• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republicans openly admit they want to suppress the vote!

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I think a lot of Republicans in power realize they can only win by cheating. I've known they want to suppress the vote of those who most likely vote for Democrats, but I was surprised that some are so open about it. So, I'm posting an article from WaPo that gives details of what one crazy, Trumper, who some of you may be familiar with, said about how she thinks voting should be done. She especially wants to make it harder for college students to vote, as well as those who vote absentee, like some of my older friends who always vote for Democrats, but like the convenience of voting absentee.

https://wapo.st/3oHeaeg

A top Republican legal strategist told a roomful of GOP donors over the weekend that conservatives must band together to limit voting on college campuses, same-day voter registration and automatic mailing of ballots to registered voters, according to a copy of her presentation reviewed by The Washington Post.

Cleta Mitchell, a longtime GOP lawyer and fundraiser who worked closely with former president Donald Trump to try to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, gave the presentation at a Republican National Committee donor retreat in Nashville on Saturday.

The presentation — which had more than 50 slides and was labeled “A Level Playing Field for 2024” — offered a window into a strategy that seems designed to reduce voter access and turnout among certain groups, including students and those who vote by mail, both of which tend to skew Democratic.

Mitchell told her RNC audience that her organization, the Election Integrity Network, “is NOT about winning campaigns,” according to the text of the presentation. But the slides gave little other rationale for why campus or mail voting should be curtailed. At another point in the presentation, she said the nation’s electoral systems must be saved “for any candidate other than a leftist to have a chance to WIN in 2024.”
Jesus fucking Christ! Just read the entire article. These people are disgusting. They have no desire to live in a country that at least tries to lead towards democracy. It's already difficult for Democrats to win due to the electoral college, as well as the fact that even the least populated red states have the same number of Senators as the most populated states.

"Every time a Republican makes an accusation, it's actually a confession" - Medhi Hasan

"Republicans don't want to represent, they want to rule" - Beau of the Fifth Column.
I started coming to this realization in the late 90s. By 2010 I'd become effectively a straight ticket Democrats voter. This, despite being a lot more conservative than most Democrats.
Tom

"Every time a Republican makes an accusation, it's actually a confession" - Medhi Hasan

"Republicans don't want to represent, they want to rule" - Beau of the Fifth Column.
I started coming to this realization in the late 90s. By 2010 I'd become effectively a straight ticket Democrats voter. This, despite being a lot more conservative than most Democrats.
Tom
Yup--I'm pretty close to the Rockefeller Republicans. It's just there aren't any around anymore and the Democrats are a lot less bad than the QOP.

Tom
The Democratic Party has always been considered a big tent party, made up of liberals, centrists and moderate conservatives, for better or worse. Today's Republican Party is primarily made up of fascists and lunatics.

Today's Republican Party is primarily made up of fascists and lunatics.
And the stupid. Don’t forget the stupid; the dumbest 10% represent Republicans’ winning margin, where they still have one.
Stupid inhabits liberal voters too. It seems that cruelty is more of a conservative trait though.

And the stupid. Don’t forget the stupid; the dumbest 10% represent Republicans’ winning margin, where they still have one.
Stupid inhabits liberal voters too. It seems that cruelty is more of a conservative trait though.
But the stupid liberals aren’t the voting bloc swinging Democratic elections right now.

Your post reminded me of an article I read in the AJC at lunchtime. Some crazy woman in Southeast Georgia was just elected to some post in the GOP. She ran for some office in rural Georgia and although she only got 3% of the vote, she insisted she won. There's more....She called some of the GOP, "secret communists" and then said the Democrats were all "satanic pedophiles". Come to think of it, she's not just stupid, she's fucking nuts, and I say that with all due respect to most people who suffer from mental illnesses. She suffers from Trumpism, the newest mental illness that needs to be given its own medical code. You can't make this shit up!

Sure. The average GOP IQ might be as high as the average Demo IQ.

The difference is: Stupid Blues vote Blue DESPITE not understanding the Blue leadership's intelligent fact-based ideas. Stupid Reds vote Red BECAUSE they are pandered to by Red leaders pretending to be stupid.

There's stupid and there's insanely stupid. I have at least one dear friend who isn't very educated or sophisticated, but she has enough common sense to know that the Democrats will try to do a lot more to help people like her, compared to the Republicans. So, maybe it's more about having common sense than being smart or stupid. There are a hell of a lot of Trump supporters who have advanced college degrees. Maybe they aren't stupid, but they sure lack common sense, or they are simply greedy and know they will pay lower taxes when Republicans are in power. The perfect example is my brother in law, who is a dentist with decades of experience. He only cares about how much taxes he has to pay. Come to think of it, despite his advanced degree, he's not the brightest bulb in the box. In fact, a very close friend of mine who. had to drop out of high school and later got a GED is a lot smarter and has more common sense than my bro in law. She always votes for the Dems but then she's not wealthy, stupid or crazy.

