• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New blockade in Minneapolis

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Seems like suicide by cop.
Bring Me the News said:
The 30-year-old died after he was subject of a police chase between Edina and Richfield, which he live-streamed in his car.
Twelve minutes into the video, Quinones got out with what appears to be a knife in his left hand. Moments later shots are heard, with police firing about 12 times.
In a statement on Sunday, Edina and Richfield Police Department said Quinones "confronted officers with a knife" at 77th Street East and Chicago Avenue in Richfield.
And of course, the #BLM idiots shut down the Interstate, as they always do in Minneapolis because there are no consequences.
It looks like he was suicidal at the time.
His death sparked protests at the scene and a march on Sunday night, that briefly led to the shutting down of I-494 in Richfield.
He was suicidal, which is probably why he confronted police with a knife after leading them on a chase.
A married father of a 12-year-old boy, Quinones was a barber as well as a musician, his brother, Joshua Quinones, told KSTP.
His brother also told the TV station that Quinones had been having suicidal thoughts, and he had grown concerned having spoken to him just before the chase and shooting, and tried to reach out to him when he saw his Facebook stream.
Friends described him to the Star Tribune as a loving family man, though one noted he had struggled in the recent years with "finances, his living situation and relationships."

Here are #BLM idiots shutting down the Interstate, even though there is no evidence police did anything wrong here.
ED_9nImXkAIujR8

ED_9ErMX4AA8y6y

They should be all prosecuted for the shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you have any empathy at all for the guy ? It seems a bit much to shoot him 12 times when all he has is a knife.

Don't you have any empathy at all for the guy ? It seems a bit much to shoot him 12 times when all he has is a knife.

For the guy? Yes. His family should have gotten him help when they had the chance. They knew he had psychological problems.

For those blocking the interstate? Hell no?

For his family hiring a hearse-chasing lawyer before his body is even cold while having ignored signs of mental illness while their loved one was actually alive? Also not.

Last edited:

The number of shots fired is not related to the threat level. Once the threshold to shoot has been crossed (which coming at the cops with a knife certainly would be unless the range was long) the cops are going to shoot until he's not coming at them anymore. Given human reaction times two cops could easily fire 12 rounds even if the first hit stopped him.

I do agree that BLM is being their usual stupid selves here. Read the article and it's quite obviously a suicide by cop.

I am always amazed at the number of mental health experts on this forum who can produce an accurate diagnosis in these cases from news reports.

The police of Edina and Richfield have earned (either justly or unjustly) distrust from the communities of color in the area which may help explain the reaction.

I -494 in Richfield is a mess anyway, with a big chunk of that freeway closed to traffic over the weekend. So I doubt there was much disturbance to travellers on Sunday night.

But nice to see the classy title to this tragedy in the OP.

For the guy? Yes. His family should have gotten him help when they had the chance. They knew he had psychological problems.

For his family hiring a hearse-chasing lawyer before his body is even cold while having ignored signs of mental illness while their loved one was actually alive? Also not.

It is extremely difficult for a family to compel a family member to seek mental health help. Unfortunately.

It is extremely difficult for a family to compel a family member to seek mental health help. Unfortunately.

Never mind that a certain political affiliation is responsible for gutting mental health infrastructure in the US.. not that I expect he wants to talk about that.

Derec, are you trying to be Colin Flaherty?

That guy does not go off and use [slurs].

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh look...Derec's posting a story that makes a black man look bad. I'm shocked.

When police act like snowflakes because some guy has a knife, it's sad, rather disturbing as well as disgusting. I mean, a knife! Seriously? Those bid bad cops, who are supposed to wear protective vests and have guns, couldn't have tried to talk the guy down, or maybe even shoot him in the foot or lower leg, which would caused him to fall down and drop his knife? OMG! The cops are really fucking idiots.

Somebody needs to give them more training in how to deal with people who seem like they might be mentally disturbed or suicidal. The dead man probably appeared disturbed because nobody in his right mind confronts the police with a knife. I can only assume that the cops were pissed off because the disturbed man made them chase him, and. that in their opinion was a justification for killing him.

When police act like snowflakes because some guy has a knife, it's sad, rather disturbing as well as disgusting. I mean, a knife! Seriously? Those bid bad cops, who are supposed to wear protective vests and have guns, couldn't have tried to talk the guy down, or maybe even shoot him in the foot or lower leg, which would caused him to fall down and drop his knife? OMG! The cops are really fucking idiots.

Somebody needs to give them more training in how to deal with people who seem like they might be mentally disturbed or suicidal. The dead man probably appeared disturbed because nobody in his right mind confronts the police with a knife. I can only assume that the cops were pissed off because the disturbed man made them chase him, and. that in their opinion was a justification for killing him.

Ok, so, you should know by now that I don't approve of shooting guys who brandish a knife without even the intent to harm (or without even trying to talk them down), but it's an asinine trope to talk about "disarming" shots with anything but a less-lethal weapon. A taser gun would 100% be appropriate here (don't cops have those?!?)

But shooting anything but center mass is asking to get stabbed. No cop or soldier is ever advices to shoot for arms or legs or feet; that kind of accuracy is a MYTH. It's hard enough just hitting center mass.

They shot him, 100%, because they were lazy, poorly/badly trained, and reactionary. If they didn't, where is the body camera footage? They should have used less lethal options. They should have tried talking. But PLEASE just, right here, right now, learn that "shooting to disarm" is a stupid trope from movies that is FUCKING STUPID.

Sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about. What you see on your shows on TV is not how things work. Shooting at a leg would be irresponsible and dangerous for anyone around. you're the snowflake that needs a fainting couch because deadly force was used against deadly force. That the intention of the suspect was to commit suicide matters not one bit. One should argue that in such a case, the suspect intent on dying is more dangerous than the suspect intent on minimizing or avoiding significant jail time.

Sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about. What you see on your shows on TV is not how things work. Shooting at a leg would be irresponsible and dangerous for anyone around. you're the snowflake that needs a fainting couch because deadly force was used against deadly force. That the intention of the suspect was to commit suicide matters not one bit. One should argue that in such a case, the suspect intent on dying is more dangerous than the suspect intent on minimizing or avoiding significant jail time.
Only if the suspect is within a distance to injure someone. Otherwise no.

Yeah, I don't know why, after my post containing actual accurate information about both the trope and the reality of the situation, they saw fit to post that fit of text vomit but whatever.

I think cases like this there has to be a better way of handling it other than wasting the guy in a hail of bullets from trigger happy cops.

That is quite a distance. Man with knife versus man with a holstered gun... it's farther than you think.

Back
Top Bottom