• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merkel says Germany and Europe must find their own path.

Yes, it's more general than that, it's connected to democrats. They like everything dems don't and dislike everything they like. If Clinton/Obama tried to be OK about Putin,...
Obama tried to be okay with Putin like W did. It didn't work in either case.
No he (and Bush) did not try to be OK with Putin. But that was not really my point.
Trump and his supporters would have been trashing him.
Trump supporters like anything Trump likes. Trump likes whatever gives him cash flow.
You really think that Russia paid Trump?

Obama tried to be okay with Putin like W did. It didn't work in either case.
No he did not try to be OK with Putin. But that was not really my point.
I suppose you can't be right about everything.
Trump supporters like anything Trump likes. Trump likes whatever gives him cash flow.
Russia as in the nation? No. Russians as in people in power and the mob, much more likely. Donald Trump Jr stated that lots of money came from Russia.

Donald Trump Jr said:
And in terms of high-end product influx into the US, Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets; say in Dubai, and certainly with our project in SoHo and anywhere in New York. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia. There's indeed a lot of money coming for new-builds and resale reflecting a trend in the Russian economy and, of course, the weak dollar versus the ruble.
When American banks won't lend to... you need to find money from somewhere. And it should be noted American banks were giving money to anyone between '03 and '08, yet they wouldn't lend to Trump. Russian lending of money to Trump certainly wasn't for altruistic purposes.

No he did not try to be OK with Putin. But that was not really my point.
I suppose you can't be right about everything.
I remember that speech, Obama was OK with .... Medvedev (president of Russia at the time) I guess you can't be right .... yet again. And he had not been OK with Medvedev for long. Shortly after reset button fiasco everything went sour for no apparent reason, I think speech was just a speech and nothing more.
Russia as in the nation? No.
Russia as Russian government.
Russians as in people in power and the mob, much more likely. Donald Trump Jr stated that lots of money came from Russia.
Trump is a tremendous bullshitter, that's his business strategy, you can't trust anything he says, you should know that by now. Remember when he once bragged about screwing up Kaddafi?
Donald Trump Jr said:
And in terms of high-end product influx into the US, Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets; say in Dubai, and certainly with our project in SoHo and anywhere in New York. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia. There's indeed a lot of money coming for new-builds and resale reflecting a trend in the Russian economy and, of course, the weak dollar versus the ruble.
When American banks won't lend to... you need to find money from somewhere. And it should be noted American banks were giving money to anyone between '03 and '08, yet they wouldn't lend to Trump. Russian lending of money to Trump certainly wasn't for altruistic purposes.

Well, without tax returns we can't know that with any kind of confidence.
And last time I checked money laundering was a serious crime in US.

Last edited:
What could go wrong with finally ending entangling alliances, especially one against a country that doesn't even exist anymore?

What could go wrong with not being the world policeman?

What could go wrong with countries that support their safety nets because they use our military having to use their own military?

In terms of what is good for the USA, absolutely nothing!

Years ago I heard a story, and I cannot verify its authenticity so don't ask, about some third world country experiencing a civil war. And both sides kept fighting because both sides expected that any day the USA would intervene on their side. And the USA didn't intervene at all. Finally both sides stopped fighting each other, got mad at the USA for ignoring them, and threatened to sue the USA for not intervening. I suppose you think they had a case.

It's one thing to negotiate a rational transfer of responsibility and get out of NATO.

It's another to piss off world leaders to the point they do not want to deal with the US on anything.

Russia doesn't care about Isis, they care about Assad. They bomb whoever Assad doesn't like, regardless of whether they are Isis or not.

Wrong, so wrong.
It is the USA that doesn't care about ISIS or Islamic extremism. The USA sits comfortably over the sea, watching the Kardashians on TV. Islamic extremism is not really a reality for Americans, though there has been the odd incident.

Russia OTOH has Islamic extremism on their borders and in their neighborhood. It is crucial for them to not let it get out of control. The USA is happy to foster it to create chaos in lands far away

What could go wrong with finally ending entangling alliances, especially one against a country that doesn't even exist anymore?

What could go wrong with not being the world policeman?

What could go wrong with countries that support their safety nets because they use our military having to use their own military?

In terms of what is good for the USA, absolutely nothing!

Years ago I heard a story, and I cannot verify its authenticity so don't ask, about some third world country experiencing a civil war. And both sides kept fighting because both sides expected that any day the USA would intervene on their side. And the USA didn't intervene at all. Finally both sides stopped fighting each other, got mad at the USA for ignoring them, and threatened to sue the USA for not intervening. I suppose you think they had a case.

It's one thing to negotiate a rational transfer of responsibility and get out of NATO.

It's another to piss off world leaders to the point they do not want to deal with the US on anything.

So ... in theory you are so much an anarchist that you insist that an-caps cannot be anarchists. In practice you favor multinational treaty organizations.

Russia doesn't care about Isis, they care about Assad. They bomb whoever Assad doesn't like, regardless of whether they are Isis or not.

Wrong, so wrong.
It is the USA that doesn't care about ISIS or Islamic extremism. The USA sits comfortably over the sea, watching the Kardashians on TV. Islamic extremism is not really a reality for Americans, though there has been the odd incident.

