that what he said is pretty accurate. Black people vote at about the same rate as the overall electorate.

Other factors include rigging the system in favor of conservative WASP voters. And conservative WASP voters vote at higher percentages than other demographics. As a result, we have a much more conservative government than the people they supposedly represent.

But what he said is fairly accurate.
Incomplete. That most excellent lie, the partial truth. However, it's true.
Tom

Why not?
Black folks are a subset of U.S. folks.

And the fact is that what he said is pretty accurate. Black people vote at about the same rate as the overall electorate.

Other factors include rigging the system in favor of conservative WASP voters. And conservative WASP voters vote at higher percentages than other demographics. As a result, we have a much more conservative government than the people they supposedly represent.

But what he said is fairly accurate.
Incomplete. That most excellent lie, the partial truth. However, it's true.
Tom
I acknowledge this.

The fact is it's either a Freudian Slip, or the kind of lie that makes me consider someone most dangerous and evil, to be opposed however possible.

The framing as a Freudian slip itself even acts to mask the lie.

The full shape of "when interpreted as lie:"

When you pose it as "Minorities and White Americans" it looks a lot different...

the kind of lie that makes me consider someone most dangerous and evil, to be opposed however possible.
I consider McConnell an extremely dangerous, evil, and accomplished liar.

But squealing about an accurate, if inconvenient, statement he made isn't particularly helpful.

This is kinda why I don't care for the folks I refer to as "Woke" or "SJWs". They put more effort into whinging on the internet or marching in parades than doing anything useful.
Tom

the kind of lie that makes me consider someone most dangerous and evil, to be opposed however possible.
I consider McConnell an extremely dangerous, evil, and accomplished liar.

But squealing about an accurate, if inconvenient, statement he made isn't particularly helpful.
Hence why at this point in any response to discussion of such is to repeat a reveal of the full shape of the lie, and how fucking much of a shitsmear he is:

When you pose it as "Minorities and White Americans" it looks a lot different....

Back
Top Bottom