• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Quince tree producing this year - yumminess ahead

They're a lot of hard work. Just a pain to cut up. But I suspect you have the patience. :)

ETA I just had a look at that. Our quinces are a very different variety.

What are yours like? These are indeed very difficult to cut up.

You said that they were like pears, and when I looked at the picture I found you meant it. Ours are roughly the size and shape of a large coconut and bumpier. It'll just be a different variety, they go the same colour, cooked.

Your thread has made me come over all nostalgic. Nanna's quince jelly tasted great, but it was beeautiful to look at. Sigh.

We had a quince in our back yard.Mother put bits in other fruit when she canned.If I recall.

Quince and ginger is a great combination, but I think you are saying she added small amounts to apple, pear, plum, etc?

For the colour or the pectin, do you think?

They're a lot of hard work. Just a pain to cut up. But I suspect you have the patience. :)

ETA I just had a look at that. Our quinces are a very different variety.

What are yours like? These are indeed very difficult to cut up.

You said that they are like pears. When I had a look at the site I found you meant it. Ours are more the size and shape of a large coconut. And bumpier.

It'll just be a different variety, they go the same colour when cooked.

Your thread has made me come over all nostalgic. Nanna's quince jelly tasted good, but it was beeeautiful to look at. I just searched for images but none of them had the colour or clarity of hers.

We had a quince in our back yard.Mother put bits in other fruit when she canned.If I recall.

Quince and ginger is a good combination. You imply that she used it in small quantities in apple, pears, plums, etc. Do you think that was for the colour or the pectin?

You said that they are like pears. When I had a look at the site I found you meant it. Ours are more the size and shape of a large coconut. And bumpier.

It'll just be a different variety, they go the same colour when cooked.

Your thread has made me come over all nostalgic. Nanna's quince jelly tasted good, but it was beeeautiful to look at. I just searched for images but none of them had the colour or clarity of hers.

Wow, that's a significant difference. But yeah, that color is beautiful.

Is quince high in pectin?She was from old Oregon pioneer stock,her mother may have shown her canning.

Is quince high in pectin?She was from old Oregon pioneer stock,her mother may have shown her canning.

It's super high in pectin. Yes, it was commonly used in other recipes to add that. One of the highest.

I can't recall ever encountering a quince.
My only encounter with quince is the reference being made when Rosie Lopez's character in White Men Can't Jump finished up a Jeopardy category (words that begin with Q) with the 'question' of "What is a Quince" to an 'answer' (daily double) about the fruit in the story of The Fall in the Bible.

Why can I remember details like that to a movie I haven't watched in a decade plus, but not my new pin code?!

It's super high in pectin. Yes, it was commonly used in other recipes to add that. One of the highest.
I have this unfortunate condition where citrus pectin does not like me, especially lemon. I'm wondering if quince might be a nice addition to my apple pie. The lady up the street has a plant and it must have 20 pounds of fruit - at least - going to waste.

I have this unfortunate condition where citrus pectin does not like me, especially lemon. I'm wondering if quince might be a nice addition to my apple pie. The lady up the street has a plant and it must have 20 pounds of fruit - at least - going to waste.

Sounds like a great thing to try. And 20 pounds! Oooh! She should list in on Craig's list. Bet she'd have takers!

I only went out of my way to try some quince recipes recently but the quince reference in The Owl and the Pussycat has been with me since early childhood.

I've known about quinces as a friend bought a house with such a tree, some 20 years ago. We also have a pork roast recipe that has quince in it, but often we just use apples, as quinces are often not available or too expensive to bother.

And FWIW, there are a couple quince varieties that are edible raw, though I've never had them:
https://onegreenworld.com/product/kuganskaya-2/
https://onegreenworld.com/product/aromatnaya-2/

Not to derail, but I'm still waiting for our Pawpaws to start producing, though we did plant them as virtual twigs.

Not to derail, but I'm still waiting for our Pawpaws to start producing, though we did plant them as virtual twigs.

What's a pawpaw look like? I seen them referenced in books I've read, but I'm not familiar with them.

What's a pawpaw look like? I seen them referenced in books I've read, but I'm not familiar with them.
I've only had them once, as they aren't common in stores. But I liked it, so we have 2 trees that are now just taller than I am. If you are in the Midwest, they may be more common...
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/...ruit-midwest-how-to-prep-and-eat-pawpaws.html
Pawpaw trees, the largest edible fruit trees native to North America, produce greenish-blackish fruit, usually three to six inches long. The flesh is pale to bright yellow and contains a network of glossy, dark brown seeds. A pawpaw's flavor is sunny, electric, and downright tropical: a riot of mango-banana-citrus that's incongruous with its temperate, deciduous forest origins. They also have a subtle kick of a yeasty, floral aftertaste a bit like unfiltered wheat beer. "The flavor of pawpaws is forceful and distinct," writes culinary historian Mark F. Sohn diplomatically in his encyclopedic book, Appalachian Home Cooking.
<snip>
Here's the catch: easy-bruising pawpaws have a short shelf life and don't currently fit in the business model of big agriculture.

Asimina_triloba_red_fern_farm.jpg

Cool. Ya learn something new every day.

Quince has an extraordinary amount of natural pectin, so you don't need to add any at all, just boil it.

Unfortunately, high pectin is unfriendly to the brewer... so much for a Quince Fruit Beer. I'm out.

Only time I ever heard "pawpaw" was from my Texan cousins.. That's what they call their Grandfather.

Only time I ever heard "pawpaw" was from my Texan cousins.. That's what they call their Grandfather.

aka 'Papaya' (the fruit, not the Texan grandfather).

Back
Top Bottom