• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rep. Gosar Faces Censure for AOC Murder Video, Refuses to Apologize. Sister Calls Him a "Sociopath."

I checked House Committee on Oversight and Reform and Paul Gosar is gone from it. However, Home | The House Committee on Natural Resources does not look updated.

Why Paul Gosar thinks he is a winner - CNNPolitics
Now look at him. For the base, Gosar is suddenly a hero of free speech and the antidote to Democrats' pursuit of cancel culture and wokeness.

That sentiment was everywhere in the floor debate over Gosar's censure on Wednesday.

"House Democrats have broken nearly every rule and standard in order to silence dissidents and pass their radical agenda," said House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy. Texas Rep. Chip Roy accused Democrats of "chilling debate" with the censure motion. "What scares me most about this is the attack on the freedom of speech from the Left this year," said high profile conservative Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio.
Seems like they are describing what they would do if they could.

Being stripped of one's committees will make one very ineffective in Congress.
That line of thinking, however, presumes that the goal of a Member of Congress is to, you know get stuff done. That is NOT in fact the goal of Greene and plenty of Republicans elected in the Trump years to the House. Their goal is to be someone -- ideally a major figure on the state television of the right (Fox News), which can lead to lucrative books deals, speaklng engagements and maybe a plum lobbying job when they get out of Congress.
Madison Cawthorn, for instance.
"I have built my staff around comms rather than legislation," wrote Cawthorn -- meaning that he is spending a lot more time and energy on building a communications operation that will get him known outside of the halls of Congress than he is in putting together a staff that can help him actually do the hard work of legislating.

Paul Gosar said Trump called to support him after being censured for his anime video showing him attacking AOC
noting
This Week With With Gosar

He called himself a victim, supposedly a right-wing no-no.
The radical Left, led by Nancy Pelosi, continued its attack on free speech and marched forward with steadfast determination to cancel anyone who disagrees with their Marxist agenda. Their target this week? Yours truly. Turns out that I am the man the Democrats fear the most. Why? For standing up to the Biden administration’s open border immigration policies and plans to grant amnesty tens of millions of illegal aliens hiding in our country. More on that later in the newsletter.

On Wednesday, House Democrats voted to censure, or more appropriately, censor me because of a silly cartoon depicting the invasion along the southern border and the Left’s dangerous quest for amnesty for millions of lawbreakers. Everyone who actually watched the cartoon knows that it was not real and that there is no actual threat, or even a perceived threat, to anyone. House Democrats, always ready to be triggered by the latest fake offense, never bothered to watch the video. Their minds were made up long before they voted to silence me.

Did you know? I was not allowed a hearing to defend myself. I was not allowed to play the cartoon to the members of Congress, most of whom had never seen it. Thus, they voted on something they hadn’t seen.

My entire Republican conference was united in support of me and voted against this political stunt. I am incredibly grateful to Leader McCarthy and everyone who stood up and spoke on my behalf. After the vote, President Trump phoned me to personally thank me for standing up in support of the America First agenda.

House members decry 'toxic' atmosphere in Congress among lawmakers - CNNPolitics
Many members within the House of Representatives have told CNN in recent days that they find themselves in a toxic work environment, wrought with bitter exchanges, threats and fears about what the erosion of decorum in the chamber will mean for a body that has still not recovered 10 months after the Capitol Hill riot.
While reluctant to mention that it's mostly Republicans doing it, even though it's very evident from the article.
As he took his punishment in the well of the House, he was surrounded by a group of colleagues rushing to his defense. His leadership never came to the floor to admonish him, only attacking the process Democrats were using.

As he took his punishment in the well of the House, he was surrounded by a group of colleagues rushing to his defense. His leadership never came to the floor to admonish him, only attacking the process Democrats were using.

Rep. Lauren Boebert, a Republican from Colorado, defended Gosar on the floor by calling some of her progressive Democratic colleagues the "Jihad squad," a term she defended to CNN on Friday.

