• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New report on climate change released today

No.

Scientists attributed the ice gain to localized ocean cooling.

Between 2014 and 2016, waters up to 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) cooler entered Disko Bay, where Jakobshavn glacier enters the water.

Researchers believe that the cooling is related to a natural variation in the climate in the Northern Hemisphere known as the North Atlantic Oscillation, which can warm or cool the northern portions of the Atlantic Ocean in periods of several years (not too dissimilar from the impact that El Niño and La Niña can have on Pacific Ocean temperatures).

Your mention of this is one step away from "there's no global warming because we still have winters."

But the " experts " all said this isn't supposed to happen. By now, not only this glacier, but most if not all glaciers were supposed to have melted by the relentless GW/CC.

No.

Scientists attributed the ice gain to localized ocean cooling.

Between 2014 and 2016, waters up to 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) cooler entered Disko Bay, where Jakobshavn glacier enters the water.

Researchers believe that the cooling is related to a natural variation in the climate in the Northern Hemisphere known as the North Atlantic Oscillation, which can warm or cool the northern portions of the Atlantic Ocean in periods of several years (not too dissimilar from the impact that El Niño and La Niña can have on Pacific Ocean temperatures).

Your mention of this is one step away from "there's no global warming because we still have winters."

But the " experts " all said this isn't supposed to happen. By now, not only this glacier, but most if not all glaciers were supposed to have melted by the relentless GW/CC.

Citation?

I'm not interested in arguing to convince anyone, I'm just posting things that look like evidence to me. People will deny what they want to deny. There are still people that believe the earth is flat, despite all of the evidence. So, this post is for those who are interested in learning more about what's going on with the climate.

https://www.today.com/news/al-roker-travels-arctic-firsthand-look-climate-change-t151303

Because of its unique location, NOAA’s Barrow Observatory is only one of four worldwide sites taking critical greenhouse gas measurements.

“What’s happening with the greenhouse gases, as you may know, is that they're causing more heat to be absorbed in the atmosphere. The more greenhouse gases there are in the atmosphere, the more heat there is available for things like storms,” said Bryan Thomas, the observatory’s station chief, who helps a team monitor the ozone and make sure it’s not decreasing.

Maybe it's too late to reverse things. It would certainly take a tremendous effort by all of the largest nations, to make much progress.

Formerly known as Barrow, the community sits at the farthest north tip of the country. When Al arrived on Saturday, March 30, Utqiagvik hit a record high of 33, which was 36 degrees above average. To put it into perspective, that would be like New York City hitting 91, or Miami reaching 117 on the same spring day.

Oh well. Nothing unusual about that now, is there?

I'm not interested in arguing to convince anyone, I'm just posting things that look like evidence to me. People will deny what they want to deny. There are still people that believe the earth is flat, despite all of the evidence.

People who believe the earth is flat are cranks. This is not the same as people who question the "12 years to save the planet" hysteria.

Would have been easier to just quote the transcript which I already have.

· And now we’re beginning to see the impact in the
real world. This is Mount Kilimanjaro more than 30
years ago, and more recently. And a friend of mine
just came back from Kilimanjaro with a picture he
took a couple of months ago. Another friend of
mine Lonnie Thompson studies glaciers. Here’s
Lonnie with a sliver of a once mighty glacier. Within
the decade there will be no more snows of
Kilimanjaro.
· This is happening in Glacier National Park. I
climbed to the top of this in 1998 with one of my
daughters. Within 15 years this will be the park
formerly known as Glacier.
· Here is what has been happening year by year to
the Columbia Glacier. It just retreats more and more every year. And it is a
shame because these glaciers are so beautiful. People who go up to see
them, here is what they are seeing every day now.
· In the Himalayas there is a particular problem because more than 40% of all
the people in the world get their drinking water from rivers and spring systems
that are fed more than half by the melt water coming off the glaciers. Within
this next half century those 40% of the people on earth are going to face a
very serious shortage because of this melting.
· Italy, the Italian Alps same site today. An old postcard from the Switzerland:
throughout the Alps we are seeing the same story.
· It’s also true in South America. This is Peru 15 years ago and the same
glacier today.
· This is Argentina 20 years ago, the same glacier today.
· 75 years ago in Patagonia on the tip of South America, this vast expanse of
ice is now gone

So what is wrong about what he said about glaciers?

Would have been easier to just quote the transcript which I already have.

· And now we’re beginning to see the impact in the
real world. This is Mount Kilimanjaro more than 30
years ago, and more recently. And a friend of mine
just came back from Kilimanjaro with a picture he
took a couple of months ago. Another friend of
mine Lonnie Thompson studies glaciers. Here’s
Lonnie with a sliver of a once mighty glacier. Within
the decade there will be no more snows of
Kilimanjaro.
· This is happening in Glacier National Park. I
climbed to the top of this in 1998 with one of my
daughters. Within 15 years this will be the park
formerly known as Glacier.
· Here is what has been happening year by year to
the Columbia Glacier. It just retreats more and more every year. And it is a
shame because these glaciers are so beautiful. People who go up to see
them, here is what they are seeing every day now.
· In the Himalayas there is a particular problem because more than 40% of all
the people in the world get their drinking water from rivers and spring systems
that are fed more than half by the melt water coming off the glaciers. Within
this next half century those 40% of the people on earth are going to face a
very serious shortage because of this melting.
· Italy, the Italian Alps same site today. An old postcard from the Switzerland:
throughout the Alps we are seeing the same story.
· It’s also true in South America. This is Peru 15 years ago and the same
glacier today.
· This is Argentina 20 years ago, the same glacier today.
· 75 years ago in Patagonia on the tip of South America, this vast expanse of
ice is now gone

So what is wrong about what he said about glaciers?

Yeah. Lets consider Kilimanjaro. I was there in 1982, the snowpack started not far beyond the third hut, about 16,000' and not too far above the point where you can clearly identify the peak vs the terrain around it. In the early part of this century I saw video of it and I had to replay it a couple of times (the mountain was merely a sight in the video, not the subject of it) to find the mountain because it looked so different.

Doesn't that prove what some here have been saying all along? That the Earth is a dynamic, always changing planet with an ever changing climate. Hannibal is said to have crossed the Italian alps with elephants in a period much warmer than today, which would be impossible today even if GW/CC was fact.

Anyone who gives Al Gore any credibility at all is either at best very naive, at worst, just a follower of the cult of GW/CC. Oh, and then there is this little snippet that shows the dynamism of ever changing planet Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_salt

Really?

You cited a source saying a glacier had slight regrowth and said Al Gore said that should not happen.

I asked for a source for that.

You and I both provided quotes from AG, that BTW do not say what you claimed Gore said.

I asked you what was wrong with what Gore did say.

You responded with "Doesn't that prove what some here have been saying all along? That the Earth is a dynamic, always changing planet with an ever changing climate. Hannibal is said to have crossed the Italian alps with elephants in a period much warmer than today, which would be impossible today even if GW/CC was fact.

Anyone who gives Al Gore any credibility at all is either at best very naive, at worst, just a follower of the cult of GW/CC. Oh, and then there is this little snippet that shows the dynamism of ever changing planet Earth."

That is both a dodge and a goal post move.

You haven't looked at my link have you? Or you're been nit picking and expecting me to reply to each and every word that fraudster has said about glaciers or whatever!

I am still waiting for my beach front property on Hudson's Bay to make me millions, as the Americans come north from the great desert wasteland to vacation

Scott Adams tweeted: 97% of climate scientists agree that Gen IV nuclear power -- that is safe from meltdown, and eats nuclear waste from older reactors for energy -- is the only known way to combat climate change in time, and at the needed scale.

Since Gen IV is quite small it can not only generate electricity without emitting CO2 there can be many independent power grids solving a different problem.

Even 97% of Global Cooling advocates should love this technology.

You haven't looked at my link have you? Or you're been nit picking and expecting me to reply to each and every word that fraudster has said about glaciers or whatever!

You're the one that brought up Gore and glaciers. Sorry If people ask you to actually know what the fuck you are talking about. I'll try not to make that mistake again.

You're the one that brought up Gore and glaciers. Sorry If people ask you to actually know what the fuck you are talking about. I'll try not to make that mistake again.

One data point does not a pattern make. In 2018 the Greenland glaciers grew for the first time in years.

Is this the straw that broke the camel's back? Just another in a long pattern?:

Back
Top Bottom