• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Religious Insanities

Aspects of what people say they experience as religion in a non religious context would be called mental illness.

I don't think it's as black and white as that. More like a spectrum. The same crazy idea expressed by the manifestly insane person screaming on the street corner, can garner murmurs of assent, and even huge numbers of "amen"s if held out to huge crowds by a preacher. The acceptability of an idea, no matter how fantastic or ridiculous, can only be measured by the number of people accepting it.

cult.jpg

Aspects of what people say they experience as religion in a non religious context would be called mental illness.

I don't think it's as black and white as that. More like a spectrum. The same crazy idea expressed by the manifestly insane person screaming on the street corner, can garner murmurs of assent, and even huge numbers of "amen"s if held out to huge crowds by a preacher. The acceptability of an idea, no matter how fantastic or ridiculous, can only be measured by the number of people accepting it.
I think that's his point. If it wasn't religion, it'd be somewhere on the spectrum.

I read a memoir of somenoe suffering 'religiosity.' It's a form of OCD where the patient creates a number of involved behaviors that must be followed in order to appease God. Feed the dog 25 times a day or my family will die, turn the light switch on and off when entering a room or God will destroy the crops, that sort of thing.
It appears to present quite often in young women of Jewish heritage. Sadly, this means it often goes undiagnosed because her parents just figure she went orthodox.
Read this and then read through Leviticus. It's an abomination to God to trim your beard? Eating baby goats is okay unless you used it's mom's milk to cook it? God cares about mixing wool and cotton clothes?

I read a memoir of someone suffering 'religiosity.' It's a form of OCD where the patient creates a number of involved behaviors that must be followed in order to appease God. Feed the dog 25 times a day or my family will die, turn the light switch on and off when entering a room or God will destroy the crops, that sort of thing.
It appears to present quite often in young women of Jewish heritage. Sadly, this means it often goes undiagnosed because her parents just figure she went orthodox.
Read this and then read through Leviticus. It's an abomination to God to trim your beard? Eating baby goats is okay unless you used it's mom's milk to cook it?

I'm having a hard time understanding that post. Each line rings a bell but doesn't all comport with my experience with young women from Jewish families. It could be that such experience would be from some half century back... but if you're talking about some culturally inbred habit pattern, that shouldn't matter, right?

God cares about mixing wool and cotton clothes?

I think that's only after labor day.

Also:
Eating baby goats is okay unless you used it's mom's milk

Its is a possessive form of the pronoun it, meaning belonging to it. It's is a contraction of the words it is or it has
goddammit!

I'm having a hard time understanding that post. Each line rings a bell but doesn't all comport with my experience with young women from Jewish families. It could be that such experience would be from some half century back... but if you're talking about some culturally inbred habit pattern, that shouldn't matter, right?
I have no experience with Jewish families, i'm pretty much quoting the author of the memoirs.
It's a very rare form of OCD, but of the very few people that it does show up in, tend to be among a specific demographic.
I read a memoir of someone suffering 'religiosity.' It's a form of OCD where the patient creates a number of involved behaviors that must be followed in order to appease God. Feed the dog 25 times a day or my family will die, turn the light switch on and off when entering a room or God will destroy the crops, that sort of thing.
Read this and then read through Leviticus. It's an abomination to God to trim your beard? Eating baby goats is okay unless you used it's mom's milk to cook it?

I'm having a hard time understanding that post. Each line rings a bell but doesn't all comport with my experience with young women from Jewish families. I
I dunno, i have no experience with Jewish families. I was pretty much just quoting the memoirs. I guess it's a very rare condition, but of the sufferers, they're mostly within a certain group.

And your write, of course, I'm sorry.

They look so happy...in the toxic foam...

yamuna-pollution-india-07-gty-rc-180925_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg

Makes me think of Prince ...

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only wanted one time to see you laughing
In the toxic foam

Toxic foam toxic foam,
Toxic foam toxic foam,
Toxic foam toxic foam,
I only want to see you
Bathing in the toxic foam

I don't find it even remotely creditable to suppose that adopting or rejecting a label can either instigate or cure mental illness. Rather, what I would expect is that mental challenges are experienced by religious and non-religious persons in roughly similar proportions by population, but that religious people are much more likely to interpret ecstatic experiences as being supernatural in character.

Is it good or bad for mental "illness" to be interpreted as a religious experience? I see both pros and cons here. If this belief leads people to eschew clinical psychiatric care, this could be a very bad thing, particularly in the case of illnesses on the schizoid or paranoid spectra that are easily controlled by medication. On the other hand, mental illness is often associated with heavy stigma in secular society, whereas religion can provide context and narrative to "abnormal" experiences, giving someone a strong sense of understanding what is happening to them and what to do about it (however much you might disagree with the scientifiic accuracy of this framing, a factor which does not affect the efficacy of such a belief) while also reducing the likelihood that others in the community will reject or isolate the sufferer. In cases of more common mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety-spectrum disorders, there is strong evidence that participation in religious communities can greatly benefit treatment, especially in cases where both modern medicines and religious counseling are being employed. People place a strong degree of trust in religious leaders, and this could conceivably have a net positive effect if it makes them more likely to seek care in the first place. Even if it is through pastoral counseling rather than professional care, therapeutic conversations are beneficial, and in the modern world most religious professionals will urge a seriously challenged individual to seek out formal psychiatric care where needed.

Aspects of what people say they experience as religion in a non religious context would be called mental illness. Hearing voices telling them what to do.

Is it mental illness, or people performing normative aspects of their culture like they do with everything else?

In the news, another killing over blasphemy in Pakistan. Pakistan where people proving vaccination have been killed.

Someone from Sri Lanka workng in Pakistan killed for a perceived insult to Mohamed.

Ooops. Somedbody already hd a thread on baptism.

Back
Top Bottom