• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

R.I.P Steve Ditko

Arctish

Centimillionaire
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Humanist
Steve Ditko, Spider-Man Co-Creator and Legendary Comics Artist, Dies at 90

In 1961, Ditko and Lee created Spider-Man. Lee, the editor-in-chief at Marvel Comics, gave Ditko the assignment after he wasn't satisfied with Jack Kirby's take on the idea of a teen superhero with spider powers. The look of Spider-Man — the costume, the web-shooters, the red and blue design — all came from Ditko. Spider-Man first appeared in Amazing Fantasy No. 15. The comic was an unexpected hit, and the character was spun off into The Amazing Spider-Man. Ditko helped create such classic Spider-Man characters as Doctor Octopus, Sandman, the Lizard and Green Goblin. Starting with issue No. 25, Ditko received a plot credit in addition to his artist credit. Ditko's run ended with issue No. 38.

In 1963, Ditko created the surreal and psychedelic hero, Doctor Strange. The character debuted in Strange Tales No. 110, and Ditko continued on the comic through issue No. 146, cover dated July 1966.

He created several other characters over the years including The Creeper, Hawk and Dove, Micronauts, and Squirrel Girl. He also created the (in)famous Objectivist comic book hero, Mr. A.

The "A" stands for "Asshole", I assume :D

I'm still just getting into comics, so I haven't even looked at Marvel Unlimited for what they're featuring on his passing, if anything. But I have herd that he made a lot of the artwork conventions, particularly with Spidey and Dr. Strange.

I'm still just getting into comics, so I haven't even looked at Marvel Unlimited for what they're featuring on his passing, if anything. But I have herd that he made a lot of the artwork conventions, particularly with Spidey and Dr. Strange.

Welcome to the world of comics! There is a lot of history for many characters if you choose to dig into them. I started in.... wait... how long?!.. that can’t be right... oh... ‘88... no wonder that stack of comic boxes is so big.

The "A" stands for "Asshole", I assume :D

A surprising number of comic book creators were lunatics about politics, but Ditko was still important even if his politics were goofy.

I suppose someone should start an "art vs the artist" thread. I just can't watch Mel Gibson anymore after finding out about his antisemitism and religious extremism (in some ways, Catholic extremists are worse than Evangelicals).

On the other hand, I can still read Frank Miller's earlier works even though he went full right wing moonbat later in life.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of people are recommending comic books to you right now.

Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis and Jon Muth is a more obscure one that might not have been recommended to you yet.

I haven't read it in decades, so hopefully this isn't one of those "whoops, that didn't age well" things. I remember it being melancholy, quirky, surreal, thoughtful, the art is entirely in watercolor, and there isn't a superhero in sight. It's probably a good "gateway drug" comic book.

Last edited:
... I just can't watch Mel Brooks anymore after finding out about his antisemitism and religious extremism (in some ways, Catholic extremists are worse than Evangelicals).
I think you may be mixing up your Mels - Brooks is about as far from a Catholic extremist anti-Semite as you can get. Are you perhaps thinking of Gibson?

... I just can't watch Mel Brooks anymore after finding out about his antisemitism and religious extremism (in some ways, Catholic extremists are worse than Evangelicals).
I think you may be mixing up your Mels - Brooks is about as far from a Catholic extremist anti-Semite as you can get. Are you perhaps thinking of Gibson?

Yes, I meant Gibson. Thanks for the correction. Thankfully, I was able to edit it.

That was a doozy of a typo given that Brooks is Jewish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom