• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Notre Dame Cathedral Burns Down

Gun Nut

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
None
The iconic Notre Dame Cathedral is presently burning down. Paris enjoys 12 million tourists a year to see the centuries-old cathedral, which is now turning to ruins.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgVExkZ9GE[/YOUTUBE]

Holy shit. That's a nasty loss of historical value.

My mom is literally in tears right now. She spent a lot of time in Paris and loves the place.

Ya, it's bad... the video I linked is just of the spire falling... the whole place is engulfed.
It's a national disaster for the French... and many many Christians around the world.

It is just a building. Catholics are weeping and wailing. From the gospels I thought living in the spirit was about the hereafter, not material things in the here and now. God is everywhere not in any one place.

Jews traditionally rejected any icons representing god. From the news there was worship of the alledged crown of thorns stored in the church.

Maybe they can build a hospital over the ruins.

Natural disasters are claimed by some Christians as punishment for gays. Perhaps this is god's punishment for Catholic sex abuse. After all he destroyed humanity for going astray.

I have no sympathy for the worship of icons and places.

I had the TV on for some of the coverage and kept expecting to hear that terrorism was involved. What a relief that (so far) that's not being claimed.
I'm still waiting for a televangelist to tell us some deeper meaning about God withdrawing his protection. Haven't heard any yet.

Such a shame though that God doesn't like Christians. Apparently. Perhaps they should stop being such cunts? Perhaps that would stop God punishing them? Also, Al Aqsa mosque was burning at the same time. Yesterday wasn't a good day to be a theist.

I'm still waiting for a televangelist to tell us some deeper meaning about God withdrawing his protection. Haven't heard any yet.
I have overheard my coworker's phone, apparently this isn't an attack, it's just SYMBOLIC of the fact that Europe is 'lost' to the Muslims.

They were able to save Jesus's crucifixion relics of the crown of thorns, a nail and part of the cross. This is important, it means they can crucify him again when he comes back.

What a terrible event. Thankfully the rose windows survived. I don’t understand how atheists could be so callous about this. Notre Dame is not merely a building or a place of worship. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of art in the world. Visiting it you can’t help but be overawed by the craftsmanship that medieval workers put into it. It’s rose windows are just incomparable. I’m so glad they’ve apparently survived the fire.

I don’t have to be a believer to appreciate great art, whether it’s Bach, Michelangelo, Bernini, or one of countless cathedrals in Europe. A building need not have a simple utilitarian aspect to be appreciated. The destruction of Notre Dame is a loss for all humanity, not merely Catholics.

SLD

Such a shame though that God doesn't like Christians. Apparently. Perhaps they should stop being such cunts? Perhaps that would stop God punishing them? Also, Al Aqsa mosque was burning at the same time. Yesterday wasn't a good day to be a theist.

Al Aqsa was burning, too? I hadn’t heard that. Weird.

It was a beautiful building indeed. Difficult to separate that, sometimes, from the profound harm Christianity has done. But I did enjoy the craftsmanship very very much.

I had the TV on for some of the coverage and kept expecting to hear that terrorism was involved. What a relief that (so far) that's not being claimed.

Not yet, but Glenn Beck is already blaming "Islamists"

Beck also speculated that the fire may have been intentionally set by "Islamists," despite fire officials ruling out arson...

“This is their World Trade Center moment, and if this was done by terrorists I think that they will keep it quiet," Beck added.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...blaze-this-is-their-world-trade-center-moment

One report said that there was restoration work being done and the fire started as a result of an accident involving tools. If that's the case, you'd expect tradesmen to have fire extinguishers handy.

I did hear an interview with one of the French fire inspectors that was giving some of the possible causes they were investigating. When he mentioned terrorism as one of the possibilities they were looking into the American reporter quickly shut him down explaining that such speculation would not be allow on their network - and surprisingly, it was a Fox news reporter.

This obviously had nothing to do with terrorism and I think such ancient buildings are more valued as cultural icons with little to do with current religious ideology. I'm sure that the French people consider this a great loss. There are many beautiful churches throughout America and Europe. We don't have to personally value or appreciate them to understand that others do.

I was relieved to hear that the building was evacuated before anyone was harmed. There are already several French billionaires donating money to aide in the reconstruction, which from what I've heard will take decades to complete. It's shameful that people like Glen Beck are trying to make this political, when the current evidence suggests it had nothing to do with arson.

This obviously had nothing to do with terrorism and I think such ancient buildings are more valued as cultural icons with little to do with current religious ideology. I'm sure that the French people consider this a great loss. There are many beautiful churches throughout America and Europe. We don't have to personally value or appreciate them to understand that others do.

I was relieved to hear that the building was evacuated before anyone was harmed. There are already several French billionaires donating money to aide in the reconstruction, which from what I've heard will take decades to complete. It's shameful that people like Glen Beck are trying to make this political, when the current evidence suggests it had nothing to do with arson.

The internet is abuzz with conspiracy theories already. The best I heard was Saturn was in retrograde in Sagittarius. OK!

Jesus in the Flames

"I really see a vivid image," she continued. "I shared it and asked for people's opinions - even my brother in Australia said it looks like Jesus."

She added that she hopes the religious symbol "will bring comfort to people in Paris and all over the world at this sad time."

Psychos abound. How would that be comforting? Was Jesus holding a fire hose maybe?

Jesus in the Flames

"I really see a vivid image," she continued. "I shared it and asked for people's opinions - even my brother in Australia said it looks like Jesus."

She added that she hopes the religious symbol "will bring comfort to people in Paris and all over the world at this sad time."

Psychos abound. How would that be comforting? Was Jesus holding a fire hose maybe?

From the article: "Looks like a figure of Jesus, or I am tripping?"

And you really want an honest answer?

I looked at the photo and finally saw it, maybe a robed like figure but the head was miniature and off balance.

Well at least we know who to blame for the fire.

Back
Top Bottom