• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New report on climate change released today

That fails in more ways than you can poke a stick at...............I'm not sure what the fuck you're talking about. I presume you know about iceball Earth and ice ages that lasted for hundreds of thousands of years if not millions. The Earth still tilted as it does and has done for billions of years!
*sigh*
angelo said:
Besides, you're admitting that the sun has an enormous influence on Earth's climate
Hence my response. IE, there are very influential non-Sun related aspects to what regulates our climate. Such as our tilt and the amounts of certain gases in our atmosphere.

Of course those gases are CO2 as the main culprit! Not the other 97% or the other gases that make up our atmosphere! :rolleyes:

*sigh*
Hence my response. IE, there are very influential non-Sun related aspects to what regulates our climate. Such as our tilt and the amounts of certain gases in our atmosphere.

Of course those gases are CO2 as the main culprit! Not the other 97% or the other gases that make up our atmosphere! :rolleyes:
A BAC of 0.4, meaning about 0.4% of your blood is now alcohol, is lethal. Want to talk about steel with interstitial carbon? Are you denying that minority elements can't have an effect on processes or materials?

The Earth is warming. The ice caps are melting. And these changes are occurring very quickly, at a geologic scale.

*sigh*

A BAC of 0.4, meaning about 0.4% of your blood is now alcohol, is lethal. Want to talk about steel with interstitial carbon? Are you denying that minority elements can't have an effect on processes or materials?

The Earth is warming. The ice caps are melting. And these changes are occurring very quickly, at a geologic scale.

Do you have Any solid scientific evidence that the ice caps are melting at an alarming rate now or in the last couple of decades and not in 10-20 years, which strangely enough keeps being kicked along like a can for future decades?

Members of the Rapture like cult "Extinction Rebellion" have been taking to the streets in London and Edinburgh to protest against the weather;

'I'm terrified': Extinction Rebellion activists on why they are protesting:

Nathan, 15, from Wanstead, east London: Nathan has been working with Extinction Rebellion as an organiser, which he said had been an incredible experience. “I was able to pick up so many skills … I’ve met some amazing people.” He said he would be surprised if he made it to the end of the week without getting arrested. “I’ve had a couple of warnings from the police already,” he said. “But I’ve had training so I know my rights, I know what to do, so it’s not like this terrifying thing.” Asked what his parents thought, Nathan said they were not particularly pleased. “They were like: ‘We are glad you’re fighting for a cause, but if you get a fine we are going to be mad.’” :hysterical:

Teh Gruaniad

What a pain in the arse these idiots are.

Trying to prevent extinction is like King Canute trying to hold back the waves. Shouldn't brainwashing children and the naive be a jailable offence?

Members of the Rapture like cult "Extinction Rebellion" have been taking to the streets in London and Edinburgh to protest against the weather;

'I'm terrified': Extinction Rebellion activists on why they are protesting:

Nathan, 15, from Wanstead, east London: Nathan has been working with Extinction Rebellion as an organiser, which he said had been an incredible experience. “I was able to pick up so many skills … I’ve met some amazing people.” He said he would be surprised if he made it to the end of the week without getting arrested. “I’ve had a couple of warnings from the police already,” he said. “But I’ve had training so I know my rights, I know what to do, so it’s not like this terrifying thing.” Asked what his parents thought, Nathan said they were not particularly pleased. “They were like: ‘We are glad you’re fighting for a cause, but if you get a fine we are going to be mad.’” :hysterical:

Teh Gruaniad

What a pain in the arse these idiots are.
Teens being dumb? Say it ain't so. It is kind of like denying global temperatures, astrophysicists, and bothersome trends.

Teens being dumb?

Not just teens, but the teens are getting whipped into a frenzy by grown ups that should know better.

Anyway, this is a hilarious (and I mean hilarious) interview with Robin Boardman-Pattison (guaranteed white privileged wanker, just by the name alone) with Sky newscaster Adam Boulton.

Adam's parting shot as dumb ass Boardman-Pattison flounces out of the interview after being thoroughly schooled;

Adam Boulton said:
"After a week Parliament has left, you come here and cause disruption in Westminster. You are not even getting your message across. You're like the incompetent middle-class, self-indulgent people and you want to tell us how to live our lives. That's what you are, aren't you?'"

:hysterical:

A link to the Extinction Rebellion (which was mentioned earlier) website, where those interested can read about and if they want, donate to, that cause:

https://rebellion.earth/

A link to a page regarding the US part of the movement:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/15/extinction-rebellion-nyc-climate-activism/

"Extinction Rebellion events are planned for the week starting 15 April 2019, in 27 other countries including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Canada, France, Sweden, Germany, Colombia, New Zealand and in New York City for a national day of action for the United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion

Patrick Moore, founder of Greenpeace Canada is calling out the AGW cultists;

Greenpeace co-founder Patrick Moore had harsh words for the modern environmental movement, calling global warming “the greatest scam in history” and denouncing the use of “fear and guilt” to push the message. Democrats “might as well have signed a suicide pact,” Moore said. “Not just for their political future, but for the future of the economy of the US, for all these people to be piling on the Green New Deal, which is a complete and utter ridiculous document.”

