• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republicans 2020

Weld warns of Republican Party split, Democratic takeover of Senate | TheHill - warning that the Republican Party may split and lose the Senate if it keeps doing what it's now doing.
Weld, a former Massachusetts governor, also said if the GOP persists in their efforts, “The emperor has a wonderful suit of new clothes, I think the Republicans will lose the Senate and we’ll have a Democratic Senate and House next year.”
That would be a disaster for a re-elected Trump, but a catastrophe for the US.
On the contrary, the Democrats getting the Senate would be a good counterbalance to a re-elected Trump. He needs to have some setback where he doesn't get bailed out.

From day one, it would be impeachment. Surely the Americans wouldn't be the dumb Yankees many think they are for voting for such an unworkable shambles.

Presidential candidates, 2020 - Ballotpedia - Donald Trump has two challengers, Bill Weld and Roque 'Rocky' de la Fuente, but only Trump has gotten delegates so far.

Super Tuesday 2020: Who is Trump opponent Bill Weld? - al.com - Mar 3 - the most recent article in Google News's aggregation of news articles

Boston Globe endorses Trump's GOP challenger Bill Weld | TheHill - Feb 26

Bill Weld says in Utah that he has ‘moral duty’ to offer Republicans a ballot alternative to Trump - The Salt Lake Tribune - Feb 21

To date, Bill Weld has gotten only 1 delegate, as opposed to Trump's 1,072 delegates. One has to ask where all the "Never Trump" Republicans have gone, because he seems like a good candidate for them.

Roque 'Rocky' de la Fuente has only 4 articles in Google News, and he has no delegates to date.

Presidential candidates, 2020 - Ballotpedia - Donald Trump has two challengers, Bill Weld and Roque 'Rocky' de la Fuente, but only Trump has gotten delegates so far.

Super Tuesday 2020: Who is Trump opponent Bill Weld? - al.com - Mar 3 - the most recent article in Google News's aggregation of news articles

Boston Globe endorses Trump's GOP challenger Bill Weld | TheHill - Feb 26

Bill Weld says in Utah that he has ‘moral duty’ to offer Republicans a ballot alternative to Trump - The Salt Lake Tribune - Feb 21

To date, Bill Weld has gotten only 1 delegate, as opposed to Trump's 1,072 delegates. One has to ask where all the "Never Trump" Republicans have gone, because he seems like a good candidate for them.

Roque 'Rocky' de la Fuente has only 4 articles in Google News, and he has no delegates to date.

Yea, that is called the eleventh commandment: republicans shalt not speak ill of any fellow republican". Republicans are so much smarter than dems!

Another one bites the dust. Bill Weld suspends Republican presidential campaign - CNNPolitics
"Leading this movement is one of the greatest honors of my life, and I will always be indebted to all who have played a part," he said Wednesday.

"But while I am suspending my candidacy," Weld continued, "I want to be clear that I am not suspending my commitment to the nation and to the democratic institutions that set us apart."

The only remaining Republican other than Trump is Roque "Rocky" de la Fuente:
Roque De La Fuente for President 2020
Roque De La Fuente presidential campaign, 2020 - Ballotpedia

Roque de la Fuente seems to have joined another party.

I checked his campaign page,
Roque De La Fuente for President 2020
and under "Press Release", I found:

March 28: LAST MAN STANDING: ROCKY DE LA FUENTE CONTINUES TRUMP PRIMARY CHALLENGE

(no date): Rocky De La Fuente wins Alliance Party presidential nomination

That seems to mean that RDLF has joined that party.

"Rocky" De La Fuente wins Alliance Party presidential nomination; Darcy Richardson on ticket as VP following online convention | Rocky datelined April 27.

Full article:
"Rocky" De La Fuente wins Alliance Party presidential nomination; Darcy Richardson on ticket as VP following online convention | Benzinga

Alliance Party -- that party's home page. That party wants candidates who are willing to pledge:
  • Financial transparency: reveal tax returns and sources of campaign financing, and reject untraceable "dark money"
  • Term limits: a total of 12 years of time in office.
  • "Act in a non-partisan manner once in office and work for all of my constituents as a pragmatic problem solver. Rely on core Constitutional principles as my guiding light."
  • "Act with integrity, competence, courtesy, respect and in an ethical manner with citizens and fellow citizen-representatives regardless of affiliations. I will also honor all personal pledges to constituents."
  • "Not allow my personal, ideological, religious or other biases to have an undue influence on the peoples’ business by remaining intellectually open-minded and relying on verifiable data and best practices in crafting public policy."
  • "Not resort to negative campaigning and instead provide constructive proposals and Alliance Party perspectives."

This party is a combination of several other alternative parties.

First, there was the Modern Whig Party, formed in 2007. These parties then merged with it:
  • USA Party (2008)
  • Veterans Party (2008)
  • American Centrist Party (2010)
  • Center Party (2010)
  • National Centrist Party (2011)
  • American Moderate Party of California (2016)
On October 14, 2018, these parties then merged to make the Alliance Party:
  • American Moderates Party
  • Modern Whig Party
  • American Party of South Carolina
They were followed by
  • Independence Party of Minnesota (2019)
  • American Alliance Party (2019)
  • Independent Party of Connecticut (2020)
"Discussions are under way with other independent, grassroots parties and organizations to join the Alliance."

I don't think that The Alliance is ever going to get very far, except in some areas dominated by one of the two major parties. That's because of Duverger's law - first-past-the-post leads to a two-party system. What would be necessary for a true multiparty system is proportional representation, and The Alliance makes no mention of it.

What The Alliance should be doing is running candidates inside of existing parties, something like Brand New Congress, founded with the intention of acting like some European political party.

Back
Top Bottom