Russia OTOH has Islamic extremism on their borders and in their neighborhood. It is crucial for them to not let it get out of control. The USA is happy to foster it to create chaos in lands far away

Sure, that's why Russia bombs non-Isis opposition. Russians Strike Targets in Syria, but Not ISIS Areas - The New York Times

And funny how the people who don't like being called Putinista are somehow usually only seen defending Putin.

Wrong, so wrong.

Sure, that's why Russia bombs non-Isis opposition. Russians Strike Targets in Syria, but Not ISIS Areas - The New York Times
The non ISIS opposition are terrorists too. They are insurgents armed by a foriegn power/powers fighting against a democratically elected leader.
You seem be under some delusion that if America or her allies arms insurgents then they can't be terrorists.

And funny how the people who don't like being called Putinista are somehow usually only seen defending Putin.
Pointing out that Russia does not want Islamic terrorists on its borders is hardly defending Putin.

Your problem Blastula is that you live in America and meekly provide your tax dollars to kill innocent people in far lands and support terrorists in faraway lands.
You might see it on your TV but the reality never gets to touch you. You never have a bomb go off in your own neighborhood or see kids dying. You get to watch your TV shows where it is all sanitised for you, so you never really understand it.

It is a lot more of an issue for countries on the Asian continent such as Russia

So ... in theory you are so much an anarchist that you insist that an-caps cannot be anarchists. In practice you favor multinational treaty organizations.

This is a dodge.

Again, there are productive actions and unproductive actions.

Pissing off world leaders to the point they do not want to deal with the US is not productive in any way.

It is something an idiot that doesn't have a clue would do.

"We Europeans truly have to take our fate into our own hands," she added.

Well, she could start by finally stopping mass migration and deporting most mass migrants. Otherwise there might not be an Europe to speak of in a few decades.

Wrong, so wrong.

Non-ISIS opposition means al-Qaeda. And the reason why it appears that ISIS is bombed less is becasue al-Qaeda associated terrorists are/were immediately engaged with Syrian government forces. Having said that, Russia does some ISIS bombing. So NY times is full of shit here.
Funny how US supported al-Qaeda.

Well, she could start by finally stopping mass migration and deporting most mass migrants.
Realistically, how could anyone stop mass migration to Europe?
Otherwise there might not be an Europe to speak of in a few decades.
Utter nonsense.
Yeah seriously. Europe survived two World Wars, pretty much everything except an A-Bomb. It also survived Soviet occupation in the eastern half.

The non ISIS opposition are terrorists too. They are insurgents armed by a foriegn power/powers fighting against a democratically elected leader.
You seem be under some delusion that if America or her allies arms insurgents then they can't be terrorists.

Pointing out that Russia does not want Islamic terrorists on its borders is hardly defending Putin.

Syria isn't on its border and the opposition are not all terrorists nor Islamists. Assad is single biggest terrorist there, so why don't they drop a bomb on him? And it's hypocritical of you to complain about US bombing in Yemen and defend Russian bombing in Syria.

Your problem Blastula is that you live in America and meekly provide your tax dollars to kill innocent people in far lands and support terrorists in faraway lands.
You might see it on your TV but the reality never gets to touch you. You never have a bomb go off in your own neighborhood or see kids dying. You get to watch your TV shows where it is all sanitised for you, so you never really understand it.

It is a lot more of an issue for countries on the Asian continent such as Russia

I could just as easily say the same of you, that is, say something that I have no idea if it applies or not.

Putinistas act as if Russia is on a humanitarian mission in Syria, that they are pristine heroes in the story, and their bombs only ever kill the most evil of evildoers, and the explosions only every release cookies and ice cream for all the good boys and girls of Syria.

East Aleppo’s last hospital destroyed by airstrikes | World news | The Guardian

Non-ISIS opposition means al-Qaeda. And the reason why it appears that ISIS is bombed less is becasue al-Qaeda associated terrorists are/were immediately engaged with Syrian government forces. Having said that, Russia does some ISIS bombing. So NY times is full of shit here.

Kurdish Al-Qaeda? That's a fantastic discovery - I thought the two groups were completely antithetical. Surely this will be one of those exceedingly rare cases where you'll actually provide some evidence to buttress your claims that all non-ISIS opposition to Assad is Al-Qaeda, right?

Kurdish Al-Qaeda? That's a fantastic discovery - I thought the two groups were completely antithetical. Surely this will be one of those exceedingly rare cases where you'll actually provide some evidence to buttress your claims that all non-ISIS opposition to Assad is Al-Qaeda, right?
Al-Nusra, US had been supporting them for while calling them opposition.

Insanity.

Europe is a land mass.

BS. Europe is more than a landmass. It is also a social and cultural entity. And with mass migration, that is in danger of being lost, just like cultures in the past have gone under due to mass migration.
Note that there are many more people in Africa and Asia than in Europe (and most mass migrants want to go to the relatively few very affluent countries of Western Europe because that means more benefits for them) and many of them want to go to Europe. Also, their birth rates are huge. On average, a Muslim woman has 5 children!

Back
Top Bottom