"It is shocking to me that Leader McCarthy would stand for eight and a half hours spewing disinformation about a bill that is for the American people and yet not speak a word about the atrocity of his own member putting out a video that glorifies the murder of a colleague and threatens violence against the President of the United States," said Rep. Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania. "I don't know where the next basement is."

"January 6th made things so much worse. I was on the floor that day. That was a forever life-changing moment on a personal level, but it was also a moment that changed Congress," Rep. Cheri Bustos, a Democrat from Illinois, told CNN. "It started with the incessant lies that weren't challenged and were amplified to January 6th to a member of Congress threatening lives of friends and colleagues."

And those are just the security threats. A massive battle over Covid-19 has only exasperated the divisions. A handful of conservative members regularly defy the House speaker's mask mandate, racking up thousands of dollars in fines while some members publicly admit they aren't getting vaccinated.

In a series of interviews with Republicans, many downplayed the divisions outright or blamed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for setting the wrong tone when she announced all members would need to walk through metal detectors to get to the House floor after the insurrection.

"I believe it is a consolidation of power in the Speaker's office in the House and an abuse of power by the Speaker because she has one-party control and she is completely shutting down the voices of the minority and hiding behind Covid to accomplish it," Rep. Cathy McMorris Rogers, a Republican from Washington state, told CNN.
Like cops and courts and prisons? Right-wingers often act like they believe that cops and judges and jailers are all vigilantes, even as they go hysterical over any attempts to deprive them of any government money.

Rep. Chip Roy, a Republican from Texas who advocated ahead of January 6 to certify the electoral college results, told CNN that part of the problem is that members have not moved on from January 6th.

"People here need to get thicker skin," Roy said. "At some point here, you gotta let some things roll."

Asked if he was including the insurrection in the things that people needed to let "roll," Roy said "people here have got to get thicker skin about representing the people and doing their job and not making everything personal on the floor of the House."
He escaped being lynched that day, and many of his fellow Republicans cowered in offices and safe spots as the attacks happened, Republicans likely including CR himself. Now he's seeming like he would have been happy to have been lynched that day.

"Congressman Boebert referred to us as the 'Jihad squad' on the House floor. What that does is it empowers and inspires people who want to do us harm, to actually go and do that harm. She is on the House floor spewing 'Jihad squad,' " Rep. Jamaal Bowman said. "I feel safe, but it is incredibly concerning that she is speaking this way and we have to respond to that in some way."
There isn't anything on the Democratic side, nobody among them saying that many Republicans are in the pay of Vladimir Putin.

AOC:
"It is not just because they dislike me as a person. In fact, I have had many a Republican come to me on the House floor and say 'I tell folks back home that while I don't agree with you, I think you are a quite kind person.' I have had Republicans come up to me after the 6th, one of them even weeping and with guilt over what happened," Ocasio-Cortez said. "So for some ... publicly, this is a performance. But it is also personal because I cannot separate myself from my gender, I cannot separate myself of how I was born, so their hatred of non-White people, their hatred of women is a hatred of me."
Did those R's include Nancy Mace? She cowered in her office, then later accused AOC of drama queening.

Since 1832, there have been 20 representatives censured in the US House ( List_of_United_States_representatives_expelled,_censured,_or_reprimanded) of which 7 (including Gosar) have come from after the Great Depression. The Wiki link has the names and the offenses. Compare the offenses with Gosar - they are much more tangible and real.
Man, Rep. Preston resigned and got re-elected almost immediately (less than two moneys) in special election after beating Rep. Sumner. No censure or expulsion for him. I don't know if the historical bar is what we are looking to emulate. ;)

The video is just a video, it isn't a direct threat. So he did not commit a crime, excluding against anime. However, it is an escalation of poor decorum and the GOP reacted with shrugged shoulders. The alt-right is on edge. They think elections are being stolen, evil vaccines are being distributed, etc... This sort of material, especially from an elected Representative adds gas to the fire, and normalizes depicted violence against a sitting representative, and arguably the President.

Nancy Pelosi isn't some wild politician, and it is doubtful she took this up lightly. What Rep. Gosar put forth was grossly unprofessional, and I can see an argument for getting his hand slapped. If you or I did something likewise where we work, do you think that doesn't get the upper brass taking us into their office? I've seen people fired for less.

