• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merkel says Germany and Europe must find their own path.

Will Wiley

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
naturalist
Merkel warns US, Britain no longer reliable partners

Europe "must take its fate into its own hands" faced with a western alliance divided by Brexit and Donald Trump's presidency, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Sunday.

"The times in which we could completely depend on others are on the way out. I've experienced that in the last few days," Merkel told a crowd at an election rally in Munich, southern Germany.

"We Europeans truly have to take our fate into our own hands," she added.

If Trump was working for Russian interests, one has to observe the outcome would be similar. Personally, I think it's his complete and utter ineptness, combined with the right's change in priorities that have gotten us here. Oh what world, what a world.

Europe "must take its fate into its own hands" faced with a western alliance divided by Brexit and Donald Trump's presidency, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Sunday.

"The times in which we could completely depend on others are on the way out. I've experienced that in the last few days," Merkel told a crowd at an election rally in Munich, southern Germany.

Merkel's just being a bit of a Drama Queen. BREXIT will take in my view at least 5 or so years to negotiate. Europe exports a lot to the UK so still needs the UK in some form or other.

I think Trump's Russia obsession is similar with GW's obsession with Saddam.

GW thought fixing Pappy Bush's incomplete victory would make his name. A naive simplistic idea.

Trump may well have a similar (naive) belief about uniting with Putin to defeat ISIS. Many of his ideas are so simplistic as to be idiotic, why not this one.

GW thought fixing Pappy Bush's incomplete victory would make his name. A naive simplistic idea.

Trump may well have a similar (naive) belief about uniting with Putin to defeat ISIS. Many of his ideas are so simplistic as to be idiotic, why not this one.

Uniting with Russia will put a dent in ISIS in the battlefield. Russian intervention already has.

Good times for those advocating Russian expansion!

It is difficult to fault Merkel for coming to this conclusion.

The summation of Brexit and Trump's altrightism is that the US is abandoning its leadership role in the world and that the UK is abandoning its leadership role in Europe.

Is anyone surprised that the right in both countries has basically decided to abandon the 21st century in a desire to return the respective countries back to what they believe were better times? This is the result when you listen to conservatives, when you let them run governments. They are ill-equipped for leadership.

When Trump says "America first" and how he is going to dominate all negotiations and turn all treaties into treaties that favor the US what do people think Europe hears?

Hint: They are a lot smarter and less corrupt than Trump.

The summation of Brexit and Trump's altrightism is that the US is abandoning its leadership role in the world and that the UK is abandoning its leadership role in Europe.

Is anyone surprised that the right in both countries has basically decided to abandon the 21st century in a desire to return the respective countries back to what they believe were better times? This is the result when you listen to conservatives, when you let them run governments. They are ill-equipped for leadership.
Not only is not difficult to fault Merkel from coming to this conclusion, one wonders why it took her (or any European leader) this long to reach such a conclusion.

Uniting with Russia will put a dent in ISIS in the battlefield. Russian intervention already has.

Exactly! I expect the same kind of success as seen in Afghanistan.

One of the defense blogs I follow said US commanders in Syria have zero interest in collaborating with the Russians. A fundamental rule we've learned at high cost is that a heavy hand creates more enemies than it destroys.

One of the defense blogs I follow said US commanders in Syria have zero interest in collaborating with the Russians. A fundamental rule we've learned at high cost is that a heavy hand creates more enemies than it destroys.

I am well aware.

I confess that I have a very difficult time wrapping my head around the right's embrace of Putin and Russia.

I am well aware.

I confess that I have a very difficult time wrapping my head around the right's embrace of Putin and Russia.

They're envious of the corporatocracy. The New Fascism.

Merkel does not hide very well what she thinks of FFvC.

The advantage is that there are less inaccessible mountains. However this is a good point. ISIS is also an ideology which is the harder part of the war.

This as most realise is the result of Western regime change policies which have changed regimes but for the worse.

Putin will be happy to hear that.

Brexit probably wouldn't have happened if the average Briton on the street felt like the UK had a leadership role in Europe. The EU appears to be led by Germany and France; the British public appear to have gotten tired of what they perceived to be their loyal opposition role in Europe. Were they wrong?

Russia doesn't care about Isis, they care about Assad. They bomb whoever Assad doesn't like, regardless of whether they are Isis or not.

Back
Top Bottom