• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Please watch FOX News!

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Seriously.
I mean, don't give yourself a lethal dose or anything, but definitely watch FOX News for a few minutes at a time, regularly.
I kinda slacked off on it myself for the last couple of months, but tuned in yesterday. After seeing so much Republican clowning in the impeachment proceedings yesterday it occurred to me that it might be worth checking out.
OMFG
Less than ten seconds in, I hear "falsified transcript" and within one minute, "Hunter Biden", "Hillary", "witch hunt", "collusion" and various invectives. Over about three minutes, I witnessed a veritable tidal wave of blustering falsehoods, incoherent tirades and conspiracy theories, notably the very ones being promoted by the Three Stooges (Rudi, Ricky and Gordy) regarding Hillary's Ukraine-based server and Ukrainian hacking of the 2016 election on her behalf.
Not one word about any of the evidence against Trump, just declarations of his innocence and hair on fire at how Democrats manufactured the impeachment charade out of whole cloth.
This was all from some dork advisor from the 2016 Trump campaign who I never heard of. Can't say if that is the usual fare for FOX lately, or the only fare, or a rare treat for their viewers, but I was actually laughing for most of the 5 or so minutes I paid attention to it. Then, afterwards, I was crying.
That it is even possible for anyone to watch that with nods or tacit assent, is actually pretty horrifying.

I don't watch TV, but I do tune into conservative radio every now and then. Armstrong and Getty in the morning, every once in a while a more deep red broadcast for as long as I can stomach it. It is helpful to remember that both the "right" and "left" live in carefully crafted realities where facts need not always intrude, and consensus facts are especially absent. It helps me not get as mad at other people when I realize and acknowledge that they are trying to solve entirely different problems with their vote than I am, and have been given ready-made armor against any emotional appeal I might try to make at them. Or vice versa for that matter.

Lethal? It depends what you watch. Hmm, Fox News Dosimeter. I'll tune into ten minutes or so of MacCallum. She's about middle of the road offensive. It used to be Special Report with Beady Eye Bret. I didn't mind listening to the opinion of Krauthammer. I've watched small bits of Tucker a few times. Now that's dangerous.

Trae Crowder watches it, so I don't have to.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gguoGtjtFPA[/youtube]

I watch the Australian version, SKY, instead. It's as painful and as dishonest as you would think. Angelo likes it, though.

I watch too much MSNBC, but they frequently play clips from Fox as do some of the late night comedy shows, so I pretty much know how much propaganda Fox and other far right pundits spit out.

Of course, the people who watch Fox, honestly believe that CNN, MSNBC and the NYTimes are the news sources that are spitting out lies and propaganda.

From time to time, I catch a bit of Faux radio in the kitchen. Lush Rimjob, Sean Insanity, Mark Lelime, and our local right winger Michael Berry. Just to see how rabid they are today. Sean in particular has been rather frantic and toxic as of late. It is an eyeopener. Lies and frothy lipped character assassination galore. Yes, it is sobering to hear what these morons are barking about, and what the loyal Faux listeners are gulping down.

Here in Houston, on the AM dial, we have lots of right winger radio. And no progressive radio save for NPR and Pacifica radio on the FM dial.

A recent survey of Millennial's listening habits are somewhat encouraging. Only 4% think Lush Rimjob is trustworthy. Faux radio's listenership is largely +65 years of age. The irresponsibility of Faux radio ranters can be shocking. Lately, accusing the Democratic party of supporting communism is back in vogue.

These jerks get snot blowing rabid, as of late, Sean Insanity no longer speaks, he yells and is so argumentative, it is hard to take.

Yes, I agree with the op. I try to be informed about wrong things people are saying.

Maybe we're just stupid. Post surgical TV overload for my last 2 weeks - a lot of downtime. Just watched a travel program on New Zealand, where the natural beauty, diversity and welcoming culture (certainly idealized for TV) seemed quite inviting...

The irresponsibility of Faux radio ranters can be shocking.

Yes, likewise their Nooz channels... wonder if they have those in New Zealand.

These jerks get snot blowing rabid, as of late, Sean Insanity no longer speaks, he yells and is so argumentative, it is hard to take.

They bother me less than does my proximity to so many people who actually believe that shit. The worst is the tongue-biting required to maintain civility in an increasing number and frequency of public encounters.

Of course, the people who watch Fox, honestly believe that CNN, MSNBC and the NYTimes are the news sources that are spitting out lies and propaganda.

I'm getting sick of you being such a GOOD person, SH. (You too, Politesse) I've about had it up to here with empathy!!
:p :p :p

Last edited:
Seriously.
I mean, don't give yourself a lethal dose or anything, but definitely watch FOX News for a few minutes at a time, regularly.
I kinda slacked off on it myself for the last couple of months, but tuned in yesterday. After seeing so much Republican clowning in the impeachment proceedings yesterday it occurred to me that it might be worth checking out.
OMFG
Less than ten seconds in, I hear "falsified transcript" and within one minute, "Hunter Biden", "Hillary", "witch hunt", "collusion" and various invectives. Over about three minutes, I witnessed a veritable tidal wave of blustering falsehoods, incoherent tirades and conspiracy theories, notably the very ones being promoted by the Three Stooges (Rudi, Ricky and Gordy) regarding Hillary's Ukraine-based server and Ukrainian hacking of the 2016 election on her behalf.
Not one word about any of the evidence against Trump, just declarations of his innocence and hair on fire at how Democrats manufactured the impeachment charade out of whole cloth.
This was all from some dork advisor from the 2016 Trump campaign who I never heard of. Can't say if that is the usual fare for FOX lately, or the only fare, or a rare treat for their viewers, but I was actually laughing for most of the 5 or so minutes I paid attention to it. Then, afterwards, I was crying.
That it is even possible for anyone to watch that with nods or tacit assent, is actually pretty horrifying.

Sorry, but I'd rather rub my Mother-in-Law's Bunions than watch Fox News. I've had it with Fox!

Seriously.
OMFG

Sorry, but I'd rather rub my Mother-in-Law's Bunions than watch Fox News. I've had it with Fox!

Don't know how long you've been ignoring them, but if it has been more than a few months you deserve to see what they're up to now. Just double up on the tinfoil hat - your MIL can wait five minutes! :D

Seriously.
OMFG

Don't know how long you've been ignoring them, but if it has been more than a few months you deserve to see what they're up to now. Just double up on the tinfoil hat - your MIL can wait five minutes! :D

Okay! But only because I respect your views! Seriously, it's painful listening to fox. I really can't listen to Hannity or Ingram...

Okay! But only because I respect your views! Seriously, it's painful listening to fox. I really can't listen to Hannity or Ingram...

But Tucker Carlson and Stuart Varney and Judge Banshee are somehow palatable?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/donna-brazile-why-i-am-excited-to-join-fox-news-and-take-part-in-a-civil-and-sensible-debate

Well, y'all could watch Donna Brazile. She's joining Fox. :D

Feeling right and righteous is a comfortable place to be. In a bubble, you don’t have to listen — or even think. When we refuse to hear one another, we wall ourselves off from the possibility of learning and, more importantly, finding common ground. Civility and humility are vital to our democratic enterprise. They are even more vital in healing the political divisions tearing us apart. To bridge this great divide, we need to bust out of our comfort zone. In coming to work as a commentator at Fox News, trust me, I’m stepping out of my comfort zone. My beliefs will be challenged, and I welcome it.

In more than three decades in American politics, I have made my share of mistakes. Some would argue I’ve made more than my fair share. But I have never wavered on the values and principles that shaped my commitment to public service. When I was a little girl campaigning to get the city of Kenner, La., to put a playground in my neighborhood, I learned that civility with those who disagreed with me helped keep the dialogue alive. As long as we were still talking, I figured there was a chance for change. I got that playground.

Maybe she has a point!

Fox is not one of the three TV channels that makes it to my house. God, or the Invisible Hand of the Free Market, have decided that I am better off without it.

This is from my relatives Facebook page. He’s obviously only watching Fox News. I swear we’re really heading to civil war.

46EF1936-4F18-4B06-B5EA-571DE551D2E1.jpeg

This is from my relatives Facebook page. He’s obviously only watching Fox News. I swear we’re really heading to civil war.

View attachment 24873

Don't worry, you need two fighting sides and a lot of funding for a war, and politicians these days are all bark. If they weren't cowards they would wear their colors openly, not hide them behind dogwhistle rhetoric and empty promises. Can you imagine any of these guys actually putting their lives (and bankbooks) on the line for their principles? Their principles change every time there's a new poll out. This is a media circus, not a war.

Faux News has always been the exact same thing. This is (literally) nothing new. What’s more, they only reach less than 1% of American viewers (and then among them, the boomer generation and older are their largest demographic).

Like so much of the bullshit that goes on in this country, this is just more of the mouse that roared. The real problem is social media. It takes the fringe stupidity/lunacy/fanatical nonsense that used to just be ignored by the mainstream press and pushes it into the middle, thus forcing the msm to go after it like an ambulance full of puppies on fire.

This is precisely why Putin weaponized it so effectively and why Zuckerberg refuses to make any changes, because the same aspect that Putin uses to manipulate to his own ends is the same aspect Zuckerberg uses to make more billions.

It is unquestionably the most powerful form of marketing/advertising/brainwashing (which is really the best overall term for the whole thing) that we have yet created, bypassing broadcasting exponentially. Where a broadcaster like Faux News could reach, well, 1%, social media can—and does—reach nearly 80%, with 43% getting their news from Facebook. Fucking facebook!

Political Polarization & Media Habits | Pew Research Center - about US news media - the Pew pollsters asked people across the political spectrum their opinions of various news sources. The results were very interesting.

Some sources were trusted only by the Left, like The Daily Kos, and some only by the Right, like the Rush Limbaugh show. What is interesting is what sources the centrists trust, like USA Today. The Left has much higher trust in such sources than the Right does, with some borderline exceptions like Fox News (trusted on the Right) and the Wall Street Journal (trusted on both sides).

In fact, the Right has a sort of news-media bubble: Fox News, Breitbart, The Blaze, the Drudge Report, the Sean Hannity Show, the Glenn Beck Program, and the Rush Limbaugh Show.

Every other TV network is trusted by the Left and the Center but not the Right (ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, PBS, CNN, BBC), and likewise every major newspaper (the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg).

So if there is anyone who is living in a news-media bubble, it's the right wing.

I have a very weak constitution. Carnival rides make me nauseated. Fox news does the same to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/us/polls-media-fake-news.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

In this volatile political moment, information, it would seem, has never been more crucial. The country is in the midst of impeachment proceedings against a president for the third time in modern history. A high-stakes election is less than a year away.

But just when information is needed most, to many Americans it feels most elusive. The rise of social media; the proliferation of information online, including news designed to deceive; and a flood of partisan news are leading to a general exhaustion with news itself.

Add to that a president with a documented record of regularly making false statements and the result is a strange new normal: Many people are numb and disoriented, struggling to discern what is real in a sea of slant, fake and fact.

Of course, many Americans have the opposite experience: They turn to sources they trust — whether on the right or left — that tell them exactly what they already believe to be true. But a new poll released last week found that 47 percent of Americans believe it’s difficult to know whether the information they encounter is true. Just 31 percent find it easy. About 60 percent of Americans say they regularly see conflicting reports about the same set of facts from different sources, according to the poll, by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research and USAFacts.

“Now more than ever, the lines between fact-based reporting and opinionated commentary seem blurred for people,” said Evette Alexander, research director at the Knight Foundation, which funds journalism and research. “That means they trust what they are seeing less. They are feeling less informed.”

According to my linked article, a good percentage of people stopped paying attention to what's going on because they no longer trust sources of news. And the rest of us only trust our favorite sources of news, assuming you can call it news, and not just propaganda.

Back
Top Bottom