• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

When I jointed the military I was surprised at how many of my fellow soldiers were black.

I wondered why they would fight for a country that treated them so badly by both the police and otherwise.
It's an easy way for the less fortunate to get a job and skills. I suspect that's the same for most of the recruits regardless of ethnicity.
Economic and educational opportunity are the top motivations for military service. Just another reason the wealthy ruling class want poor people to stay poor and with no way to pay for education. The industrial military complex relies on those things being scarce except through an arrangement where they might die for it.
My brother joined the National Guard years after he got out of the Navy. He did so to help pay for his schooling. He ended up doing three tours in the Middle East. He, however, stayed in the guard until retirement as a Master Sargeant and a chest full of lettuce.

When I jointed the military I was surprised at how many of my fellow soldiers were black.

I wondered why they would fight for a country that treated them so badly by both the police and otherwise.
It's an easy way for the less fortunate to get a job and skills. I suspect that's the same for most of the recruits regardless of ethnicity.
Economic and educational opportunity are the top motivations for military service. Just another reason the wealthy ruling class want poor people to stay poor and with no way to pay for education. The industrial military complex relies on those things being scarce except through an arrangement where they might die for it.
My brother joined the National Guard years after he got out of the Navy. He did so to help pay for his schooling. He ended up doing three tours in the Middle East. He, however, stayed in the guard until retirement as a Master Sargeant and a chest full of lettuce.
Google says chest lettuce is the hair that sticks out from the top of a hairy man's shirt. lol

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Three police officers have been charged with manslaughter and reckless endangerment after firing their weapons in the direction of a crowd of people exiting a high school football game outside of Philadelphia, killing an 8-year-old girl and injuring three people.

A grand jury recommended the charges against the three Sharon Hill Police officers, Devon Smith, Sean Dolan and Brian Devaney, in the August 27 shooting that killed Fanta Bility. Murder charges previously filed against two Black teenagers for firing the gunshots that prompted the officers to shoot were also dropped Tuesday, according to a news release from the Delaware County District Attorney’s office.

Each officer was charged with 10 counts of reckless endangerment and one count of manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter, according the to the charging documents.

According to court records all three men had their preliminary arraignments Tuesday morning and each was released on unsecured $500,000 bail. A message left with law firm McMonagle, Perri, McHugh, Mischak & Davis, which is representing all three men, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Three Sharon Hill officers have been charged in the fatal shooting of Fanta Bility​

Prosecutors have also pledged to withdraw murder charges against two teenagers in connection with Fanta's death.

At the same time, the prosecutor’s office is withdrawing murder charges against two teenagers it had accused of contributing to the death by engaging in a gunfight 140 feet away that drew the officers’ fire. Those charges, filed late last year, had outraged some in the community who said it took the focus away from the police officers’ culpability in Fanta’s death.

The girl was shot Aug. 27 as she and her family were leaving the game at Academy Park High School. The officers had been monitoring the crowd as it dispersed, heard gunfire about a block away, and then turned to see a vehicle heading toward them.

Mistakenly believing the car was involved in that shooting, the officers opened fire, striking the car multiple times, investigators said. Bullets flew past the vehicle, hitting four people, including Fanta, who died at the scene in her mother’s arms.

Just my opinion but I believe both the teenagers and the police are jointly legally responsible and should all be charged.
So if you hear gunfire a block away and just start randomly firing your weapon at innocent individuals the other person firing the gun should be charged with your crimes? That's ridiculous.

Just my opinion but I believe both the teenagers and the police are jointly legally responsible and should all be charged.
So if you hear gunfire a block away and just start randomly firing your weapon at innocent individuals the other person firing the gun should be charged with your crimes? That's ridiculous.
"should be charged with your crimes?"

No, they should be charged with their crimes.

Each individual is responsible for any crime they committed.

"should be charged with your crimes?"

No, they should be charged with their crimes.

Each individual is responsible for any crime they committed.
And THEIR crimes had nothing to do with the death of a little girl.

Their crimes were reckless endangerment and a number of weapons charges, best viewed, handled, and discussed independently of ANY discussion of "who murdered this little girl in an irresponsible use of firearms", which is 100% the cops.

No--the teens arrested had nothing to do with the girl's death. Felony murder requires that the death be a reasonably foreseeable result of their felonious behavior, this one wasn't.

No--the teens arrested had nothing to do with the girl's death. Felony murder requires that the death be a reasonably foreseeable result of their felonious behavior, this one wasn't.
"reasonably foreseeable" is a fact question for the jury and there is no need for the felony murder charge. If the teenagers had not fired their weapons would this fatality have occurred?

I am sure that firing a weapon in the city is probably a felony by it self.

That is sufficient.

I didn't join the military but I am one of the America-loving black people. To me, America looks awesome on paper. She's page three of Jet Magazine, but when you meet her supporters not all of them are as attractive.
That is a disturbingly apt description.

"reasonably foreseeable" is a fact question for the jury and there is no need for the felony murder charge. If the teenagers had not fired their weapons would this fatality have occurred?

That is sufficient.
Quite possibly. Maybe someone might have lit off some fire crackers or m80's or lit off some impact "snaps" in a plastic bottle.

The death happened because two officers reacted wildly inappropriately to a situation. It didn't need to be exactly that situation they were reacting wildly inappropriately to; there are many such situations that could provoke such reckless and wanton response from such reckless and wanton people

That is sufficient.

The cops responding to your firing a weapon by killing a completely uninvolved person is not a reasonably foreseeable result to me. (Now, if they had shot at you, missed and hit a bystander that would be another matter.)

The cops responding to your firing a weapon by killing a completely uninvolved person is not a reasonably foreseeable result to me. (Now, if they had shot at you, missed and hit a bystander that would be another matter.)

It is a reasonably foreseeable result if you're aware that cops are as good at hitting their target as stormtroopers.

It is a reasonably foreseeable result if you're aware that cops are as good at hitting their target as stormtroopers.

No--this isn't a case of bad aim, but completely insane target selection.

insane target selection, stormtroopers
tomato, tomahto

The Urban Daily reported Henderson police pulled over 23-year-old Shane Lee Brown on a weapons charge associated with a felon who was initially charged in 1994. This previous felon, who also shared the name Shane Brown, was not only convicted three years before Shane was born but was also an entire white man.
Brown gave the police his social security card in place of his license, according to Urban Daily. Yet, he was still taken in as if his form of identification (in addition to his skin color) wasn’t enough to prove his innocence. The warrant he was served was issued for a “49-year-old white man with a bushy white beard and blue eyes.” … So, Santa Claus?

From the Urban Daily:

Brown was sent to Henderson Detention Center, where he pleaded with officers that he was not the Shane Brown in the bench warrant, but was ignored.
Two days later, Las Vegas police transferred Brown to Clark County Detention Center and recorded his correct date of birth, race, and height. Officers also issued Brown a different identification number that was assigned to the older Shane Brown. He was then orderer by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to appear in front of a judge for the older Brown’s bench warrant but under the younger Brown’s race and date of birth.
The 23-year-old would spend four days in Clark County Detention Center before finally appearing in front of a district judge who released him after the two men’s booking photos were shown side by side in court.
Brown would spend a total of six days in jail.
Upon his release, Brown sued the Metropolitan Police Department, city of Henderson and the Henderson Police Department, according to the Urban Daily. The suit included compensatory damages under federal law of half a million dollars and $50,000 under state law.
Here's a picture of the two side by side. I can barely tell the difference.
mugshot-diptych-1_wide-493d7be7367d1494d1671ae4f94624216ae0f389-s800-c85.webp

A federal lawsuit was filed Monday against a former Lake Worth police officer, accusing him of using excessive force by “running over” an unarmed man with a sport utility vehicle during a foot pursuit in November 2020. Dustin Bates of Denton County suffered three fractured ribs, a broken right leg and a fractured spine in the incident, video of which was captured on the officer’s dash camera, according to the suit. Bates was later charged with evading arrest and drug possession, according to Tarrant County criminal court records. The charges against Bates were dismissed in August at prosecutorial discretion.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/article257662843.html#storylink=cpy

Back
Top Bottom