• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President-elect Joe Biden's Cabinet and Staff Nominees

That you fail to address the matter of profiteers acting as arbitors of "reasonable use",
I do not think that government should not enact and enforce reasonable regulation about things like pollution and reclamation.
I think that government should not oppose development just because of ideological opposition and/or because some Indian tribes complain.

and instead resort to an ad hom characterization, bespeaks your intellectual bankruptcy.
LMAO! Intellectial bankruptcy is on your side. I have provided facts and figures backing up my position, while you only have inane attacks.

Maybe try sources for your 4-color graphs on copper other than Copper Development Association Inc.
What's wrong with the Copper Development Association? Do you have any reason to doubt the facts presented in the graphic?
Are you doubting that electric cars need more copper (and other metals) than ICE cars?
And the graphic was only about cars. But if you have a network of chargers, those chargers need more copper, as do transmission lines supplying them. Decarbonizing the economy means copperizing it!

Perhaps about other subjects, but there is no evidence to date you know much, if anything, of substance about Ms. Haaland.
What do you think I am missing? I know she attended the idiotic anti-DAPL protest. She opposes Keystone XL explicitly. She opposes I know she opposes I know she is a cosponsor of AOC's GND which is radically anti-pipeline, anti-oil and gas and anti-nuclear. But despite the fact that decarbonizing the economy requires a lot of copper and other metals, she opposes copper mines such as the one proposed at Oak Flat.
What more do I need to know about her?

I did not bring him up., ltpetrich did in post 176 to which I replied and then you replied to my post. Try to pay attention,
I must have missed that. In any case, he is quite irrelevant here.

You take your beliefe that she explicitly opposed several pipelines (although you don’t appear to have any evidence as the reasons) add in your lack of knowledge about her beliefs on pipelines in general and opposition to fracking and support of GDN to manufacture your claim she is opposed to all pipelines, Wow.
It's called inductive reasoning.

You repeat the same stupid straw man.
It's not a straw man. You kept repeating that Zinke is a "white man" to the extent that you started to sound like AIDS Skrillex.
to which you have been completely silent.
They don't strike me as things important enough to start threads. But if you feel that strongly about them, why didn't you start threads?

Maybe try sources for your 4-color graphs on copper other than Copper Development Association Inc.
What's wrong with the Copper Development Association? Do you have any reason to doubt the facts presented in the graphic?
Are you doubting that electric cars need more copper (and other metals) than ICE cars?
And the graphic was only about cars. But if you have a network of chargers, those chargers need more copper, as do transmission lines supplying them. Decarbonizing the economy means copperizing it!

You've obviously never been to Montana. Big mining, especially copper, ruined great farmlands east of Missoula, destroyed a city, Butte, destroyed a mountain and left a hazardous lake pit and about 60 square miles of hazardous slag. All achieved by Anaconda one of the charter members of that f..king association. That association is responsible for making pits of deposits all over the world with little regard for human or plant life.

No completent person in her right mind would ever consider their 'science' valid.

There are wireless methods that will soon replace the expensive wire infrastructure.

Wireless Power Transfer: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...6a6fdcc37a80edf41/Wireless-Power-Transfer.pdf

IV. ADVANTAGES Electricity in the air technology would completely eliminate the existing power transfer using cables, wires ,towers and the sub stations between the power stations and consumers. It is more convenient, and has more freedom to use electricity. The cost and maintenance of transmission of electricity from stations to substations become cost efficient and cost of electricity for the consumers would also be reduced. This technology is also helpful to transfer electricity to those places where the wired transmission of electricity is not possible. Loss of electricity is also negligible in the wireless power transmission; therefore the efficiency of wireless power transmission is higher than the wired electricity transmission system. The power failure due to the faults in transmission transformers and short circuit would never exist in the wireless power transmission.

V. DISADVANTAGES Every technology need a capital cost for practical implementation at the initial stages. So the capital cost of initial implementation of wireless power transfer is high. In Laser power transmission technique radiation losses, attenuation losses etc. are concerned factors. The other disadvantage of the microwave technique is interference of microwave with current communication technology that leads to biological impacts on the humans as well as animals.

VI. BIOLOGICAL IMPACTS There is a fear of the microwave radiation effect associated with microwave technique. But the exponential growth in this domain rapidly is proving that the microwave radiation level would never be higher than the radiation safety standards. In general, effect of microwaves on atmosphere is quite small. Microwaves are scattered and absorbed by air, and water. Microwave is absorbed by water vapor and oxygen influence the air in the frequency band 2.45 GHz and 5.80 GHz. It is only enough to consider radiation absorption by the oxygen in microwave frequency bands. The attenuation is approximately 0.007 dB/km [6]. The total absorption through air from space is 0.035 dB, only in the case of solar power from space technique [7].

VII. CONCLUSION Wireless Power transmission technology offers to transmit electricity from short range to long range. It can eliminate the use of wired charging systems and batteries. In this paper, Author presented the theories of each method of wireless power transmission technology. It has two types of transmission technology in terms of frequencies which are non-radiative and radiative. Author presented some medical applications for wireless power transmission. Also advantages. Disadvantages, and Biological effects are also discussed.

Put that in you pipe and smoke it Derec.

What do you think I am missing? I know she attended the idiotic anti-DAPL protest.
Do you know the reason(s) for her attendance? I ask, because the reason(s) might have to do with safety or other issues as opposed to pure anti-pipeline. For example, she says i
It was significant that so many of us came together to protect water, our natural resources.
Which is not the same thing as being against all pipelines.
https://haaland.house.gov/media/in-the-news/be-fierce
She opposes Keystone XL explicitly.
See above.
I know she is a cosponsor of AOC's GND which is radically anti-pipeline, anti-oil and gas and anti-nuclear. But despite the fact that decarbonizing the economy requires a lot of copper and other metals, she opposes copper mines such as the one proposed at Oak Flat.
Do you know the reasons for her positions? Does she oppose extracting natural resources or does she oppose these for the actual methods used?

Derec said:
It's called very poorly applied inductive reasoning.
FIFY

They don't strike me as things important enough to start threads. But if you feel that strongly about them, why didn't you start threads?
Mr. Zinke has a clear record of misuse of funds and poor policy choices. Given the chance to comment, you choose to construct a red herring about "starting threads". Your evasions are so predictable.

Do you know the reason(s) for her attendance?
It was to cook chili. Jk. It was to protest agaist an oil pipeline. A very sensible and safe oil pipeline.

I ask, because the reason(s) might have to do with safety or other issues as opposed to pure anti-pipeline. For example, she says
It was significant that so many of us came together to protect water, our natural resources.
Which is not the same thing as being against all pipelines.
But pipeline opponents say shit like this about all pipelines. It's a tired old trope.
Note also that we had an extensive thread on DAPL back in 2016. The claims by DAPL opponents about DAPL being a threat to water were thoroughly debunked.

See above.

Do you know the reasons for her positions? Does she oppose extracting natural resources or does she oppose these for the actual methods used?

Again, we have her opposing several pipelines while supporting none as far as we know. We have her supporting radical legislation that explicitly opposes any fossil fuel developments.
This is correct application of inductive reasoning.

Derec said:
It's called very poorly applied inductive reasoning.
FIFY

Mr. Zinke has a clear record of misuse of funds
That is obviously bad and probably why he was gone, but it's a bit too "inside baseball" to really expect a discussion about it here..
and poor policy choices.
Like what? Support for fracking and pipelines is a good policy choice. As is support for copper and other metal mining.

Given the chance to comment, you choose to construct a red herring about "starting threads". Your evasions are so predictable.
It's not a red herring. To discuss an issue, usually a thread is started. If you wanted to discuss Zinke while he was SecInt, you were welcome to do so.
It's a bit late to debate him now. He's been out of the office for years. Deb Haaland is a clear and present danger in the here and now.

4yynjh.jpg

You've obviously never been to Montana.
Can't say I have. But ever since I saw Hunt for Red October I was wondering what the big deal was. :)

Big mining, especially copper, ruined great farmlands east of Missoula, destroyed a city, Butte, destroyed a mountain and left a hazardous lake pit and about 60 square miles of hazardous slag. All achieved by Anaconda one of the charter members of that f..king association. That association is responsible for making pits of deposits all over the world with little regard for human or plant life.

