• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pride sucks

How about enjoying the process? The joy of growing and learning? I'd say using pride in accomplishment as your main source of motivation is a sure way to make yourself unhappy. If you find joy in the process you'll find joy in projects even when you fail. That's a win=win

There is nothing that stops somebody who takes pride in the overall accomplishment from also enjoying the process.

Nietzsche is helpful here.

The idea that the truths of one are not necessarily the truths of another. Truths are sometimes hard won.

The notion that there are universal truths of behavior is a religious notion. On the extremes sure, murder and rape clearly have victims. With pride it is not so clear.

If not having pride gives you pleasure then you are seeking your pleasure. Not seeking any truth.

Go for it.

I think you need to read more Nietzsche.

There is nothing that stops somebody who takes pride in the overall accomplishment from also enjoying the process.

Nietzsche is helpful here.

The idea that the truths of one are not necessarily the truths of another. Truths are sometimes hard won.

The notion that there are universal truths of behavior is a religious notion. On the extremes sure, murder and rape clearly have victims. With pride it is not so clear.

If not having pride gives you pleasure then you are seeking your pleasure. Not seeking any truth.

Go for it.

What do you mean?

Nietzsche was clear.

When you throw away Christian dogma you have to throw it all away.

Including the cowering and reducing oneself to a worm before one's god.

A person without some pride is usually not a person worth knowing.

What do you mean?

Nietzsche was clear.

Nietzsche uses pride as equivalent to "will to power". It's the engine that pushes us forward. But he puts no value on it. He makes no claim that it makes us happier. I don't agree that it's necessary for progress.

But then I guess you don't want to know me. Nice to have met you.

What do you mean?

Nietzsche was clear.

Nietzsche uses pride as equivalent to "will to power". It's the engine that pushes us forward. But he puts no value on it. He makes no claim that it makes us happier. I don't agree that it's necessary for progress.

No, you clearly have a lot of pride.

That you choose to rail against it is only a pose.

Not knowledge.

Not knowledge.

You sound like an oriental sage. Thanks for letting me know what I'm really thinking.

Not knowledge.

You sound like an oriental sage. Thanks for letting me know what I'm really thinking.

I'm not telling you what you are thinking.

I am telling you that you are trying to pass off unproductive opinion as knowledge.

The key is to try to get our natural pride to work for us, not kill it.

In Christianity, Pride is considered the basis of all sin.

Edit: and pride always goeth before the fall.

In Christianity, Pride is considered the basis of all sin.

Edit: and pride always goeth before the fall.

I think you've read it wrong. God is portrayed as the ultimate narcissist. It's not that God wants other people to stay humble for their own good. It's just so more light shines upon him. Why else would he have the "false idols" commandment? I mean... all the top three commandments are nuts.

Back
Top Bottom