• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Odds of Trump just dropping out

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
OK, allow me to rephrase. In what ways do you feel that the middle class would benefit from a Trump presidency over a Clinton presidency?

He says he wants fair trade with China instead of TPP. With his strong business background it is a good possiblility he may be successful. I agree with him that past presidents have been chumps. And so do the people of this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMlmjXtnIXI&feature=share
Are you kidding. It was corporate people like him that sent jobs to Asia in the first place!
Perhaps it is true that Trump has swindled individual people who are middle class.
It is true. They have brochures for the sales people who worked for Trump University.
But when I say he is for the middle class, what that means is the middle class taken together. Favorable policy decisions vs bad policy decisions for the middle class. What the middle class desperately needs now are the same premium jobs back that Clinton's NAFTA blew away. Right now China is dumping steel with unfair trading and Trump will fix that.
You are aware that China isn't in North America right? How many premium jobs disappeared to Mexico and Canada?

More importantly, how many of the jobs lost to Asia and others have since then been lost to automation? People say they want jobs back that have ceased to exist. Is Trump going to call for bringing back the Telegraph for those high paying telegraph related positions?

Trump is not going let the banksters run over the middle class any longer either.
Why not? Trump doesn't give a fuck. Trump has never shown he has given fuck based on Trump University and the shilling jobs he has done putting his name on products that have failed. Also the whole not paying people for work thing.

Tristan Scott

Basic Beliefs
Open
He says he wants fair trade with China instead of TPP. With his strong business background it is a good possiblility he may be successful. I agree with him that past presidents have been chumps. And so do the people of this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMlmjXtnIXI&feature=share
As Jimmy has pointed out to you NAFTA was a trade agreement with Mexico and Canada. Also, NAFTA didn't cause the loss of any jobs in the USA, the job loss was happening anyway because of greedy corporatists like Trump looking for cheap labor. NAFTA was an attempt to send the jobs that were going to Asia to Mexico instead. If manufacturing was taking place in Mexico resources for the manufacturing would be purchased here and the US could also profit from the required infrastructure improvements in Mexico. The only way for the government to force companies to keep their manufacturing in the US is through taxation, which is another form of protectionism, which could lead to retaliation by our trade partners., i.e. trade wars which invariably lead to recession.

In my opinion trade deficits are vastly overstated as far as overall economic health is concerned-the 90s are proof of that-the elephant in the room is always going to be the critical need to re-disribute the wealth in this country. We know how to do it, we've done it before, we just need politicians with the balls to do it.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Rather than quitting and being forever labelled a quitter, maybe Trump is going for suicide by convention. Like suicide by cop, he could continue to do the bare minimum to sustain the illusion of being a candidate while also deliberately and intentionally provoking the delegates to dump his lame ass at the convention.

This is premised on my assumption that Trump ran for president as a lark (or as a way to promote his brand) and was surprised when he kept winning primaries.

I think the idea that the Clintons put him up to it is more likely than most here would admit. I don't think he wants to be president, but he does love being cheered on by thousands of drooling idiots. It is his drug addiction. So he'll stay at that trough as long as he can, soaking up the adoration. Probably hoping the Pugs will force him out at the convention so he can give lots of speeches about what a great president he would have been.

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
Trump is not going let the banksters run over the middle class any longer either.

Why not? Trump doesn't give a fuck. Trump has never shown he has given fuck based on Trump University and the shilling jobs he has done putting his name on products that have failed. Also the whole not paying people for work thing.

If he strikes a deal and it's not a win-win such that it's only a win for him, then though that may not always be right, it's not necessarily disadvantageous for the winning side.

You're not bracketing up. If he works for a business, expect him to side with his personal well-being over the company to which he works. If he owns a business, expect him to side with the success of the business, community fallout be damned. If he governs a state, expect him to care a hell of a lot more about the success of the state he's governing. If he's president, lookout rest of the world. If he becomes leader of the planet, he might try to strike a good deal with alien life, but if he can't as such and only Earth comes out ahead, then it's a go.

