• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

racial height differences poll

What is the primary cause of the average height difference between whites and Asians in the USA?

• Genetic differences are the cause

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Environmental cause, i.e. Asians eat too much rice and it makes them short, or they study too much m

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no idea. It is anyone's guess which race is taller than another on average. Maybe Asians are

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Dividing traits into those that will evolve and those that will not.

The mammalian visual system has not changed much at all in millions of years. The same components, the same reactions creating vision. The same general areas in the brain creating vision.

Systems, like the visual system or the cognitive system resist evolutionary change. Because they are functioning systems, while something like hair color, a trait, is not a functioning system.

It is not true that all things in the animal can change as easily as superficial traits like height or skin color. You can't alter systems randomly and expect them to function properly. Most changes to a system would be harmful.

And how exactly do you change the cognitive system? It is a complete system, not a trait. What can be changed about it?

And this is all recognized by modern Evolutionary Scientists.

Dividing traits into those that will evolve and those that will not.

The mammalian visual system has not changed much at all in millions of years. The same components, the same reactions creating vision. The same general areas in the brain creating vision.

Systems, like the visual system or the cognitive system resist evolutionary change.

I think that this is what is called a 'bait and switch': "The mammalian visual system has not changed much at all in millions of years... the visual system or the cognitive system resist evolutionary change." Has the mammalian cognitive "system" changed in "millions of years"? If so, then comparisons with the visual "system" are unwarranted. If not, then there was no difference in cognitive "systems" between Homo sapiens and earlier ancestor species.

I don't know how much our vision has evolved in the past few million years, more importantly I don't know how quickly it might evolve with directional selection in that time span. Suggesting that because (supposedly) our vision has not evolved "much" in "millions of years" is evidence that it could not evolve "much" in "millions of years" is one that creationists make from time to time (Creationist Claim Claim CB930). In other words, even though we have reasons to think that traits associated with vision may be more 'resistant' to selection, we have no reason to conclude that our visual "system" could not evolve "much" in "millions of years".

However, the have very good reasons to think that our cognitive "system" has indeed evolved "much" in "millions of years". Three million years ago our ancestors were something very much like Australopithecus, I think that it is safe to conclude that our cognition has evolved "much" since then.

Because they are functioning systems, while something like hair color, a trait, is not a functioning system.
You have still not explained what you mean by "system". Here is a short explanation from a popular biology text book:
A system is simply a combination of components that function together. A biologist can study a system at any level of organization. A single leaf cell can be considered a system, as can a frog, an ant colony, or a desert ecosystem.
(p. 6 in Campbell Biology, Canadian Edition)

For comparison:
A heritable feature that varies among individuals, such as flower colour, is called a character. Each variant for a character, such as purple or white for flowers, is called a trait.
(p. 282 in Campbell Biology, Canadian Edition)

It is not true that all things in the animal can change as easily as superficial traits...
Is "superficial" different from "external"?

...like height or skin color. You can't alter systems randomly and expect them to function properly. Most changes to a system would be harmful
This sounds an awful lot like a creationist argument (e.g., Creationist Claim CB303). Do you think that early primates living 50 million years ago had the cognitive "system" that we do today? What is the minimum time required to evolve a change in cognitive "system" that would increase some arbitrary metric of 'intelligence' by, say, 10%?

And how exactly do you change the cognitive system? It is a complete system, not a trait. What can be changed about it?
This series of questions seems to assume that all living humans are exactly identical with regards to cognitive "system". I find that assumption rather odd. I would certainly argue that my cognitive "system" is different in some ways from the cognitive "systems" of my parents, suggesting that cognitive "systems" can change.

And this is all recognized by modern Evolutionary Scientists.
I am a modern evolutionary biologist, I would thank you not to speak for me.

Peez

Systems, like the visual system or the cognitive system resist evolutionary change.

I think that this is what is called a 'bait and switch'

I think you make a lot of irrational conclusions.

It is not bait and switch. It is trying to put this subject into some kind of coherent order.

A system is not a trait. You even seem to understand this. You provided some high school definitions of both.

To compare an end trait like height to the cognitive system, or to any system, is irrational. And it is not because systems don't evolve. It is because systems evolve in a different manner than visible traits. Systems are delicate and interconnected. While something like skin color, an end trait, can easily be changed with no apparent effect. The animal will not die because it's skin is a different color than the parents. But if it's cognitive system was altered in some way, which means an alteration to the brain, then the animal would likely not survive and reproduce.