What does a copper mine that closed over seven decades ago have to do with how much copper is needed for modern electric cars?

No completent person in her right mind would ever consider their 'science' valid.

No completent[sic] person would ever consider that an old copper mine has any bearing on validity of statements about copper needs of a decarbonized economy.

There are wireless methods that will soon replace the expensive wire infrastructure.
That's a good one!
While there will be some use for wireless power transmission, it will not "replace expensive wire infrastructure" nor will it decrease the demand for copper. Quite the opposite. I could see electric cars using wireless charging, but you will need copper coils on both the charger and the car to make it work.
Example: Oak Ridge Inches Closer to 15-⁠Minute Wireless EV Charging
And wireless charging will not replace the copper inside the electric motor (as either windings or squirrel cage), the wiring inside the battery or the high-current cables connecting the two.

Oh, this is so bad! Reads like an undergrad term paper, and a C+ one at that. How did you find this?

IV. ADVANTAGES Electricity in the air technology would completely eliminate the existing power transfer using cables, wires ,towers and the sub stations between the power stations and consumers.

Yeah, no it would not.

It is more convenient, and has more freedom to use electricity. The cost and maintenance of transmission of electricity from stations to substations become cost efficient and cost of electricity for the consumers would also be reduced
Wired power transmission is more efficient, cheaper and more flexible. Microwave power transmission would only be feasible for niche applications or proposed space-based power generation.

This technology is also helpful to transfer electricity to those places where the wired transmission of electricity is not possible.
Then just use solar panels and some battery backup.

Loss of electricity is also negligible in the wireless power transmission; therefore the efficiency of wireless power transmission is higher than the wired electricity transmission system.
That's some major bullshit right there. The losses would be much bigger.

The power failure due to the faults in transmission transformers and short circuit would never exist in the wireless power transmission.
No, it would be replaced through faults in transceiver equipment and the like.

V. DISADVANTAGES Every technology need a capital cost for practical implementation at the initial stages. So the capital cost of initial implementation of wireless power transfer is high. In Laser power transmission technique radiation losses, attenuation losses etc. are concerned factors. The other disadvantage of the microwave technique is interference of microwave with current communication technology that leads to biological impacts on the humans as well as animals.
Yupp. All that and then some.

VI. BIOLOGICAL IMPACTS There is a fear of the microwave radiation effect associated with microwave technique. But the exponential growth in this domain rapidly is proving that the microwave radiation level would never be higher than the radiation safety standards.
In that case you would need very broad beams and huge rectenna arrays.

In general, effect of microwaves on atmosphere is quite small. Microwaves are scattered and absorbed by air, and water.
These two sentences are in direct contradiction.

Microwave is absorbed by water vapor and oxygen influence the air in the frequency band 2.45 GHz and 5.80 GHz. It is only enough to consider radiation absorption by the oxygen in microwave frequency bands. The attenuation is approximately 0.007 dB/km [6]. The total absorption through air from space is 0.035 dB, only in the case of solar power from space technique [7].
The .007 dB/km value is just for oxygen. But anyway, that means 1.1 dB for a 100 mile line, or 23% of power lost just to atmospheric absorption without considering the effects of losses in generating and converting microwaves back to electricity, or losses due to beam spread. In contrast, with a high voltage AC line you love about 7% per 1000 km (~620 miles) and you don't have to worry about accidentally microwaving a flock of birds. :)
It is easy to see that this is not feasible for large-scale earth-bound power transmission.

The author also mentioned losses from space (as in from a giant solar array in space beaming power to Earth via microwaves), which is indeed a possible use for the technology as you can't really run copper wire into space and atmosphere thins considerably after the first 10 km or so limiting attenuation losses. But the beam transmitting at very high power would require a huge ground based array (needing a lot of copper which is ironic as your whole point was to denounce copper) of rectennas. There is another reason for a huge rectenna array - beamforming. A huge array allows the setup to operate as "near field" even at a huge distance which improves efficiency considerably. But again, this is all very theoretical and will not reduce the demand for copper - quite the opposite. And it has no bearing on how much copper is used to make an electric car, which is what you started out disbelieving just because it comes from a copper industry group.

VII. CONCLUSION Wireless Power transmission technology offers to transmit electricity from short range to long range. It can eliminate the use of wired charging systems and batteries.
How does the author envision wireless power transmission eliminating the need for batteries?

