• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pete Buttigieg

If you want to insult by GIF, the last "word" can be yours if you feel that urge again. If you want to discuss the actual issue in more depth, feel free to holler and I will take you up on your charitable offer.

Surely you can see the difference between "writing off 20-40% of the populace" and "giving 20-40% of the populace a permanent 50% stake in all Supreme Court decisions forever"

WUT? Did someone suggest conceding the SCOTUS to the fucking nazis? If you've read what I've written here and elsewhere, you'd know that my fondest hope for the SC is that 2 seats are added asap, and filled with liberal judges to counter the two illegitimate seats now occupied by toadies of the oligarchy.

Surely you can see the difference between "writing off 20-40% of the populace" and "giving 20-40% of the populace a permanent 50% stake in all Supreme Court decisions forever"

WUT? Did someone suggest conceding the SCOTUS to the fucking nazis? If you've read what I've written here and elsewhere, you'd know that my fondest hope for the SC is that 2 seats are added asap, and filled with liberal judges to counter the two illegitimate seats now occupied by toadies of the oligarchy.

We've been talking about this for a few pages so the original link got lost, but this discussion started because of Pete's proposal to permanently deadlock the Supreme Court with 15 justices: 5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 5 "apolitical" or "non-biased" ones chosen by the other 10.

“The reform of not just expanding the number of members but doing it in a way where some of them are selected on a consensus, nonpartisan basis, it’s a very promising way to do it,” he said. “There may be others. But the point is, we’ve got to get out of where we are now, where any time there is an opening, there is an apocalyptic, ideological firefight. It harms the court, it harms the country and it leads to outcomes like we have right now.”

My sense is that Pete and his supporters believe that being "partisan" is inherently negative or at least not preferable to being non-partisan, both on an individual level and at the level of representative democracy, so he sees the current social and political landscape as a crisis stemming from "ideological firefights" that need to be less frequent. I vehemently disagree. I like this line from the article:

But Buttigieg, evidently concerned about “ideological firefight,” wants to “depoliticize” SCOTUS by formally politicizing it and leaving it up to the partisans to decide who is not partisan.

My sense is that Pete and his supporters believe that...

Since you and I have been debating for several pages now, I am wondering if you are implicitly including me in that list, but will just not explicitly say so. Is that your way of trying to have a "last word" in our exchange? If you want to continue the discussion on the merits of the issue with me, I am all for it. If you are trying to get in a cheap shot while presenting yourself as being more of a sportsman than you really are, then you need to stop. Just say out loud whether you want to have that discussion with me or not. No insults, no backwards or sideways jabs. Cut the GIF wannabe-witty responses. Just be honest and say you want to debate the issue with me head on, or you do not. Do not come around to try and hit me from other angles though. That is immature.

Pete Buttigieg raised staggering $7 million in April alone

In just skimming through the article, I cannot find a mention of how much he raised in May. Part of Pete's success was likely due to Biden's delayed entry into the race. Biden entered in late April though, so would be interesting to see if Pete's numbers remained very high in May still or got starting flattening a bit.

Also noteworthy, Pete mentions in an interview that he almost certainly would not be the first gay president in U.S. history (just the first openly gay one). Wowza. Had never considered that before, and have no idea what the sexual preferences were for most of the prior 45, so could only guess at it.

Pete Buttigieg raised staggering $7 million in April alone

In just skimming through the article, I cannot find a mention of how much he raised in May. Part of Pete's success was likely due to Biden's delayed entry into the race. Biden entered in late April though, so would be interesting to see if Pete's numbers remained very high in May still or got starting flattening a bit.

Also noteworthy, Pete mentions in an interview that he almost certainly would not be the first gay president in U.S. history (just the first openly gay one). Wowza. Had never considered that before, and have no idea what the sexual preferences were for most of the prior 45, so could only guess at it.

Buttigieg was just talking statistics, but historians and contemporary political enemies have at times "accused" James Buchanan Jr (most credibly), Abraham Lincoln (very unlikely), Alexander Hamilton (maybe! he did write some rather steamy letters to gentleman friends), and LBJ (definitely not, this one was guilt-by-association after his BFF was outed).

The second quarter is only a few hours expired now but the fundraising numbers are already out there:

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1145630226837360640

Thank you to the over 400,000 of you who have invested in this campaign, and who helped us raise over $24,800,000 this quarter alone. You inspire us every step of the way, and we're just getting started. Text SHOWUP to 25859 to keep the momentum going!

The second quarter is only a few hours expired now but the fundraising numbers are already out there:

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1145630226837360640

Thank you to the over 400,000 of you who have invested in this campaign, and who helped us raise over $24,800,000 this quarter alone. You inspire us every step of the way, and we're just getting started. Text SHOWUP to 25859 to keep the momentum going!
It looks like his Senate race is definitely looking good at the moment.

The constituents of his town sure would've liked him to SHOWUP and address their concerns about police brutality and institutional racism instead of making a press-conference appearance, talking to the cops before anyone else, and then hightailing it

Back
Top Bottom