• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rationalizing faith.

God is a Big Santa in the sky, offering reward and threatening punishment according to Santanian Rules and conditions. Believe this and eternal life is your present/reward. Failing that, the consequences....

God is a Big Santa in the sky, offering reward and threatening punishment according to Santanian Rules and conditions. Believe this and eternal life is your present/reward. Failing that, the consequences....

You forgot "give $$$."

There is more evidence for Santa and Bigfoot and the Loc Ness Monster than there is for Jesus.

Every Christmas NORAD tracks and reports on Santa flying over the USA. He's on RADAR.

Bigfoot is on video plus eye witnesses reports. It could not possibly be fake.

But Jesus was real, of course. We know from alleged uncorroborated eye witness reports from 2000 years ago. Could not possibly be wrong.

There is more evidence for Santa and Bigfoot and the Loc Ness Monster than there is for Jesus.

Every Christmas NORAD tracks and reports on Santa flying over the USA. He's on RADAR.

But Jesus was real, of course. We know from alleged uncorroborated eye witness reports from 2000 years ago. Could not possibly be wrong.

What about Zeus and His divine family. Mt Olympus is there for anyone to see. Mt Olympus is real. That is the undeniable evidence for the existence of the Greek gods. They exist, they are real.

Not quite sure of the context here? So you mean someone who believes in santa? IF so, whether anyone wants to be judged or not (perhaps some may do, and some may not...), he or she is a santa believer anyway, even if they don't like santa or Xmas, like old Grinchy.
Santa isn't invisible and doesn't live in the sky. He only flies around in the sky because of magic.

The question is about being judged by someone who lacks the cognitive ability to be able to discriminate between comforting religious fantasy from actual reality?

Moogly said:
Do I want to be judged by another person who thinks there is a magic ghost living inside me that is going to be magically assumed into the presence of another magical ghost with superpowers, but only after I'm dead?

That's crazy shit and those are serious questions that rational people have on their minds.

Learner said:
Judged by another person...? Obviously not if you ain't a santa believer.
Lord of the Flies aside, how would a jury of inattentive five-year-olds judge their classmate who tells them Santa is just a story?

What is intriguing from your above post steve is... that it seems you have some criteria "acceptance" for those "witnesses" for santa and Bigfoot and the Loc Ness Monster.

What was the criteria? People have said they've seen or heard God and Jesus all the time, in todays world!!

Based on the criteria below by our friend DBT:

What about Zeus and His divine family. Mt Olympus is there for anyone to see. Mt Olympus is real. That is the undeniable evidence for the existence of the Greek gods. They exist, they are real.

The biblical God seems to be soooo far ahead! Therefore Jesus is da most realest in da whole wile wile world!! I am in awe.

Santa isn't invisible and doesn't live in the sky. He only flies around in the sky because of magic.

The question is about being judged by someone who lacks the cognitive ability to be able to discriminate between comforting religious fantasy from actual reality?

How and in what way would you be in that scenario you describe? Is it in a regular court that you're being judged? Are we talking of a fundamentalist type or someone hearing strange voices in the scenario?

You see, the description above can be a little misleading, which can give a false impression, contrary to the reality that religious people CAN be Judges or Police Detectives, who DO exist, as the job roles requires them to: respect and expect there to be the fairness of judgement from the law etc., in the modern world.

Learner said:
Judged by another person...? Obviously not if you ain't a santa believer.
Lord of the Flies aside, how would a jury of inattentive five-year-olds judge their classmate who tells them Santa is just a story?

I vaguely remember I was told something like that when I was a child. Never affected me or many other children I assume, everywhere through many generations. It's like you just mentioned, "they put the lord of the flies aside" later on.

What is intriguing from your above post steve is... that it seems you have some criteria "acceptance" for those "witnesses" for santa and Bigfoot and the Loc Ness Monster.

What was the criteria? People have said they've seen or heard God and Jesus all the time, in todays world!!

Based on the criteria below by our friend DBT:

The biblical God seems to be soooo far ahead! Therefore Jesus is da most realest in da whole wile wile world!! I am in awe.

More rationalization and diversion.

It all comes down to modern Christians basing a belief in a god constructed by an anent nomadic superstitious tribe. Peole who had no science and knowledge to explain reality. All they had was myth to answer questions and allay fears.

In today's terms they were ignorant, uneducated, superstitions people. WEesee it on a large scale in places like Afghanistan where distorted interpretations of Islam has a violent response to vaccinations, modern health care, and education in science.

Kids raised to memorize the Koran and learning little else.

There are counterparts in American Christianity.

More rationalization and diversion.

Diversion from where to what? Whatever steve.

It all comes down to modern Christians basing a belief in a god constructed by an anent nomadic superstitious tribe. Peole who had no science and knowledge to explain reality. All they had was myth to answer questions and allay fears.

They had the knowledge suffice to understand reality. They could not explain the how and why of Gods existence, only describe events that happened around them. They understood nature, evironment and seasons. Test tubes and TV's not necessary back then, which doesn't imply that the lack of them back then, so to speak, meant they were intellectually stoopid.

In today's terms they were ignorant, uneducated, superstitions people. WEesee it on a large scale in places like Afghanistan where distorted interpretations of Islam has a violent response to vaccinations, modern health care, and education in science.

Kids raised to memorize the Koran and learning little else.

Well I know and hear it said many times of religious & violence, yes these happen...

...AND I've wondered : what's with this religious anti-vax rethoric I often hear (I read it in other places too). I talked to a muslim a few days ago who I ,know, which funny enough has taken his jab and Christian too, but granted some believers I know of haven't, there is no confliction for debate here obviously because secularists are sceptical and undecided too. I would assume there were many thousands of religious and non-religious marching in the London protests a few days ago. This associating the religious (only) with anti-vax rhetoric malarky, it seems just because some religious are against, is nonsense. :rolleyes:

There are counterparts in American Christianity.

Well here's hoping for the best for you.

Last edited:

The bible exists, it is real, the bible tells us that God is real, therefore God is real?

Responding likewise to your previous post, according to you, Zeus is real because of Mount Olympus. The bible has names of places, mountains and valleys and nations and lands and so on.

Christians are like the Energizer Bunny, keeps on drumming. Or the old Times watch commercial, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

The bible exists, it is real, the bible tells us that God is real, therefore God is real?

Responding likewise to your previous post, according to you, Zeus is real because of Mount Olympus. The bible has names of places, mountains and valleys and nations and lands and so on.

Clearly, I wasn't arguing for the existence of Zeus or any God, just pointing out a flawed argument by using gods that were once believed to exist.

The odd thing being, some still do believe in the gods of ancient times, Yahweh, etc, because their holy book tells them to.

Rationalizing.

I know god xists because it is in the bible.
I know the bible is true because god is in it.

Maybe faith is a form of rationale: this is true because I feel it must be true. ''This feels right so it must be true.'' ''I know this is true because it relates to my personal experience with God, Jesus....etc''

The new Stephen King novel has names of real people and places. Does this mean the supernatural stories narrated in the King books are true?

What is the evidence that the supernatural claims on the Bible are true? What is the evidence that the god described in the Bible exists? What is the evidence that Jesus existed, and was resurrected from the dead to fly up into the sky? And why should we believe any of these claims if there is no evidence to support them?

The term is docudrama.

A book or movie loosely based on facts containing embellishments and literary license..

Like movies about Queen Elizabeth or Napoleon, embellished with nudity and sex for audience appeal.

A good example is the old mobie The 10 Coronets. I rmeber it as a kid.

That movie has probably shaped the images of many Christians. Heston as the stoic wooden Moses.

It is all fictional nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom