• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Minimum Wage Study - MW Does Not Kill Jobs

There are no bad jobs, just poorly paid jobs. One person’s bad job is another’s plain old job. It’s what they have done for years on end. They don’t wake up each and every morning thinking about the nasty shit they have to clean or unclog or asshole customers they have to deal with. It’s just their job. There are however bad bosses who can make any job miserable.
When I worked at Yosemite with the guys that pumped fresh water up out of the ground and kept the poopy water flowing down the mountain, there was one main collection point for all the restrooms and all the lift stations in the park. A particularly foul smelling building where the waste flowed two levels down in an open trench after being turned into a slurry by the muffin monsters. Well this slurry is all something about 98.6 degrees and it creates condensation on everything all the way up. A nasty deal the first time visiting when they opened the door up and had a good laugh at my reaction. They were used to it. The job paid fairly well, had proper healthcare and retirement. It was just their job.

A minimum wage does not reduce the supply of labor. It may affect how much labor employs demand but it does affect the supply of labor -as anyone who passed Econ 101 knows.
It does reduce the supply by taking the less productive workers out of the labor pool.

Loren Pechtel said:
In removing the bad jobs you idled most of the people who were working at them. Don't say to find another job--there isn't one. If there had been they wouldn't have been working in a bad job in the first place!
Perhaps in your La La land of make believe but not in the real world, People sometimes need a push. Contrary to your unfounded religious beliefs, workers are not constantly looking to upgrade jobs. Losing a job sometimes prompts people to move to find another job.
Which does absolutely nothing when the jobs aren't there. Same thing we saw with the housing collapse--lots and lots of people looking for work, far fewer jobs being offered. My memory was there were times when the numbers were 10x off.

Loren Pechtel said:
Weaseling does not get away from this fundamental problem with your position.
Making insulting and idiotic whines about weaselling and avoiding the blatant economic fallacies and ignorance does not change the reality that your argument has no basis in fact or theory.
You're still doing it.

In removing the bad jobs you idled most of the people who were working at them.

WTF does "removing bad jobs" mean? If someone has a bad job... I dunno ... maybe cleaning your clogged sewer drain, are you just going to let it back up into your house because they "lost their job"?, No, (I assume) you'd look for someone else to do the job - which they wouldn't have otherwise had. That's why there's another job. If the good or service becomes harder to get, the price goes up. The entire expensive turnover debacle is largely avoidable simply by paying a decent wage, charging the 'gone up' price up front, and in the process creating a whole new class of consumers above the current bottom end of the income scale, reducing crime and creating a less fearful environment.
It ain't rocket surgery.
Unless you're disproportionately wealthy and are trying to rationalize that fact, in which case rocket surgery is not nearly complicated enough to make predictions about something as chaotic and yet fragile, as the economy. So screw the burger flipper. If he ever scraped together the money for a car, he'd probably drive to the polls and vote Democrat, anyway.
I was using "bad" to describe low wage.

You're still not addressing the fundamental issue: good jobs drive out bad jobs. Thus the existence of bad jobs proves there aren't enough good jobs. Minimum wage can eliminate bad jobs, it can't make good jobs.

A minimum wage does not reduce the supply of labor. It may affect how much labor employs demand but it does affect the supply of labor -as anyone who passed Econ 101 knows.
It does reduce the supply by taking the less productive workers out of the labor pool.
You keep flunking Econ 101. The less productive workers are still willing and able to work. They are part of the labor force as anyone within passed ECON 101 knows.

Loren Pechtel said:
Which does absolutely nothing when the jobs aren't there. Same thing we saw with the housing collapse--lots and lots of people looking for work, far fewer jobs being offered. My memory was there were times when the numbers were 10x off.
Are you under the illusion all those idled workers either died, emigrated or retired, instead of finding other jobs either in their area or moving to new jobs?

Are you under the illusion all those idled workers either died, emigrated or retired, instead of finding other jobs either in their area or moving to new jobs?
It does seem that anyone losing a job becomes an instant corpse in Loren’s mind. Except more of a drain on the economy than a corpse, because they keep on consuming without ever producing anything. I only ever “lost” one job, and my response was to change fields for a few years, then go after the Company that eliminated my position, and beat them in the free market, while developing and bringing new lifesaving products and procedures to that market. How does THAT reconcile with Loren’s infantile view of economics?

WTF does "removing bad jobs" mean? If someone has a bad job... I dunno ... maybe cleaning your clogged sewer drain, are you just going to let it back up into your house because they "lost their job"?, No, (I assume) you'd look for someone else to do the job - which they wouldn't have otherwise had. That's why there's another job. If the good or service becomes harder to get, the price goes up. The entire expensive turnover debacle is largely avoidable simply by paying a decent wage, charging the 'gone up' price up front, and in the process creating a whole new class of consumers above the current bottom end of the income scale, reducing crime and creating a less fearful environment.
It ain't rocket surgery.
Unless you're disproportionately wealthy and are trying to rationalize that fact, in which case rocket surgery is not nearly complicated enough to make predictions about something as chaotic and yet fragile, as the economy. So screw the burger flipper. If he ever scraped together the money for a car, he'd probably drive to the polls and vote Democrat, anyway.

You're still not addressing the fundamental issue: good jobs drive out bad jobs. Thus the existence of bad jobs proves there aren't enough good jobs. Minimum wage can eliminate bad jobs, it can't make good jobs.
LP, you come up with lots of fantasies about 'good' jobs and 'bad' jobs, but the studies consistently seem to show you're wrong. Can you link to studies that back up your points, or are you just going to keep fantasizing about how things work in your world?

Alternatively (or better yet, in addition) you should be able to clearly say what aspects of those studies are flawed that make them come to the clearly wrong conclusion backed up by all that data.

You keep flunking Econ 101. The less productive workers are still willing and able to work. They are part of the labor force as anyone within passed ECON 101 knows.
But if you've eliminated the low end of the labor force nobody will hire them.

Loren Pechtel said:
That's what happens when you raise the bar to entry. Those that don't make it to the bar don't get in. The labor force in this case.

It ain't rocket surgery.

LP, you come up with lots of fantasies about 'good' jobs and 'bad' jobs, but the studies consistently seem to show you're wrong. Can you link to studies that back up your points, or are you just going to keep fantasizing about how things work in your world?

Alternatively (or better yet, in addition) you should be able to clearly say what aspects of those studies are flawed that make them come to the clearly wrong conclusion backed up by all that data.
I have already identified the problem with minimum wage studies: They are drawing a conclusion from the fact that in an ordinary labor market it takes a truly huge effect on employment to get above the noise floor. And that's assuming the effect is immediate--if it's drawn out it simply can't be detected. An absence of a detectable signal is not evidence of the absence of the signal!

But if you've eliminated the low end of the labor force nobody will hire them.
The “low end” is not eliminated - they are alive and trainable. Labor markets are fluid. These “ low end “ workers have historically remained in the labor force and obtained jobs.

Loren Pechtel said:
That's what happens when you raise the bar to entry. Those that don't make it to the bar don't get in. The labor force in this case.
You keep misusing the term labor force: anyone who works or is actively seeking employment. Idled workers who look for work are in the labor force.

Loren Pechtel said:
I have already identified the problem with minimum wage studies: They are drawing a conclusion from the fact that in an ordinary labor market it takes a truly huge effect on employment to get above the noise floor. And that's assuming the effect is immediate--if it's drawn out it simply can't be detected. An absence of a detectable signal is not evidence of the absence of the signal!
So....your argument against raising the minimum wage is that it has so little effect that it won't be noticed?

Loren Pechtel said:
So....your argument against raising the minimum wage is that it has so little effect that it won't be noticed?
Negligible effects must be avoided at all cost!

I see many leftish or very leftish posters in this thread, and poor Mr. Pechtel single-handedly holding down the rightish position, (I don't accuse Loren of being a right-winger, but he is taking the anti-Left stance on this issue.)

It's hard for me to get involved since I am a centrist. A radical, vociferous, and easily-irked centrist to be sure, but a centrist. I seek a Middle Path. This means I often don't have an answer to Yes/No questions. o_O
But I can try to provide an objective "centrist" view on some of the questions that have come up.
  • As for top American executives earning much more than their counterparts in other countries, I think this was once true. But, for better or worse, I think the developed world is largely following the U.S.A. in many ways, just 5 or 10 years behind.
  • A big difference relevant here is Welfare. Many European countries have free or heavily subsidized childcare. In the U.S. some mothers are required to work to receive welfare, but spend most of their wages on babysitter.
  • Medical care is free in most developed countries. In the U.S. it's an opportunity for employers to coerce their workers, who may lose insurance if they're severed. How much help was Obamacare? I don't know, but employer-provided health insurance just does not make sense and obviously reduces the wage employers can afford to pay.
  • Land prices have naturally risen as the population-to-acreage ratio rises. The values of intellectual property (and capital machinery, e.g. robots) have skyrocketed. Skilled and very-skilled labor is now valued much more highly than unskilled labor. For these reasons the "share of the pie" which goes to unskilled and semi-skilled labor has naturally shrunk. Universal benefits are needed, rather than minimum wage hikes. (Wang's approach is wrong. I've outlined my sounder approach but to no applause, so I'll give up! :) )
  • The need for minimum wage in the USA is partly due to America's high income inequality.  List of countries by share of income of the richest one percent is a page that turned up while looking for a Wiki page giving trade stats per GDP. (Nope, those Wiki pages have been removed or corrupted.) Netherlands has 6.2% of income going to the richest one percent; Japan 10.4%; Germany and UK 12.5%; and USA a whopping 22.5%.
  • The labor union movement in the U.S. a century ago was heroic -- a true highlight of the American Dream. It led to better working conditions, restrictions on child labor, a 40-hour work week, and so on. With those accomplishments in the past and already successful, the love that present-day progressives have for unionization is partly a matter of nostalgia.
  • Some employers certainly deserve condemnation. I read that very abusive labor of 14 -year-olds (and younger!) is coming back in to vogue. But legislation -- or rather wresting political control away from greedy billionaires -- is the way to counter child abuse, not unions.

