• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Miami-Dade police officer hitting woman at MIA, video shows | Miami Herald

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtWuMmAOk0g[/YOUTUBE]

She was being very obnoxious, really asking for it, but still that guy needs to find another line of work.

Not quite the overreaction it looks like--she hit him first.

That's what you saw? You have more problems with assessing objective reality than I could have imagined.

She. literally. did. not. hit. him. first.

Wtf is even wrong with you? Seriously. What is it? Not a rhetorical question. What is literally wrong with you? Do you know? Have you ever for example been diagnosed with anything that might be causing this sort of thing to happen?

Last edited:
Miami-Dade police officer hitting woman at MIA, video shows | Miami Herald

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtWuMmAOk0g[/YOUTUBE]

She was being very obnoxious, really asking for it, but still that guy needs to find another line of work.

Not quite the overreaction it looks like--she hit him first.

That's what you saw? You have more problems with assessing objective reality than I could have imagined.

Wtf is even wrong with you? Seriously. What is it? Not a rhetorical question. What is literally wrong with you? Do you know? Have you ever for example been diagnosed with anything that might be causing this sort of thing to happen?

"Hit" does not require the body part used to be the hands. It's her torso against his--assault and battery.

"Hit" does not require the body part used to be the hands. It's her torso against his--assault and battery.
If you think that justifies or excuses that officer's reaction, I think ruby sparks' questions are relevant. If you do not think it justifies or excuses that officer's reaction, then why in the world would you bring up such a ridiculous point?

Even this is delusional. She didn't touch him with her torso either. He moved his arm into contact with her chest while he was winding up for his assault on her.

What IS wrong with you LP?

That’s just incorrect. I’ve watched the video over and over, and you’re just factually wrong. She did not hit him in any way, shape or form. No wonder you have so much trouble working out what actually constitutes objective justification for violent police responses in more complicated or serious incidents, if you can’t even get this one right.

This goes beyond a natural inclination to justify police actions in ambiguous situations and straight into not being able to see or objectively assess what is literally in front of you.

She. Did. Not. Hit. Him.

She provoked him and was abusive in other ways, yes. One could even say she physically intimidated him. But she didn’t hit him. Please don’t try to say that again. It’s just wrong, and possibly not just factually wrong but morally wrong, as in victim blaming and excusing physical violence, particularly by men against women, which is a very serious issue indeed. As such, it makes me quite angry that you would try to claim something in this case which is clearly not true or accurate.

Last edited:

Even this is delusional. She didn't touch him with her torso either. He moved his arm into contact with her chest while he was winding up for his assault on her.

What IS wrong with you LP?

Quick poll - who thinks that this encounter with a woman who spoke back to him with her hands down by her sides is the final breaking point for this trained police officer, resulting in the first time he has ever punched a woman in the face?

Remember when Loren and Derec argued that Police know what tasers can do because during training they are tested with all sorts of situations to prepare them for what the worst feels like so they can think clearly under pressure? Remember? Oh, those were good times. Lies, I guess, but good times.

Quick poll - who thinks that this encounter with a woman who spoke back to him with her hands down by her sides is the final breaking point for this trained police officer, resulting in the first time he has ever punched a woman in the face?

No point in speculating, imo. Though I agree with you that it's possible it wasn't his first time, and if any sort of case is taken against him, it might be looked into. I would not presume anything though. One might equally suppose that if he was a wife beater he'd have been smarter and not done it openly in this case.

Also, she did, before she went up to him, point at him in an intimidating way, and when she did go right up to him, it was very very close, invading his personal space, and she was taunting him very strongly (basically egging him on) and she said something about his race.

Clearly (a) as the first person to hit, he was out of line and imo should not only be sacked but face charges for assault. That he was a presumably trained police officer just makes it a bit worse, because he might be expected to not respond to intimidation the way he did.

Apologies. I accidentally edited this post instead of replying to it

Ruby Sparks

Restoring most of original post from subsequent quoted material

Rhea

Loren in the original of this post said:
It does not excuse his actions but it shows they're not as unreasonable as was presented. This isn't a case of a cop responding to words with fists. It's a case of a cop responding to force with force--which is what they're trained to do.

I do feel he used more force than needed in the situation, though--taking her down and cuffing her would have been enough.

I wouldn't expect any cop to simply ignore it. Striking a cop will almost always end badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Cops are bastards. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.
Probably because it’s not actually true.

Of course it's true, Ruby. You act like these actions are exceptions, or that they are aberrations that are dealt with. They aren't. They are common, and they happen because all police protect this sort of behavior. The police in the United States are essentially a gang, a gang with the authority of the law. But they act like a gang nonetheless. You are not a police force if there exists a "blue wall of silence". Why defend the cops?

It does not excuse his actions but it shows they're not as unreasonable as was presented. This isn't a case of a cop responding to words with fists. It's a case of a cop responding to force with force--which is what they're trained to do.

You think cops are trained to escalate? To respond to crowding with punches?
That is reprehensible behavior and that you make excuses for it and provide him cover is revolting.

