• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New evidence that strong unions reduce exploit inequality

Agreed. I think the AMA is the biggest obstacle to Medicare for all. Doctors hate medicare pricing.

aa

Doctors hate medicare pricing because they want to remain in business.

Bullshit. Gerontologists rely almost exclusively on Medicare for reimbursement and their average income is $180K per year. This has been pointed out to you before but apparently it didn't cross over to your long term memory. You may have a problem.

Unions do Not:
Define how types of work is done
Define standards of behavior and comportment for their members
Provide for testing, certification, or continuing education of their members
That is untrue. My union defines standards of behavior for its members.

The AMA and other professional organizations are really modern version of guilds which are very similar to unions. I strongly suspect the resistance of these professional organizations that limit entry, lobby for regulations, etc.... to be called unions is class-based: doctors, lawyers, accountants, actuaries do not (or did not) views themselves as on the same level as manual laborers.

Yes. A 'Professional Association' is a trade union for people who consider manual work to be beneath them, and who are generally far to snobbish to accept that they share a large common ground with those manual labourers.

The details of what a union does for its membership vary from union to union. That variation doesn't make them 'not unions'. That the various mineworkers unions put a lot of effort into formulating mine safety rules, while the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers do not, doesn't render USDAW 'not a union'. That the actuaries have their union concern itself with professional standards and comportment doesn't make them 'not a union' either.

When workers are part of an organisation that is involved in their working life, but not directed by their employer, they are in a union. No matter what euphemism they might prefer to try to set themselves apart from the plebs.

Agreed. I think the AMA is the biggest obstacle to Medicare for all. Doctors hate medicare pricing.

aa

Doctors hate medicare pricing because they want to remain in business.

Then it's a good thing that they have a union like the AMA who will advocate and negotiate with the government to dissuade adoption of medicare prices for everyone - because any individual doctor arguing for themselves stands no chance. And if you believe that process to be materially different than what a typical employee union does you are a hypocrite and are missing the entire point.

aa

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom