• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Non-American actors using American accents

When I watch Hugh Laurie in House, I've heard he does a really good job at an American accent, but I can't tell you myself how true that is. It could be the same as the horrific attempts at Irish accents I've heard from non-Irish actors myself.

Though not quite as varied as places in Europe, America does have its variety of accents, and, with people moving around a lot, it's possible that aspects of one's speech has residual geographic-specific accent. So, I would say that when a non-American does an "American accent" as long as it isn't obviously non-American, it's pretty good. Unless they're trying specifically to do one of the geographic-specific accents. I haven't watched enough non-American television to see non-American's trying an American accent, but there are definitely some very good examples of well-done accents, like my aforementioned example of Olivia D'Abo.

Carrie Fisher just did an interview where she said trying to make Leia talk in a British accent was a huge mistake that made her sound stupid, so she's not going to bother with it for the next round of films.

She was attempting a British accent in the first three films?

I would never have guessed, seemed more like a '20s Chicago gangland accent to me.

Carrie Fisher just did an interview where she said trying to make Leia talk in a British accent was a huge mistake that made her sound stupid, so she's not going to bother with it for the next round of films.

She was attempting a British accent in the first three films?

I would never have guessed, seemed more like a '20s Chicago gangland accent to me.

Ya, it seems that most people have gone a few decades without noticing that it is what she was trying to do.

Which is the opposite of me. Whenever I try to do a foreign accent, it just comes out sounding British.

Years ago, she was interviewed and THEN she said she'd just come from living in London and she still had a bit of an accent carryover.

For those who didn't notice, you notice it most when she tells Tarkin in SW IV "I noticed your foul stench when I was first brought on board."

I'm seeing people complaining about Anthony Stewart Head's accent in the new SyFy series Dominion, but to me it sounds amazing. He sounds like a completely different person, not just "Anthony Head doing an American accent". Alan Dale OTOH sounds like Alan Dale doing an American accent.

And after checking IMDB, it appears that, of the 8 main characters in this series who speak with American accents, only one is played by an American. The rest are from the UK, Australia, or South Africa.

Am I the only one who thinks Kevin Spacey sounds a bit flat in House of Cards? I haven't seen a lot of it though.

Oh, non-American actors.

From the trailer for Horns, it looks like Daniel Radcliffe does a good job with the American accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8s_1UcdoNI

Am I the only one who thinks Kevin Spacey sounds a bit flat in House of Cards? I haven't seen a lot of it though.

No. I've never liked Kevin Spacey's attempts at Southern accents. It's about the only thing I don't like about him, though.

Back
Top Bottom