• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pit Bulls!

You mean besides what's in the AVMA summary of the peer-reviewed literature that I linked to and quoted in Post #8?

Can you point to the exact part that says pit bulls do not kill people?

Because the parts you quoted do not say that.

Reading comprehension fail? When did I say that pit bulls never kill people?

You mean besides what's in the AVMA summary of the peer-reviewed literature that I linked to and quoted in Post #8?

Can you point to the exact part that says pit bulls do not kill people?

Because the parts you quoted do not say that.

So, in what way are the statistics that show pit bulls kill 20+ people per year wrong?

So, in what way are the statistics that show pit bulls kill 20+ people per year wrong?

JFC, if you aren't able to read, then we're done here.

I can read. I read the quoted parts of the site you linked. I did not see how they were in any way a rebuttal of the fact pit bulls kill 20+ people per year. I now observe you do not appear to be capable of explaining how they are.

I have two experiences with Pit Bulls.

The first is pleasant. The neighborhood dog was a pit bull named Sleepy that must have had mites in its ears because it was forever rolling around on its back and rubbing its head into the ground. But it was a very sweet - if large - dog that never threatened anyone. I felt very comfortable with it laying beside the kids in the yard when they were toddlers. It was so friendly that it was a couple months before I realized it was a pit, just a sweetheart of a dog that roamed freely, but was owned by the folks a few houses down the road.

The second experience is not pleasant. Crazed pits escaped from their enclosure and mauled a neighbor who jogged the same route as me. I actually changed my jogging route because of their aggressive behavior, fearing that if they ever got out I'd be fucked.

I've been around pit mixes that kept me on edge, but it isn't the dog, it's the owners.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Propaganda from a site with tagline "Dogs bite. Some dogs don't let go." that was founded by a random woman who was bitten while jogging.

Should I have just stopped my post there?

You should stop spreading propaganda, yes. The rest of your post was premised on your interpretation of those incorrect 'statistics'.

Should I have stopped MY post there? You know, before I quoted the peer-reviewed summary of the scientific literature on dog bite risk? The one that shows that 'pit bulls' are not identified as disproportionately dangerous?
Yes, they are.

Breeds Implicated in Serious Bite Injuries

In a range of studies, the breeds found to be highly represented in biting incidents were German Shepherd Dog,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,50 mixed breed,1,4,6,8,10,11,12,19,17, 20,50 pit bull type,5,9,13,16,21,20,22,23,24,25,26,27 Rottweiler,15,18,22,24,25,28...
Just going by the links, they seem to have won the silver medal in the serious bite stakes. Easy to miss though, at least for people who skip the first sentence of a report.

The pit bull type as we know it today was established in England. Breeders mixed bulldogs, which were larger and leaner than they are today, with a variety of terrier types, including Staffordshire bull terriers. This created a strong, athletic and tenacious dog that was used for blood sports, such as bull baiting.
That's all I need to know.

I remember seeing one of those "People's Court" type TV shows. It was a case of a dog attack. I remember the judge saying "Why is it always a pit bull?!?"

I don't recall us having a thread on this topic before. Where do you all stand on the idea of Pitbull Bans?

Here is an article I was reading that prompted me to ask you:

https://www.thecut.com/2017/03/how-both-sides-of-the-pit-bull-debate-get-it-wrong.html

I think breed specific bans are stupid and classification of 'dangerous breeds' is mostly self-fulfilling. They are large, strong, dogs and need to be treated/trained as such, but so are many other kinds of dog. Every pit mix I've ever met was an absolute sweetheart.

Ditto. And almost every Chihuahua I ever met was a holy terror. They scare me a lot more than pit bull terriers.

My mother's Chihuahua mix's distrust of strangers was sadly learned when the police kicked our door in one time. Poor thing was never the same after that, what's worse she taught it to the younger one!

Back
Top Bottom