• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Muslims care more about world cup than Isis

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
This was an interesting opinion piece that I only just found

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...slims-dont-care-about-the-Isis-Caliphate.html

Article said:
I am sorry to spoil the party, but the caliphate fantasy being peddled by Isis in Iraq and Syria is not of importance to most Muslims around the world. When I read western newspapers, I sense an urgency and significance that is out of sync with reality.

Isis may take pride in its ragtag army, commanding what it calls a caliphate, but no Muslim scholar worth his salt has supported this entity. Even Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi, a major Jihadi cleric, has rejected the group’s experiment. No Muslim government has recognised it.

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi (now calling himself “Caliph Ibrahim”) this week invited Muslims to migrate to his war zone, a call given prominent coverage by most Western news outlets, but the fact that most Muslims ignored his invitation went unnoticed. He called for doctors and engineers to build the caliphate, but not a single Muslim country has seen a mass exodus of people keen to live under his version of sharia.

This is the month of Ramadan when Muslims fast from dawn till dusk. While the Western media fervently pursues the story, at iftar – the breaking of the fast – from Morocco to Indonesia, Muslims are discussing other things. Take a glance at newspaper headlines in the Muslim world and you will see a different set of priorities. In Turkey, they are debating their forthcoming presidential elections, in Kenya parliamentary corruption and in Bangladesh the deportation from India of a renowned criminal.

Collectively, most Muslims around the world are paying more attention to the Fifa World Cup than they are to Isis. Newspaper coverage of the games in several Muslim countries is more prominent than the shambles of the so-called Caliphate.

Apparently Muslims around the world don't take Isis seriously, don't want to ally with them (that's good), and don't care that Islam is yet again being made to look as the ultimate evil, yet again? I suppose after the whole post 9/11 downfall of Islam's public image Muslims are used to their religion's image being dragged through the mud.

Well, it appears that their global and well-organized plot to lull the Western world into complacency has been successful with at least one of their future victims. :)

Well, it appears that their global and well-organized plot to lull the Western world into complacency has been successful with at least one of their future victims. :)

The problem has always been the Islamists, not the average Muslim. The average Muslim is only a problem in siding with the Islamists rather than non-Muslims when forced to choose.

Apparently Muslims around the world don't take Isis seriously, don't want to ally with them (that's good), and don't care that Islam is yet again being made to look as the ultimate evil, yet again? I suppose after the whole post 9/11 downfall of Islam's public image Muslims are used to their religion's image being dragged through the mud.
That sounds like a healthy outlook to me. I wouldn't expect the average christian to be outraged and speak up because some crazy religious nutjob is acting the fool in westboro either. I expect the reasonable and rational christians to basically look at phelps and say "he's a nutter" then go back to their football game and ignore him like the kook he was. I'm quite pleased that most muslims are doing the same thing here. I think that's a good sign.

That sounds like a healthy outlook to me. I wouldn't expect the average christian to be outraged and speak up because some crazy religious nutjob is acting the fool in westboro either. I expect the reasonable and rational christians to basically look at phelps and say "he's a nutter" then go back to their football game and ignore him like the kook he was. I'm quite pleased that most muslims are doing the same thing here. I think that's a good sign.

The question then becomes: if the nutter starts getting ultraviolent is it ok if others assume that you are ok with him if you don't actively and loudly speak out against him?

The question then becomes: if the nutter starts getting ultraviolent is it ok if others assume that you are ok with him if you don't actively and loudly speak out against him?

Do you feel obligated to speak out against every nutter on the planet?

Why should someone feel obligated to defend themselves by speaking out because someone else shares some characteristic in common with them and is a total loon? If someone else with brown hair loses their mind and goes on a shooting spree, I don't feel it necessary to jump up and speak against them because they're tarninshing the name of good brunettes the world over. Heck, even if some atheist out there has a complete psychotic break and goes on a blood-spattering rampage trying to rid the world of all true believers, I'm not going to feel the need to defend my lack-of-belief because he lost his shit.

Do you feel obligated to speak out against every nutter on the planet?

No, I do not.

Why should someone feel obligated to defend themselves by speaking out because someone else shares some characteristic in common with them and is a total loon? If someone else with brown hair loses their mind and goes on a shooting spree, I don't feel it necessary to jump up and speak against them because they're tarninshing the name of good brunettes the world over. Heck, even if some atheist out there has a complete psychotic break and goes on a blood-spattering rampage trying to rid the world of all true believers, I'm not going to feel the need to defend my lack-of-belief because he lost his shit.

I agree with you. It's just that I have heard the accusation made against Muslims that their not speaking out against it (even though a lot of them actually do) is proof that the Islam is a violent religion (even though it's a very small minority of them that are violent).

Back
Top Bottom