You are saying he don't give a darn, well, the role he takes on is important, and you're not taking that into account. I find it hard to conclude that he's not going to act in the US's best interest because he didn't do so when it wasn't apart of his role to do so.

maginog

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I have this crazy theory that Trump only entered this race in the first place to help Clinton, that he has pulled off a masterful performance, and that he always intended to hand the presidency to Hillary if he won the nomination. They have a long history of being friends and of him supporting her and Bill, and it would explain so much. He outcrazied the crazy republicans as only he can, and used his celebrity and bold language to push the talking points the republicans always hinted at, but did it more explicitly and captured the nomination.

Brilliant really on Trump and Hillary's part if this was the plan all along :)

I would say this scenario is as likely as Coca-Cola planning for the New Coke campaign to work out the way it did.

On the other hand, Coke ended up with an increased percentage of market share with the reintroduction of old Coke and the resulting increase in old Coke sales. Having both new and old Coke available together also added to overall sales, even though new Coke was essentially a flop.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

If he strikes a deal and it's not a win-win such that it's only a win for him, then though that may not always be right, it's not necessarily disadvantageous for the winning side.

You're not bracketing up. If he works for a business, expect him to side with his personal well-being over the company to which he works. If he owns a business, expect him to side with the success of the business, community fallout be damned. If he governs a state, expect him to care a hell of a lot more about the success of the state he's governing. If he's president, lookout rest of the world. If he becomes leader of the planet, he might try to strike a good deal with alien life, but if he can't as such and only Earth comes out ahead, then it's a go.

You are saying he don't give a darn, well, the role he takes on is important, and you're not taking that into account. I find it hard to conclude that he's not going to act in the US's best interest because he didn't do so when it wasn't apart of his role to do so.
So what does this have to do with banking regulations?

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian

It has to do with your reasoning (him not caring) for why he wouldn't act in the middle class's best interest regarding bank regulations.

RVonse

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
that people in the US are living in the matrx
Trumps speech to recruit Sander supporters here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgEHDTEd6Fo

Based on comments here I won't expect many of you to listen to any of this but one thing that stood out for me is when he said: "Hillary's campaign slogan is I'm with her. But my slogan is I'm with you. America first."

It was a hell of a speech IMO. I'm actually a Bernie supporter and a registered democrat but still found it hard to disagree with any he said.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Trumps speech to recruit Sander supporters here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgEHDTEd6Fo

Based on comments here I won't expect many of you to listen to any of this but one thing that stood out for me is when he said: "Hillary's campaign slogan is I'm with her. But my slogan is I'm with you. America first."

It was a hell of a speech IMO. I'm actually a Bernie supporter and a registered democrat but still found it hard to disagree with any he said.
Politicians say lots of thing so people vote them into office. It's best to look at a person's record, and a voting record if they've held office. I wouldn't give a wooden nickel for anything a politician says.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

You are a Bernie supporter, but find Trump interesting? You should be careful making such statements. People can die when the meters start blowing.

There is absolutely no fucking appeal to Trump other than... there is no fucking appeal. Clinton with tow the Establishment line? Trump is the fucking Establishment! This idea is barely less idiotic than when tea baggers were supporting Newt Gingrich in the primaries in '12.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
It has to do with your reasoning (him not caring) for why he wouldn't act in the middle class's best interest regarding bank regulations.
Firstly, he is too detached to even know what the middle class needs. He's been rich his entire life and has shown absolutely no indication he understands what it is like to be in the Middle Class. Secondly, why should he give a fuck? Because he says he cares, like his alleged love of the military, when he has given more to the Clinton Foundation than the military prior to the election? He is a liar, a habitual liar.

KeepTalking

Code Monkey
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Secular Humanist, Pastifarian, IPUnitard

You're not bracketing up. If he works for a business, expect him to side with his personal well-being over the company to which he works. If he owns a business, expect him to side with the success of the business, community fallout be damned.

Then let's look at his record in this regard. We see him leaving a slew of failed business behind, businesses he owned, while continuing to personally enrich himself. Expect no difference if you put him in charge of the country. He won't give a shit about the USA, just what is in it for him. That is his modus operandi, and you have to be blind, almost willfully so, not to see it.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
He destroyed the entire field because the 60%-70% of the (Republican) electorate who voted against him couldn't unite around a single candidate.

That will not be a problem in November...
In the 2016-horse-race thread, I'd posted on a poll that used a preference ballot. The people polled put the Republican candidates into the order of their preference: first choice, second choice, etc. The polled ones were split on Donald Trump, either rating him very high or else very low -- the lowest.