The video is just a video, it isn't a direct threat. So he did not commit a crime, excluding against anime.
If he had committed a crime, it should become a police matter. One would like to imagine a higher bar for Member of Congress than just "is not currently serving a term in penitentiary."

Man, Rep. Preston Brooks resigned and got re-elected almost immediately (less than two moneys) in special election after beating Rep. Senator Sumner. No censure or expulsion for him. I don't know if the historical bar is what we are looking to emulate. ;)

This is only the second mention (at this MB) of the  Caning of Charles Sumner since January (when I mentioned it). It deserves to be better known. Someone (lpetrich?) recently compared the present politics to the 1850's just before the Civil War. I agree that there are big similarities. (And important differences: Instead of state-vs-state warfare, expect to see random local attacks based on skin color, or in response to political bumper-stickers.)

In the May 22, 1856 episode, Preston Brooks, Democratic Representative from South Carolina, entered the Senate Chamber and attacked Charles Sumner, Republican Senator from Massachusetts. Brooks pounded Sumner several times on the head with his thick gold-headed gutta-percha cane. This was no playful slap; the first blow blinded and incapacitated Sumner who was then unable to defend himself. Sumner was almost killed, but 3 years later was able to resume his seat in the Senate. The voters of Massachusetts showed their support by re-electing him shortly after the attack, when he was physically unable to vote on their behalf.
William Cullen Bryant of the New York Evening Post, asked, "Has it come to this, that we must speak with bated breath in the presence of our Southern masters?... Are we to be chastised as they chastise their slaves? Are we too, slaves, slaves for life, a target for their brutal blows, when we do not comport ourselves to please them?" Thousands attended rallies in support of Sumner in Boston, Albany, Cleveland, Detroit, New Haven, New York, and Providence. More than a million copies of Sumner's speech were distributed. Two weeks after the caning, Ralph Waldo Emerson described the divide the incident represented: "I do not see how a barbarous community and a civilized community can constitute one state. I think we must get rid of slavery, or we must get rid of freedom."

Conversely, Brooks was praised by Southern newspapers. The Richmond Enquirer editorialized that Sumner should be caned "every morning," praising the attack as "good in conception, better in execution, and best of all in consequences" and denounced "these vulgar abolitionists in the Senate" who "have been suffered to run too long without collars. They must be lashed into submission." Southerners sent Brooks hundreds of new canes in endorsement of his assault. One was inscribed "Hit him again."

By the very next day, news of the attack on Sumner had reached Kansas, epicenter of slavery-vs-freedom violence. On the evening of May 23 my ancestor John Brown responded by directing extrajudicial executions of five ruffians who had been involved in the murders of anti-slavery Kansans. I find it dreadfully ironic that, led by apologists for racism, this great American martyr is often called "crazy" or a "murderer," while the caning of Charles Sumner is almost forgotten.

Let me again plug John Brown, the biography by David S. Reynolds. He points out that both North and South regarded themselves as descendants of Puritans and Cavaliers, and viewed the English Civil War as metaphor for their own conflict.

I'll never understand why conservatives are always posting links without first reading them to make sure they actually concur with their argument. As your link very clearly indicates, the most common category of censures have been on the charge of "unparliamentary language", which Rep. Gosar is very clearly and unashamedly guilty of for this and other incidents. So this incident, in fact, closely mirrors existing precedent. In fact, nearly every current Republican legislator (and quite a few Democrats) are guilty of using unparliamentary language by the traditional definition of that term, which includes among other things openly accusing your political opponents of lying. This behavior has become troublingly common on the House floor this past decade.

The very first use of censure was for "insulting the Speaker of the House." Can you imagine? God I miss the days when some level of decorum was expected of public figures.
Since 1832 there have been 20 censured in the House. Since 1979, there have 7 censured - all for much worse offenses. The last censure for language of any type was in 1921 - 100 years ago. It must be a shock to all those eaters of watercress sandwiches with the crusts removed, but times have fucking changed.
If you like, but your "evidence" is still nonsense; the only thing I can conclude is that you were hoping no one would actually look at the link.
History is not nonsense. But your response is.
And "much worse offenses" is a bit subjective, if I may say. Both tax fraud and death threats are illegal, but tax fraud is usually a misdemeanor unless it succeeds in wholesale tax evasion (usually difficult to prove), whereas threatening to kill an elected official is in all cases an actual felony under 18 U.S.C. § 871. More subjectively, I'd be personally feel a lot more comfortable learning that a colleague had committed tax fraud than that they had threatened to murder me. I guess you really love your income taxes? More than your own life? In any case, I disagree with the differential evaluarion of severity that is being proposed.

I do agree that sexual assault of a minor is a more serious crime than threatening to kill an elected official, but at this point our sample size is two, and your claim at that point basically amounts to "unless the offense is as or more serious than the single most serious offense previously censured within the last fifty years, no action should be taken", which I most certainly would not agree to.
Your response is based on a false premise - that Gosar actually threatened to kill an elected official - which makes your analysis nothing more a waste of bandwidth.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is engaging is colossal intentional ignorance. Who,over the age of five, would not understand what it means when an agressor paints an image of themselves murdering you?
I bow to your demonstrated expertise on intentional ignorance.
So you ironically bow and scrape? so what?
such a video would be a firing offence in most work places.

These Republiotards have turned into self-caricatures. If SNL made a skit ridiculing her they'd not need a writer: Just use her actual words.

Was it "necessary" to give offense? I guess so; she just thought it was unnecessary for others to complain. And her "apology" sounds like the "If I gave offense" formula calculated to increase the offense but with her scriptwriter managing to get rid of the IF.

But what's most amusing is the babble about "policy." Sheeezh. These sociopaths brag when they're stripped of committee assignments; for them policy study is a distraction from "communication"; Congress is just a platform for them to broadcast their vile and banal venom.

I'll never understand why conservatives are always posting links without first reading them to make sure they actually concur with their argument. As your link very clearly indicates, the most common category of censures have been on the charge of "unparliamentary language", which Rep. Gosar is very clearly and unashamedly guilty of for this and other incidents. So this incident, in fact, closely mirrors existing precedent. In fact, nearly every current Republican legislator (and quite a few Democrats) are guilty of using unparliamentary language by the traditional definition of that term, which includes among other things openly accusing your political opponents of lying. This behavior has become troublingly common on the House floor this past decade.

The very first use of censure was for "insulting the Speaker of the House." Can you imagine? God I miss the days when some level of decorum was expected of public figures.
Since 1832 there have been 20 censured in the House. Since 1979, there have 7 censured - all for much worse offenses. The last censure for language of any type was in 1921 - 100 years ago. It must be a shock to all those eaters of watercress sandwiches with the crusts removed, but times have fucking changed.
If you like, but your "evidence" is still nonsense; the only thing I can conclude is that you were hoping no one would actually look at the link.
History is not nonsense. But your response is.
And "much worse offenses" is a bit subjective, if I may say. Both tax fraud and death threats are illegal, but tax fraud is usually a misdemeanor unless it succeeds in wholesale tax evasion (usually difficult to prove), whereas threatening to kill an elected official is in all cases an actual felony under 18 U.S.C. § 871. More subjectively, I'd be personally feel a lot more comfortable learning that a colleague had committed tax fraud than that they had threatened to murder me. I guess you really love your income taxes? More than your own life? In any case, I disagree with the differential evaluarion of severity that is being proposed.

