• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Video of the wheelchair guy shooting from two angles. Eight shots, a pause, and then a ninth, just for good measure.

Wow. As if an officer can't figure out how to disarm someone in a fucking wheelchair, with help?

My first immediate reaction is that someone needed to walk up to those officers and do exactly as they had done.

I accept this reaction is 'too much'. But holy shit. Anyone who watches that and does not decide "these cops need to be ended in some way" needs to be treated exactly like someone who says "trump Won the Election".

It's like the second officer just wanted to make sure one of the bullets in the corpse was his.

So they were supposed to just sit back and let the guy get a hostage? The pursued while there was no danger, when the guy went towards potential hostages they fired. It's not like they can just go up to him and take the knife away, that's a good way to get yourself stabbed.

You're focusing on the wheelchair and ignoring the knife.

No. They were supposed to get to the front, and disarm him. They have stout sticks, and their power comes with the expectation that they also assume risk. That's why we give them armor, you know. They could as easily have grasped the chair from behind and dumped him out of it as well. The fact that neither of these people who were given guns of the public trust thought to do any of the MANY things, risky or no to immediate self, that would have prevented their use is damning.

It's kind of hair-pull level to dump a guy out of a chair, but it's absolutely nonlethal.

So you expect them to teleport? Hint: Those power chairs tend to be able to move pretty quickly.

What is a safe power wheelchair speed? Most power wheelchairs average a top speed of approximately 5 mph. However, some power chair models can achieve maximum speeds of 10 mph and more.

Video of the wheelchair guy shooting from two angles. Eight shots, a pause, and then a ninth, just for good measure.

Wow. As if an officer can't figure out how to disarm someone in a fucking wheelchair, with help?

My first immediate reaction is that someone needed to walk up to those officers and do exactly as they had done.

I accept this reaction is 'too much'. But holy shit. Anyone who watches that and does not decide "these cops need to be ended in some way" needs to be treated exactly like someone who says "trump Won the Election".

It's like the second officer just wanted to make sure one of the bullets in the corpse was his.

So they were supposed to just sit back and let the guy get a hostage? The pursued while there was no danger, when the guy went towards potential hostages they fired. It's not like they can just go up to him and take the knife away, that's a good way to get yourself stabbed.

No. They were supposed to get to the front, and disarm him. They have stout sticks, and their power comes with the expectation that they also assume risk. That's why we give them armor, you know. They could as easily have grasped the chair from behind and dumped him out of it as well. The fact that neither of these people who were given guns of the public trust thought to do any of the MANY things, risky or no to immediate self, that would have prevented their use is damning.

It's kind of hair-pull level to dump a guy out of a chair, but it's absolutely nonlethal.

So you expect them to teleport? Hint: Those power chairs tend to be able to move pretty quickly.

Ooh, a power chair that moves "quickly"....

You know what else can move quickly? A running human.

Here's a hint for you: I can run down a person on a bike most days, given a full sprint. If some schlub a whole DECADE out of any kind of physical occupation can be running down cyclists and city busses, I can absolutely expect a couple cops to run down and dump a guy out of a chair.

Try again.

So now we need to kill people in wheelchairs who are accused of shoplifting, are holding a knife, and refusing to comply with a LEO's orders because they may take hostages? While they are rolling away from the cops? Wow! Just wow! What next? He could have a nuclear weapon hidden under the seat? It is hypothetically possible, since we are talking about hypotheticals here. Do you not understand how ridiculous this sounds?

So now we need to kill people in wheelchairs who are accused of shoplifting, are holding a knife, and refusing to comply with a LEO's orders because they may take hostages? While they are rolling away from the cops? Wow! Just wow! What next? He could have a nuclear weapon hidden under the seat? It is hypothetically possible, since we are talking about hypotheticals here. Do you not understand how ridiculous this sounds?

Not to mention the difficulty of actually accomplishing those things in a chair. Or specifically in that chair.

It's not that he was holding a knife. It was that he had already threatened people with the knife.

Sorry, but once you have threatened people with a weapon the police aren't going to let you get around more people. The fact that he was in a wheelchair doesn't change that. Their decision to shoot at that point does not surprise me.

Does not surprise you doesn't mean you're ok with it right Loren? Please confirm that you're not ok with this.

Thanks

It's not that he was holding a knife. It was that he had already threatened people with the knife.

Sorry, but once you have threatened people with a weapon the police aren't going to let you get around more people. The fact that he was in a wheelchair doesn't change that. Their decision to shoot at that point does not surprise me.
His own PD condemned the action as a violation of policy on excessive force and "directly contradicts multiple aspects of our use of force training."

So you're not surprised that a police officer violated policy and shot a man in a wheelchair from the back? (Because that I would agree with. I'm never surprised by police brutality and violation of numerous aspects of dept policy,.) Or you think it was reasonable for the police to respond to this situation due to what the now dead man was doing?

He had shown the clerk a knife when asked for a receipt. He had not attempted to, or even threatened to hurt anyone. Please don't exaggerate the facts.

His employer, the police department, doesn't agree with you. They say that he violated department policy and that his use of force was excessive. Perhaps you should do some research before you pontificate on police policy.

This officer shot a man in a wheelchair nine times in the back as the man was trying to roll away from him. The man was not an immediate threat to anyone. And you feel that this homicide was reasonable?

Lets see what other options there were

1. Get in front of the cart. Those things are pretty slow, and it would be easy to obstruct its path. Not sure how much force they exert, but I don't think it would be that hard to stop. Keep your foot low on it and the guy won't be able to reach you without getting out of the seat.
2. Taser. They are not always a safe option, potentially causing heart attack in some people, but a better option than a gun.
3. Pepper spray
4. Baton, use to disarm or subdue the guy. Good advantage of reach.
5. There were at least two cops there, one can distract while the other moves in to take the guy down.
6. Knock the cart over or push him off of it. Won't be as big a threat prone on the ground.
7. Stand where he can see you with the gun drawn and order him to stop. Seeing the cop is serious might make him reconsider his actions.
8. Shoot once to disable, like in the arm or leg, maybe shoulder. because come on!! At that range if you miss then you have no business holding a gun
9. Shoot once or even twice to take them down. Still might kill him, but he would have a better chance than someone emptying their clip into him at point blank range.

I just can't believe my own eyes right now. Do we seriously need to debate the top speed of a wheelchair? We have two officers on the scene, all they needed to do was dump the wheelchair then arrest him. Even a roundhouse kick to the chest would have been more reasonable than shooting him 9 damn times. The man clearly wasn't athletic and had limited directions to attack with a knife. Also, where were their tasers?

I just can't believe my own eyes right now. Do we seriously need to debate the top speed of a wheelchair? We have two officers on the scene, all they needed to do was dump the wheelchair then arrest him. Even a roundhouse kick to the chest would have been more reasonable than shooting him 9 damn times. The man clearly wasn't athletic and had limited directions to attack with a knife. Also, where were their tasers?
Entirely my point. Two people of hale body and (I guess not-so-hale) spirit decided to, instead of risking a physical confrontation with a violent, but easily deposed opponent, chose the utterly selfish route of just killing them.

He may have turned around and tried to run the officer over with his wheelchair (deadly weapon). He may have been going into Lowe's to attack people and take hostages. Or, he may have had a nuclear weapon hidden under his chair that he was going to detonate once he reached the store. Don't you understand why it was critical that he be killed before he got to do any of those things? The officer showed a great deal of restraint - a standard Glock 19 magazine can hold 15 rounds (and one in the chamber) and the officer only used 9. That proves he wasn't trying to kill him.

SMH. Loren, I don't mean to pick on you but your comments about this incident really sunk my ship yo. I was honestly working on liking you.

He may have turned around and tried to run the officer over with his wheelchair (deadly weapon). He may have been going into Lowe's to attack people and take hostages. Or, he may have had a nuclear weapon hidden under his chair that he was going to detonate once he reached the store. Don't you understand why it was critical that he be killed before he got to do any of those things? The officer showed a great deal of restraint - a standard Glock 19 magazine can hold 15 rounds (and one in the chamber) and the officer only used 9. That proves he wasn't trying to kill him.
Or he might have been a werewolf or similar type of monster! (See below)
wow, just remembered this old video

:ROFLMAO:

I didn't realise that "an off duty cop who empties half a fucking magazine into a cripple is complete bullshit", is such a controversial take. Incidentally Loren, there is snuff footage of the incident; the 60 year old in question was never going to cut it in the Paralympics. Also, the other cop who was on duty never felt any compulsion to quote ezekiel 25 17 and cut loose. How strange.

Also, the other cop who was on duty never felt any compulsion to quote ezekiel 25 17 and cut loose. How strange.

That's because someone jumped the gun (literally) and beat her to it. There was no reason for her to be on scene acting like a mighty morphing power ranger with her service weapon drawn.

Hundreds of cases in jeopardy after racist texting scandal rocks California police department

The texts run the gamut from a photo of Black men who had been lynched with the caption, "Hanging with the homies" to another image asking what someone should do if their girlfriend had an affair with a Black man. The officer's reply: break “a tail light on his car so the police will stop him and shoot him.” Additional texts showed how to tie a noose and asked the question, "Which one doesn't belong?" with an image of a candy cane, a Christmas tree ornament, a star topper, and an "enslaved person." The response by one officer: "You don't hang the star."

"They exchanged texts about assaulting members of the LGBTQ community, using violence against suspects and lying during an investigation into a police shooting," according to district attorney’s office records reviewed by The Times.

... At least 85 criminal cases involving the officers have been dismissed... Alarmingly, the officers were listed as potential witnesses in nearly 1,400 cases in the last decade.

A school resource officer at Proviso West High School in Hillside was arrested for assault Friday after video showed him throwing a student against a whiteboard and restraining him to the ground, according to school district officials.

The incident transpired when the officer, who has yet to be identified, entered a classroom and confronted a student, according to a news release from Supt. James Henderson of Proviso Township High Schools District 209.

The officer "made demands of the student," proceeded to grab him, throw the student against a whiteboard and then restrain him.

Henderson called the officer's actions "an unprompted assault on a child who was not a threat to himself or anyone else.

Sheriff accused of holding gun to head of woman who took church youth group to tape ‘thank you’ message to his door

According to the 10-page affidavit, after the sheriff heard his screen door open, he grabbed his gun and went outside, wearing long johns and threatening the group.
At first, the children thought Rowland was joking but quickly realized he was serious.

The sheriff allegedly approached their car and pointed the gun at two girls in the front seat. He then turned to Cox, pointed the gun at her, grabbed her by the hair, and said “Get the f--- out of the car,” according to the affidavit.

One of the girls in the car told investigators that she saw the sheriff hold the gun close to Cox’s head and say “I will f--g shoot you.”

His excuse was he'd had one drink and anyway:

“I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people,” he added.

Back
Top Bottom