These are rhetorical questions, of course, because you have demonstrated in discussion after discussion after dicussion that you DO think that not only are they justified in exponential escalation, that they should be trained to make that their reaction and that the people who vow to Serve and Protect have your approval to do so.

It’s a simultaneously childish and monstrous response; “you hit me, I’ll hit you 10 times harder.” Is a bullies’ maxim to intimidate and destroy without any effort to either serve or to protect.

It is deplorable.

I do feel he used more force than needed in the situation, though--taking her down and cuffing her would have been enough.
“Taking her down,” huh? How wonderfully manly of you.
And what a horrible, violent world you build.

I repeat - if this cop has a wife, someone should check on her because there is no way on this earth that what we saw was his first punch ever.
And frankly, anyone who finds that kind of behavior justified - I ask that we check on their wife, as well.

It is monstrous and inexcusable to either do that or to supprt it as something citizens should expect.

I wouldn't expect any cop to simply ignore it. Striking a cop will almost always end badly.

She did not strike him, but here you are escalating “it will almost always end badly”

Why.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD IT?

Why on earth would we want to promote a violent society where cops are trained to escalate and “make it end badly?” Why would we feel safe around anyone who cheers that on? Who makes excuses for that violence, who promotes it and justofoes it and glorifies it?

If you think that justifies or excuses that officer's reaction, I think ruby sparks' questions are relevant. If you do not think it justifies or excuses that officer's reaction, then why in the world would you bring up such a ridiculous point?

It does not excuse his actions but it shows they're not as unreasonable as was presented. ....
The officer’s response was unwarranted, unreaonable and unprofessional.

I am with the other posters on this - there is something wrong with anyone thinks this woman’s ”force” was a “strike”. She did not strike anyone in any meaningful sense of the word "strike". It is fucking delusional to claim otherwise.

It borders on sociopathy to claim the woman's actions make the officer's criminal assault less "unreasonable".

Last edited:
Striking a cop will almost always end badly.

Except that she didn’t hit him. That’s a false and offensive statement that needs to be retracted.

I agree that it would be appropriate to rettract that statement as an obvious flase claim about what is clear in the video. She never ever struck him.

Loren - are you going to try to stand by your statement that she struck him? Or admit that you were untruthfully escalating the situation so that you could then claim the cop was justofied in punching the passenger in the face without warning?

I can go through my negative experinces when I was young in the 70s. Lomg hair drew attention.

From the 80s on it has been positive. Keep my mouth shut and do what the cop says.

In 1970 I was changing duty station from Jacksonville Fl to Yorktown Va. I was a passenger in a Cutlass powersport.

We were cruising on secondary roads in Georgia. We got pulled over by a small car with the flashing lights hidden behind the grill. A speed trap.

The driver got out. I started to get out and the cop said 'get back in that car boy' half drawing his gun.

He took our money as bail bond leaving enough for gas knowing we would not show up for court the next day.

I can go through my negative experinces when I was young in the 70s. Lomg hair drew attention.

From the 80s on it has been positive. Keep my mouth shut and do what the cop says.

In 1970 I was changing duty station from Jacksonville Fl to Yorktown Va. I was a passenger in a Cutlass powersport.

We were cruising on secondary roads in Georgia. We got pulled over by a small car with the flashing lights hidden behind the grill. A speed trap.

The driver got out. I started to get out and the cop said 'get back in that car boy' half drawing his gun.

He took our money as bail bond leaving enough for gas knowing we would not show up for court the next day.
Is that Police misconduct, or more just under-regulated free market capitalism? Or a bit of both. :D

Is that Police misconduct, or more just under-regulated free market capitalism? Or a bit of both. :D

In the day speed traps were common. Out of state cars were stopped allegedly for speeding. Don't know about now, the AAA card used to guarantee up to $10k bail so people would not be held hostage in jail.

You think cops are trained to escalate? To respond to crowding with punches?
That is reprehensible behavior and that you make excuses for it and provide him cover is revolting.

This isn't simply a matter of being in his personal space, but deliberately bumping into him. That's assault and battery.

And what I'm saying is that cops are trained to respond with a level of force a bit above what is being used against them. You could call that escalating.

It’s a simultaneously childish and monstrous response; “you hit me, I’ll hit you 10 times harder.” Is a bullies’ maxim to intimidate and destroy without any effort to either serve or to protect.

Childish? It's a pretty good deterrent if it's actual and not just words.

Striking a cop will almost always end badly.

Except that she didn’t hit him. That’s a false and offensive statement that needs to be retracted.

I agree that it would be appropriate to rettract that statement as an obvious flase claim about what is clear in the video. She never ever struck him.

Loren - are you going to try to stand by your statement that she struck him? Or admit that you were untruthfully escalating the situation so that you could then claim the cop was justofied in punching the passenger in the face without warning?

She was right up close to him and then moves forward at :18, deliberately causing a collision. He pulls back and starts punching.

Back
Top Bottom