• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Florida deputy who shot airman in his home has been fired for using unreasonable deadly force, sheriff’s office says

The Florida sheriff’s deputy who fatally shot a Black airman in his home has been fired, the sheriff’s office announced Friday.

The decision followed an internal investigation into the former deputy, Eddie Duran. This is the first time Duran’s identity has been publicly disclosed since the shooting earlier this month. A separate criminal investigation into the deputy’s actions is ongoing with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

“The administrative investigation determined the deputy’s use of deadly force was not objectively reasonable and therefore violated agency policy,” a news release from the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office stated.
So, not arrested or charged with murder, then?
More importantly, will Florida PD implement new selection standards or revise their training so the chances of something like this happening again is reduced?

Of course fucking not. Learning from mistakes is a big no no for US cops.

Bias, if not impossible to eliminate, is an extremely difficult issue to remove from the police force. IMO Roger Fortson was killed because to the officer he matched the threat he was trained to use deadly force against. I'm sure the police use footage of past encounters similarly to how sports team administrators review game footage. This tragedy makes me wonder how many of those videos feature Black people as perpetrators or victims compared to others. But let me guess, my considering this is both unreasonable and racist. :rolleyes:

This is the same police department whose deputy shot at a handcuffed (and previously patted down) suspect in a patrol car, because an acorn falling from a tree made him believe the suspect shot at him. :rolleyes:

Edit: But let me make a wild guess. The officer mistook an acorn for shots fired because of something the suspect did.

Florida deputy who shot airman in his home has been fired for using unreasonable deadly force, sheriff’s office says

The Florida sheriff’s deputy who fatally shot a Black airman in his home has been fired, the sheriff’s office announced Friday.

The decision followed an internal investigation into the former deputy, Eddie Duran. This is the first time Duran’s identity has been publicly disclosed since the shooting earlier this month. A separate criminal investigation into the deputy’s actions is ongoing with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

“The administrative investigation determined the deputy’s use of deadly force was not objectively reasonable and therefore violated agency policy,” a news release from the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office stated.
That is still a possibility.

Given the frequent discussions about police officers making split-second decisions in critical situations, it would be commendable if they also made the quick decision to arrest a fellow officer who, upon investigation, was found to have unjustifiably shot someone. I mean it's not like they don't have justifiable cause. :rolleyes:

That is still a possibility.

Given the frequent discussions about police officers making split-second decisions in critical situations, it would be commendable if they also made the quick decision to arrest a fellow officer who, upon investigation, was found to have unjustifiably shot someone. I mean it's not like they don't have justifiable cause. :rolleyes:
I occasionally see other officers or superiors telling officers to back down but I'm not sure if it happens enough.

Untitled.png

Given the polices statement, isn’t it fair to expect that the police conduct due diligence in determining why the officer used deadly force? I mean if I said I shot someone in self defense, the police did an investigation and all evidence points to it not being self defense, would they simply fire me as citizen and let me leave the country? I doubt it. They'd arrest me under whatever charges they deem appropriate based on that evidence. Not go visit my closest union office to discuss my next move. WTF?

I actually feel sorry for Officer Duran. He freaked out and and now will probably pay for it for the rest of his life.

I actually feel sorry for Officer Duran. He freaked out and and now will probably pay for it for the rest of his life.

For Criminals: Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

For Law enforcement: Abuse authority, face severe consequences.

I mean Officer Duran may be found not guilty after a thorough investigation. Just like they investigated the scene and witnesses, they now need to arrest his ass and investigate every inch of his personal life.

Another thing that really pisses me off about cases like this is that they don't seem to realize they owe it to the public to ensure our safety. We deserve to know if this mutha fucka is safe to be around other armed citizens moving forward. If law enforcement didn't get the memo, here it is: "We got legally owned guns all over the damn place out here." We all know he's going to stay in law enforcement, so the bare minimum you can do is investigate this mutha fucka, who YOU gave a gun and badge to, and make sure everything is above board. There should be a damn sense of urgency; standard procedure, to arrest a mutha fucka after your own investigation finds that his actions can't be explained by your policies.

The estate representing a man killed by Portland police in 2022 filed a federal civil rights lawsuit Thursday against the city, accusing officers of using excessive force and the city of negligence because officers failed to provide timely medical care.

Officer Christopher Sathoff fired an AR-15 rifle three times at Immanueal “Manny” Clark as he ran from police, according to the lawsuit and testimony presented to a grand jury. One bullet struck Clark in his back.

Clark was unarmed. The 30-year-old was shot after police incorrectly identified the vehicle he was in as part of an attempted armed robbery. The victim in the robbery attempt initially identified the suspects as three or four white men traveling in a gray sedan. Clark was Black.

Clark died two days later at the hospital. Sathoff was not criminally charged. Nearly a year and a half after the incident, Portland police are still conducting an internal investigation, Sgt. Kevin Allen said.

It gets better (or worse).
When the dispatcher asked the caller to describe the suspect, the caller said there were three or four “white, definitely white,” men. The man who held the handgun at the SuperDeluxe wore a ski mask and a black hoodie, the caller said.

If they get away with shooting me, they'll get away with shooting you.

The estate representing a man killed by Portland police in 2022 filed a federal civil rights lawsuit Thursday against the city, accusing officers of using excessive force and the city of negligence because officers failed to provide timely medical care.

Officer Christopher Sathoff fired an AR-15 rifle three times at Immanueal “Manny” Clark as he ran from police, according to the lawsuit and testimony presented to a grand jury. One bullet struck Clark in his back.

Clark was unarmed. The 30-year-old was shot after police incorrectly identified the vehicle he was in as part of an attempted armed robbery. The victim in the robbery attempt initially identified the suspects as three or four white men traveling in a gray sedan. Clark was Black.

Clark died two days later at the hospital. Sathoff was not criminally charged. Nearly a year and a half after the incident, Portland police are still conducting an internal investigation, Sgt. Kevin Allen said.

When the dispatcher asked the caller to describe the suspect, the caller said there were three or four “white, definitely white,” men. The man who held the handgun at the SuperDeluxe wore a ski mask and a black hoodie, the caller said.
Sounds like somewhere along the line "hoodie" was lost. "Black hoodie" became "black".

But they did run from what was obviously a felony stop. Might be unarmed but unlikely to be innocent.

Sounds like somewhere along the line "hoodie" was lost. "Black hoodie" became "black".

But they did run from what was obviously a felony stop. Might be unarmed but unlikely to be innocent.
Cops are not allowed to shoot fleeing suspects in the back. Especially black ones when the people they are looking for are white.

Totally irrelevant to the issue of shooting an unarmed suspect in the back.

Might be unarmed but unlikely to be innocent allowed to live to defend their innocence of any minor offences in a court of law.
FTFY.

You really need to stop implying that there may be such a thing as "innocent", when you are so clearly determined that literally anyone shot by a cop cannot possibly have it, much less be entitled to a presumption of it.

If a cop shot you dead tomorrow, I can 100% guarantee that there would be a wave of moronic posts from people on the Internet who had never heard of you prior to your death, each and every one seeking to imply that you were in no way innocent, and that your death was completely justified, even though you were simply unlucky to be the person who happened to be in the same place as a scared cop who made a mistake.

I am very confident that your attitude is a coping mechanism. You are determined to find a way to persuade yourself that random death due to police incompetence couldn't happen to you.

Well, it could.

Many victims of police shootings are as innocent as you; And did nothing wrong that you wouldn't have done in the same circumstances.

Your desparation to find a way to show that they are "not innocent" is a way to fool yourself into believing that they are "not enough like me" to imply that you are equally at risk of losing this particular lottery.

Well, perhaps you are fooling yourself. But you aren't fooling anyone else. And you are seriously harming their opinions of your reasoning abilities, your political attitudes, and your emotional maturity.

Back
Top Bottom