There are a hell of a lot of Trump supporters who have advanced college degrees. Maybe they aren't stupid, but they sure lack common sense, or they are simply greedy and know they will pay lower taxes when Republicans are in power.

For all the hot air about that, the fact is that unless they are one- percenters, Trumpublicans will pay as much or more, and get less, with the right wingers in charge. It’s not a secret; they are willfully blind to the fact that (for instance) Cheato seized $1.5 TRILLION of taxpayer dollars and gave over 80% of it to his billionaire donors, while reminding them “I just made you all a whole lot richer”.
As you say, SH, there’s stupid and then there’s insanely, suicidally stupid. Some of the latter score very well on “intelligence” tests.

I really believe that intelligence is multi-pronged. People can be real smart in some stuff and terribly stupid in others. I generally break it down to partisan intelligence and general intelligence. General intelligence is like it sounds, the ability to recall the names of 18th century Colonial Generals. Partisan is hive mind and group association related. IE, politics, sports, competition... being able to see things without the goggles. Some are terribly deficient in that category. We usually suffer from some level of deficiency, but Trump supporters almost thrive on it. They are the ID'ers of politics, desperately seeking out ways to justify their positions (when their position is effectively "fuck the rest of humanity"), and others be damned if logic, information, or an article not published by Newscorp is introduced into the discussion. They have their partisan rage boner and it ain't goin' no where!

There's stupid and there's insanely stupid. I have at least one dear friend who isn't very educated or sophisticated, but she has enough common sense to know that the Democrats will try to do a lot more to help people like her, compared to the Republicans. So, maybe it's more about having common sense than being smart or stupid. There are a hell of a lot of Trump supporters who have advanced college degrees. Maybe they aren't stupid, but they sure lack common sense, or they are simply greedy and know they will pay lower taxes when Republicans are in power. The perfect example is my brother in law, who is a dentist with decades of experience. He only cares about how much taxes he has to pay. Come to think of it, despite his advanced degree, he's not the brightest bulb in the box. In fact, a very close friend of mine who. had to drop out of high school and later got a GED is a lot smarter and has more common sense than my bro in law. She always votes for the Dems but then she's not wealthy, stupid or crazy.
I realized a long time ago that intelligent, intellectual, and educated are three separate qualities that need not be correlated in any given person. Though I haven’t found intellectuals that weren’t also intelligent there are definitely distinct combinations of the three.

I really believe that intelligence is multi-pronged. People can be real smart in some stuff and terribly stupid in others. I generally break it down to partisan intelligence and general intelligence. General intelligence is like it sounds, the ability to recall the names of 18th century Colonial Generals. Partisan is hive mind and group association related. IE, politics, sports, competition... being able to see things without the goggles. Some are terribly deficient in that category. We usually suffer from some level of deficiency, but Trump supporters almost thrive on it. They are the ID'ers of politics, desperately seeking out ways to justify their positions (when their position is effectively "fuck the rest of humanity"), and others be damned if logic, information, or an article not published by Newscorp is introduced into the discussion. They have their partisan rage boner and it ain't goin' no where!
There's also emotional intelligence, which is similar to some of what you said in that post. I think most Republicans or at the least the trump kind seem to lack that. They don't have empathy or compassion for those who are different from themselves. Without a certain degree of emotional intelligence, it's difficult to be successful in life. By successful, I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about having friends or at least friendly acquaintances, and knowing how to get along with people, knowing how to solve conflicts, and not hating others just because they might be different from yourself, etc.

There are a hell of a lot of Trump supporters who have advanced college degrees. Maybe they aren't stupid, but they sure lack common sense, or they are simply greedy and know they will pay lower taxes when Republicans are in power.

For all the hot air about that, the fact is that unless they are one- percenters, Trumpublicans will pay as much or more, and get less, with the right wingers in charge. It’s not a secret; they are willfully blind to the fact that (for instance) Cheato seized $1.5 TRILLION of taxpayer dollars and gave over 80% of it to his billionaire donors, while reminding them “I just made you all a whole lot richer”.
As you say, SH, there’s stupid and then there’s insanely, suicidally stupid. Some of the latter score very well on “intelligence” tests.
The Christian Nationalists don't mind being screwed economically as long as the social liberals they despise get screwed by Right Wing reactionary social policies. They are quite willing to shoot themselves in their own feet if it allows them to wound those who support social justice. Politics is all about hate for them and Trump, DeSantis, et all, peddle that very well.

Back
Top Bottom