• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Red light cameras = more traffic congestion

If people didn't drive like fuckwits, the problem being discussed in that paper would not exist in the first place - and given that the solutions presented therein are outside the control of the individual motorist, there is NOTHING there to indicate what driver behaviours are appropriate or effective at minimising congestion and delay.

Unless your grand plan, if stuck in traffic, is to nip out and change the speed limit signs, and/or road markings?

We agree humans are fuckwits by nature. So the problem does exist. They are outside the control of the average motorist, but, we're talking about those motorists familiar with congestion. As I've consistently noted they make the appropriate adjustment given the nature of humans.

As for fixing things, well, take control away from humans. Make them passengers. They are much more comfortable being oassengers. Note browsing habits while walking,driving, talking to the wife. You'll come away with the same conclusion.

There was a time when it was the thing for persons to be in control of machines. No more thank goodness. Human beings designed to act in short order aren't well designed to monitor and process slowly developing situations. If the ideal is to serve efficiency on the roadway remove humans as online decision makers. Replace them with appropriate automation and communication. Put them back to gossiping with others while riding as they obviously are want to do.

Its just that we have this culture thing to overcome. Until humans release control of driving to well designed systems - and they damn sure won't if it were put to a vote - and let them get on with texting and sharing photos with whomever. Its a bit like NC people thinking transgender people are all rapists out to rape their daughters. Perfectly adequate, though a bit expensive, options like lockable individual terlits are available that will eliminate that conscious perception.

So it is with humans driving.

A good engineer would have realized initial conditions include human control and she would not have gone all fluidy genning up an 'ideal' solution, wasting money and time. Rather she would have begun by taking to account human strengths and limitations as controllers of vehicles before designing solutions that won't work with humans in control. Your engineering approach missed the critical human are fuckwits factor and you will get someone to spend billions designing stuff like the bid dig that won't work.

Indeed we can work up those changing signs which will induce humans to act more rationally. We won't because we leave engineers in charge with their wrong headed physical ideals.

As for workload its relative to expectation, a human thing. Humans think they have time for this and that because there are few demands for their immediate attention. So insertion of an unexpected demand (those are anything that happens that isn't casting flowers in front of her) drives workload to very high levels as she adapts from shitting on Trump online to driving her 300 hp killing machine when some fuckwit begins to lane change.

When there is congestion, cameras and traffic signals aren't the problem. Cameras and signals don't cause congestion.

Lately I see lots of drivers running red lights because they know they can, not because of congestion. They know there is time to get thru the intersection even if they enter on a red light. These drivers need to be hit hard with fines and suspensions.

That paper is describing the problem that is caused by traffic being too close together to begin with - if sufficient gaps were being left, a vehicle merging ahead would not disrupt the lane it enters.

It is an accurate description of how engineers can try to cope with the stupidity of people who have swallowed your half-baked theories on traffic flow; But there is nothing so useless as doing, with great efficiency, something that should not be done at all. If people didn't drive like fuckwits, the problem being discussed in that paper would not exist in the first place - and given that the solutions presented therein are outside the control of the individual motorist, there is NOTHING there to indicate what driver behaviours are appropriate or effective at minimising congestion and delay.

Unless your grand plan, if stuck in traffic, is to nip out and change the speed limit signs, and/or road markings?

When the traffic is far enough apart lane changes are harmless--but this arose from the issue of cars jumping into the gap if you leave the proper amount of space. That inherently implies traffic that's too close together and thus renders your argument irrelevant.

When the traffic is far enough apart lane changes are harmless--but this arose from the issue of cars jumping into the gap if you leave the proper amount of space. That inherently implies traffic that's too close together and thus renders your argument irrelevant.

On the Los Angeles freeways, if there is a gap in traffic and you signal that you are going to merge, the other driver will speed up to close the gap.

On the Los Angeles freeways, if there is a gap in traffic and you signal that you are going to merge, the other driver will speed up to close the gap.

That's the mind set of those who hate the traffic cameras.

In another life, I used to drive to New Orleans about 4 times a year for meetings and traffic. I was provided a car, which was usually the smallest Oldsmobile on the lot. New Orleans rush hour traffic is like any other big city, people are jealous of the real estate in front of them and an Oldsmobile Calais gets no respect.

It was different the time I had a Monday meeting, and the person who was supposed to drop off my car could not be found. The only ride I had was my 1966 brown Chevrolet pickup truck. This was not one of those fancy restored showroom sweet trucks. This truck looked like it had worked every day of it's life. Once I was in the bumper to bumper New Orleans traffic, all I had to do was lean over to look in my west coast mirrors and a gap magically appeared in the next lane.

. This truck looked like it had worked every day of it's life. Once I was in the bumper to bumper New Orleans traffic, all I had to do was lean over to look in my west coast mirrors and a gap magically appeared in the next lane.

Yeah, well I took care of big black Ram with lights and chrome everywhere who wanted to play on the freeway. First time he cut in front of me and tapped his brakes I thought he had just made a mistake. He hadn't. He tapped them again. I backed off, began a run at him then, just as he tapped his brakes, I jumped over to the next lane, passed him, made my rear end pop up with my brakes, as I jumped in front of him. He literally shit his pants. He braked so hard he stalled and knocked his stetson off. Last I saw him he was hatless sneaking off the freeway.

People who have $70 k worth of truck shouldn't be playing on somebody else's road if they can't pay the price. Love to do that to people with Texas plates. I don't, but it sounds right. Bet he thought I was one of those freeway shooters.

. This truck looked like it had worked every day of it's life. Once I was in the bumper to bumper New Orleans traffic, all I had to do was lean over to look in my west coast mirrors and a gap magically appeared in the next lane.

Yeah, well I took care of big black Ram with lights and chrome everywhere who wanted to play on the freeway. First time he cut in front of me and tapped his brakes I thought he had just made a mistake. He hadn't. He tapped them again. I backed off, began a run at him then, just as he tapped his brakes, I jumped over to the next lane, passed him, made my rear end pop up with my brakes, as I jumped in front of him. He literally shit his pants. He braked so hard he stalled and knocked his stetson off. Last I saw him he was hatless sneaking off the freeway.

People who have $70 k worth of truck shouldn't be playing on somebody else's road if they can't pay the price. Love to do that to people with Texas plates. I don't, but it sounds right. Bet he thought I was one of those freeway shooters.

You are fortunate he wasn't either.

Well done.

As we all know, two wrongs make a right, and escalating a situation where someone is doing something stupid by doing something dangerously insane is exactly what this world needs more of.

I'm sure that he has learned his lesson, and that you will be able to continue to teach other motorists how to behave (as you are obligated to do) until the day you die (which may be quite soon).

I'm sure that when your wife asks the cops, "How did he die?", she will be so proud to hear that you were killed by being an asshole while trying to teach a stranger a lesson that he didn't learn a thing from.

Well done.

As we all know, two wrongs make a right, and escalating a situation where someone is doing something stupid by doing something dangerously insane is exactly what this world needs more of.

I'm sure that he has learned his lesson, and that you will be able to continue to teach other motorists how to behave (as you are obligated to do) until the day you die (which may be quite soon).

I'm sure that when your wife asks the cops, "How did he die?", she will be so proud to hear that you were killed by being an asshole while trying to teach a stranger a lesson that he didn't learn a thing from.

We all have our moments. That was one of mine. Another is when I got an award for submitting a patent for something that was already patented, machine vision. $500 bucks for ripping off my company's legal department. Whoopie.

I don't wear a collar and I do like to have fun.

You are fortunate he wasn't either.

Not really. Shooters are as likely as a one getting hit by lightning in LA, Still if one has the right 'victim' one can convince the 'victim' of almost anything including gaps are good because they make humans work harder on the freeway or that CCTV is bad because it costs less and it is more effective but it isn't human.

Back
Top Bottom