Height is an end trait, a mere consequence of the length of bone in the skeletal system.

While the skeletal system is of course a system.

Here is a picture to illustrate:

hand 2 million years old.png

On the left is what is thought to be a 2 million year old human ancestor and on the right a modern human. The configuration of bones is identical. The ancient fossil is missing the distal phalanges on it's fingers but the flatness of the distal middle phalanges indicates they were there in the animal. They were lost in excavation.

The reason the configuration of bones has not changed in 2 million years is because the hand represents a functional system. While the size of the hand is merely an end trait, a mere consequence of the size of all constituent bones.

I don't know how much our vision has evolved in the past few million years..

So you will argue from ignorance, fine.

...Suggesting that because (supposedly) our vision has not evolved "much" in "millions of years" is evidence that it could not evolve "much" in "millions of years" is one that creationists make from time to time...

And the ignorance arrives on cue.

However, the have very good reasons to think that our cognitive "system" has indeed evolved "much" in "millions of years".

What evidence is that?

I would certainly argue that my cognitive "system" is different in some ways from the cognitive "systems" of my parents, suggesting that cognitive "systems" can change.

Different in nature? You can do things with your cognitive system they can not?

Some children can run faster than their parents. Are you suggesting they are using a different kind of muscular skeletal system?

Besides the distinction between end trait and system there is the distinction between kind of system and variation of the same system.

Your cognitive system is a variation of the human cognitive system. It is not some new system. It is the same system most other humans have.

I am a modern evolutionary biologist

Not in a million years would I have guessed. What have you published?

You really are partial to the creationist's argument on the irreducible complexity of an organ.

You are partial to this absurd strawman.

Evolution is not as simplistic as you imagine.

Again, all one has to do is look at dogs and one can see the flexibility of end traits.

But they all have the same skeletal system, the same digestive system, the same immune system, the same visual system.

And every reason to think they have the same cognitive systems. As little as we actually know about the brain and how it creates cognition.

Peez:
I think you make a lot of irrational conclusions.
Pitty you cannot point one out.

It is not bait and switch.
It sure looks like one. You start by talking about an alleged pattern in the evolution of the human visual "system" (the bait), and then sneak in the evolution of the human cognitive "system" (the switch).

It is trying to put this subject into some kind of coherent order.
I am all for that.

A system is not a trait.
A system is a character, one particular form of a system is a trait.

You even seem to understand this.
I understand what these terms can mean, and how biologists use them. You do not seem to be clear on any definition, and seem quite reluctant to explain how you define them.

You provided some high school definitions of both.
Actually I quoted a college level text book, you can look it up if you like.

To compare an end trait...
Oh goody, another new term introduced. Perhaps you can tell us how an "end trait" compares to an "external" one or a "superficial" one.

...like height to the cognitive system, or to any system, is irrational.
...and yet you are comparing them, unless perhaps you have a special definition of "compare" as well.

And it is not because systems don't evolve. It is because systems evolve in a different manner than visible traits. Systems are delicate and interconnected. While something like skin color, an end trait, can easily be changed with no apparent effect. The animal will not die because it's skin is a different color than the parents. But if it's cognitive system was altered in some way, which means an alteration to the brain, then the animal would likely not survive and reproduce.
I don't even know where to start to address the ignorance of biology here. Suffice to say you are making claims for which you have no evidence.

Height is an end trait,
I guess that "end trait" is the new favourite. Instead of making up vague term after vague term, it would be helpful if you just explained yourself.

a mere consequence of the length of bone in the skeletal system.
lol

While the skeletal system is of course a system.
You still have refused to explain what you mean by "system". If the definition that I shared is so bad, why not present a better one? Argument by semantics is another creationist ploy, by the way.

Anyhow, yes a skeletal system is a system. So is a bacterial cell.

Here is a picture to illustrate:

View attachment 7913

On the left is what is thought to be a 2 million year old human ancestor and on the right a modern human. The configuration of bones is identical. The ancient fossil is missing the distal phalanges on it's fingers but the flatness of the distal middle phalanges indicates they were there in the animal. They were lost in excavation.

