• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Me Too" Judge Roy Moore

You are deliberately misconstruing my position. It is arbitrary where legislators set age of consent (even within the US it's 16-18, and internationally it goes from 13 to 21) and so to pretend that being under that cutoff signifies actual inability to consent is nonsensical.
I am not miscontruing your ill-considered position. Your international cutoff interval of 13 to 21 is just as arbitrary as the 16 to 18 even though it is a wider interval.

But the legal age of consent is not based on onset of puberty. Unless you think girls in California enter puberty at 18 and those in Bahrain at 21. :rolleyes:
Thank you for simultaneously missing the point while making the point - the cutoff is arbitrary.

You really see no difference between a 14 year old and a 3 year old?
A 14 year old is not an adult, we can agree on that, but neither is she a small, prepubescent child.
You are missing the point - any cutoff is arbitrary. So, the societal choice is to establish a cutoff or to not establish one. Revealed preference indicates that most societies choose a cutoff. Now, one can disagree with the choice of a cutoff but to argue the cutoff is wrong because it is "arbitrary" is to either implicitly endorse no cutoffs or to engage in what is essentially babble.

I think that what is happening is that women are finding their voice in something that they were previously too intimidated to voice before. Society didn't want to hear about these things and punished women who did speak up. And of course by society, I mean men didn't want to hear these things. Women are finally saying we are part of society and we don't have to put up with this anymore. They use to say that we shouldn't have to put up with this. I think that we can thank Trump for this.
This has been going on for many decades, it's just in the last couple of months, it now seems to be having a much swifter and greater effect on those accused.

"Now we know what the Republican age of consent is." - Chris Matthews
More trough leavings from purely objective Matthews.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it bother you in the least about how hypocrital Moore is? I mean he's made his entire career at judging the morality of others. And look at what he does when he thinks nonone is looking.

That's the Christian M.O. Pious people are the biggest hypocrites out there.
They got it from their master.

Oh, I find an adult consensually "diddling" 14 year olds objectionable. Just not to the same extent as if he had forced himself on her. Which is why I find the term "statutory rape" ridiculous.

And most 14 year olds are postpubescent, vast majority of 11 year olds are not. That's a major difference, don't you think?
No. I don't. Because neither of them have the mental/emotional maturity to consent, regardless the stage of their physical development.

Where age of consent is 18, do you really think sexual contact with a 17 year old is tantamount to rape or is even "pedophilia". What if say California legislature decided that 24 year olds are not mature enough and raised age of consent to 25?
Yes.

No. I don't. Because neither of them have the mental/emotional maturity to consent, regardless the stage of their physical development.

Where age of consent is 18, do you really think sexual contact with a 17 year old is tantamount to rape or is even "pedophilia". What if say California legislature decided that 24 year olds are not mature enough and raised age of consent to 25?
Yes.

Isn't Derec one of those denigrating Muslims because some Muslim majority countries allows the marriage of what we consider underage girls?

More trough leavings from purely objective Matthews.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it bother you in the least about how hypocrital Moore is? I mean he's made his entire career at judging the morality of others. And look at what he does when he thinks nonone is looking.

That's the Christian M.O. Pious people are the biggest hypocrites out there.
They got it from their master.

To be fair, in Moore's case it's the result of that Fundy Evangelical culture. Outside that Fundy Evangelical Hypocritical culture where parents aren't encouraged to wed their 14 year old daughters to men twice their age it runs into problems. Moore's a major perv for sure, it's just that most of his friends were taught to fuck 14 year olds too. His choice of role models was rather limited owing to the cult he grew up in.

Roy Moore, everybody:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wf-mRo7C2I[/YOUTUBE]

As a woman, I find Derec's comments very disturbing. While I am an older woman, I remember very well what it meant to be a 14 year old girl. Just because a 14 year old is experiencing physical and hormonal changes, doesn't mean she is an adult. She is not mature emotionally or intellectually. If I was confronted by a 32 year old man, who held a powerful position in my community ( assistant DA ) I can only imagine how threatened and scared I would feel if I was just 14.. When I was 14, I was very innocent and naive, certainly not capable of knowing what to do if confronted with the situation that this woman had to deal with when she was just a child of 14. Just because a girl looks like a woman, doesn't mean she is a woman.

And it doesn't matter what they do or did in other cultures past and present. Historically women were treated as chattel, with little say in regards to who they could marry or have a relationship with. We're not talking about other cultures or the past. We're talking about something recent historically, something that decent people would not find acceptable.

Nobody is trying to send Moore to prison for this violation of the law since it was 38 years ago. His actions just say a lot about his character. He wasn't an immature teenager when he sexually intimidated the girl. He was a grown man who held a powerful position in his community. This is just one more piece of evidence that he doesn't have the character to serve in as a Senator.

It's one thing to talk about the actions of two immature teenagers, but this was a grown man who knew better, forcing himself on a young, inexperienced girl, who most of us would consider to be a child. Perhaps we should ask the parents of 14 year old girls how they would feel if their daughters were victims of this man's predatory behavior.

Amen, SH.

As an Alabamian who has followed Moore and his ilk for years, I don't find this behavior particularly surprising. His hyper moralizing always seemed fake to me. In Law School he was known as fruit salad because he was "all mixed up." Many other lawyers complained about him as a trial court judge. He shamelessly used the Ten Commandments to promote himself. And make a ton of money.

But even more than that, this kind of behavior makes sense from an evangelical perspective. Humans want to fuck. But fucking without being married is wrong. The solution? Marry young. Then you won't be tempted to sin. Many evangelists advocate child marriage. This is a good article showing the typical problem: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...moore-evangelical-culture-20171110-story.html.

As a teenager, I attended a lecture on courtship by a home-school speaker who was popular at the time. He praised the idea of “early courtship” so the girl could be molded into the best possible helpmeet for her future husband. The girl’s father was expected to direct her education after the courtship began so she could help her future husband in his work.

In retrospect, I understand what the speaker was really describing: Adult men selecting and grooming girls who were too young to have life experience. Another word for that is “predation.”

Much of the sexual abuse that takes place in Independent Fundamentalist Baptist, or IFB, churches involves adult men targeting 14- to 16-year-old girls. If caught, the teenage victim may be forced to repent the “sin” of having seduced an adult man. Former IFB megachurch pastor Jack Schaap argued that he should be released from prison after being convicted of molesting a 16-year-old girl, asserting that the “aggressiveness” of his victim “inhibited [his] impulse control.” In the wake of the Schaap case, numerous other stories emerged of sexual abuse cover-ups involving teenage girls at IFB churches. In another high-profile case, pregnant 15-year-old Tina Anderson, who was raped by a church deacon twice her age, was forced to confess her “sin” to the congregation.

SLD

Has Moore come out and flatly stated that he has never had any kind of sexual move towards any minors? From what I have seen, he is more calling the reporters liars and evil and such...not even saying that he has never done that though. Some commentators were mentioning how, if those women are correct, that it appears he was practiced in his methods. He was rehearsed in his routine, he has done it before them and probably after them. So there probably will be more that make claims against him.

Brian

Isn't Derec one of those denigrating Muslims because some Muslim majority countries allows the marriage of what we consider underage girls?

I guess Obama did turn the US into an Islamic nation if this sort of thing is allowed.

I guess Obama did turn the US into an Islamic nation if this sort of thing is allowed.

Excellent point. With all the focus on what Moore did, it's important to take a minute to remember that this is really all Obama's fault.

Here's a video and transcript from a recent Sean Hannity interview: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...in_late_teens_accusations_never_happened.html

"Let me ask you this you do remember these girls would it be unusual for you as a 32 year old guy to have dated a woman as young as 17? That would be a 15 year difference or a girl 18. Do you remember dating girls that young at that time?" Hannity asked.

"Not generally, no," Moore answered. "If did, you know, I'm not going to dispute anything but I don't remember anything like that."
Not exactly passing with flying colors.

So it seems like it was a consensual relationship, and the only thing wrong was that she was a year and a half or so younger than the arbitrary legal threshold. Looking at the  age of consent map, it looks like the young prosecutor and even younger Miss Leigh would have been fine in much of Latin America and even Europe. And as far as the other two girls, they were legal, so no problem there.

It is also predicated on the woman telling the entire truth. I am not saying she is lying, but we do not know one way of the other. She could also be mostly telling the truth, but embellishing key points, such as her level of aggressiveness.

This #metoo nonsense is putting Democrats in danger of becoming more puritan than Republicans. Everything is "harassment" or "assault" these days.

Surprising that Derec would defend the hateful, racist sex offender.

Roy Moore Cast The Sole Vote In Favor Of A Man Who Raped A Four-Year-Old

The Alabama Supreme Court had the opportunity to hear the case of one Eric Lemont Higdon, a man accused and convicted of two sodomy charges due to sexual assault against a four-year-old at Mama’s Place Christian Academy in Clay, Alabama.

One of those convictions was first-degree sodomy of a child less than 12 years old. The other conviction was first-degree sodomy by forcible compulsion. Essentially, the first conviction was for statutory rape; the second for forcible rape.

Higdon’s conviction on the forcible rape charge was eventually overturned on appeal. The state, by way of prosecutor Luther Strange, appealed that decision and the Alabama Supreme Court took the case up for review.

Eight of the nine justices on the panel found that the appeals court had erred. Their legal logic was such that a 17-year-old’s sexual assault of a four-year-old was enough to produce in the mind of the four-year-old, an “implied threat of serious physical injury.” The decision was reversed and remanded and Higdon’s conviction was reinstated.

Roy Moore dissented from that opinion.

https://lawnewz.com/high-profile/ro...-in-favor-of-a-man-who-raped-a-four-year-old/

Well, the latest polls show this race to be competitive.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/11/doug_jones_takes_lead_on_roy_m.html

Might we expect basic standards of common sense and human decency from the people of Alabama? It would be an unexpected development, but the potential seems to be there.

It shouldn't be "competitive". It shouldn't have been "competitive" before these reports came out. Just like there shouldn't be 30+% of people who still support Trump. It's like turning over a rock and finding the pile of maggots.

Here's a video and transcript from a recent Sean Hannity interview: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...in_late_teens_accusations_never_happened.html

"Let me ask you this you do remember these girls would it be unusual for you as a 32 year old guy to have dated a woman as young as 17? That would be a 15 year difference or a girl 18. Do you remember dating girls that young at that time?" Hannity asked.

"Not generally, no," Moore answered. "If did, you know, I'm not going to dispute anything but I don't remember anything like that."
Not exactly passing with flying colors.

Sounds like a failure with flying colors instead. I mean, if he can't remember anything at all of what he did to these 3 girls, then his memory is shot. That would make him unqualified for office.

Back
Top Bottom