• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Michelle Obama is a sexist

I'm still trying to figure out just when it was that "The President's wife" became a political figure.

Is it when the US State Department has her be an official representative for the country at an international event? That would be my first guess if I had zero knowledge of her political activities before this speech.

Michelle Obama is clealy a political figure. The fact that the only reason she got the job as a political figure is because she managed to hook up with a guy who went on to become President doesn't mean that she doesn't have a public political role to play.

I'm still trying to figure out just when it was that "The President's wife" became a political figure. I know Hillary likes to think so, but I still don't buy it.

I'd put the date at 1801 when Dolly Madison first began to fill the role of First Lady for the widower Thomas Jefferson. She became the official First Lady in 1809 when her husband James was sworn in. Her political and social skills were formidable, and every First Lady since has followed in her footsteps.

So Michelle and women can claim that as a gender women are overall smarter than men, while the men who are in charge of the political power, the women's jobs, their households, the law, the courts can smile indulgently and pat them on the head.

And men who are none of those things can too I suppose.

Are we back to the "Not ALL men" meme?

Sorry, men have been in charge of society for thousands of years. Women are well aware of this.

- - - Updated - - -

The oppression is still ongoing. Even if we assume equality in pay and rights women are even still the physically weaker sex and prone to our violence. On the balance of power, men are still ahead, so the jokes flow toward us.

This dynamic is just how people work. Socially, we prop up those who are weak, and pull down those who are powerful. If you don't like it, good luck changing it.

Men are many times over more likely to be murdered than women.

By other men.

What does such a fact tell women?

The oppression is still ongoing. Even if we assume equality in pay and rights women are even still the physically weaker sex and prone to our violence. On the balance of power, men are still ahead, so the jokes flow toward us.
Using domestic violence as your sole metric will obviously lead to invalid conclusions like this.

Look at all metrics for social outcomes before you pass judgment on who is being oppressed.
This dynamic is just how people work. Socially, we prop up those who are weak, and pull down those who are powerful. If you don't like it, good luck changing it.
Society is ignorant. We often make heroes and villains of those who have done nothing to deserve it.

And men who are none of those things can too I suppose.

Not all men are or have been what Athena associated with men.

Not all black men are violent. Not all Asians are good at math. Not all women are submissive. When people make broad sweeping statements about entire groups of people, and seek to excuse bad behavior against said groups based on that, it isnt wrong to speak up.

Sorry, men have been in charge of society for thousands of years. Women are well aware of this.

So what? That doesn't excuse or justify Athena for saying that women are smarter or in any way superior to men. It doesnt make it moral, polite, rational, or correct. It just shows an immaturity on her part.

And note how I said Athena, and not all women.

Not all men are or have been what Athena associated with men.

Not all black men are violent. Not all Asians are good at math. Not all women are submissive. When people make broad sweeping statements about entire groups of people, and seek to excuse bad behavior against said groups based on that, it isnt wrong to speak up.

So what? That doesn't excuse or justify Athena for saying that women are smarter or in any way superior to men. It doesnt make it moral, polite, rational, or correct. It just shows an immaturity on her part.

And note how I said Athena, and not all women.

and what exactly did Athena say and where did she say it?

and what exactly did Athena say and where did she say it?

Oh Wow. That's what I get for posting from my phone and not re-reading the past pages of posts. I apologize to Athena! It was something I would have expected from her based on past posts and my own impression thereof, but it wasn't her that said this! It was credoconsolans him/herself.

credoconsolans said:
So Michelle and women can claim that as a gender women are overall smarter than men, while the men who are in charge of the political power, the women's jobs, their households, the law, the courts can smile indulgently and pat them on the head.

Pretty sure Credo isn't claiming it either, rather that men in positions of power don't take the claim, or the women making the claim, seriously. No-one has asserted the truth value of the claim that women are smarter than men.

Back
Top Bottom