The reason the configuration of bones has not changed in 2 million years is because the hand represents a functional system. While the size of the hand is merely an end trait, a mere consequence of the size of all constituent bones.
...and the human cognitive "system" is also a system, and so has not evolved substantially in the past two million years. Right?

I don't know how much our vision has evolved in the past few million years..
So you will argue from ignorance, fine.
lol! I am ignorant about a great many things. The difference is that I am aware of this ignorance, and acknowledge it. This is not a weakness.

...Suggesting that because (supposedly) our vision has not evolved "much" in "millions of years" is evidence that it could not evolve "much" in "millions of years" is one that creationists make from time to time...
And the ignorance arrives on cue.
That is certainly much easier than actually addressing my point.

However, the have very good reasons to think that our cognitive "system" has indeed evolved "much" in "millions of years".
What evidence is that?
Seriously? You would like evidence that our cognitive system has evolved "much" in the past few million years, in the context of an argument that it could not possibly have evolved subtle differences in the past few tens of thousands of years? Wow. Are you sure that you are not a creationist? Well, three million years ago our ancestors were similar to Australopithecus afarensis (do you need evidence for that?), with a cranial capacity of about 450 ml: less than one third the mean for modern humans, give or take a little (let me know if you need evidence for that). That seems to me pretty good evidence that our cognition has evolved "much" since then. Yes, I know that brain size is not cognition, but it is certainly related. The relationship between the size of the brain overall, and the size of specific parts of the brain, with "intelligence" is complex, but there is no doubt that these sizes matter (even if size is only an "end trait", whatever that is).

Referring to your later text, I certainly do not think that our brains have evolved radically new forms. Note that I have been keeping "much" in scare quotes, I realize how your vague claims can be problematic. The context here is a discussion about the evolution of "racial differences". I don't see anyone arguing that "blacks" have radically different cognitive "systems" than "whites". The question is whether or not certain aspects of intellectual ability could have evolved differently in different groups of humans over the past few tens of thousands of years (feel free to correct me about the time-frame as this has not been defined here as far as I know). Your attempt to re-frame this in terms of changes in "kind" are no more than misdirection.

I would certainly argue that my cognitive "system" is different in some ways from the cognitive "systems" of my parents, suggesting that cognitive "systems" can change.
Different in nature? You can do things with your cognitive system they can not?
Oh goody, another new term. I did not state or suggest or imply anything about being different in "nature". Note that people who have suggested that there are "genetic" differences among human "races" are not (in general, there might be exceptions that I do not know about) suggesting that these are differences in "nature". They are suggesting that the alleged races differ in "intelligence". Any racist material that I have come across has argued that certain races are just not quite as good at others in doing certain tasks.

Some children can run faster than their parents. Are you suggesting they are using a different kind of muscular skeletal system?
Some racists suggest that "blacks" are not as "intelligent" as "whites". Are they suggesting that these "races" are using a different kind of central nervous system? You are making no sense.

Besides the distinction between end trait and system...
Neither of which you have defined.

...there is the distinction between kind of system and variation of the same system.
Goody, another new term. I don't suppose that you are going to explain what you mean by "kind" here, are you? Your track record is not good so far. ("Kind" and "variation of the same system", are you sure you are not a creationist?)

Your cognitive system is a variation of the human cognitive system. It is not some new system. It is the same system most other humans have.
So you are saying that we can have evolution within kinds, is that right?

I am a modern evolutionary biologist
Not in a million years would I have guessed.
Look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.

What have you published?
Why, exactly? Would it make my arguments any better or worse? I'll tell you what: if you really think that it is important then you list your publications on evolutionary biology, then I will list mine. If you don't think that it is important, then why bring it up?

Peez

...and the human cognitive "system" is also a system, and so has not evolved substantially in the past two million years. Right?

Only a very stupid individual would draw that conclusion.

The point is: systems are not end traits and they do not change in the same manner that end traits change.

A point you are clearly incapable of even addressing.

Evolution is not only a process of change but it is also a process of preservation of the things that grant survival and reproductive success.

Although there are some very stupid people who think evolution is only a process of change.

I am ignorant about a great many things. The difference is that I am aware of this ignorance, and acknowledge it.

Oh the irony. Thanks for the laugh.

What evidence is that?

