• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Reductionism

Okay

What reasons given? A growing block universe is what I had in mind when we were in those free will arguments. Nothing changes for my old argument with a growing block universe.

Maybe, but maybe their is also a very large number of "selves" inhabiting this same body, all having their own free will to branch off as they please. I mean it would at least explain the feeling of being singular and unique.

Mate, everyone feels that way. It's obviously not true.

And why isn't it true? If they chose differently and branched off, then they were never really absolutely me.

Because they say the exact same thing about you.

Everyone feels singular and unique. They can't all be right, by definition. It's like that scene in Life of Brian with the whole multitude saying "We're all individuals".

Yes. As I (partially) understand it, maths and (newtownian?) physics treats time 'as if it were just another dimension like the others' and that this works, as in equations come up with the 'right' answers. And that if we differentiate distance we get speed and if we differentiate speed we get acceleration, etc (and integrating gets us the other direction).

But I am clueless as to whether that treatment is merely a pragmatic model of approximation, or as I said before, how much time 'really is' a dimension like the others.

What do you mean, we do not move through time?

'Moving through time' is poetry of a sort. Subjective interpretation of perception and feelings.

We do not move through meters, we move through space distance measured in meters. In relativity a point in space has 4 dimension's relative to a reference frame, (x,y,z,t) meters and seconds. In any inertial frame a meter, second, and kilogram seem the same to a local observer.

If you buy a kilogram of potatoes on one ship at some price per kilogram, on another spaceship it will appear the same.Time and length across frames in motion will appear different to observers in different frames. Sane with time. On one spaceship running a 100 meter race will feel the same on a ship at a different relative velocity. The second appears the same to observers in relative frames with clocks appearing different across frames..
the seconds appear the same? a second in one frame will not seem a second in a non-resting frame. we ARE traveling in time with speed of c.

We are swimming in tine, I prefer a leisurely back stroke.

An 8 hour workday on Earth and a workday on a ship acerbated away to 0.5c will feel the same in both inertial frames when they are at constant but different relative felonies. C will appear the same in both frames, as such the second and meter will appear the same. The clocks will be offset.

And why isn't it true? If they chose differently and branched off, then they were never really absolutely me.

Because they say the exact same thing about you.

They are right, but so am I. Each one of them is different, yet unique and singular.

Everyone feels singular and unique. They can't all be right, by definition. It's like that scene in Life of Brian with the whole multitude saying "We're all individuals".

Even though there is only one tree, the branches are different .

Time in seconds and distance in meters provide knowledge about reality.

A long debate may ensue whether or not meters and seconds are knowledge...

Why should there be a debate? Meters & seconds are measurements, i.e. they are quantitative: items of objective data. Items of objective data are called knowledge.

:confused:
How "a long debate"? Meters and seconds are merely units of measurement like furlongs and fortnights. There could be debates about whether what they are used to measure constitute knowledge but that debate would be independent of the units of measurement used. The units of measurement are by definition - hardly debatable other than possibly which system of units to use.

How "a long debate"? Meters and seconds are merely units of measurement like furlongs and fortnights. There could be debates about whether what they are used to measure constitute knowledge but that debate would be independent of the units of measurement used. The units of measurement are by definition - hardly debatable other than possibly which system of units to use.

I am referring to the tendency for folks here to go off on tangents, like 'knowledge does not exist'. The fact that meters and seconds are units of measure no and dimensions are comprised of units of measure is not accepted by a number of people here. It is scifi influence where 'dimensions' are fictional creations with a separate reality.

I am referring to the tendency for folks here to go off on tangents, like 'knowledge does not exist'. The fact that meters and seconds are units of measure no and dimensions are comprised of units of measure is not accepted by a number of people here. It is scifi influence where 'dimensions' are fictional creations with a separate reality.

Steve, are you the same Steve_bank who posted here years ago? If not sorry, but your posting style recalls this person. If so, forget what I'm about to say, as you will already know.

Many years ago, in ye mistie olden dayes circa 2006 - 2010, we had many people who used to love indulging in that kind of silly debating. You could barely use the word "self", or "I", without being reminded that there IS NO SELF, NO I. We had one Idealist (in love with his recent brush with Berkeley - that's the good Bishop, not the university, for some of you readers and lurkers out there), who insisted that the Moon (our moon) did not exist before there were any beings able to perceive it. The existence of objects were totally perception dependent, and/or mind-dependent.

When I asked this guy (it was a guy) a simple question: "Does the sun exist because you see it, or do you see the sun because it exists?", he got frustrated, and claimed there was no difference between the two queries (or two parts of the same query). Eventually he got upset with everyone (after touting Metzinger's The Ego Tunnel to the point of exhaustion), and either left or morphed into a sock puppet.

We had a long period of pointless discussion in the philosophy fora over trivial and mundane things, pages and pages of it: it would fill volumes. My lengthy posts alone would fill a large book. The redoubtable and indefatigable DBT had an argument (or series of arguments) with one equally indefatigable Togo. Those discussions would fill volumes. Luckily, things don't get that way much anymore.

However, I am keenly interested in the possibility of someone agreeing with that past poster that there is no distinction between the questions:

"Does the sun exist because you see it, or do you see the sun because it exists?"

Metaphysically, a lot can be discovered about how one answers that. It's the difference between objectivism and subjectivism; it's the difference between Aristotle and Plato.

IMhO.

I was steve_bnk...go ahead please tell me more about about my self..

The forum was more lively back then.

I was steve_bnk...go ahead please tell me more about about my self..

The forum was more lively back then.

Nah. I sense hostility. Last thing I need is more sarcasm from members at this haven of "free" thought. If you want entertainment, go and read my next post in the thread about Germaine Greer. It won't be pretty. Little I do here is very pretty, or served up to make myself coddled with feely-goody emotion. The post will take me a while, because there is so much to say, as it will be a response to a video which features murderers and rapists yucking it up at a posh country club called a prison in Norway..

Also, I am unsubbing to this thread. Have a blast trying to find yourself!

So meters and seconds are free floating around in reality without need for minds to make such organizations possible? Wow, steve_bank? Long way to make a point where none exists. Not much exists without a cognizant body there to organize such I think. Try interviewing a tortoise. I don't think it thinks much about such as meters and orbits.

So meters and seconds are free floating around in reality without need for minds to make such organizations possible? Wow, steve_bank? Long way to make a point where none exists. Not much exists without a cognizant body there to organize such I think. Try interviewing a tortoise. I don't think it thinks much about such as meters and orbits.

And I was just beginning to think you were rational afrer all.

I like to distinguish between physical existence and mental existence. Makes my use of operations seem more usable.

On the other hand you are right. I'm not rational. I'm an empirically definable entity that has evolved to be able to use evidence inductively rather than need to employ presumptions deductively and to know the difference between the two approaches.

We don't hook think we should hook kittens up to milkers just becuase thery have milk glands do we?

My problem is with the word "sum", implying merely additive effects without interactive effects that only emerge when two or more parts come together in a particular way under certain conditions.

It is more than semantics. It highlights one of the problems with radical methodological reductionism where each variable is isolated to determine its effects on its own, without also putting variables/parts together in specific combinations to see if new effects emerge or old one's are modified.

My problem is with the word "sum", implying merely additive effects without interactive effects that only emerge when two or more parts come together in a particular way under certain conditions.

It is more than semantics. It highlights one of the problems with radical methodological reductionism where each variable is isolated to determine its effects on its own, without also putting variables/parts together in specific combinations to see if new effects emerge or old one's are modified.

A car has many parts. It is difficult to design the engine, transmission, rear end, and brakes. Reduction reduces them to separate designs made to testable specification's that ensure all parts work together. We say the car is the sum of the functional components.

More generally reductionism is an expression of causality and the Laws Of Thermodynamics.

In any system be it a car or a system of quantum particles causality must always apply. An effect within any system boundary can not occur without a causal link in the system. Otherwise you have something from nothing.

Reductionism is a technique to simplifying analysis by breaking down a complex system into manageable subsections with defined causal inputs and outputs.

A car has many parts. It is difficult to design the engine, transmission, rear end, and brakes. Reduction reduces them to separate designs made to testable specification's that ensure all parts work together. We say the car is the sum of the functional components.

More generally reductionism is an expression of causality and the Laws Of Thermodynamics.

In any system be it a car or a system of quantum particles causality must always apply. An effect within any system boundary can not occur without a causal link in the system. Otherwise you have something from nothing.

Reductionism is a technique to simplifying analysis by breaking down a complex system into manageable subsections with defined causal inputs and outputs.

Let's apply that wonderful technique to the problem of subjective experience. It should work wonders.

Otherwise you have something from nothing.
EB

Back
Top Bottom