One topic is whether wage hikes will push jobs away from the U.S., increasing our trade imbalance. I won't take a stand on that issue, but want to address what looked like a misconception.

A good way to think of inter-country transactions is to note that transactions net to zero. (NO, NO -- I'm not speaking of whether "trade is a zero-sum game." -- It's more about the zeroing which is automatic in double-entry accounting.) When I buy a $100 widget from a foreign country, my $100 banknote goes out while the widget comes in. Later the foreigner will use that $100 of American money to buy American land, American stock, or American bonds. (Or trade it to an English bank for pounds, who settle a dollar-debt in France, who .... finally buy the American assets.) If the U.S. imports $1 trillion more than it exports, foreigners have an extra $1 trillion in dollars that will re-enter the country to buy stocks, bonds, whatever.

Balance of Trade and Balance of Payments show somewhat different things -- and all should be expressed as a percent of GDP. A decade ago I'd be careful to choose the best indicator. Now, however, it's hard to find even one useful table! This may be in part due to the rise of paywalls, and partly due to just the general rise of stupidity.
So I use https://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?queryid=67094 to show Balance of Payments per GDP, Q1-2023
USA -3.2%​
UK -2.3%​
Japan +1.9%​
China +2.8%​
Germany +5.4%​
Don't put faith in these exact numbers, but the general trend can be trusted. The two biggest Anglophonic countries have HUGE "payment" deficits (and HUGE trade deficits, but I got tired of Googling for a proper table), but this is NOT a general symptom of the developed West since Germany has a HUGE surplus.

ANYWAY the misconception I wanted to address was what looked like a claim that a big trade deficit just mimics the early USA. NO.

It is true that the US had a trade deficit during its first century, then a trade surplus for another century, and has recently plummeted into a huge trade deficit. But the natures of the present trade deficit and the deficits in the early 19th century are VERY different.

During the 19th century, the USA industrialized very rapidly. This required rapid growth in capital, i.e. the importation of machinery and related material. But that capital was put to work and made the USA prosperous. Dollars (i.e. silver and gold) flowed out to pay for that capital machinery. (I'll guess many of those supplying the machinery took their dollars back to the US and became citizens of that promising country.)

But the present trade deficit is NOT being used to convert an agrarian society to an industrialized one. It is simply a matter of "living beyond one's means" with the dollar's strength being exploited by borrowers. That this is NOT a natural symptom of the present-day developed West is shown by the huge SURPLUS that Germany is running. Larry Summers and Paul Krugman are both on record as describing this deficit as a very serious problem, perhaps more serious than the government funding deficit.

Basically all methods of driving up wages are ways of reducing the labor pool. Someone has to lose.

Research has shown that the demand for labor is often much less elastic than one might guess.

Why? That seems like the sort of highly confusing use of language that you'd want to avoid, if you were expecting people (including yourself) to be able to think through your arguments effectively.

Sorry bilby. It's easy to choose a second-best word when one is exasperated and firing off rebuttals to tired arguments.
Wasting a round of rejoinders to call attention to a word that was only 2nd-best is just a distraction. NOT helpful.

If it's worth responding at all, is it worth the courtesy of pruning the nested quotes?

Loren Pechtel said:
And that it would have to at least double and do so immediately in order for it to have any detectable effect on employment. That in raising it gradually and in a geographically spotty fashion those few lost jobs go unnoticed.
But it is still very much noticed by the individual losing their job and I think the argument is they have absolutely no recourse when this happens.
I don’t know. We have a shoe cobbler. I suppose even if our shoe cobbler went out of business she could transfer her skills to a tack shop.

Loren Pechtel said:
It will not be noticed in the unemployment numbers. That doesn't mean it won't be noticed by the people whose jobs disappear or who can't find one in the first place. (Look at the unemployment rate for inner city youth for an example of the problem.) The thing is we have no measurement of unemployment-rate-of-minimum-wage-workers. The social justice researchers are using unemployment-rate as a stand-in but that whacks off two digits worth of precision in the answer--and we don't have two digits worth of precision in the first place. Thus the answer is random.

Let's apply their reasoning to a different situation: global warming. It's obvious that burning fossil fuel is not an issue because the CO2 percentage in the atmosphere remains unchanged at 0% since long before fossil fuel was discovered. (And, yes, by standard scientific convention my statement is true. Very misleading, though.)

I see many leftish or very leftish posters in this thread, and poor Mr. Pechtel single-handedly holding down the rightish position, (I don't accuse Loren of being a right-winger, but he is taking the anti-Left stance on this issue.)
I do take a rather right-wing approach on many economic issues. Not to be confused with the modern QOP which occasionally pulls off a stopped clock but otherwise gets basically everything wrong. I generally take a left-wing approach on social issues with the big provision that in general I do not believe a right can grant things, only protect you from restrictions. I also favor approaches based on making improper behavior more expensive than proper behavior rather than trying to decree exactly what degree of being improper is tolerable. (Thus, I would yeet almost all pollution rules and replace them with taxes on the pollutants. And I include CO2 in pollutants.)

• A big difference relevant here is Welfare. Many European countries have free or heavily subsidized childcare. In the U.S. some mothers are required to work to receive welfare, but spend most of their wages on babysitter.
Yeah, most of the people on welfare are there because either they can't work or the have home burdens (caretaker) that make work uneconomic. And the ones that fall into neither of these categories are often people who could do knowledge work--if they are allowed enough time to get the relevant education.

• Medical care is free in most developed countries. In the U.S. it's an opportunity for employers to coerce their workers, who may lose insurance if they're severed. How much help was Obamacare? I don't know, but employer-provided health insurance just does not make sense and obviously reduces the wage employers can afford to pay.
Obamacare was a big help for those of us who aren't poor but don't have employer-paid healthcare. Our employer-paid system is the result of perverse incentives: We froze wages in WWII so employers competed for workers with benefits instead. Hence our royally-screwed system that Obamacare has done a bit to unravel.

• Land prices have naturally risen as the population-to-acreage ratio rises. The values of intellectual property (and capital machinery, e.g. robots) have skyrocketed. Skilled and very-skilled labor is now valued much more highly than unskilled labor. For these reasons the "share of the pie" which goes to unskilled and semi-skilled labor has naturally shrunk. Universal benefits are needed, rather than minimum wage hikes. (Wang's approach is wrong. I've outlined my sounder approach but to no applause, so I'll give up! :) )
I don't believe we are to the point where universal benefits are needed, but I think we are heading towards it. High-skill work takes a lot of training (which is not only expensive in $ but also in time--you gain no income from it until that training is done. At the high end of the scale you would need to pay 25% more just to get parity and that's not counting the time value of money.)

• The need for minimum wage in the USA is partly due to America's high income inequality.  List of countries by share of income of the richest one percent is a page that turned up while looking for a Wiki page giving trade stats per GDP. (Nope, those Wiki pages have been removed or corrupted.) Netherlands has 6.2% of income going to the richest one percent; Japan 10.4%; Germany and UK 12.5%; and USA a whopping 22.5%.
We have about 1% of our workforce at minimum wage. (Beware of stats which say at-or-below-minimum-wage, that's tipped employees which often make well above minimum wage after counting tips.) Most of these are not primary breadwinners. Other countries with higher minimum wages often have a lower bracket for those just starting out, it's not really as different as it looks.

• The labor union movement in the U.S. a century ago was heroic -- a true highlight of the American Dream. It led to better working conditions, restrictions on child labor, a 40-hour work week, and so on. With those accomplishments in the past and already successful, the love that present-day progressives have for unionization is partly a matter of nostalgia.
I think most of what it accomplished would have come about anyway via the ballot box. The unions just sped up the inevitable. On the flip side, to get their power unions have to make workers pretty much immobile--and that's an increasing burden these days when people tend to move around more.