Seriously? You would like evidence that our cognitive system has evolved "much" in the past few million years, in the context of an argument that it could not possibly have evolved subtle differences in the past few tens of thousands of years? Wow. Are you sure that you are not a creationist? Well, three million years ago our ancestors were similar to Australopithecus afarensis (do you need evidence for that?), with a cranial capacity of about 450 ml: less than one third the mean for modern humans, give or take a little (let me know if you need evidence for that). That seems to me pretty good evidence that our cognition has evolved "much" since then. Yes, I know that brain size is not cognition, but it is certainly related. The relationship between the size of the brain overall, and the size of specific parts of the brain, with "intelligence" is complex, but there is no doubt that these sizes matter (even if size is only an "end trait", whatever that is).

This is your evidence? Size if cranial cavity?

So according to your ignorance most women have less cognitive capacity than most men. A joke.

What have you published?

Why, exactly? Would it make my arguments any better or worse? I'll tell you what: if you really think that it is important then you list your publications on evolutionary biology, then I will list mine. If you don't think that it is important, then why bring it up?

As I thought. You really have no capacity to add or subtract anything here. You have no grasp of the material.

But the point remains despite your lack of education to deal with it.

Evolution is as much about preservation as it is about change.

And systems, like the cognitive system, or the visual system, or even a much less complex system, the hand, resist evolutionary change. I even gave you a picture to illustrate this as much as it can be illustrated.

There is no evidence the language capacity differs at all in any group of humans. And therefore there is no reason to think the language capacity has evolved since humans somehow acquired it. Which was probably a single mutation in a single individual, but that is speculation.

And if the language capacity has not evolved it is likely that much of the cognitive system also resists change as well.

And no evidence exists that humans have different cognitive systems. They all have the same system with minor variations despite the efforts of some to exaggerate those variations.

Evolution is as much about preservation as it is about change.

And systems, like the cognitive system, or the visual system, or even a much less complex system, the hand, resist evolutionary change. I even gave you a picture to illustrate this as much as it can be illustrated.

There is no evidence the language capacity differs at all in any group of humans. And therefore there is no reason to think the language capacity has evolved since humans somehow acquired it. Which was probably a single mutation in a single individual, but that is speculation.

And if the language capacity has not evolved it is likely that much of the cognitive system also resists change as well.

And no evidence exists that humans have different cognitive systems. They all have the same system with minor variations despite the efforts of some to exaggerate those variations.

You're using your invented notion of "systems" to deny natural selection. Other primates have high cognition, too, don't they; but their cognition is not as high as ours. Yet, we have, in your view, the same systems. Can you accept that, even if, for argument sake, your "systems" can be consider valid, that natural selection can act on those "systems"? And this idea that some biological functions are resistant to change is contrary to evolution. Every bit of our biology is subject to evolution and the selective pressures - or lack thereof - of our environment. The only things that are not are those bound by the laws of physics and chemistry.

See  Spiegelman%27s_Monster

Use it or lose it.

P_anguinus-head1.jpg

...You're using your invented notion of "systems" to deny natural selection.....

I did not invent the concept of system. The concept of system as it applies to things like the visual system, or the immune system, or the cognitive system are well established biological concepts.

And nobody is denying natural selection.

The point is, systems do not change as readily as things like height, or skin color, or other end traits.

Again, all one has to do is look at dogs to see what kind of flexibility end traits have.

But all dogs have the same nervous system despite all this apparent change. Because systems resist evolutionary change to a much greater extent than end traits.

If you disagree then tell me about all the changes to the skeletal structure of the hand that have taken place in the past 2 million years.

And the hand is a simple system compared to something like the cognitive system. A complex interconnected system will resist change to a greater degree.

And this is not by some magic force. It is due to the delicate nature of complex interconnected systems. Even small changes to delicate interconnected systems are usually disastrous.

And this is not to say that systems are not the product of evolution, but evolution has to be understood as 2 processes. One process is change and the other process is preservation of things that work, things that grant reproductive success. If things that work weren't preserved evolution could never produce much complexity.

...You're using your invented notion of "systems" to deny natural selection.....

I did not invent the concept of system. The concept of system as it applies to things like the visual system, or the immune system, or the cognitive system are well established biological concepts.

And nobody is denying natural selection.

The point is, systems do not change as readily as things like height, or skin color, or other end traits.

Again, all one has to do is look at dogs to see what kind of flexibility end traits have.

But all dogs have the same nervous system despite all this apparent change. Because systems resist evolutionary change to a much greater extent than end traits.

If you disagree then tell me about all the changes to the skeletal structure of the hand that have taken place in the past 2 million years.

And the hand is a simple system compared to something like the cognitive system. A complex interconnected system will resist change to a greater degree.

And this is not by some magic force. It is due to the delicate nature of complex interconnected systems. Even small changes to delicate interconnected systems are usually disastrous.

And this is not to say that systems are not the product of evolution, but evolution has to be understood as 2 processes. One process is change and the other process is preservation of things that work, things that grant reproductive success. If things that work weren't preserved evolution could never produce much complexity.

You really do seem to be denying natural selection and evolution. Surely, the bits that make up a "system" can be subjected to selective pressures but the "system" remain? If not, then evolution and natural selection cannot be true.

You really do seem to be denying natural selection and evolution. Surely, the bits that make up a "system" can be subjected to selective pressures but the "system" remain? If not, then evolution and natural selection cannot be true.

I might as well be trying to teach calculus to a pig.

Please explain to me all the ways the bones of the hand have changed in the past 2 million years.

Please explain to me all the ways the bones of the hand have changed in the past 2 million years.

Actually the human hand is an important tool for researches studying differences between apes and humans an more microscopically between ancient hominids (lucy and relatives) and homo sapiens.

Here is an article from some 30 years ago which shows a lot of changes in hands as humans evolved as toolmakers.

Hominid Hand Use in the Pliocene and Pleistocene: Evidence from Experimental Archaeology and Comparative Morphology https://www.researchgate.net/profil...morphology/links/0f31752fd274f10772000000.pdf

from abstract:
The proportions and joint morphology of the Australopithecus afarensis hands are compatible with a variety of grips that should have facilitated habitual and effective manipulation of unmodified stones as tools. Derived human features in the Olduvai hand should have enhanced the control of stones by the thumb and fingers in the same grips. The robusticity of Neandertal hands is consistent with internal forces that are associated with intrinsic muscle control of finger position and with the large, repetitive extrinsic impulsive forces which accompany the wielding of hand-held stone tools.

to wit: These findings throw interesting light on the hand of A. afarensis. The absence of modern human features in the region of the fifth finger probably precludes only the squeeze grip from a potential repertoire of effective postures for the manipulation of natural objects as tools.

Last edited:
Actually the human hand is an important tool for researches studying differences between apes and humans an more microscopically between ancient hominids (lucy and relatives) and homo sapiens.

Here is an article from some 30 years ago which shows a lot of changes in hands as humans evolved as toolmakers.

Hominid Hand Use in the Pliocene and Pleistocene: Evidence from Experimental Archaeology and Comparative Morphology https://www.researchgate.net/profil...morphology/links/0f31752fd274f10772000000.pdf

from abstract:
The proportions and joint morphology of the Australopithecus afarensis hands are compatible with a variety of grips that should have facilitated habitual and effective manipulation of unmodified stones as tools. Derived human features in the Olduvai hand should have enhanced the control of stones by the thumb and fingers in the same grips. The robusticity of Neandertal hands is consistent with internal forces that are associated with intrinsic muscle control of finger position and with the large, repetitive extrinsic impulsive forces which accompany the wielding of hand-held stone tools.

I posted a picture in this very thread of a hand thought to be 2 million years old and a modern human hand.

Please point out the anatomical differences. I don't want to hear about your empty speculations about what they did with their hands.

See my update which I was copying while you were writing

I see no mention of any significant anatomical differences. Which differences do you think are significant? Are you able to discuss this?

But anyway any changes are extremely minor, the overall anatomical plan is identical. The same number of bones in the same configuration.

We can clearly see that the hand has greatly resisted evolutionary change.

And we are talking about millions of years.

I bolded the part of my answer relating directly to your misinformed statement.

There is nothing bolded that I can see. And there is no misinformation in any of this, except in the people who find it news.

The hand has undergone very little change in 2 million years. The exact same number of bones in the exact same configuration. You couldn't seem to provide one significant difference when asked, instead pointed to some imaginary bolded area. If you know it I wonder why you can't discuss it.

The idea that evolution is ceaseless gradual change is the misinformation here.

It is as much about preserving what works as it is about change.

And systems resist change to a far greater extent than other features, like hair color or skin color or height.

Back
Top Bottom