I do agree that sexual assault of a minor is a more serious crime than threatening to kill an elected official, but at this point our sample size is two, and your claim at that point basically amounts to "unless the offense is as or more serious than the single most serious offense previously censured within the last fifty years, no action should be taken", which I most certainly would not agree to.
Your response is based on a false premise - that Gosar actually threatened to kill an elected official - which makes your analysis nothing more a waste of bandwidth.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is engaging is colossal intentional ignorance. Who,over the age of five, would not understand what it means when an agressor paints an image of themselves murdering you?
I bow to your demonstrated expertise on intentional ignorance.
So you ironically bow and scrape? so what?
such a video would be a firing offence in most work places.
So what? That particular workplace did not think it was an expulsion offense.
Since 1832, there have been 20 representatives censured in the US House ( List_of_United_States_representatives_expelled,_censured,_or_reprimanded) of which 7 (including Gosar) have come from after the Great Depression. The Wiki link has the names and the offenses. Compare the offenses with Gosar - they are much more tangible and real.
Man, Rep. Preston resigned and got re-elected almost immediately (less than two moneys) in special election after beating Rep. Sumner. No censure or expulsion for him. I don't know if the historical bar is what we are looking to emulate. ;)

The video is just a video, it isn't a direct threat. So he did not commit a crime, excluding against anime. However, it is an escalation of poor decorum and the GOP reacted with shrugged shoulders. The alt-right is on edge. They think elections are being stolen, evil vaccines are being distributed, etc... This sort of material, especially from an elected Representative adds gas to the fire, and normalizes depicted violence against a sitting representative, and arguably the President.

Nancy Pelosi isn't some wild politician, and it is doubtful she took this up lightly. What Rep. Gosar put forth was grossly unprofessional, and I can see an argument for getting his hand slapped. If you or I did something likewise where we work, do you think that doesn't get the upper brass taking us into their office? I've seen people fired for less.
In most places, unless the perpetrator was fired, any discipline or reprimand would be private.

The video is incredibly stupid and vile from anyone. One would expect better from someone in Congress in the past, but no longer. This censure accomplishes nothing of substance. It allows Gosar to play the victim to the knuckle-draggers and gives more fodder to the GOP when they return to power in the House (which is likely to happen next year) to do after some Democrat(s). And they will play tit for tat.

I think Pelosi was throwing a bone to the more strident members in her caucus. I think this action was more about holding the Democrats together than anything else.

Frankly, if Pelosi and the Democrats really thought this was a real threat, they should have expelled Gosar. The fact that they did not suggests to me that this was more a publicity stunt than anything else.

Frankly, if Pelosi and the Democrats really thought this was a real threat, they should have expelled Gosar. The fact that they did not suggests to me that this was more a publicity stunt than anything else.
Except that expulsion requires 2/3 of the House. Do you think that she could have gotten the necessary number of Republicans to vote for it?

Censure only requires a majority.

Except that expulsion requires 2/3 of the House. Do you think that she could have gotten the necessary number of Republicans to vote for it?

Censure only requires a majority.
It is the effort that counts.

Rep. Ilhan Omar Statement on Conversation with Rep. Lauren Boebert | Representative Ilhan Omar
November 29, 2021
Press Release

WASHINGTON—Today, Rep. Ilhan Omar released the following statement after she spoke with Rep. Lauren Boebert.

“Today, I graciously accepted a call from Rep. Lauren Boebert in the hope of receiving a direct apology for falsely claiming she met me in an elevator, suggesting I was a terrorist, and for a history of anti-Muslim hate. Instead of apologizing for her Islamophobic comments and fabricated lies, Rep. Boebert refused to publicly acknowledge her hurtful and dangerous comments. She instead doubled down on her rhetoric and I decided to end the unproductive call.

“I believe in engaging with those we disagree with respectfully, but not when that disagreement is rooted in outright bigotry and hate.

“To date, the Republican Party leadership has done nothing to condemn and hold their own members accountable for repeated instances of anti-Muslim hate and harassment. This is not about one hateful statement or one politician; it is about a party that has mainstreamed bigotry and hatred. It is time for Republican Leader McCarthy to actually hold his party accountable.”
She continued with "Rep. Omar is subject to routine death threats and plots on her life, often responding to anti-Muslim rhetoric." and she described LB's history of bigoted remarks about Muslim politicians.

PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "In May, when asked about Ilhan Omar and AOC, Lauren Boebert called them “full time propagandists …for state sponsored terrorism,” and supporters of “politicians with suicide belts strapped their body.” (vid link)" / Twitter

Lauren Boebert on Twitter: ".@IlhanMN should decide whether she wants to be a Congresswoman or a full-time propagandist for Hamas. Why are her fellow Democrats so silent about her disgraceful comments?" / Twitter

Lauren Boebert on Twitter: "If @AOC, @IlhanMN & @RashidaTlaib think their job is to lobby for Hamas they need to register as foreign agents.
They should be representing their districts. They can Google them if they’ve forgotten.
But with the leadership vacuum in Hamas, maybe they're applying for new jobs?" / Twitter

Lauren Boebert on Twitter: "Ilhan Omar, honorary member of Hamas, just compared the US military with the Taliban.
Sadly, it’s not even surprising anymore.
We have terrorist sympathizers in Congress and it is being normalized by the MSM." / Twitter

GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert and husband have racked up arrests
"Rep. Lauren Boebert, the gun-toting freshman Republican Colorado congresswoman who ran on a law-and-order platform, has had several dust-ups with police, starting as a teenager."

Colorado's Lauren Boebert has a history of minor arrests, court no-shows

LB Rapsheet Full - what she was charged with

Another video shows Lauren Boebert suggesting Ilhan Omar was terrorist - CNNPolitics
Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado suggested to a crowd in September that Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, whom she called "black-hearted" and "evil," was a terrorist.

The video of Boebert's anti-Muslim comments, made in New York at a September Staten Island Conservative Party dinner, were posted on Facebook that month by an attendee running for borough president.

"One of my I staffers, on his first day with me, got into an elevator in the Capitol. And in that elevator, we were joined by Ilhan Omar," Boebert told the crowd in September. "It was just us three in there and I looked over and I said, well, lookey there, it's the Jihad Squad.

"She doesn't have a backpack, she wasn't dropping it and running so we're good," Boebert adds, through laughter and applause from the crowd which briefly makes her remarks somewhat inaudible.

"Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib. These are just black-hearted evil women," Boebert said.
LB and IO had a phone conversation.
"Instead of apologizing for her Islamophobic comments and fabricated lies, Rep. Boebert refused to publicly acknowledge her hurtful and dangerous comments," she said. "She instead doubled down on her rhetoric and I decided to end the unproductive call."

A spokesperson for Omar called the elevator story "a fabrication."

n her statement blasting Boebert on Monday, Omar said Boebert had "a clear pattern for Islamophobic hate speech," and cited the local press write up of the September event and comments where Boebert called Omar "a full-time propagandist for Hamas" and she said Omar was an "honorary member of Hamas" and that we have "terrorist sympathizers" in Congress.

"It just gets worse," Omar told CNN. "This is unhinged, and she continues to be emboldened by her party. This is their brand and it's dangerous."
How LB describes IO and RT could easily be said of LB herself, because she is very vile and hateful toward the two women. It says something about the House Republican leadership that they are unwilling to discipline LB or Paul Gosar.

andrew kaczynski on Twitter: "NEW: Another video shows Lauren Boebert suggesting Ilhan Omar was a terrorist at an event in September.

"I said, well, lookey there, it's the Jihad Squad...She doesn't have a backpack, she wasn't dropping it and running so we're good," Boebert said. (links)" / Twitter

Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: ".@NancyMace is the trash in the GOP Conference.
Never attacked by Democrats or RINO’s (same thing) because she is not conservative, she’s pro-abort.
Mace you can back up off of @laurenboebert or just go hang with your real gal pals, the Jihad Squad.
Your out of your league." / Twitter

Nancy Mace Calls Out Lauren Boebert Over Anti-Muslim Attack
I have time after time condemned my colleagues on both sides of the aisle for racist tropes and remarks that I find disgusting and this is no different than any others. As a member of Congress and seeing such division in our country, we all have a responsibility, both elected members of Congress on both sides of the aisle and the American people in our communities and at work in our communities and everything else to lower–we have a responsibility to lower the temperature and this does not do that.

... When asked by Collins if she condemns Boebert’s comments, Mace said, “Oh absolutely, 100 percent.”
Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "Mace fits right in on @CNN (link)" / Twitter

Back
Top Bottom