• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

missouri passes state law forcing cities to lower their minimum wage

higher labor costs

Ah, we have a visit from Captain Obvious. Genius.

Also, if the government sets a minimum price for banana above the market price the result is... more expensive bananas.

Now, this then leads to what?
Unlike your side I am able to recognize that bananas and people are not the same and that maybe people shouldn't be treated like bananas.

Welp, I answered your question about what costs are associated with higher minimum wages. Can you think of any benefits of a higher minimum wage?

Or is the stereotype of the all negative anti-MWers accurate?

higher labor costs

Also, if the government sets a minimum price for banana above the market price the result is... more expensive bananas.

I mean when you ask an obvious and stupid question, what can you expect other than an obvious response?

Unlike your side I am able to recognize that bananas and people are not the same and that maybe people shouldn't be treated like bananas.

Welp, I answered your question about what costs are associated with higher minimum wages. Can you think of any benefits of a higher minimum wage?

That feels more like avoiding the question than an answer. I know you're capable of irrelevant illogical responses and personal attacks. I was hoping for relevant answers.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean when you ask an obvious and stupid question, what can you expect other than an obvious response?

What's stupid about the question?

The implication that there it might be possible that harm could come from raising the minimum wage?

Your own source states that the minimum wage in Switzerland isn't written into law.
You didn't specify the mw had to be statutory.

Besides, mw doesn't have to be written into law to nevertheless exist.

But I'd trade our system for switzerland's. Would you?

True, I did not so specify. I thought it was implied. How much of a minimum wage is it if it is not enforced by law?

The Swiss system does have a lot to recommend it.

That feels more like avoiding the question than an answer. I know you're capable of irrelevant illogical responses and personal attacks. I was hoping for relevant answers.

- - - Updated - - -

The implication that there it might be possible that harm could come from raising the minimum wage?

Because the answer is obvious, (Rising labor costs) so obvious in fact that your question is unwarranted because it should be readily apparent in the first place.

You didn't specify the mw had to be statutory.

Besides, mw doesn't have to be written into law to nevertheless exist.

But I'd trade our system for switzerland's. Would you?

True, I did not so specify. I thought it was implied. How much of a minimum wage is it if it is not enforced by law?

Swiss collective bargaining agreements have the weight of law.

http://www.ilo.org/ifpdial/informat...r-law-profiles/WCMS_158921/lang--en/index.htm

The Swiss system does have a lot to recommend it.

I think it does too.

Jason's libertarian head would explode if he had to live in Switzerland.

So you're saying "yes, the anti-mw stereotype is true".

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Because the answer is obvious, (Rising labor costs) so obvious in fact that your question is unwarranted because it should be readily apparent in the first place.

Why is "rising labor costs" a harm?

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW you didn't ask about harm. You asked about costs.

Maybe you should figure out what you actually want to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe you're that stupid. We have been discussing harm caused by the minimum wage for a few pages now.

Are you saying it causes no harm?

Because supposedly no one says that.

Swiss collective bargaining agreements have the weight of law.

http://www.ilo.org/ifpdial/informat...r-law-profiles/WCMS_158921/lang--en/index.htm

Yes, but the key point is this particular minimum wage is the result of the employees and employers agreeing to it, not the result of political fiat. Recently there was an attempt to get it made into political fiat and it was overwhelmingly rejected.

Jason's libertarian head would explode if he had to live in Switzerland.

Thinks like having a peaceful foreign policy, something I've constantly advocated for, would be so weird. And a basically decentralized system with power devolved from the central government to the cantons, that would be so difficult to understand. Oh, and how everyone in the country is a gun owner. Yep, so weird, so different, from anything I would ever ask for.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe you're that stupid. We have been discussing harm caused by the minimum wage for a few pages now.

Are you saying it causes no harm?

Because supposedly no one says that.
ksen asked why are rising labor costs are a harm. ksen did not claim that rising labor costs cause no harm. I don't believe you are that stupid to think asking why ____ (fill in the blank( is a harm means that one believes that ____ causes no harm.

Back
Top Bottom