• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Plant Based Diets and Weight Loss

rousseau

Contributor
I know we've got a few members who either are or were vegetarians or vegans, and who have been at it longer than I have. I was following Pescetarianism for about a year, and in the past month or two switched to full Vegetarianism (with minimal eggs and dairy).

What I'm finding with weight loss is that I'm slowly and steadily losing weight, to the point that I'm now within a healthy BMI range (I do know the limits of BMI). However, the concern is with losing too much weight, and I'm wondering how others have experienced weight loss when following plant-based diets.

At some point did the weight loss level out and your appetite increased? Did you start needing to increase your caloric intake? How did your diet need to change?

If people can avoid arguing against following plant-based diets in this thread that'd be appreciated, I'm aware of the science.

Are you actually becoming too thin? Or just concerned that you might become too thin?

It’s been a long time since I was actually vegetarian ( lacto ovo ) and it’s definitely not reasonable to compare then and now as far as what it meant for my weight. During my vegetarian years ( with occasional fish or seafood on rare occasions and then a few times a year with families of origin who made zero attempts to accommodate vegetarian leanings—meat was always front and center) I was somewhere between underweight and the low end of healthy for my age/gender/height/build, an exception being during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I gained a lot of weight during pregnancy and then until the last pregnancy, dropped it fairly quickly. But I was young! I thought my lean metabolism would continue throughout my life, despite seeing that none of my family members were slender, much less borderline underweight. My husband was also young and we both were thinner in our youth-which is very common in the US. Middle years often come with some extra pounds around the middle.

It is difficult for me to say whether my weight gain is most connected to having carried 4 pregnancies, entering my 30’s or increasingly eating meat—a switch that mostly came because it was increasingly difficult with the children to be confronted by the very unfamiliar meat in the homes of their friends and extended family. And we could afford to occasionally have meat more easily than our younger days, and especially fish/seafood, which have always been a weakness of mine.

The other thing is that what I really wanted was for my kids to be healthy and to have a healthy relationship with food. A family member on my husband’s side was anorexic and one of my siblings…had very much the opposite issue. There was no junk food they did not eat as much as they could. Both unhealthy extremes.

I didn’t want anything to be forbidden. We’ve always had a few vegetarian meals every week, without saying today is a no meat day! Dinner was just …dinner. And budget was budget. My oldest was shocked when we invited him for steak a couple of months after he moved out. We never had steak when he was growing up—too expensive! And frankly just not on our radar. But as we had more money and also a grill, sometimes we do burgers or steaks.

If I remember correctly you are within the same age group as my kids. You can look around at your family of origin and see if you genuinely should be concerned about losing too much weight. Some friends have long been vegetarian —and still do half marathons! mostly out of health concerns as heart disease is an issue in both their families. However, they’ve decided that food is just food and while they almost always eat very healthy, they are not too restrictive about their eating.

I think that it’s probably most important for you —and your family—that you and your wife are on the same page re: food/eating habits so that you model healthy eating for your kids and so that you both are healthy.

When my diet was reasonably plant-based, but including meat I was pretty much holding steady around 225 - 230 lbs. About 15 months ago I switched to Pescetarianism, and around 6 months ago to Vegetarianism, which is mostly vegan but includes some dairy and very occasional seafood. My diet's very low in fat and sugar.

I'm still at a healthy weight, but since switching I've been dropping steadily which is the cause for concern. It's hard to know if I'm approaching a healthy weight, or just not eating enough.

But since making this thread I've done some research which recommended 'keeping an eye on it', and if my weight becomes too low I'd need to start setting calorie goals. So that's the plan. But at this point I can't imagine going back, the thought of eating poultry or red meat grosses me out a bit now.

I am not vegetarian, but early in the year I lost 20lbs in 4 months. I had gotten off my diet and put on weight.

When I got at my target weight I started eating more and watching dialy weight. I did not count claloriess.

Average pounds/week was pretty steady.

Through trial and error checking my weight each day I figured out what to eat to stabilize.

I'll go up and down 2 or 4 pounds over time.

I'm not vegetarian but rice and beans have become a staple for me.

Congratulations.

When my diet was reasonably plant-based, but including meat I was pretty much holding steady around 225 - 230 lbs. About 15 months ago I switched to Pescetarianism, and around 6 months ago to Vegetarianism, which is mostly vegan but includes some dairy and very occasional seafood. My diet's very low in fat and sugar.

I am on a high-protein diet myself. I get some fat and carbs but I stay away from processed sugar and so-called bad fats. I recommend to do a high-protein diet with some healthy fats and healthy carbs, too. It's actually important to get macronutrients like protein, fiber, carbs, fats, and water. There are some calculators online I have used that help determine how much of each per day to get based on activity level and other factors.

I'm still at a healthy weight, but since switching I've been dropping steadily which is the cause for concern. It's hard to know if I'm approaching a healthy weight, or just not eating enough.

I think you are asking the right question. Will you get to an equilibrium? My understanding is this is based on whether you are in calorie surplus or calorie deficit. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. If you eat more than you burn, you gain. I think it's important that if you lose, that you retain muscle and are only burning off some fat. So I recommend protein supplement. For a plant-based diet, they have some plant protein shakes and these might be good with vitamins and minerals in them, too. I also recommend to look at that BMI chart and take it together with feedback from healthy friends and family about how healthy you look.

But since making this thread I've done some research which recommended 'keeping an eye on it', and if my weight becomes too low I'd need to start setting calorie goals. So that's the plan. But at this point I can't imagine going back, the thought of eating poultry or red meat grosses me out a bit now.

It seems like it may be easier to stick to this kind of diet these days.

I am on a high-protein diet myself. I get some fat and carbs but I stay away from processed sugar and so-called bad fats. I recommend to do a high-protein diet with some healthy fats and healthy carbs, too. It's actually important to get macronutrients like protein, fiber, carbs, fats, and water. There are some calculators online I have used that help determine how much of each per day to get based on activity level and other factors.

I think you are asking the right question. Will you get to an equilibrium? My understanding is this is based on whether you are in calorie surplus or calorie deficit. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. If you eat more than you burn, you gain. I think it's important that if you lose, that you retain muscle and are only burning off some fat. So I recommend protein supplement. For a plant-based diet, they have some plant protein shakes and these might be good with vitamins and minerals in them, too. I also recommend to look at that BMI chart and take it together with feedback from healthy friends and family about how healthy you look.

It seems like it may be easier to stick to this kind of diet these days.

This past month I reached out to a dietitian and used a professional diet tracking app. Most macro and micro nutrients were good save a few vitamins (I eat an enormous amount of legumes). That's my thinking - I'm just dropping fat right now.

The diet is definitely a lot easier to follow these days. Before going full veg I was genuinely apprehensive, but it's been fine. Although I've found some of the staples in my diet (Unsweetened Soy Milk, Unsalted Peanuts) can be hit or miss at the grocery store at times.

I’m a vegetarian and have a very difficult time losing weight. I’ve been vegetarian for 11 years now. I’ll eat meat maybe 2-3 times per year when getting a veggie meal is just too difficult.

So that’s one data point.

Or, more generically…
Rousseau: As a vegetarian, I’ve lost weight
Rhea: as a vegetarian - Here it is! I found it!

Or, more generically…
Rousseau: As a vegetarian, I’ve lost weight
Rhea: as a vegetarian - Here it is! I found it!

Not sure I get your meaning. Would you say you're happy with your weight? Or IOW, have no weight left to lose?

When I analyze what I'm actually doing I seem to be pretty near vegan, with minimal sugar and no alcohol, which might have something to do with it. But also I might just be approaching a traditional healthy weight and losing all the fat I've accumulated over the years.

I think Rhea is claiming to have “found” the weight you “lost”.
😏
I’ve always had trouble keeping weight on, no matter what I eat. Being vegetarian for several years made little difference.

I think Rhea is claiming to have “found” the weight you “lost”.
😏
I’ve always had trouble keeping weight on, no matter what I eat. Being vegetarian for several years made little difference.

Right, that makes sense. It also dawns on me that having two kids under four likely doesn't help with meeting calorie needs.

Years ago I went plant based and it was definitely easier to keep the weight off. That's always been my problem, keeping the weight off. Have been knocking up and down between 178 and 192 for the last year. Maybe I'll do the plant based thing again, see if I stabilize at the lower end, which has always been my goal. Legumes and Romaine lettuce take up most of the show with sardines getting an occasional hit. Typically start the day with hemp protein and bone broth. I know bone broth doesn't fit the plan but it is extremely low in calories and very high in nutrients, just get the kind that has no added salt.

My six month stint with a vegan diet taught me a lot. Such a pain in the ass but it's great for hammering home the behavioral changes needed. It's about permanent lifestyle change period

I do remember slowly getting used to decreased fat intake, always feeling a little bit hungry. That took awhile to get used to. Then as I came off it, how little fatty protein it took to feel full again. Sadly it was a lot easier to get back to my old self again. An why shouldn't it be? Six month out of a lifetime of unhealthy food and the bane of my existence, eating in the evenings.

I think about doing it again but just the thought of all that constant food prep just to eat food that's just okay. It's a bit depressing.

I can get Mounjaro or Wegovy from the VA but I have to attend twelve classes before I will even be considered. The Nutritionist said perhaps a four session graduate class if I can show some knowledge regarding diet, exercise, and behavior. Yes I can. I'm trying to cut it down to a page and a half, 1.5 spacing now.

My six month stint with a vegan diet taught me a lot. Such a pain in the ass but it's great for hammering home the behavioral changes needed. It's about permanent lifestyle change period

I do remember slowly getting used to decreased fat intake, always feeling a little bit hungry. That took awhile to get used to. Then as I came off it, how little fatty protein it took to feel full again. Sadly it was a lot easier to get back to my old self again. An why shouldn't it be? Six month out of a lifetime of unhealthy food and the bane of my existence, eating in the evenings.

I think about doing it again but just the thought of all that constant food prep just to eat food that's just okay. It's a bit depressing.

I can get Mounjaro or Wegovy from the VA but I have to attend twelve classes before I will even be considered. The Nutritionist said perhaps a four session graduate class if I can show some knowledge regarding diet, exercise, and behavior. Yes I can. I'm trying to cut it down to a page and a half, 1.5 spacing now.

Vegetarianism's working well for me, not sure I could do veganism.

I don't find the prep too bad, I make a couple dutch ovens worth of legumes every few weeks, and freeze them. Dinner isn't always thrilling but it feels good to not have any meat on my plate, both physically and mentally. Then I have lentils, and chickpea salad from the grocery store to fill in the gaps. Occasionally eggs, and a little more rarely fish when I want to switch it up.

I get a lot of second looks from women now, and my wife tells me that I don't smell bad anymore, so that's a benefit.

I'm also finding that the family is trailing behind, my wife is increasingly eating more legumes, and the boys are showing interest in them too. Which is good, because they're considered one of the defining indicators of a healthy diet.

After reading Floof's best mayo ever recipe, I thought it was time for an egg yolk update. I do love soft runny egg yolk. Well this article is over three years old. That's three years I've been limiting egg consumption, ignorant of how healthy they little globs of orange delight are. Being mindful of course absolutely everything I'm inclined to eat with eggs is unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom