• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rape victim ordered to pay her abuser child support

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone gets pregnant, they got laid.

So if the father impregnated the daughter when he raped her, you would also write "she got laid?"

It's a yes or no question. Yes or No?
Yes.

"Got laid" is an objective observation.

It's not a value judgement or a moral pronouncement. It's just a statement about reality. "Had sex" and "got laid" are the same thing.
Tom
Being raped and getting laid are not the same thing.
I agree.

They aren't completely different either.
Can we agree upon that?
Tom
Sure sure, "getting your face slammed into a door by an attacker" is totally not different from "bumping one's own head on a door" either. Yep, totally the same thing. No meaningful or implied difference whatsoever.

sure, "getting your face slammed into a door by an attacker" is totally not different from "bumping one's own head on a door" either. Yep, totally the same thing. No meaningful or implied difference whatsoever.
When did you become so homophobic?

Saying she got laid is not a fact because of the connotation of fun and consent.

What?

She got pregnant. Therefore, she got laid.

Is that a question?
Tom
Yep, she totally did it to herself. She got herself laid, and got herself preggers.

This is a level of glossing over rape that floors me.
Come on - this is standard for rape apologists.
Are you referring to me as a "rape apologist"?
Tom

Saying she got laid is not a fact because of the connotation of fun and consent.

What?

Is that a question?
Tom
Yep, she totally did it to herself. She got herself laid, and got herself preggers.

Tom
I am in agreement with this umbrage. That should read "getting laid apologist".

What?

Is that a question?
Tom

Tom
When did you become so heterophobic?

sure, "getting your face slammed into a door by an attacker" is totally not different from "bumping one's own head on a door" either. Yep, totally the same thing. No meaningful or implied difference whatsoever.
What the actual fuck, Tom? This doesn't even remotely make sense.

Are you seriously implying that because I don't think "getting laid" is an appropriate equivocation for "getting raped", I'm somehow homophobic? What the fuck? That kind of implies that homosexuality has close ties to rape somehow.

Would you like a re-do? I really think you ought to take a mulligan on this one.

You know who I feel the worst about in the Abelseth/Barnes thing? The Daughter. She didn't pick any of this, her parents did.

Well, you blamed the mom for everything because she had a fake id, so maybe the daughter had a fake id, too.
He merely ASSUMED Abelseth had a fake id. There's no actual evidence of this, but he assumed it anyway.
He might have assumed it, but there is evidence.

The evidence is that she had an alcoholic drink in her hand.
Extremely weak evidence, but evidence.

Oh well.
Tom
No, that is you making a weak inference.
An inference?
An inference of what exactly?

Are you inferring that she didn't have an alcoholic beverage?

I can't really tell what posters on this thread actually mean. They make vague references to "rape apologist".
Is that me? TomC the serious prude?

@laughing dog referred to someone as rape apologist. He quoted me. I feel sure it was me he described as rape apologist.

But he won't explain.
Tom

What the actual fuck, Tom? This doesn't even remotely make sense.

Are you seriously implying that because I don't think "getting laid" is an appropriate equivocation for "getting raped", I'm somehow homophobic? What the fuck? That kind of implies that homosexuality has close ties to rape somehow.

Would you like a re-do? I really think you ought to take a mulligan on this one.
It implies he is trolling the fuck out of this thread.

There's a problem of chronic underage drinking in Alaska's biggest city, Anchorage. It's home to a joint Army-Air Force base. The soldiers who are of legal age will buy pitchers of beer at restaurants that serve liquor and then slip drinks to their underage buddies. No fake ID required, just friends who can legally purchase alcohol.

Abelseth might have had a fake ID, or she might not have. She might have had several drinks, or just one if it was a Hurricane or some other potent blend. We don't know if she went out drinking regularly or if it was a new experience that ended horribly for her. We don't know much at all about her, and there is no reason to assume the worst.

Oh well.
Tom
An inference?

I can't really tell what posters on this thread actually mean. They make vague references to "rape apologist".

@laughing dog referred to someone as rape apologist. He quoted me. I feel sure it was me he described as rape apologist.

But he won't explain.
Tom
Usually I am too tired to belabor the obvious but I succumb to optimism over experience.

Excusing statutory rape with extraneous facts such as « she was in a bar » or « she had an alcoholic drink » or equating rape with getting laid is rape apologia. People who persist in employing rape apologia or defend its use are reasonably viewed as rape apologists.

Oh well.
Tom
That's not evidence, it's extrapolation. And very very weak extrapolation at that.

When I turned 16, my aunt took me to a fancy french restaurant for dinner. She ordered a glass of wine, then handed it to me after the waiter left, because "a glass of wine is a necessary part of a french dinner". I didn't have a fake ID.

I mean, you're assuming that everybody always follows all the rules EXCEPT for Abelseth. Pretty much your premise, and most of the statements you've made, rest upon the assumption that Abelseth was the liar, the one who broke the rules, the one who did the bad things... and everybody else's decisions were completely the result of Abelseth's dishonesty.

At no point so far have you made a speculative assumption that Barnes was dishonest or a liar or a bad person.

Oh well.
Tom
An inference?

But he won't explain.
Tom
Seriously Tom, framing a person getting raped as "getting laid" is so fucking close to rape apologia that I'm having a really, really hard time telling the difference.

Oh well.
Tom
An inference?

But he won't explain.
Tom
I know you think of yourself as a prude. I don’t see exactly how that makes you unable to understand the concept of statutory rape. Instead you seem to totally buy into the misogynistic notion of females as being deceitful tricksters out to lure unsuspecting men into participating in a heterosexual encounter. And further that this extends to teenage girls luring adult men nearly twice their age into unwise liaisons.

What is known fact:

Abelseth was 16. Barnes was 30. Under Louisiana law, sexual intercourse between them is classified as statutory rape. Legally, he raped her.

You seem to believe her assertion that she was drunk. What is not known is how she obtained the alcohol. It’s relatively easy to do. It’s also relatively easy to spike an unsuspecting person’s drink: She may not have intended to become drunk or to become so drunk she was t able to defend herself. But as a matter of law, because she was drunk, the sex act that occurred was rape. Of course this is impossible to establish at this point in time. A BAC would have needed to be established contemporaneously and it was not.

She asserts that the rape was forcible: she says know and he refused to listen. This also seems impossible to establish st this time unless there is some video of what took place that night. I understand that many will not believe her. Forcible rape is difficult to prove even under the best of circumstances. And is often doubted even with substantial bruising and other physical damage present and documented.

It is very difficult to understand how you could possibly come to the conclusion that there was no rape. The only explanation seems to be misogyny.

Oh well.
Tom
An inference?

Yes, an inference:
minor with alcoholic drink in a bar ==> fake id

TomC said:

As above, you have a belief she had a fake id based upon her drinking in a bar. Louisiana is the state in the US that historically has had the most underage drinking. Yes, minors get fake id's in Louisiana. They also previously in years past had no enforcement of sellers of alcohol getting in trouble for selling alcohol, just the minors (buyers) but that law changed in the 90's. The inertia of unenforced alcohol rules is still there. This is a place of high alcohol use and Mardi Gras. They were the last state to switch from 18 to 21 for alcohol drinking legally and they allow parents to give alcohol to underage offspring, even in a bar. It's a big alcohol culture which has been discussed at length in the thread.

Having an older friend give alcohol, while pretending to be parent would be just one way to get around the rules that are hardly enforced. Bar owner may not enforce the rules either, as previously discussed by quote from a bar owner in Louisiana from 2006, "if you can count to 18, you get a drink."

So, again, your method of getting to a conclusion she had a fake id is weak.

That's not to say she didn't have a fake id. Like I wrote before, there's better evidence of it.

I invite you to use your Google and try to use better reasoning to provide this better evidence to the thread.

TomC said:

No, and that is such a weird and illogical question to ask.

As above, I am saying your reasoning to get to a conclusion of a fake id is not great. There's better evidence out there.

The reason you brought up a fake id is to mitigate the statutory rapist's accountability by placing Abelseth on equal terms as him.

The problem is that 30 year olds in a bar in Louisiana know full well that many persons not 21 use fake id's and other means to illegally drink. It's a giant culture. Therefore, Barnes would not make the inference:
id in a bar ==> of legal age

I remember back in the 90s where I live, different state, it was popular to get a fake college id and use that to get into a bar. Everyone knew about this. They weren't requiring official documentation so that they could pretend to be dumb and make a buck selling the alcohol. Louisiana is much more slowly coming to enforcement of alcohol laws, if at all, and so it was probably a popular thing to do in the 2000's or maybe even now still.

Here is an article that shows, even as late as 2013, underage drinking in Louisiana is an "established culture" and as far as fake id's, "[e]veryone had them." One website made $20 million to $40 million in that enterprise. That shows just how prevalent they were, even later on in the next decade:

So, again, a guy who participated for decades in the culture where underage drinking is prevalent and goes to bars knows full well that an identification in a bar carried by a young person who could pass for any number of years around 16 yo, could easily have a fake id and not be an adult.

Also, as discussed numerous times, humans do not rest conclusions on merely one factor but come to conclusions based on the totality of observations and logic. And when they can't come to a certainty, it's left as a risk or probability.

What?

Is that a question?
Tom

Tom
When did you become so heterophobic?
The word is misogynistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom