• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mixed-race student brings lawsuit against charter school for mandatory CRT content.

blacks come from an environment where being long and thin is an advantage.

Citation?

You're contesting this?! The tropics--high surface area to volume is a good thing because you want to lose heat.

I'm not [MENTION=1498]ruby sparks[/MENTION];
But yeah, I'm contesting the premise that the NBA is dominated by black dudes due to phenotype. I believe it has more to do with the media. Sports stars are presented as role models.

Black tech wizards and entrepreneurs not so much. How many young black men followed George Jefferson into the dry cleaning business?
Tom

You're contesting this?! The tropics--high surface area to volume is a good thing because you want to lose heat.

I'm not [MENTION=1498]ruby sparks[/MENTION];
But yeah, I'm contesting the premise that the NBA is dominated by black dudes due to phenotype. I believe it has more to do with the media. Sports stars are presented as role models.

Black tech wizards and entrepreneurs not so much. How many young black men followed George Jefferson into the dry cleaning business?
Tom

Don't know why the fear of human biodiversity. Phenotype is a pretty Occam's Razor explanation for black over-representation in the NBA (though if we use CRT the inequality is due to systemic racism). And where are the great white American players? Most of the good white players now are from Southern and Eastern Europe; which is - surprise - home to some of the tallest people in the world.

The theory is, apparently, that not only can only taller people play basketball, the taller you are the better you are, even to the incremental degrees of difference that separate, say, Georgians from Northern Kenyans?

Biological race is pseudoscience, by the way, but it is always a relief when, engaged in a supposedly serious discussion about academic theory and civil rights, yoiu interlocutor tips their hand and admits they've been trying to sneak that pseudosicence in all along.

Biological race is pseudoscience

Then evolution and natural selection are pseudoscience. Or, alternatively, humans are divinely special and impervious to selective pressures. Maybe the creation scientists are onto something.

The world's greatest genetic barriers.

EX6LW0AXQAE42vu

Read a paper once that men in SE Europe had longer wingspan than those in Northern Europe. Would explain the dominance of non-American whites in the NBA.

The world's greatest genetic barriers...
..look nothing like supposed "race" groups, in fact, as your diagram correctly demonstrates. Your claim that "black" people consitute a single homogenous genetic population with presumably common physical attributes is quite absurd when weighed against that portrait. Race is a pre-scientific, mythology-soaked attempt to explain human phenotypical diversity. This was nothing embarassing, when a 17th century man was expositing those ideas. They were doing the best they could with their observation, their intellect, and their Bible. But you, a 21st century man, should be humiliated to have refused to move on while the sciences advanced and explained the supposed mystery of inheirtance in a far more satisfactory fashion.

To be fair, I do take the wider general point that racial inequalities are not necessarily due to racism (of any sort). Of course, peddling genetics and evolution instead is also untenable, imo. So I don't see it as an either or.

I'd be fine with dealing with a claim that racism is (a) commonplace, and (b) built into the system, and then exploring to what degree those claims are still true today, which I would guess is a lot less than it used to be, even in my lifetime.

The theory is, apparently, that not only can only taller people play basketball, the taller you are the better you are, even to the incremental degrees of difference that separate, say, Georgians from Northern Kenyans?

Biological race is pseudoscience, by the way, but it is always a relief when, engaged in a supposedly serious discussion about academic theory and civil rights, yoiu interlocutor tips their hand and admits they've been trying to sneak that pseudosicence in all along.

The funniest part is that they don't even check their "theories" against reality. White American men are actually *taller* on average than their black counterparts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr.../2018/10/06/americas-tallest-shortest-states/

The funniest part is that they don't even check their "theories" against reality. White American men are actually *taller* on average than their black counterparts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr.../2018/10/06/americas-tallest-shortest-states/

Interesting! Not all that surprising actually, given the connection between childhood nutrition and adult height.

Notice how tall the NBA players are??

It's not that being taller makes you a more skilled player, but that being taller is itself an advantage. Your ability on the court is a function of both your skill and your height. I see no reason to think there racial differences in skill, but there are racial differences in height.

Note that it's even more extreme with East Asians--they are on average about 4 inches shorter than whites, this makes a far greater difference than the black/white differences. They are at about endangered species level in the NBA. (.2% in the data I'm finding.)

Interesting! Not all that surprising actually, given the connection between childhood nutrition and adult height.

Exactly. The genetic coding puts the blacks slightly ahead, but nutrition dominates in the overall statistics. Other than on the basketball court the black/white height difference is effectively irrelevant, it's only at the extreme tail that it matters.

Notice how tall the NBA players are??

It's not that being taller makes you a more skilled player, but that being taller is itself an advantage. Your ability on the court is a function of both your skill and your height. I see no reason to think there racial differences in skill, but there are racial differences in height.

Note that it's even more extreme with East Asians--they are on average about 4 inches shorter than whites, this makes a far greater difference than the black/white differences. They are at about endangered species level in the NBA. (.2% in the data I'm finding.)

Loren. Has it ever crossed your mind....I mean, has it ever occurred to you.....that you talk complete and utter shite on this general topic, nearly all the time?

Fuck knows what you're even on about here. It's a far cry from your other approach when it suits you, trying to discredit a large body of evidence because 'Loren personally doesn't think it's up to scratch'. And now you're just pulling stuff straight out of Loren's arse? How on earth do you ever expect to be taken at all seriously with that blatant double standard?

For that specific reason alone, you are literally an internet joke, Loren.

Last edited:
..look nothing like supposed "race" groups, in fact, as your diagram correctly demonstrates. Your claim that "black" people consitute a single homogenous genetic population.

I don’t claimed that at all. Race is much more than skin color. East Africans are clearly distinct from West Africans. And the Igbo are distinct from others in West Africa. Race is simply who your ancestors were. And genetic barriers show the improbability that an East Asian shares ancestry with a Ugandan.

Loren....you talk complete and utter shite, nearly all the time

You are literally an internet joke, Loren.

So grateful to the mods here - volunteers who devote part of their forum time to helping to keep this place running smoothly and within the rules

Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports And Why We're Afraid To Talk About It

In virtually every sport in which they are given opportunity to compete, people of African descent dominate. East Africans own every distance running record. Professional sports in the Americas are dominated by men and women of West African descent. Why have blacks come to dominate sports? Are they somehow physically better? And why are we so uncomfortable when we discuss this? Drawing on the latest scientific research, journalist Jon Entine makes an irrefutable case for black athletic superiority. We learn how scientists have used numerous, bogus "scientific" methods to prove that blacks were either more or less superior physically, and how racist scientists have often equated physical prowess with intellectual deficiency. Entine recalls the long, hard road to integration, both on the field and in society. And he shows why it isn't just being black that matters—it makes a huge difference as to where in Africa your ancestors are from.Equal parts sports, science and examination of why this topic is so sensitive, Taboois a book that will spark national debate.

Usain Bolt. Fastest man in the world. West African ancestry. Never ran a mile.
You do realise that it's not your focus on genetics that is the problem, Right? I mean, obviously you do have a point, yeah? It's your general 'there's not also a problem with racism' dogmatic myopia that's the problem.

And you have the gall to accuse others of being 'religious'. You need to look in the mirror.

Exactly. The genetic coding puts the blacks slightly ahead, but nutrition dominates in the overall statistics. Other than on the basketball court the black/white height difference is effectively irrelevant, it's only at the extreme tail that it matters.

You have not provided any evidence or reason to believe that "the genetic coding puts the blacks slightly ahead" - your argument from surface area to volumes works the other way as it would predict blacks to be shorter rather than taller. The most parsimonious explanation for black over representation in the NBA remains a sociological one: for each 1000 youths with innate talent, the number whose talent matures into pro level skill is much higher among blacks due to a combination of eg the sport being more popular among black youths and NBA talent scouts focusing their search on blacks.

This may not be the only kind of factor - I'm not claiming it is. However, nothing you or anyone else in this thread has said or shown suggests it isn't. The mere fact that blacks are over represented in the NBA (and east Asians underrepresented) is not an argument against a sociological explanation.

Biological race is pseudoscience
Then evolution and natural selection are pseudoscience. Or, alternatively, humans are divinely special and impervious to selective pressures. Maybe the creation scientists are onto something.

..look nothing like supposed "race" groups, in fact, as your diagram correctly demonstrates. Your claim that "black" people consitute a single homogenous genetic population.

I don’t claimed that at all. Race is much more than skin color. East Africans are clearly distinct from West Africans...
Whether biological races exist is irrelevant to the topic of the thread -- this is about public schools trying to teach children to divide themselves up racially into oppressed and oppressor categories. This is Political Discussions. If you guys want to argue about whether races are real, you should take it to Natural Science. It has standards of evidence.

Why would that be a requirement for the analogy to work? We can't measure truck mass with an albedometer, but we can measure racial privilege and give a number to it, as we do with mass.
You think you can numerically measure racial privilege? By all means, explain how you do that.
:eating_popcorn:

And, assuming for the sake of discussion that we can do that, then furthermore, continuing with your analogy, you feel that pointing out that the traffic participant who was killed was killed by a massive cargo truck, and some accused white guys' massive cargo trucks are also massive cargo trucks, qualifies as an intellectually honest justification for labeling the accident victim "their" victim?
It doesn't. Again, why would that be a requirement?
A requirement for what goal? It isn't a requirement if your goal is obfuscation. It is a requirement if your goal is to refute my charge against the previous poster and/or to justify your charge against me. The previous poster labeled your accident victim "their" victim; and you accused me of twisting his words. If all your analogy does is present a case for "reducing the blind spots", then it's no doubt pertinent to whatever your social engineering plans are but it is not pertinent to the point in dispute between us. So when you said "It doesn't.", that was you conceding the argument. The previous poster was in the wrong and so are you.

Even the very same cargo truck driver who shoved the moped off the road may not be personally culpable in any meaningful sense - he may be if he was truly reckless and signalled the turn too late, or didn't look in the rear mirror properly, or we may want to blame the company for refusing to retrofit the truck with a blind spot monitor as they value a few hundred bucks more than a human life, or the legislator for not demanding such, or the moped rider for sneaking up to close, where he should have known he's in the truck's blind spot, or his instructor for not teaching him properly about trucks' blind spots. None of is the focus of the discussion - a solution oriented approach simply takes into account that the moped rider is now dead, and would likely be alive had the truck had a blind spot monitor installed.
That's nice, but if you you want to take that approach you have to be consistent about it. No fair making two different arguments, one of which is reasonable and the other of which is a trumped-up accusation, and then, when the accused reproaches you for the injustice, backing it up with further trumped-up insulting accusations, and then pretending you're the reasonable one on account of the reasonable argument you also made.

You call yourself a utilitarian, don't you? Well, time to live to live up to your words.
No, I don't. Where the heck did you get that from? I've criticized utilitarianism many times here.

Your objection is a bit like lamenting that we can't demand blind spot monitors because by doing so, we implicitly blame all accidents involving trucks on the truck drivers - and that unfairness is obviously a greater evil than dead moped riders, and therefore, the prudent thing to do about this problem is - nothing (or maybe, banning mopeds).
Dude. No, my objection is nothing whatsoever like that, and you don't have a reason to think it is. You're just playing lawyer and trying to put the accuser on trial for rhetorical purposes even though you have no case against me. "When the law is against you, pound on the facts. When the facts are against you, pound on the law. When the law and the facts are against you, pound on the table." You are pounding on the table. Stop doing that. Just stop. As you perfectly well know, my objection is not that demanding blind spot monitors implicitly blames drivers in general; my objection is to someone explicitly having blamed particular drivers who had been unjustly accused. So stop misrepresenting me. Stop trumping up new accusations to distract from the old ones.

In contrast, saying somebody is personally culpable is, in point of fact, accusing him of being personally culpable.

It is. However, noone has said that you or I are personally culpable, and your quote mine doesn't show otherwise.
Yeah, funny how that works. I didn't say you personally said the accused were personally culpable either, and yet here we are -- you chose to defend an accused person even though he wasn't you. That's what I did too. People come to the defense of strangers who've been attacked. Is that something you think we shouldn't do?

For the record, here's the complete sentence from which you pulled it. If you actually bother to read the whole sentence, you will find that...
Stop doing that. Stop making trumped-up accusations that you must on some level know are almost certainly false. Don't say things you should be ashamed of saying. Yes, I bothered to read the whole sentence. I do not believe for a second that you actually believe I didn't.

it talks about how the criticisms that attack CRT on the basis that it burdens innocent people with personal culpability are misguided precisely because it isn't about personal culpability in the first place. I know, it's a bit of an awkward run-on sentence, but if I, as a non-native speaker, can attribute a meaning to it, you too should be able to:
And yet it contains a throw-away line to the effect that the protesters really are personally culpable. It came off kind of like making a speech about how it's important that we should treat other people's religions with respect and the [anti-Muslim slur]s don't do that.

Accepting injury without protest is a completely inadequate way to challenge the common belief that such offenses are acceptable, earned, or "trivial". Again, this obsession with guilt and personal culpability is distracting from the actual problems, preventing true inequlaities from being addressed by derailing the conversation into a discussion about the aggrieved feelings of the accused, in which it is assumed but never stated that the feelings of the accused should be considered more important or more justified than those of their original victim. This was literally the central thesis of White Fragility, the book all the conservatives are so afraid of but haven't read.

Of course, if you prefer to ignore the context and work yourself up on a couple of decontextualized words instead, there's little I can do to stop you.
Decontextualized?!? I explicitly called out the contrast between the context and the inserted accusation.

In that case, I shall continue to call your behaviour disingenuous. Your choice, really.
I.e., you will continue to libel me. Stop it. It's unethical.

I suspect the underlying problem here may be that you and the previous poster don't actually understand why racism is wrong. Metaphor and I know why it's wrong; but the reason it's wrong does not appear to be the same reason you guys think it's wrong. But it's possible I've misjudged you. Feel free to explain why you object to racism.

Back
Top Bottom