• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New 'Scooby-Doo' Movie 'Curses' Daphne From Size 2 to Size 8

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.yahoo.com/health/scooby-doo-movie-curses-daphne-from-size-2-to-size-8-95381927142.html

scooby-doo-frankencreepy-curse.jpg

The latest Scooby Doo mystery is scary — but not because of the usual monsters, ghosts, and bad guys. “Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy,” the latest direct-to-video animated installment featuring the mystery-solving and crime-fighting gang, follows Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, Velma, and Daphne to Transylvania, Pennsylvania, where they are going to check out the castle that Velma has inherited from her great-great-uncle Dr. Von Dinkenstein. Obviously, high jinks ensue, and when Daphne comes face to face with the bad guy, she is “cursed” with losing the thing that she holds most dear: her small frame. With a simple hex, the cartoon character instantaneously balloons from size 2 to (cover your eyes!) size 8.

Daphne’s curse has sparked a conversation on social media. One person on Twitter wrote, “I must be cursed too. Such nonsense.” And another said, “An 8 is smaller than I am; they drew her 2x bigger. So many things wrong here.” Tom Burns of the blog The Good Men Project also added, “It’s sad to think that my daughter can’t even watch a cartoon about a dog solving mysteries without negative body stereotypes being thrown in her face.” Considering that children start dieting as young as 10, according to a recent study, it’s especially important that what’s being displayed to children in the media elicits healthy messages about body image.

Poor Daphne, I'd expect she'd get her figure back before the movie is over. At least it wasn't Velma, I like her better anyways.

Why do they think children will take on board some message about body image, but they're not worried that they will believe dogs can talk and solve mysteries?

Who said Daphne was a size 2? She looks like a solid size 6 to me. And she's tall.

For her 'after' picture, she looks like a size 22, not 8.

I wish Scooby Doo would go back to its skeptical roots. For one thing, when the gang gets back together and found out Daphne is a fatty, why would they believe that she was "hexed"? It's actually more likely that when removed from presence of that dog eating all their sandwiches she got into habit of overeating.

I wish Scooby Doo would go back to its skeptical roots. For one thing, when the gang gets back together and found out Daphne is a fatty, why would they believe that she was "hexed"? It's actually more likely that when removed from presence of that dog eating all their sandwiches she got into habit of overeating.

I think it's mostly Shaggy whose food gets eaten by Scooby. Even then if anyone in Scooby Doo is overeating, besides the dog, it's Shaggy. Only time I can think of where Scooby took something that was intended for Fred, Daphne, or Velma, was when Scooby drank his drink, in the malt shop, and everyone else's drink emptied too, as if by magic. Either Daphne or Velma, I forget which, said: "how did Scooby do that?". Fred answers: "well that's another mystery".

I have to agree about it's skepticism. It was one of the best things about the show, the real monsters are humans, and the supernatural is just someone trying to scare you for their own gain.

Why do they think children will take on board some message about body image, but they're not worried that they will believe dogs can talk and solve mysteries?

Because dogs in the real world do not talk, but women in the real world do have bodies.

It the same reason why if your best friend tell you that his car was stolen, you are likely to believe him and even act on that belief to help him find it, but if that friend tells you that his brother turned into a werewolf, you would not believe it and instead believe he is pulling your leg or delusional. Both stories could be pure made up fiction, yet one impacts you as though it is true and the other does not.

The problem is not that society's definition of physical beauty does not include larger women.

The problem is that society places far too much emphasis on physical beauty in the first place. In many nonverbal ways, society tells women that their looks are the only thing that matters about them. They are surrounded by highly sexualized images of women that reinforce this point. A woman could win the Nobel prize, and idiots around the world will ask "Yeah, but is she good looking?" as if making a significant intellectual contribution to humanity is of no import. On the flip side, morons like Jenny McCartney routinely advocate things that result in large numbers of children being harmed, but she basically gets a pass from people because she is good-looking. She can harm as many children as she wants as long as she can make men salivate.

If you are among those who think it is a problem that men don't find large women beautiful, you're missing the point. By demanding that men find large women beautiful, you are still reinforcing the idea that looks are all that matters about a woman, and that simply isn't true.

They would have gotten away with, if not for those meddling kids.

Back
Top Bottom