News

RT is a Russian propaganda outfit.

It is very interesting how much interest RT (and the numerous social media profiles and alternative media outlets controlled by the IRA) has with global warming, GMO crops, RoundUp/Glyphosate, vaccines, guns,... They've done a magnificent job infiltrating the "alt-right" and whipping up social angst with various wedge issues. They are all over Infowars and Natural News with their anti-vaccine, anti-GMO, Birtherism, Trutherism, and other assorted issues they can use to get the anti-government folks all bent out of shape.

- - - Updated - - -

So he completely ignores radiation and then calculates how heat is transferred in the system. Okay. Yeah so convection, evaporation, and condensation do the lion's share of the work of moving heat around in the atmosphere and exchanging heat between the atmosphere and the land. That's no new contribution to knowledge.

Umm. The air that rises to then expand and cool rises because it is warmed by radiation or by latent heat from ocean water that was warmed by radiation. The less transparent the air is to radiation, the more it is warmed by radiation. If you ignore radiation and model a system without radiation you can make the numbers work but you aren't describing the system as it is.

Maybe the writing is sloppy? The blog post linked makes it seem like he has modeled how the atmosphere would behave if it closed with respect to heat and there's no radiation of heat out to space.

Feynman begins to explain in the 7th paragraph and for the remainder of the entire paper why our atmosphere (and he only assumes the atmosphere is comprised of non-greenhouse gases N2 & O2) “is not an isothermal atmosphere” due to the thermodynamic work done by gravity upon all gases.

Well thanks for pointing that out. People never noticed that before while studying frontal systems or tropical cyclones. What's the next huge revelation, the oceans aren't isothermal because of convection and gyres? Gee golly. Was buoyancy driven convection a novel concept to him when he started thinking about this?

I'm wondering, how does his model explain the increase in total heat in the system that we have observed over the last 100 years in the form of higher average temperature and higher water vapor content in the air?

Anybody ever offer an explanation that supported Feynman's flawed assumptions?

So he says that radiation is so negligible in atmospheric thermo dynamics that we can completely ignore it.

Why then do we often see our coldest surface temperatures on calm clear nights when there is actually a substantial thermal inversion?

Any answer?

Meanwhile, UK politicians are scolded by a 16 year old school child;

The UK government’s active support for fossil fuels and airport expansion is “beyond absurd”, Greta Thunberg has told MPs. She told MPs: “This ongoing irresponsible behaviour will no doubt be remembered in history as one of the greatest failures of humankind.”

Teh Gruaniad

And then she sent Jeremy Corbyn to sit on the "naughty step" for an hour to think about how irresponsible his party is.

RT is a Russian propaganda outfit.

It is very interesting how much interest RT (and the numerous social media profiles and alternative media outlets controlled by the IRA) has with global warming, GMO crops, RoundUp/Glyphosate, vaccines, guns,... They've done a magnificent job infiltrating the "alt-right" and whipping up social angst with various wedge issues. They are all over Infowars and Natural News with their anti-vaccine, anti-GMO, Birtherism, Trutherism, and other assorted issues they can use to get the anti-government folks all bent out of shape.

- - - Updated - - -

So he completely ignores radiation and then calculates how heat is transferred in the system. Okay. Yeah so convection, evaporation, and condensation do the lion's share of the work of moving heat around in the atmosphere and exchanging heat between the atmosphere and the land. That's no new contribution to knowledge.

Umm. The air that rises to then expand and cool rises because it is warmed by radiation or by latent heat from ocean water that was warmed by radiation. The less transparent the air is to radiation, the more it is warmed by radiation. If you ignore radiation and model a system without radiation you can make the numbers work but you aren't describing the system as it is.

Maybe the writing is sloppy? The blog post linked makes it seem like he has modeled how the atmosphere would behave if it closed with respect to heat and there's no radiation of heat out to space.

Feynman begins to explain in the 7th paragraph and for the remainder of the entire paper why our atmosphere (and he only assumes the atmosphere is comprised of non-greenhouse gases N2 & O2) “is not an isothermal atmosphere” due to the thermodynamic work done by gravity upon all gases.

Well thanks for pointing that out. People never noticed that before while studying frontal systems or tropical cyclones. What's the next huge revelation, the oceans aren't isothermal because of convection and gyres? Gee golly. Was buoyancy driven convection a novel concept to him when he started thinking about this?

I'm wondering, how does his model explain the increase in total heat in the system that we have observed over the last 100 years in the form of higher average temperature and higher water vapor content in the air?

Anybody ever offer an explanation that supported Feynman's flawed assumptions?

Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom