• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

As calls to defund the police grew and vilifying the police grew, BLM got their way. Defunding and vilifying happened.
Where? Where has any police force actually been defunded?

As for vilifying, that is nothing new. Police corruption and abuse has always been around, and the people who had to interact with them have long held low opinions of them. My father in law has stories of things he saw, and that his father saw. Only difference is today we have more video evidence so it is harder to deny

Bill deBlowjob cut $1G from NYPD funding.
De Blasio On Shifting $1 Billion From NYPD: 'We Think It's The Right Thing To Do'

AOC did not think that went too far enough. Presumably, she wanted to cut the whole enchilada.

images

As for vilifying, that is nothing new. Police corruption and abuse has always been around, and the people who had to interact with them have long held low opinions of them.
Vilification by far-left politicians has nothing to do with actual corruption and abuse. They do not want police catching criminals, as they see criminals, at least the street level criminals - muggers, burglars, carjackers, etc., as their constituency. That's why the progressive mayor of New Orleans, LaToya Cantrell, supported a teenage carjacker in court and not his victims.
Victims of a juvenile carjacker call for Mayor Cantrell to apologize

My father in law has stories of things he saw, and that his father saw. Only difference is today we have more video evidence so it is harder to deny
Hell, there can be video evidence of a perp pulling the gun on police, and certain people would still be going "#Justice4X" and "ACAB".

Bill deBlowjob cut $1G from NYPD funding.
De Blasio On Shifting $1 Billion From NYPD: 'We Think It's The Right Thing To Do'

You call that a place where “any police force has been defiunded”?

Let’s look at that, shall we?

1. DeBlasio shifted calls about the homeless and school safety to non-police entities. Is this a problem?
  2. Recall this is in the context of: “The overall fiscal 2021 budget is a reflection of the stark realities brought on by a $9 billion loss in revenue amid the coronavirus pandemic, which forced most the city's economy to shut down in the spring.“
  3. And note that this is a reduction of the police budget by 1.1%. Yah. ONE point ONE percent.

What a “SLASH!” (NPR) How absolutely “DEFUNDED” (Derec)
What a dishonest (yes by NPR as well) rendering of the change.

The police budget was cut by 1.1% in part by shifting school safety and homeless issues to non-police entities, and in large part because the entire city faced significant revenue losses and had to cut the budget. So they cut it smartly by decreasing overhead and moving issues that don’t need police into agencies that don’t need to pay for police cars, weapons or academy training.

Seems like the “conservatives” should love this.

Nice catch, Rhea. Thanks for showing again that context matters.

A reduction of 1.1% that is accomplished by in part by reallocation of duties and funds is a minimal change. It is an purely ideological charge to portray this as “defunding” the police.

After the city slashed pension benefits in 2014, and as high-profile police misconduct cases across the country began to sour public opinion of the profession, many officers left the department, and fewer applicants expressed interest, according to department statistics and interviews with current and former officers.

Here's how I interpret this.

As calls to defund the police grew and vilifying the police grew, BLM got their way. Defunding and vilifying happened.

But the residents of cities like Memphis still wanted cops. As the good cops left, the Memphis PD had to drop their standards.

A lot.
Memphis wound up with murderous black thugs, like the ones who killed Nichols, on the force because they had no other feasible option. Nobody else wanted the jobs.

Am I missing something here?
Tom
I see no reason for the word "black" in your 4th paragraph. "murderous thugs" is fine. Where "black" would be relevant is places that have lowered standards in the name of diversity.

That's the best nitpick you can come up with?

I'm pretty sure Chauvin's race figured prominently in the outrage.

Is this some race privilege you're objecting to, pointing out that the perpetrators were black is somehow a problem?
Tom
I am objecting because I see no reason to single out race here--specifying "black" feels like racism to me.

I am objecting because I see no reason to single out race here--specifying "black" feels like racism to me.
Well, right. But specifying that a White cop is White is also rascism. So, let's stop that, too.
As usual, you miss the point. It isn’t about specifying the race by itself but in conjunction with thug. Can you point to posters calling Mr Chauvin a “white thug”?

Well, right. But specifying that a White cop is White is also rascism. So, let's stop that, too.
As usual, you miss the point. It isn’t about specifying the race by itself but in conjunction with thug. Can you point to posters calling Mr Chauvin a “white thug”?
I searched and I LOL'd.

Post 1,152 of this thread.

Mr. Noor is black and his victim was white. Mr. Chauvin is white and his victim was black. The two crimes are not similiar nor are the convictions, yet here you are playing the race (and religion) card because you feel some white thug of a cop got a raw deal in killing a black man compared to a black cop in the killing of a white woman. Your post would be approved by any KKK member.

I searched and I LOL'd.

Post 1,152 of this thread.

Mr. Noor is black and his victim was white. Mr. Chauvin is white and his victim was black. The two crimes are not similiar nor are the convictions, yet here you are playing the race (and religion) card because you feel some white thug of a cop got a raw deal in killing a black man compared to a black cop in the killing of a white woman. Your post would be approved by any KKK member.
Good for you. Of course you missed the context, but technically, you got me.

Good for you. Of course you missed the context, but technically, you got me.
The context was the importance of mentioning race when the cop is white, but it's racist to mention it when they're black.

Go back and look, if you care. That's what happened.
Tom

IRON COUNTY, Mo. — The Iron County Sheriff and two deputies have been charged with multiple crimes including street gang activities, misusing 911, stalking, making a false report, looking up criminal records under false pretense and attempted kidnapping.
According to the charging documents, they were helping Rick Gaston, an Iron County resident, with a scheme to kidnap Gaston's children from their mother after a domestic dispute.
The Missouri Highway Patrol conducted the investigation, according to court documents.
According to charging documents, the charges stem from a domestic incident between Gaston and the mother of his child on Feb. 8. According to documents, he was "physically aggressive" with the woman.
Court documents allege that between February 10 and 11, Burkett, Gaston, Bresnahan and Cozad tried to help Gaston kidnap his daughter following a domestic incident involving Gaston and the mother of that child.
The men made a fake request for the detention and arrest of the mother of the child to the Washington County 911 dispatch center to help facilitate the kidnapping of the child, according to the documents.
The men are also accused of putting a fake “stop and hold” instruction on the child’s mother’s record, so if any police officer stopped her, she would be detained. The men are also accused of getting the mother and daughter’s real-time location by fraudulently obtaining a ping from their cellphones. Gaston then used that information to go to a location in Jefferson County where they were seeking “refuge” from him, according to the documents.

Now, if cops were halfway decent people, were at all secure in themselves, or had a sense of humor, they’d see the funny in this, and move on. They fucked up and it made them look bad. Unfortunately, it seems that all cops are, well… They’re suing him for emotional distress and violation of privacy because he filmed them breaking into his home on a bullshit warrant, and made a music video or two with the footage:

Seven members of the Adams County Sheriff’s Office who raided Joseph Foreman’s home last year are now suing him claiming, among other things, that he invaded their privacy.
Four deputies, two sergeants and a detective are claiming Foreman (a.k.a. “Afroman”) took footage of their faces obtained during the raid and used it in music videos and social media posts without their consent, a misdemeanor violation under Ohio Revised Code.
They’re also suing on civil grounds, saying Foreman’s use of their faces (i.e. personas) in the videos and social media posts resulted in their “emotional distress, embarrassment, ridicule, loss of reputation and humiliation.”
The plaintiffs say they’re entitled to all of Foreman’s profits from his use of their personas. That includes, according to the complaint, proceeds from the songs, music videos and live event tickets as well as the promotion of Foreman’s “Afroman” brand, under which he sells beer, marijuana, t-shirts and other merchandise.
Oh yeah, that’s right – they broke into his home, traumatized his kids, broke the home itself, and stole money from him, knowing that there’s basically no way for them to be held accountable for damage or rights violations, but they are the victims here. I’m willing to bet that this lawsuit is both amplifying their humiliation far, far beyond what it otherwise would have been, and it’s probably also increasing Afroman’s profits from the whole affair. Maybe this whole thing would have gone better for them if they’d apologized and offered to help him repair his door.

I guess he figured he could move to the boonies and get a decent spread for cheap and be left alone to putter around between gigs. Close to enough markets and to an airport for him to still Gig. Shit we could sell up down here an by a comparable house on a fair nice piece of land and have a lot of money left over and we don't live in one of the super expensive metro areas. But he underestimated the headache of living in a county in Appalachia that is 0.18% black according to the last census. Adams county has been very slightly Republican leaning in most elections with labor favoring Democrats and management favoring Republicans. But Adams county went 75% to Trump in 2016 snf 81% in 2020. One can only speculate about what changed in Republican politics for that huge gain.

Oh yeah, that’s right – they broke into his home, traumatized his kids, broke the home itself, and stole money from him, knowing that there’s basically no way for them to be held accountable for damage or rights violations,
Do you have any better source for those claims than some rando on "Freethought[sic]blogs"? Like a legitimate news source?
but they are the victims here.
If this rapper used their likeness without their permission for monetary gain, then, yes, I would say they were.
Even if they did wrong during the raid (not established as fact, claims by some blogger notwithstanding), two wrongs do not make a right.

But he underestimated the headache of living in a county in Appalachia that is 0.18% black according to the last census.
Is Adams County, OH considered Appalachia? The elevation of the county seat (West Union) is ~900 ft. That's about the same as Atlanta.

Adams county has been very slightly Republican leaning in most elections with labor favoring Democrats and management favoring Republicans. But Adams county went 75% to Trump in 2016 snf 81% in 2020. One can only speculate about what changed in Republican politics for that huge gain.
More management types moved in?
I kid. Obviously working class people got disillusioned with Democrats. While Trump was not the answer, I can understand their frustration with Dems and their dismissive attitude toward working class whites, esp. those in rural areas.

The Fairfax County, Virginia, police officer who shot and killed Timothy Johnson during an alleged shoplifting incident last month was fired, the police chief said Thursday as bodycam video showing the fatal encounter was released.
Johnson should not have been stealing sunglasses. He should not have ran. If he actually reached, he should not have done that. The footage is not clear, because it was dark. When it's dark, that increases the danger of misidentification, like what most likely happened in this case.

From what is known in this case, that one cop should not have been fired, and the cops should not face charges.
Unfortunately, no matter what the investigation concludes, in today's climate it is a foregone conclusion that his family will be made millionaires on taxpayer dime. These days, crime pays. :banghead:

Note that Fairfax County is heavily Democratic (Biden got 70%, Hillary 64%).

Back
Top Bottom