• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Nine police officers in Tennessee opened fire on a 37-year-old man on Thursday afternoon after a confrontation on an interstate highway in Nashville. The man, who police said had been sitting on a guardrail on the busy roadway, died.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation identified the victim late Thursday as Landon Eastep. Nashville court records indicate Eastep had an outstanding charge of domestic assault with bodily injury. His next court date was scheduled for April.

In a video filmed by a bystander and posted to Twitter by news outlet WSMV, Eastep can be seen standing still in the right lane of the highway as almost a dozen Tennessee Highway Patrolmen and Nashville Police look on, guns drawn. The entire highway is blocked on both sides. Eastep raises his arms towards police, and the video pauses. Multiple gunshots can then be heard.

The driver of an armored car carrying $712,000 in cash from licensed marijuana dispensaries was heading into Barstow on a Mojave Desert freeway in November when San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies pulled him over. They interrogated him, seized the money and turned it over to the FBI.

A few weeks later, deputies stopped the same driver in Rancho Cucamonga, took an additional $350,000 belonging to legal pot stores and gave that cash to the FBI too.

Now, the FBI is trying to confiscate the nearly $1.1-million bounty, which it might share with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department. The FBI says the money is tied to federal drug or money-laundering crimes, but has specified no unlawful conduct and charged no one with a crime.

The driver of an armored car carrying $712,000 in cash from licensed marijuana dispensaries was heading into Barstow on a Mojave Desert freeway in November when San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies pulled him over. They interrogated him, seized the money and turned it over to the FBI.

A few weeks later, deputies stopped the same driver in Rancho Cucamonga, took an additional $350,000 belonging to legal pot stores and gave that cash to the FBI too.

Now, the FBI is trying to confiscate the nearly $1.1-million bounty, which it might share with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department. The FBI says the money is tied to federal drug or money-laundering crimes, but has specified no unlawful conduct and charged no one with a crime.
Yup, the standard tactic of armed robbery of the legal marijuana businesses.

The Urban Daily reported Henderson police pulled over 23-year-old Shane Lee Brown on a weapons charge associated with a felon who was initially charged in 1994. This previous felon, who also shared the name Shane Brown, was not only convicted three years before Shane was born but was also an entire white man.
Brown gave the police his social security card in place of his license, according to Urban Daily. Yet, he was still taken in as if his form of identification (in addition to his skin color) wasn’t enough to prove his innocence. The warrant he was served was issued for a “49-year-old white man with a bushy white beard and blue eyes.” … So, Santa Claus?

From the Urban Daily:

Brown was sent to Henderson Detention Center, where he pleaded with officers that he was not the Shane Brown in the bench warrant, but was ignored.
Two days later, Las Vegas police transferred Brown to Clark County Detention Center and recorded his correct date of birth, race, and height. Officers also issued Brown a different identification number that was assigned to the older Shane Brown. He was then orderer by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to appear in front of a judge for the older Brown’s bench warrant but under the younger Brown’s race and date of birth.
The 23-year-old would spend four days in Clark County Detention Center before finally appearing in front of a district judge who released him after the two men’s booking photos were shown side by side in court.
Brown would spend a total of six days in jail.
Upon his release, Brown sued the Metropolitan Police Department, city of Henderson and the Henderson Police Department, according to the Urban Daily. The suit included compensatory damages under federal law of half a million dollars and $50,000 under state law.
Here's a picture of the two side by side. I can barely tell the difference.
mugshot-diptych-1_wide-493d7be7367d1494d1671ae4f94624216ae0f389-s800-c85.webp

I see no issue here. We black folks are used to fitting the description of a suspect, so adding white people to that list of suspects we look like is progress.

well, police training done by Oath Keepers and other extremists. That is not very surprising

Yet again.
Amir Locke: Body camera video shows Minneapolis officers shooting Black man during no-knock warrant - CNN
n the early morning hours Wednesday, Minneapolis police officers gently placed a key in a city apartment door before bursting through the doorway yelling "Police! Search warrant!"

In the seconds that followed, a Black man named Amir Locke -- apparently asleep and shown to be holding a gun upon awakening -- was shot and killed.

The shooting by an officer on the SWAT team, in a city that came to represent ground zero for the police reform movement, raised questions from Locke's family and others about the city's warrant policy.

In total, the city released 14 seconds of real time video.
Mpls. police wanted 'no knock' warrant; city sets moratorium - StarTribune.com
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey on Friday placed a moratorium on no-knock warrants, following mounting community outrage over the predawn raid that ended in the shooting death of 22-year-old Amir Locke.

"No matter what information comes to light, it won't change the fact that Amir Locke's life was cut short," Frey said in a statement. "To ensure safety of both the public and officers until a new policy is crafted, I'm issuing a moratorium on both the request and execution of such warrants in Minneapolis."
Parents: Amir Locke 'executed'; mayor halts no-knock entries | AP News
The Minneapolis mayor imposed a moratorium on no-knock warrants Friday, two days after a SWAT team entered a downtown apartment and killed Amir Locke, a 22-year-old Black man who his parents said was “executed” after he was startled from a deep sleep and reached for a legal firearm to protect himself.

Mayor Jacob Frey said while the moratorium is in place, he and police leadership will review and revise department policy with the help of two experts who helped shape Breonna’s Law, the ban on no-knock warrants that was imposed in Louisville, Kentucky, following the death of Breonna Taylor in a botched raid at her home in 2020.

“No matter what information comes to light, it won’t change the fact that Amir Locke’s life was cut short,” Frey said in a statement.
Amir Locke: US gun group defends armed man killed by police - BBC News
Bodycam video shows Amir Locke, 22, stirring under a blanket before he is gunned down by a Swat team during a dawn raid on Wednesday.

Mr Locke, who appeared to be holding a pistol but was not the target of the warrant, died within minutes.

The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus called Mr Locke "a law-abiding citizen who was lawfully in possession of a firearm".

The Minnesota National Guard has been activated in case of unrest, the governor said on Friday.

Yet again.
Amir Locke: Body camera video shows Minneapolis officers shooting Black man during no-knock warrant - CNN
n the early morning hours Wednesday, Minneapolis police officers gently placed a key in a city apartment door before bursting through the doorway yelling "Police! Search warrant!"

In the seconds that followed, a Black man named Amir Locke -- apparently asleep and shown to be holding a gun upon awakening -- was shot and killed.

The shooting by an officer on the SWAT team, in a city that came to represent ground zero for the police reform movement, raised questions from Locke's family and others about the city's warrant policy.

In total, the city released 14 seconds of real time video.
Mpls. police wanted 'no knock' warrant; city sets moratorium - StarTribune.com
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey on Friday placed a moratorium on no-knock warrants, following mounting community outrage over the predawn raid that ended in the shooting death of 22-year-old Amir Locke.

"No matter what information comes to light, it won't change the fact that Amir Locke's life was cut short," Frey said in a statement. "To ensure safety of both the public and officers until a new policy is crafted, I'm issuing a moratorium on both the request and execution of such warrants in Minneapolis."
Parents: Amir Locke 'executed'; mayor halts no-knock entries | AP News
The Minneapolis mayor imposed a moratorium on no-knock warrants Friday, two days after a SWAT team entered a downtown apartment and killed Amir Locke, a 22-year-old Black man who his parents said was “executed” after he was startled from a deep sleep and reached for a legal firearm to protect himself.

Mayor Jacob Frey said while the moratorium is in place, he and police leadership will review and revise department policy with the help of two experts who helped shape Breonna’s Law, the ban on no-knock warrants that was imposed in Louisville, Kentucky, following the death of Breonna Taylor in a botched raid at her home in 2020.

“No matter what information comes to light, it won’t change the fact that Amir Locke’s life was cut short,” Frey said in a statement.
Amir Locke: US gun group defends armed man killed by police - BBC News
Bodycam video shows Amir Locke, 22, stirring under a blanket before he is gunned down by a Swat team during a dawn raid on Wednesday.

Mr Locke, who appeared to be holding a pistol but was not the target of the warrant, died within minutes.

The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus called Mr Locke "a law-abiding citizen who was lawfully in possession of a firearm".

The Minnesota National Guard has been activated in case of unrest, the governor said on Friday.
Let's forget, there's nothing that prevents a violent home invader from yelling "Police! Search Warrant!" To get those extra few seconds to get the jump on you and terminate your fight response.

This guy did the exact right thing.

Of course we all said "we should ban this here..." after the last incident and the that not-happened and now there's another dead body in a Minneapolis morgue.

This no knock tactic is insane. The kind of situation that happened here is inevitable.

Slowed down video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's forget, there's nothing that prevents a violent home invader from yelling "Police! Search Warrant!" To get those extra few seconds to get the jump on you and terminate your fight response.

Of course we all said "we should ban this here..." after the last incident and the that not-happened and now there's another dead body in a Minneapolis morgue.

While I very much agree on major restrictions on no-knock I don't have much sympathy for someone who sleeps with a gun in the bed. That's someone who is likely to come up shooting.

Yet again.
Why did he grab a gun? And contrary to some claims, he did point it toward a cop - the video makes clear there was an officer to the right of the couch, and Locke was pointing it to the right (relative to body cam cop).

61fea9392c0000642adf649c.jpeg

V4FCU7HZ4RDBLEXGKOUV35O6TM.jpg

Last edited:
So what is your solution? To just shoot all police serving warrants because they may be fake cops?
O5lZGp6.gif

Had he not grabbed the gun, he'd be alive. Since he grabbed it, he is dead.
Kinda hard to argue that he did the exact right thing here.

Apparently he was not the target of the warrant. Do we know who was and was he there and arrested? And why did Locke have his gun next to him? Did he maybe know his host (friend? relative?) was expecting a police raid over a homicide?

On a positive note, while there has been some vandalism today, the cold temperatures (unlike the summertime riots of 2020) are putting a damper on rioting. Hopefully that holds.

Last edited:

While I very much agree on major restrictions on no-knock I don't have much sympathy for someone who sleeps with a gun in the bed. That's someone who is likely to come up shooting.
Hey man, I slept with a weapon in my bed for a year and change, and did so under orders.

Depending on your situation, taking a weapon to bed with you is just good sense.

It looks like the weapon was on the table or ottoman whatever that is. He was asleep and the kick woke him up, then his first thought was to grab the gun in a WTF is going on moment. It all depends on whether or not him having a weapon was lawful. If he wasn't supposed to have one then the police should come out clean on this one after the investigation. However, if it was a lawful possession this is just another case highlighting the issues with no-knock warrants. Sleeping people need time to catch their bearings, also if you have the wrong intel or the suspect you're looking for is not at the target location but an innocent party is what then? These things need to be taken into consideration. Spartan kicking a couch because you presume that's your sleeping perp just doesn't seem like a safe tactic for anybody.

Let me get this straight. Someone bursts unannounced into your sleeping, you reach for protection and its your fault you get shot?

What kind of bizarro world do we live in?

Millions of Americans sleep with guns next to their beds. People should not be killed for doing something that is legal.

Let me get this straight. Someone bursts unannounced into your sleeping, you reach for protection and its your fault you get shot?

What kind of bizarro world do we live in?
I mean, if I am in a situation, I'm going to reach for the nearest weapon even if it isn't a gun. I would defend myself with my purse if I have to.

The movement would get me shot all the same I expect, assuming I was black.

They shot someone, ultimately, for moving quickly while waking up.

Millions of Americans sleep with guns next to their beds. People should not be killed for doing something that is legal.
Millions of Americans have been trained to do so, under orders, and been expected to do so for over a year of their lives or more.

So what is your solution? To just shoot all police serving warrants because they may be fake cops?
The solution is for police NOT to conduct paramilitary style no-knock warrants on the homes of American civilians. This is not a raid on the fortified home of a drug kingpin or terrorist cell where the police are likely to meet armed resistance. This is a search warrant on the home of civilian. The killing of innocent civilians and/or the police is an easily predicted outcome of such raids.

Had he not grabbed the gun, he'd be alive. Since he grabbed it, he is dead.
Kinda hard to argue that he did the exact right thing here.
He is dead because the police did not give him time to respond, much less comply with their commands. He was asleep, which must have been obvious to the officers. It takes a person several seconds to tens of seconds to wake up from sleep and gain their bearings. When he heard people in his apartment, he instinctively reached for his gun, and was shot by the fucking police before he could even comprehend what was going on. This is manslaughter caused by the callous and reckless actions of the police, and the shooter and his Lt. should be charged as such.

Apparently he was not the target of the warrant. Do we know who was and was he there and arrested? And why did Locke have his gun next to him? Did he maybe know his host (friend? relative?) was expecting a police raid over a homicide?

On a positive note, while there has been some vandalism today, the cold temperatures (unlike the summertime riots of 2020) are putting a damper on rioting. Hopefully that holds.
They invade our homes and kill us in our sleep. Then they act surprised when people riot in the streets. :glare:

O5lZGp6.gif

The police on many occasions have shot civilians because they thought they were criminals/threats so it's already their solution.

In the short-run, ban no-knock warrants and require stricter accountability when the police shoot someone.

In the long-run,
1) adopt rational gun laws,
2) change police training to reduce the "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality that seems to have become ingrained in so many officers,
3) work to establish or re-establish more trust between the police and their communities.

Back
Top Bottom