• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

podcasts

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I drive quite a bit, and was listening to Audible books; but recently listened to Rachel Maddow's podcast series "Bagman". Really really good!

I'm now listening to "Why Is This Happening" with Chris Hayes, and really enjoying it.

Who here listens to podcasts? Who/what do you listen to?

I listen to sports podcasts pretty much exclusively. I know there is insightful content to be found, but podcasts are what I use to shut off and think about subjects that aren't that important or serious.

Specific ones I listen to regularly:

The Guardian Football Weekly - An award winning podcast based out of England, covering European Football, but mostly the premier league. This is the one I listen to the most as football is the sport I'm the most interested in these days. It's a great podcast, and the hosts/guests are quite funny without being crass.

Spittin Chiclets - This is a podcast covering the NHL, but from the players perspective. On each edition they interview an NHL player, where you get a lot of interesting info and anecdotes from behind the scenes, outside of the actual gameplay. My only complaint is that, unlike the Football podcast, the hosts use a lot of bro/crass humor.

The Bobcast - Another NHL focused podcast from Bob Mckenzie who is a famous hockey commentator. I don't listen to this one as much as Mckenzie spends a lot of time waxing poetic about non-hockey topics. At least he did that in prior seasons, not sure if he's doing it anymore. But when he does talk hockey the commentary is very good.

I've also dabbled in some IT podcasts before, but didn't find them that entertaining or useful. I should probably expand my horizons a little bit, but quite enjoy listening to interesting, but completely pointless conversation. Not about hearing people discuss heavy topics.

Spittin Chiclets - I may have to listen to that one just for the name :D

I've listened to a lot of "Time Suck" with Dan Cummins. He's a comic who does deep dives on subjects he knows nothing about, but does his homework. Hail Nimrod!

There was also a great series on NPR called Embedded that covered a lot of Trump-world.

I've also participated in Pod Save America, having recorded a few interviews for them. Former Obama staffers looking at politics.

I've listened to a lot of "Time Suck" with Dan Cummins. He's a comic who does deep dives on subjects he knows nothing about, but does his homework. Hail Nimrod!

There was also a great series on NPR called Embedded that covered a lot of Trump-world.

I've also participated in Pod Save America, having recorded a few interviews for them. Former Obama staffers looking at politics.

Those all sound interesting. Thank you!

I drive quite a bit, and was listening to Audible books; but recently listened to Rachel Maddow's podcast series "Bagman". Really really good!

I'm now listening to "Why Is This Happening" with Chris Hayes, and really enjoying it.

Who here listens to podcasts? Who/what do you listen to?

I listen to Elizabeth Cronise McLaughlin's #ResistanceLive video cast every weekday on Facebook. I think she casts on Twitter and Youtube as well, but I just watch on FB every day at noon. She's a great legal mind who has years of experience litigating white collar and financial crime and, coincidentally, in the very courts that are making headlines right now: SDNY, DC, and Virginia, as well as with some of the judges involved in those cases. She's been an amazing source of realistic, useful info as well as comfort. I am much more hopeful since listening to her this past year or so.

I also listen to Mueller, She Wrote, a two-hour podcast every Monday. Three brilliant comedians and political activists comb through everything related to the Mueller investigation in detail and with hilarious commentary. They do a Indictment Fantasy game every week where they pick who's gonna get indicted next. They have two guests on each week from a pool of authors, politicians, teachers, and other professionals and public figures. Highly informative and entertaining.

There are other podcasts I like but these are the only two I pay much attention to these days.

Even More News - this is a podcast with the two creators who make the youtube news series Some More News (which is also fucking amazing) - it's a weekly show discussing political news and nothing particularly special about it, but i find the contrast in the two hosts to make it very interesting.
the male, cody, is world-weary and angry (in a passion sort of way) about the insanity of republicans, he's tired of compromising and apologizing for being liberal and is delightfully sort of obstinately progressive.
the female, katie, is your more bog-standard hippie liberal who's into nurturing and finding common ground and being flustered with the way things are but being stoically meek in the face of it.
i just find it personally to be an entertaining distinction since i fall so hard on cody's side of that equation and there aren't very many voices like that out there.

The Good Place (the podcast) - it's literally a podcast about the show The Good Place, but it's hosted by marc evan jackson who's voice is like the concept of sex had sex with a quivering stick of room temperature butter, and The Good Place is amazing, and the podcast is full of cast interviews and delightful on-set stories and fascinating inside info about how TV shows are made.

The Weekly Planet - two australian huge nerds talk about comics, video games, TV shows, and movies. they are delightful.

Chapo Trap House is the only podcast I listen to

Skeptics Guide to the Universe can be interesting/entertaining. This American Life can be good too.

I like Mark Maron’s Interviews with various people, his podcast is called WTF.

Joe Rogan’s pod Is super popular, I have never listened to it though.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. It's my main media entertainment.

Here are my podcasts I follow...

Don't Miss:

Skeptics Guide To The Universe (Skepticism)

The Reality Check (Skepticism)

Star Talk (Neil DeGrasse Tyson) (Science)

Under The Influence (Marketing)

This Week In Science (Science)

Occasionally:

Naked Scientists group of podcasts (Science)

Joe Rogan (Misc)

Hello From The Magic Tavern (Comedy)

Waking Up with Sam Harris (rarely)

Old favourite no longer being made but worth relistening to now and then:

Wiretap with Jonathan Goldstein (Comedy)

Back
Top Bottom