Put that in you pipe and smoke it Derec.
Using this C+ term paper to light up a pipe is probably not the worst use for it. :)

But pipeline opponents say shit like this about all pipelines. It's a tired old trope.
In other words, you have nothing but bias to support your position.
Note also that we had an extensive thread on DAPL back in 2016. The claims by DAPL opponents about DAPL being a threat to water were thoroughly debunked.
No, it was not.

Again, we have her opposing several pipelines while supporting none as far as we know. We have her supporting radical legislation that explicitly opposes any fossil fuel developments.
This is correct application of inductive reasoning.
LOL - only if you think using "I don't know why she opposed several piplelines" is a reasonable basis.

It's not a red herring. To discuss an issue, usually a thread is started. If you wanted to discuss Zinke while he was SecInt, you were welcome to do so.
It's a bit late to debate him now. He's been out of the office for years.
Your excuses are as lame as they are predictable.
Deb Haaland is a clear and present danger in the here and now.
That is a hysterical claim - get a grip on reality.

Geoff Bennett on Twitter: "Sen. Joe Manchin is undecided on Deb Haaland's nomination for Interior Secretary, his spokeswoman Sam Runyon tells @LACaldwellDC. Manchin and Haaland have met to discuss her nomination via Zoom, but Manchin is said to have "remaining questions."" / Twitter
I hope Manchin stands firm.

Manchin voted to confirm him.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Sessions then targeted immigrant children for wide-scale human rights abuses w/ family separation.
Family separation was mandated by a court decision (Flores) that forbade the governments to detain families together.

Yet the 1st Native woman to be Cabinet Sec is where Manchin finds unease?"
It would seem that the Left sees her Indianness as her number one qualification, as they trot it out much more frequently than her individual qualifications or accomplishments.
Her appointment is chiefly identity-politics driven.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: ".@DebHaalandNM is a profound public servant and champion for working families.
And a part of the far left wing of the Democratic Party.

Her appointment as Sec of the Interior would be historic, and her leadership holds the promise of progress for our country.

And much more expensive oil, gas and metals due to hamstringing of the extractive industries.
But no matter. Her mother was an Indian, and that's all that matters to the wokesters.

Call your Senator to support her confirmation. ?????? (vid link)" / Twitter[/url]
I'll call the Southern Baptist pastor and the Al Jazeera kid to tell them otherwise.

In other words, you have nothing but bias to support your position.
Wrong.
No, it was not.
Wrong again. You are on a roll.
In those threads I have conclusively shown that
1. The anti-DAPL activists are against all pipelines and oil/gas drilling
2. there is no significant risk to Standing Rock water supplies due to the details of the pipeline construction and where the tribe's water inlet is.

That is a hysterical claim - get a grip on reality.
I have reality in a vise grip, unlike you. The anti-development types are virtually orgasming over the prospect of Haaland leading Department of Interior with an anti-development agenda.

It would seem that the Left sees her Indianness as her number one qualification, as they trot it out much more frequently than her individual qualifications or accomplishments.

Oh, I’m sorry, cabinet members are supposed to have qualifications now? When did that start being true?

Wrong again. You are on a roll.
In those threads I have conclusively shown that
1. The anti-DAPL activists are against all pipelines and oil/gas drilling
2. there is no significant risk to Standing Rock water supplies due to the details of the pipeline construction and where the tribe's water inlet is.
You confuse your belief with reality.

I have reality in a vise grip, unlike you.
I am concerned because it is the claim Ms. Haaland is a "clear and present danger in the here and now" is either hysterical rhetoric or fucking delusional. Please get a grip on reality.
The anti-development types are virtually orgasming over the prospect of Haaland leading Department of Interior with an anti-development agenda.
Are you jealous? Or are you upset because the extract natural resources at all costs orgy at the Department of Interior may be over?

Oh, I’m sorry, cabinet members are supposed to have qualifications now? When did that start being true?

If she were a Republican, "congressman from a major oil state" would be trotted out as a point blank, unquestionable qualification for the role.

And they would be just as happy to trot out her race, for that matter. They don't have as many minority representatives on the white nationalist side of the aisle, but when they have someone, they're all too happy to use their race as proof of the Party's liberal-mindedness. "You say we're racists, but if that's true, how come we have a Black on our side, answer me that" blah blah.

Why is everyone overlooking she is Indian which is a qualification. If black, southern, conservative or flatulate, are qualifications then certainly being a descendant of survivor of the American extinction event, otherwise known as Westward Ho, in the 1800s qualifies.

Haaland Retains Her Composure in the Face of “Immense Disrespect” in Confirmation Hearing

https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/haaland-retains-her-composure-in-the-face-of-immense-disrespect-in-confirmation-hearing?fbclid=IwAR2_8nC-erAudZLGSFQjeBEqI2MrwIs5YXnOzTiYST9lGv-q7u6ArcT4sOM

It was well that President Biden’s nominee mentioned that she was an Indigenous woman, as none of the Republican members on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee acknowledged the historic nature of Haaland’s nomination to oversee the federal agency that has responsibility for Indian Country. GOP senators Barrasso, Daines, Lankford, Murkowski and Hoeven are all past or present members of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs.

Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) continued Barrasso’s tenor, when he questioned Haaland about the Antiquities Act, and how “28 of national monuments over the last 40 years” had been established in Utah, to the detriment of state residents who he claimed had been “impoverished” by their creation.

Haaland began to explain that the area Lee was referring to, Bears Ears National Monument, was “the Pueblo Indians ancestral homeland,” but Lee curtly interjected that Haaland’s affinity for the area wasn’t his concern, it was with “people who have some sort of connection to the land,” whom he identified as oil and gas workers, ranchers, and associated leaseholders.

As expected, Haaland was repeatedly quizzed about extractive industry and what some GOP Members of Congress have called her “radical” and “extreme” views on renewable energy as part of her stated commitment to address climate change and transition from the present reliance on fossil fuels. Haaland repeatedly committed to support all forms of energy development in a “responsible manner” and that she would implement “President Biden’s agenda.”

In an attempt at political checkmate, both Senator James Lankford (R-OK) and Senator John Hoeven (R-ND), tried to compromise Haaland on tribal nations that rely upon extractive industry. Hoeven raised the importance of the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) to the Three Affiliated Tribes/MHA Nation in North Dakota, and Haaland’s opposition to the pipeline while chair of the Democratic Party in New Mexico.

“Yes, I did go to stand with the water protectors,” Haaland responded. “The reason I did that is because I agreed with the tribe that they felt they weren’t consulted in the best way,” she said of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, and emphasized the importance of tribal consultation.

Hoeven, until recently the chair of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, failed to mention the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG) crisis in relation to the Bakken fracking fields that border the MHA Nation. MMIWG cases in the area rose 178% with the advent of man camps in the Bakken.

White House pulls nomination of embattled budget chief pick Neera Tanden
"I look forward to having her serve in a role in my Administration," Biden said, signaling that he'll find a job for her that doesn't need Senate approval.

WASHINGTON — The White House is withdrawing Neera Tanden's nomination to lead the Office of Management and Budget, marking the first major personnel defeat for President Joe Biden.

Tanden ran into trouble after Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., came out against her, citing overtly partisan statements that he said would have a toxic and detrimental impact on the working relationship between Congress and the influential budget office.

Biden had hoped a moderate Republican would give Tanden the support she needed, but that appeared unlikely. Tanden, who would have been the first nonwhite woman to run the office, was criticized because of her previous posts on Twitter targeting Republicans and Democrats in the Senate.

"I have accepted Neera Tanden's request to withdraw her name from nomination for Director of the Office of Management and Budget," Biden said in a statement. "I have the utmost respect for her record of accomplishment, her experience and her counsel, and I look forward to having her serve in a role in my Administration. She will bring valuable perspective and insight to our work."

I don't like Tanden, but Manchin is an ass. Get the fuck over yourself. And no Trumpsucking Repubs have any business complaining about anyone else's social media activity ever. Biden shouldn't have picked her though, if he really wants to change the tone. Lot of fail all around in this enterprise.

Biden was also slow to can Ducklo, a delay in his promise to "fire you on the spot" for disrespecting anyone, and that guy deserved to be fired by all rights.

Back
Top Bottom