• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President Biden's Infrastructure Plans

Here is who voted against it that were Dems and those that voted for it that were Republicans.

AOC et al made a statement, and it looks like a very bad one. I don't know if they would have done likewise had the few GOP voters help provide cover. I have no more patience for these sophmores that think they are the faculty.

Also, is there a Hall of Fame for Pelosi to go into? If not, we need to make one.

ETA: I'm not super stoked about all of this that I can't sleep. I was hoping to get a bit more movement of the 67P comet into a darker patch of sky before I pack things in for the night. I don't think I'm going to get it. Also, just noticed that my neighbors have an awesome east view (about 120 to 180 degree) in their backyard! I need to talk to them about me using it with the scope and them doing something about their trillion lumen flood light!

Thanx, JH. The lists:

Democrats against it: Jamaal Bowman of New York, Cori Bush of Missouri, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan

Republicans for it: Don Bacon of Nebraska, Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, Andrew Gabarino of New York, Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio, John Katko of New York, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, Nicole Malliotakis of New York, David McKinley of West Virginia, Tom Reed of New York, Chris Smith of New Jersey, Fred Upton of Michigan, Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey, Don Young of Alaska

Roll Call 369 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684
Nov 05, 2021, 11:24 PM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
Vote Question: On Motion to Concur in the Senate Amendment
INVEST in America Act
Vote Type: Yea-And-Nay

D: Y 215, N 6
R: Y 13, N 200
Total: Y 228, N 206

It's now off to President Joe Biden's desk.

In other votes this night, they agreed to go ahead with consideration of the reconciliation bill.[/url]

Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "I voted no tonight on the BIF because I refuse to pit community member against community member.
My full statement: (link)" / Twitter

noting
Rep. Pressley’s Statement on Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill | Representative Ayanna Pressley
“For months, my progressive colleagues and I have been calling for bold investments to address both the human and physical infrastructure needs of our country. We have been clear from the onset that any vote on the narrow roads and bridges bill must happen in tandem with a vote on the Build Back Better Act that invests in our care economy, housing, paid leave, combating climate change, and more.

“We had an agreement that these two bills would move together—not that we would vote for one in exchange for a potential vote on the other if certain conditions were met. Unfortunately, that agreement was not honored. As such, I voted no tonight on the narrow roads and bridges bill.

“I refuse to choose between the livelihoods of the union workers who build our highways and bridges, and the childcare and healthcare workers who care for our children, elderly, and disabled loved ones. I refuse to choose between our crumbling roads, bridges public transit system, and our crumbling housing stock. I refuse to pit community member against community member.

“As lawmakers, we have a duty to deliver policies and budgets that have a meaningful and tangible impact on the daily lives of our constituents and leave no community behind. I look forward to continuing the work of passing the President’s full Build Back Better agenda.”

However,
Rep Peter DeFazio on Twitter: "Proud to vote in support of an historic investment in our nation’s infrastructure. I fought for this bill to revitalize our transportation, support the trajectory of our economic recovery, and tackle climate change. I look forward to President Biden signing this bill into law." / Twitter
noting
Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure on Twitter: "“Today, @HouseDemocrats continue to build back better for the American people,” Chair @RepPeterDeFazio said after tonight’s passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act in the House.
Together, we’ll #BuildBackBetter. (link)" / Twitter

noting
Chair DeFazio Statement on House Passage of The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure

Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib on Twitter: "Passing #BIF without a real vote on #BuildBackBetter advances fossil fuel subsidies and cuts to environmental protections without the transformative investments my residents and communities need. My full statement here: (link)" / Twitter
noting
Tlaib Votes to Move Build Back Better | Representative Rashida Tlaib
I voted against BIF because I represent some of the most polluted zip codes in Michigan and the country. While BIF includes some positive provisions, and in particular some funding for lead pipe replacement that I hope will come straight to Michigan, it would also make communities like those I represent less safe, less healthy, and less protected from corporate polluters.

However,
Congresswoman Marie Newman on Twitter: "🚨The bipartisan infrastructure bill has PASSED! ..." / Twitter
🚨The bipartisan infrastructure bill has PASSED!

America is the wealthiest country in the world but we rank 13TH in the overall quality of our infrastructure.

After tonight's passage of this historic bill, we are one step closer to changing that 💪

With the passage of this bill, we are not only creating millions of new, good-paying union jobs but also bringing America’s roads, bridges, transit, rail, drinking water and wastewater infrastructure into the 21st century. I am also thrilled to announce that included in the passage of this infrastructure package were TWO major pieces of legislation of mine, our All Stations Accessibility Program (ASAP) Act and our Rail Center for Excellence bill.

Now, I want to be crystal clear, our work is not over.

Tonight, @POTUS and Congressional leadership gave their word that a vote would be held in the coming weeks to finally pass the visionary Build Back Better Act. I look forward to sending both bills to the President's desk.
Bicameral legislation introduced to make transit more accessible ASAP | Mass Transit
It's the "All Stations Accessibility Program" - continuing in the tradition of cutesy acronyms for bill names. "The proposal in the bill would establish a discretionary grant program that would appropriate $10 billion over 10 years to support local transit authority and commuter rail efforts to upgrade existing stations to meet or exceed accessibility standards under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which was signed into law more than 30 years ago."

Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "I voted no tonight on the BIF because I refuse to pit community member against community member.
noting
Rep. Pressley’s Statement on Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill | Representative Ayanna Pressley
“For months, my progressive colleagues and I have been calling for bold investments to address both the human and physical infrastructure needs of our country. We have been clear from the onset that any vote on the narrow roads and bridges bill must happen in tandem with a vote on the Build Back Better Act that invests in our care economy, housing, paid leave, combating climate change, and more.

“We had an agreement that these two bills would move together—not that we would vote for one in exchange for a potential vote on the other if certain conditions were met. Unfortunately, that agreement was not honored. As such, I voted no tonight on the narrow roads and bridges bill.

“I refuse to choose between the livelihoods of the union workers who build our highways and bridges, and the childcare and healthcare workers who care for our children, elderly, and disabled loved ones. I refuse to choose between our crumbling roads, bridges public transit system, and our crumbling housing stock. I refuse to pit community member against community member.

“As lawmakers, we have a duty to deliver policies and budgets that have a meaningful and tangible impact on the daily lives of our constituents and leave no community behind. I look forward to continuing the work of passing the President’s full Build Back Better agenda.”

However,
Rep Peter DeFazio on Twitter: "Proud to vote in support of an historic investment in our nation’s infrastructure. I fought for this bill to revitalize our transportation, support the trajectory of our economic recovery, and tackle climate change. I look forward to President Biden signing this bill into law." / Twitter
noting
Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure on Twitter: "“Today, @HouseDemocrats continue to build back better for the American people,” Chair @RepPeterDeFazio said after tonight’s passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act in the House.
noting
Chair DeFazio Statement on House Passage of The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Amen to Peter Defazio. Great day for the democrats yesterday. Progressives: if you want more, win another election and you'll get more. It's that simple. Don't whine about what you didn't get. Focus on what you can get and march on.

noting

However,
noting
noting
Amen to Peter Defazio. Great day for the democrats yesterday. Progressives: if you want more, win another election and you'll get more. It's that simple. Don't whine about what you didn't get. Focus on what you can get and march on.
I think they have a right to whine since it was mostly their agenda that was stripped from the bill.

noting

However,
noting
noting
I think they have a right to whine since it was mostly their agenda that was stripped from the bill.
Some amount of whinning is natural. But all it really does is split the party apart and help the republicans. Dems won huge with Clinton in 1992. They tried to pass a huge agenda; had to settle; disappointed some; then they didn't bother to vote in 1994; Republicans crushed them; democratic agenda derailed. Same exact thing happened under Obama. Same thing will happen in 2022 if party splits again and dosn't come out and vote.

Here is who voted against it that were Dems and those that voted for it that were Republicans.

AOC et al made a statement, and it looks like a very bad one. I don't know if they would have done likewise had the few GOP voters help provide cover. I have no more patience for these sophmores that think they are the faculty.

Also, is there a Hall of Fame for Pelosi to go into? If not, we need to make one.

ETA: I'm not super stoked about all of this that I can't sleep. I was hoping to get a bit more movement of the 67P comet into a darker patch of sky before I pack things in for the night. I don't think I'm going to get it. Also, just noticed that my neighbors have an awesome east view (about 120 to 180 degree) in their backyard! I need to talk to them about me using it with the scope and them doing something about their trillion lumen flood light!
Eh, I don't have a lot of respect for them either on this but it's a well worn pattern: The Dems (or GOP) know they have the votes and so they give the ones who 'need the street cred for their constituents' the OK to vote against. I guess that's why they call it politics. Sigh.

What do you wanna bet that this does NOT count as a mark in AOC's favor in Derec's books?

Street cred is possible except that is usually where re-election is a question mark. The head prog voted for the bill, which gives me the impression AOC and company went off script.

Regardless, it passes with little GOP support despite Trump promising this in his term in office.

Eh, I don't have a lot of respect for them either on this but it's a well worn pattern: The Dems (or GOP) know they have the votes and so they give the ones who 'need the street cred for their constituents' the OK to vote against. I guess that's why they call it politics. Sigh.

What do you wanna bet that this does NOT count as a mark in AOC's favor in Derec's books?
I guess that it will help her street cred. But at the same time, if Build-Back really turns the economy, she won't be able to claim credit. But it was very surprising to me that she didn't vote for the infrastructure bill. She could have been a part of a bill that we really need. The bill is real FU to Trump who desperately tried to get an infrastructure bill passed and couldn't come close. We need infrastructure, why not start doing it now? I don't understanding her thinking here. I'm totally down with people fighting for what they (and their constituents) want. But if you can't pull the trigger - makes me wonder what it would take to get her vote. I do think that Dems need to build as large a coalition as we can. We have to be careful and listen to everyone. But we also have to be the part of action. We have to get stuff done. AOC isn't getting stuff done...

I guess that it will help her street cred. But at the same time, if Build-Back really turns the economy, she won't be able to claim credit. But it was very surprising to me that she didn't vote for the infrastructure bill. She could have been a part of a bill that we really need. The bill is real FU to Trump who desperately tried to get an infrastructure bill passed and couldn't come close. We need infrastructure, why not start doing it now? I don't understanding her thinking here. I'm totally down with people fighting for what they (and their constituents) want. But if you can't pull the trigger - makes me wonder what it would take to get her vote. I do think that Dems need to build as large a coalition as we can. We have to be careful and listen to everyone. But we also have to be the part of action. We have to get stuff done. AOC isn't getting stuff done...
When did this happen?

Trump promised a lot of infrastructure spending in his campaign, and he held a lot of "Infrastructure Weeks", but he never got anywhere. He doesn't seem to have much of a long-term focus, very unlike one of his biggest enablers, Mitch McConnell. MMC titled his memoirs "The Long Game", and it's hard to imagine Trump doing anything like that.

Saying some period of time is "infrastucture week" and doing nothing during that week is like wrapping gift paper around an empty box.

Trump promised a lot of infrastructure spending in his campaign, and he held a lot of "Infrastructure Weeks", but he never got anywhere. He doesn't seem to have much of a long-term focus, very unlike one of his biggest enablers, Mitch McConnell. MMC titled his memoirs "The Long Game", and it's hard to imagine Trump doing anything like that.
Yeah, Florida Man didn't try desperately to do anything but cover his own ego. Biggest crowd, negativest physical, best cognitive test, take no responsibility.... the governing part was not where he worked hard.

I don't disagree with you. I think this was short sighted and foolish of all of the squad, most particularly AOC. It definitely won't do Omar any good and she will need it come election time. At the same time, if Trump had made good on his campaign promise, I am desperately afraid he would have been re-elected.

Many Women Have Left the Workforce

Even with children back in school, the influx of women into the job market that most analysts had expected has yet to materialize. The number of women either working or looking for work actually fell in September from August. For men, the number rose.

Many economists and officials, including Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell, had speculated that the re-opening of schools would free more mothers to take jobs. So far that hasn’t happened. The delta variant caused temporary school closings in many areas, which might have discouraged some mothers from returning to work in September. The number of mothers who were employed actually declined for a second straight month.
I told ya so. I believe in this very thread. FRC JP oughta follow me. He could avoid these embarrassing situations.

A major reason, Currie noted, is the worsening difficulty of finding reliable and affordable child care.

Many other women can’t afford to be so choosy, even if they’d like to. Tens of millions of working women, many of them people of color, labor in low-wage jobs and struggle to afford rent, food, utilities and other necessities.

Well, I'd hate like hell for Derec to have to pay for everyone else's childcare. I advocate for a stay-at-home mom revival. I was going to say "stay-at-home parent" but given the choice between mom or dad raising the kids, I'm gonna have to go with mom on this one. Actually, I'd go with mom, daycare, latchkey, dad. In that order.

I don't disagree with you. I think this was short sighted and foolish of all of the squad, most particularly AOC. It definitely won't do Omar any good and she will need it come election time. At the same time, if Trump had made good on his campaign promise, I am desperately afraid he would have been re-elected.
The squad was a major gift to the GOP. They seem so lacking in self awareness, I doubt they'll ever recognize their foolishness.

I can't say I didn't anticipate this is how it would turn out. I cheered for progressives showing the backbone they did, and I wish them to get more members and keep pushing.

Back
Top Bottom