• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Notre Dame on fire

Looks like it's going to be a total loss. Building is completely engulfed and the roof has collapsed. Fire fighters having no luck against the fire.

This is so sad. It says construction was going on.....wonder if a torch started it? Can't imagine being THAT guy.

The President tweeted indicating that fire is bad and it needs to be put out. Only if the Parisians had gotten the message quicker they wouldn't have stood around looking at the pretty flames.

or

It is a message from God to PSG, telling them to get their damn act together to win the Ligue Un title.

There's some hope that the stone portions (i.e. most of it) will survive. They restored many large churches in France (and elsewhere) that were damaged by World War 2 bombing.

There's some hope that the stone portions (i.e. most of it) will survive. They restored many large churches in France (and elsewhere) that were damaged by World War 2 bombing.

Maybe, but those are some massive and intense flames that are likely to cause major damage to countless carvings in that stonework and could be hot enough to make the stone parts structurally unsound.

I imagine the stained glass windows are a complete loss.

Given enough time every artefact or building with any historical content is going to disappear. You don't like to see stuff like this happening, but it's inevitable.

People will be shocked today, in a few weeks they'll have forgotten, in a few years there'll be a new building in it's place for people to gawk at a few centuries from now.

Catholics and other Christians worship things, or icons.

You haters can shut right the hell up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-47942176

The report says the structure has been saved.

There were fears that if the fire spread to the bell towers, the huge bronze bells would fall, and that would lead to a collapse of the towers. If the towers collapsed, the vaulting of the nave would likely follow. Hopefully that won't happen now.

Back
Top Bottom