The preferences were counted up using the Instant Runoff Voting algorithm, and as the count continued, candidates dropped out. Donald Trump picked up a lot of votes only very late in the count. The one who got a majority was Ted Cruz, and he got it by a narrow margin, and Donald Trump was the only other candidate who made it that far.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Donald Trump the government servant. Does anyone else find that ridiculously idiotic? There must be a lot of dumb voters in the U.S.

Sarpedon

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
the Philosophy of Not Giving a Damn
I suspect that not a few of Trump's supporters want him to burn Washington down. The idea that he'd be a poor president is all part of the appeal.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I suspect that not a few of Trump's supporters want him to burn Washington down. The idea that he'd be a poor president is all part of the appeal.
Naw, they think he is the messiah for DC. To finally bring back some common, straight from the gut, sense.

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God
Naw, they think he is the messiah for DC. To finally bring back some common, straight from the gut, sense.

Yes, I imagine that most of them would have far less of a problem with Washington being a corrupt hellhole run almost entirely off of bribery if they were the one on the benefitting end of that bribery.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated

Yes, I imagine that most of them would have far less of a problem with Washington being a corrupt hellhole run almost entirely off of bribery if they were the one on the benefitting end of that bribery.

That's exactly what Trump tells them they WILL be.
Everybody gonna be a billionaire from fleecing everyone else, just like teh Donald. How that can flush in the "minds" of his acolytes is beyond me.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
If Trump quits, it won't be till the convention. He can't resist a week long event devoted to him.

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
You're not bracketing up. If he works for a business, expect him to side with his personal well-being over the company to which he works. If he owns a business, expect him to side with the success of the business, community fallout be damned.

Then let's look at his record in this regard. We see him leaving a slew of failed business behind, businesses he owned, while continuing to personally enrich himself. Expect no difference if you put him in charge of the country. He won't give a shit about the USA, just what is in it for him. That is his modus operandi, and you have to be blind, almost willfully so, not to see it.
But it's a stretch to say he don't care. If things begin to fall apart as president (oh say, an immenint impeachment), then yes, survival mode kicks in and America doesn't remain his number one prority, but to think he'd get in and not care very much about bringing his genius to bear on making the US prosper like never before is a bias bread on bad reasoning.

There may be many things in the past he has done that he wouldn't do as president. You can't live by the saying, "once a thief, always a thief." People of a particular caliber cannot be properly judged by track record. I think he is fantastically full of crap, but to say he won't care when put in the position to effect great change is not even remotely guaranteed by his actions of past roles.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
You can't live by the saying, "once a thief, always a thief." People of a particular caliber cannot be properly judged by track record.

What particular caliber would that be? Billionaires? I hardly take wealth as the measure of a person. In truth, we have nothing other than past performance by which to reasonably judge any presidential candidate. If the fact that Trump has no track record in the political arena says that he might be a completely different person as president, one has to ask whether that different person might be (even more of) a stark raving loon, or if he is more likely to magically turn into a saint.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
But it's a stretch to say he don't care.
There is nothing to indicate otherwise. Trump loves Trump. That is about the only known about the guy.
If things begin to fall apart as president (oh say, an immenint impeachment), then yes, survival mode kicks in and America doesn't remain his number one prority, but to think he'd get in and not care very much about bringing his genius to bear on making the US prosper like never before is a bias bread on bad reasoning.
His genius? The guy owned Qarth for fuck sakes. 50% of his self proclaimed wealth is based on the image of his last name.

There may be many things in the past he has done that he wouldn't do as president. You can't live by the saying, "once a thief, always a thief." People of a particular caliber cannot be properly judged by track record.
Seeing that he doesn't have a political record to go by and he has switched a ton of positions, pretty much his business record (Trump University wasn't 10 years ago) is the only thing to go by.
I think he is fantastically full of crap, but to say he won't care when put in the position to effect great change is not even remotely guaranteed by his actions of past roles.
That is a red herring. People aren't exclusively saying "he won't care". He doesn't have the skills to be President. He doesn't have the skills to appoint people to advise him as President. He doesn't have the skills for diplomacy. He is one of the most ill suited people to be on a major party ticket in the history of the country.

Shadowy Man

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Rational Pragmatism

But as we know, this isn't the only thing he has said in the campaign.