• Some employers certainly deserve condemnation. I read that very abusive labor of 14 -year-olds (and younger!) is coming back in to vogue. But legislation -- or rather wresting political control away from greedy billionaires -- is the way to conter child abuse, not unions.
While I agree with the problem I'm not at all sure your solution works. Small businesses tend to be more abusive, it's just they have small victim pools and thus aren't newsworthy. Thus see the start of this post--this is a situation where I believe incentives work better than thou-shalt-not regulations. Thus:
1) Part time employees get a pro-rated share of the benefits a similar full time worker would get. If that isn't possible to do then they get a cash amount equal to what the company saved by not providing the benefit.
2) A pattern of ongoing wage theft is subject to a rebuttable presumption that it existed for their entire employment. A pattern of ongoing wage theft across a group of employees is subject to a rebuttable presumption that it existed for all members of the group and likewise for their entire employment. And intent gets say 3x damages.
3) A business which exercises a high degree of control over a subcontractor is subject to labor laws and liability as if they were the employer.

One topic is whether wage hikes will push jobs away from the U.S., increasing our trade imbalance. I won't take a stand on that issue, but want to address what looked like a misconception.

A good way to think of inter-country transactions is to note that transactions net to zero. (NO, NO -- I'm not speaking of whether "trade is a zero-sum game." -- It's more about the zeroing which is automatic in double-entry accounting.) When I buy a $100 widget from a foreign country, my $100 banknote goes out while the widget comes in. Later the foreigner will use that $100 of American money to buy American land, American stock, or American bonds. (Or trade it to an English bank for pounds, who settle a dollar-debt in France, who .... finally buy the American assets.) If the U.S. imports $1 trillion more than it exports, foreigners have an extra $1 trillion in dollars that will re-enter the country to buy stocks, bonds, whatever.

Balance of Trade and Balance of Payments show somewhat different things -- and all should be expressed as a percent of GDP. A decade ago I'd be careful to choose the best indicator. Now, however, it's hard to find even one useful table! This may be in part due to the rise of paywalls, and partly due to just the general rise of stupidity.
So I use https://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?queryid=67094 to show Balance of Payments per GDP, Q1-2023
USA -3.2%​
UK -2.3%​
Japan +1.9%​
China +2.8%​
Germany +5.4%​
Don't put faith in these exact numbers, but the general trend can be trusted. The two biggest Anglophonic countries have HUGE "payment" deficits (and HUGE trade deficits, but I got tired of Googling for a proper table), but this is NOT a general symptom of the developed West since Germany has a HUGE surplus.
And that huge surplus is hurting the German economy--it makes their exports expensive. A country fares best with a number close to 0%.
Basically all methods of driving up wages are ways of reducing the labor pool. Someone has to lose.

Research has shown that the demand for labor is often much less elastic than one might guess.
In the short run it's inelastic. In the long run it's elastic as the companies pushed too far go under.

Why? That seems like the sort of highly confusing use of language that you'd want to avoid, if you were expecting people (including yourself) to be able to think through your arguments effectively.

Sorry bilby. It's easy to choose a second-best word when one is exasperated and firing off rebuttals to tired arguments.
Wasting a round of rejoinders to call attention to a word that was only 2nd-best is just a distraction. NOT helpful.
I was using the word that has been used by some on here to refer to such jobs, I'm not the originator of it's use.

If it's worth responding at all, is it worth the courtesy of pruning the nested quotes?
I really wish this software made it easier to trim such quotes without messing up.

In the short run it's inelastic. In the long run it's elastic as the companies pushed too far go under.
Replaced by different companies that need labor. Demand is always more elastic over longer periods of time but that does not necessarily meant it it is elastic.

It will not be noticed in the unemployment numbers. That doesn't mean it won't be noticed by the people whose jobs disappear or who can't find one in the first place. (Look at the unemployment rate for inner city youth for an example of the problem.) The thing is we have no measurement of unemployment-rate-of-minimum-wage-workers. The social justice researchers are using unemployment-rate as a stand-in but that whacks off two digits worth of precision in the answer--and we don't have two digits worth of precision in the first place. Thus the answer is random.
I'm still getting "we have no way of measuring the effect so we better not do it, but these guys think they know!" .

You know what else isn't being measured?
* 'Disappearing" jobs due to wage increase vs other economic terrain change.

Personally I am not a believer in "disappearing jobs".
I am a believer in the obsolescence of some jobs and the novelty of others - but that's a continuous process, endemic to a functional economy.
When 22% of created wealth goes to the 1% already wealthiest, the inevitable result is an ever widening wealth and income disparity that is unsustainable, because eventually it will become socially destabilizing. Increasing minimum wage could reduce that gap.
Meaningful work needs to be done, and will be done, no matter what the minimum wage is. This last round of inflation proved that.
Your notion that an ultra low or no minimum wage would entice more people to work, is obviously flawed.

Back
Top Bottom