• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

More BRICS - more countries join that political and economic bloc

Yes it did.
l87qsrX.png

Purchasing power parity (PPP) is the most common method for comparing GDP of countries since it adjusts for different price levels. Per capita PPP GDP is the accepted way of comparing economic well being between countries.

Derec and bilby have got it right.

Many, if not most, of the BRICS countries are basket cases economically and politically.
Founding members are not busket cases. South Africa has some troubles. But BRIC part of BRICS are progressing rather well. I am little worried about speed with which some busket cases get in, though.

To me this is all a demonstration of unhappiness of the 3rd world with the US/West.
What you are missing is conflicting interests. What's of value to the people isn't always what's of value to the leaders. The western approach is to try to help the people--but that is in conflict with the leader's desire to loot.

Many, if not most, of the BRICS countries are basket cases economically and politically.
Founding members are not busket cases. South Africa has some troubles. But BRIC part of BRICS are progressing rather well. I am little worried about speed with which some busket cases get in, though.

To me this is all a demonstration of unhappiness of the 3rd world with the US/West.
What you are missing is conflicting interests. What's of value to the people isn't always what's of value to the leaders. The western approach is to try to help the people--but that is in conflict with the leader's desire to loot.
Western approach is to help their own oligarchs, helping people (western ones at that) is purely accidental.

Checked, looks like Russia surpassed Germany in 2022 already.
Germany has to thank Nuland for that.

Last edited:
What exactly makes Dore "right wing"? He seems to be a so-called "progressive". He supported Bernie, he was part of the far-left "The Young Turks" show ...
Literally years ago and I made a point of that. He was part of TYT when he spat at Jones' face (he has since denied saying he did it when he is on shows like Tim Pool or Russel Brand). In the last 6 years he has promoted Covid conspiracy theories, Tucker Carlsonesque Jan6 misinformation and wall to wall Biden bashing. Jimmy Dore is about as left wing as Alan Dershowitz or Dave Rubin (another TYT in case you're wondering).

Dore is a shill for right wing audiences. That's who he caters to.

I've been hearing about them since mid-2000s, from various sources, including news media. New rising economies, end of dollar hegemony, blah blah. Things died down a few years later as their economies started facing difficulties. Now we are hearing more about them again.
Now that this thread has reached its second page, do you get now why I say BRICS is more often than not (but not solely) being used as a dog whistle for pro-Putin propaganda?

Tim Pool did some documentation of the Occupy movement of 2011, but he has since become a right-winger while claiming that he is still a left-winger.

Dave Rubin started out on TYT, and Sam Seder, Emma Vigeland, and their guests have sometimes discussed him on their podcast The Majority Report. He apparently didn't want to do much work, doing mainly lifestyle pieces, and he gradually drifted rightward, calling himself a "classical liberal" for a while. He is homosexual, and he is married to another man, and he and his husband have produced children with the help of surrogate mothers. When they did that, some of their audience was outraged, but DR blamed their outrage on "the left", as though left-wingers are somehow to blame for many right-wingers' narrow definitions of "family".

I already told you - PPP GDP.
Market rate GDP is better for comparing sizes of economies since they are using the same metric to compare them - usually the US dollar - and not an adjusted metric that is different in each country. PPP has its uses, but not for this.
I know why BRICS fans like PPP GDP - it inflates the sizes of the BRICS economies.
And according to that Russia surpassed Germany and became the largest economy in Europe (World Bank).
So you keep claiming, but have not provided any links to any evidence.

Last edited:
When they did that, some of their audience was outraged, but DR blamed their outrage on "the left", as though left-wingers are somehow to blame for many right-wingers' narrow definitions of "family".
I know that some leftists are opposed to surrogacy as they view it as "exploitation" of women. What does that have to do with BRICS?

Purchasing power parity (PPP) is the most common method for comparing GDP of countries since it adjusts for different price levels.
As such GDP (PPP) fails to measure the relative sizes of economies as it measures economies using different yardsticks. Market-price GDP uses the same yardstick.
While both MP and PPP per-capita GDP are useful (even if they measure different things) I fail to see where overall PPP GDP would be more useful than MP GDP.
Per capita PPP GDP is the accepted way of comparing economic well being between countries.
Per-capita GDP (PPP) gives you a measure of well-being inside a country, yes. Per-capita GDP (MP) gives you a measure of well-being when trying to buy something on the international market. Say a Russian and a German want to buy some groceries, of a meal at a restaurant or a hair-cut in their country. PPP is appropriate here. But say both want to go to a vacation in Greece? Market price matters here, not PPP.

Another difficulty of PPP is how do you measure it? Market price of a currency is relatively easy even if you have to use black market exchange rate. PPP is much more complicated and different organizations may configure their basket of goods and services differently leading to different PPP values. That's why Barbos may be technically correct (even if he refuses to provide a source for his claim) that using certain set of "yard sticks" Russia has higher GDP (PPP) than Germany (still much lower on a per-capita basis of course) but still trails Germany using the yard sticks used by the IMF.

GDP, current prices - Purchasing power parity; billions of international dollars
IMF said:
Germany 5.72 thousand
Russian Federation 5.23 thousand
exp-2024-01-15_23_35_17.png

Back
Top Bottom