I find it hard to believe anything Trump says because he's clearly a pathological liar living in a fantasy world of his own delusions.

Tristan Scott

Basic Beliefs
Open
But it's a stretch to say he don't care. If things begin to fall apart as president (oh say, an immenint impeachment), then yes, survival mode kicks in and America doesn't remain his number one prority, but to think he'd get in and not care very much about bringing his genius to bear on making the US prosper like never before is a bias bread on bad reasoning.

There may be many things in the past he has done that he wouldn't do as president. You can't live by the saying, "once a thief, always a thief." People of a particular caliber cannot be properly judged by track record. I think he is fantastically full of crap, but to say he won't care when put in the position to effect great change is not even remotely guaranteed by his actions of past roles.
I agree that what he has done in the past isn't the issue. The issue with most of us is what hw says he's going to do if he's elected. We'd be totally fucked for a generation if was able to do what he says he would do.

Colonel Sanders

Basic Beliefs
Atheist

I've never had bias bread. I've had banana bread though, and it's pretty good as long as some assface doesn't put raisins in it.

Anyway, Trump's track record is ass and he has an ass for a face.

And through the power of logic, it is obvious that he puts raisins in banana bread.

braces_for_impact

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
His campaign is a hallmark of mismanagement. He doesn't even have someone keeping him in the loop about current events. He was on AM radio talking about the Texas abortion law decision saying that if he was in office he could have appointed a justice to prevent the decision: on a 5-3 ruling! He fired whats-his-face almost two weeks ago, no word on a campaign manager.

The media is actually starting to tear him a new arsehole, and it shows. Not only do we have his past failed businesses which show he's not all that as a businessman, but Trump University and now Trump Institute. We also have "Mr. Millions to charity" only being able to be verified to the tune of $10,000 over the years, and no evidence that he waived his loans to his own campaign like he says he has. His shit is falling apart at the seams. His brand is in freefall. He's fucked.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
He was on AM radio talking about the Texas abortion law decision saying that if he was in office he could have appointed a justice to prevent the decision: on a 5-3 ruling!

Being math challenged helps him continue to pretend to be a billionaire. Good thing for him, his acolytes are just as stupid as he is.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
His campaign is a hallmark of mismanagement. He doesn't even have someone keeping him in the loop about current events. He was on AM radio talking about the Texas abortion law decision saying that if he was in office he could have appointed a justice to prevent the decision: on a 5-3 ruling! He fired whats-his-face almost two weeks ago, no word on a campaign manager.

He is a hallmark of mismanagement, why is it any surprise that his campaign is also?

arkirk

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheist/agnostic
I have always thought that Trump ran as a stocking horse for the Clintons to begin with. These people moved in the same circles before this election cycle began to heat up. Trump, by occupying the the candidate's seat sloshes disapproving voters over to the Clinton campaign. And there are a flock of Repugs who will be voting for the Clit. There really is no reason to smack at Trump and then go out and vote for Clinton. She is in spades what he is...a corporatist. It can be no clearer. If you want something other than more of the same, you have to vote outside the duopoly.:rolleyes:

Clinton and her surrogates have already completely disengaged from the Progressive agenda....taking corporatist positions on TPP, oil drilling, fracking, etc. etc. etc. This leaves those who she expects to vote for her without even a BROKEN PROMISE to reference when she gets her stuff done.

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
atheist

I think you are correct

- - - Updated - - -

But it's a stretch to say he don't care. If things begin to fall apart as president (oh say, an immenint impeachment), then yes, survival mode kicks in and America doesn't remain his number one prority, but to think he'd get in and not care very much about bringing his genius to bear on making the US prosper like never before is a bias bread on bad reasoning...

His "genius" ?

:hysterical:

arkirk

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheist/agnostic
I think you are correct

- - - Updated - - -

But it's a stretch to say he don't care. If things begin to fall apart as president (oh say, an immenint impeachment), then yes, survival mode kicks in and America doesn't remain his number one prority, but to think he'd get in and not care very much about bringing his genius to bear on making the US prosper like never before is a bias bread on bad reasoning...

His "genius" ?

:hysterical:

I think his diabolical genius may just be GETTING HILLARY CLINTON ELECTED...AND LITTLE ELSE.

Top Bottom